Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

Quote Originally Posted by nerine92 View Post
    U need to be stop being a hater here... I know 1 fact thing is JOE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A MAN!!! She could act i don't no y u said dat she cant act but obviously u just don't like her. her acting amazes people even tho its da script dat is ugly but course she can act way better than anyone in the series so do get that fact straight up in the brain your mama gave u!
    Nerine, j2j2j2 is entitled to his/her opinions and you shouldn’t be telling j2j2j2 to use his/her brain just because j2j2j2 doesn’t agree with you. Your opinions are not fact, merely opinions. So please be kinder in your respond next time.

I guess I’ll be the one going against the tide here. I do not think Joe is breathtakingly beautiful, she is average. Not ugly but not so beautiful. In fact, I think from some angle YSS looks better than Joe. I’ll be honest and say that I have only watch the first two episodes so things might have change later on but Joe’s performance was mediocre at best. From what I saw of the first two episodes, it was in fact almost horrible to watch. She is a total mismatch for the character of DFBB. Maybe it’s because the only actress I thought suitable to play this character was Brigitte Lin. She was incredible. Joe, however; lacks the charisma and body for this character. I just couldn’t take her seriously at all with her small frame. I felt like I was watching a child play make-believe villain. I do not hate Joe so I have nothing against her (I liked her in Prince Turn to Frog. Her acting wasn’t great either but it was an idol drama so I wasn’t expecting much). I just think her performance wasn’t as great as some people make her out to be. I watched the battle between DFBB and LHC in the bamboo forest and it was horrible. Acting, fight choreography, CGI, directing, etc. Everything was just incredibly horrendous.

I also do not understand the overwhelming hate for the actress YSS. I understand that many people are upset or unhappy over the butchery of the character RYY. There are so many reasons to hate the script, the CGI, the director, and the totally destruction of a beloved character, but why direct so much toward an actress? Do you guys honestly think that considering all of these things, another actress would have been any better? I have been following this thread and it seems most people can’t stand YSS and their main reason is that she can’t act. But some (not all) of these very same people also mention again and again that every time she’s on, they fast-forward…
    I don't make my decisions fearing fate, Fate makes his.

Quote Originally Posted by sesshomaru86 View Post
    Nerine, j2j2j2 is entitled to his/her opinions and you shouldn’t be telling j2j2j2 to use his/her brain just because j2j2j2 doesn’t agree with you. Your opinions are not fact, merely opinions. So please be kinder in your respond next time.

I guess I’ll be the one going against the tide here. I do not think Joe is breathtakingly beautiful, she is average. Not ugly but not so beautiful. In fact, I think from some angle YSS looks better than Joe. I’ll be honest and say that I have only watch the first two episodes so things might have change later on but Joe’s performance was mediocre at best. From what I saw of the first two episodes, it was in fact almost horrible to watch. She is a total mismatch for the character of DFBB. Maybe it’s because the only actress I thought suitable to play this character was Brigitte Lin. She was incredible. Joe, however; lacks the charisma and body for this character. I just couldn’t take her seriously at all with her small frame. I felt like I was watching a child play make-believe villain. I do not hate Joe so I have nothing against her (I liked her in Prince Turn to Frog. Her acting wasn’t great either but it was an idol drama so I wasn’t expecting much). I just think her performance wasn’t as great as some people make her out to be. I watched the battle between DFBB and LHC in the bamboo forest and it was horrible. Acting, fight choreography, CGI, directing, etc. Everything was just incredibly horrendous.

I also do not understand the overwhelming hate for the actress YSS. I understand that many people are upset or unhappy over the butchery of the character RYY. There are so many reasons to hate the script, the CGI, the director, and the totally destruction of a beloved character, but why direct so much toward an actress? Do you guys honestly think that considering all of these things, another actress would have been any better? I have been following this thread and it seems most people can’t stand YSS and their main reason is that she can’t act. But some (not all) of these very same people also mention again and again that every time she’s on, they fast-forward…
    Like you said, you are only on esp 2 so you will not understand it until you reach the scene where she makes her grand enterance which cause all the backlash. You will notice that her facial expression totally sucks and she can't seem to wipe this smirk off her face that seem to be her signature pose for every scene she appears. You may think Joe's expression is bad so far, but you will see the major difference between YSS and Joe's act ability further into the series. Its cause of YSS poor acting skiils that make Joe's outshine even more (if only comparing the lead ladies). The fact that she believes that she is a good fit for RYY (according to her interview) is outrageous cause she obveriously didnt do her homework and study the novel leading her to pull off the worse RYY so far in history. We dont think Joe is beautiful (plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but you will gradually fall for her character and the chemistry between her and LHC's character. Feel free to leave us your feedback and thoughts after you have watched this series to the end. I for one want to know if your impression or grounds are still the same after you complete this drama. There were many members that felt like you when they first started this series and then went through a 180 degree change and completely hated YSS/RYY from all angles.
    Last edited by bluedora28; 03-08-13 at 04:52 PM.

Excuse me but like u said... that is only ur opinion so don't butt in. Ur jus another joe chen hater. so don't make it sound like u have reason cuz u rele dun have any good reason. and who told u to watch joe's part if u hate her just watch RYY N LHC's part n i bet u won't even get pass it w/o DFBB. and i am kind enough until some pplz like u tick me off. n no YSS can never beat CQE when it comes to appearance. So u need to butt out from mah post n i will jus ignore u from now. :P

Quote Originally Posted by bluedora28 View Post
    Like you said, you are only on esp 2 so you will not understand it until you reach the scene where she makes her grand enterance which cause all the backlash. You will notice that her facial expression totally sucks and she can't seem to wipe this smirk off her face that seem to be her signature pose for every scene she appears. You may think Joe's expression is bad so far, but you will see the major difference between YSS and Joe's act ability further into the series. Its cause of YSS poor acting skiils that make Joe's outshine even more (if only comparing the lead ladies). The fact that she believes that she is a good fit for RYY (according to her interview) is outrageous cause she obveriously didnt do her homework and study the novel leading her to pull off the worse RYY so far in history. We dont think Joe is beautiful (plus beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but you will gradually fall for her character and the chemistry between her and LHC's character. Feel free to leave us your feedback and thoughts after you have watched this series to the end. I for one want to know if your impression or grounds are still the same after you complete this drama. There were many members that felt like you when they first started this series and then went through a 180 degree change and completely hated YSS/RYY from all angles.
    Bluedora i cannot say it any better than u do n if dat person up there still think joe sucks at acting then obviously we know she or he is a liar n jus doesnt want to admit it. I feel like even if YSS plays RYY as the worsest she could at least put some effort/emotion into it... *sigh*

YSS looks good and is a good actress for "palace-type" dramas.
    CQE looks good and is a good actress for "idol-type" dramas.
    Swordman is clearly an "idol-drama", hence CQE is a better actress for such dramas.

The "wooden-look" is clearly appropriate for the type of dramas YSS is most use to acting on. Also the scenes given to YSS seriously downgrades her role in this series. We can just blame YZ, and no one else.

If the series was not so "RUSHED" and more scenes and newly made-up "intimate" scenes were given to her, we would probably grow to like her, somewhat at least... She was just "FILLER" material for this series... YZ should have chosen a different actress for RYY's role, but YSS is "managed" by him, so clearly it's a financial decision. This is clearly a low-cost/low-budget, yet very high profit project.

I did not watch her performance as RYY but I saw her as the mother and she was not that bad. I get the hate and backlash but it just seems to me the extreme hate that some posters shown on here are unwarranted (at least it’s not all her fault. Bad script, etc). I will not be watching the rest of the show. I saw the bamboo fight scene and the scene where DFBB fall off the cliff. The bamboo fight was horrible and the cliff scene was a copycat of the one with Brigitte Lin (only lesser in quality). If these scenes are representative of the whole series than I would rather just re-watch the old remakes.

Quote Originally Posted by nerine92 View Post
    Excuse me but like u said... that is only ur opinion so don't butt in. Ur jus another joe chen hater. so don't make it sound like u have reason cuz u rele dun have any good reason. and who told u to watch joe's part if u hate her just watch RYY N LHC's part n i bet u won't even get pass it w/o DFBB. and i am kind enough until some pplz like u tick me off. n no YSS can never beat CQE when it comes to appearance. So u need to butt out from mah post n i will jus ignore u from now. :P
    I’m not the one saying my ideas are fact. I clearly stated those were my opinions only. You on the other hand were calling j2j2j2 names just because she/he doesn’t agree with you and stating your opinions as if they were facts. I do not hate Joe but you have clearly gotten into your head that anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a hater. One obviously cannot have a civil conversation with you so I’ll stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    .If the series was not so "RUSHED" and more scenes and newly made-up "intimate" scenes were given to her, we would probably grow to like her, somewhat at least... She was just "FILLER" material for this series... YZ should have chosen a different actress for RYY's role, but YSS is "managed" by him, so clearly it's a financial decision. This is clearly a low-cost/low-budget, yet very high profit project.
    I agreed.
    Last edited by sesshomaru86; 03-09-13 at 07:01 AM.

what you said is so great and i agree.. this is my first time watch joe and YSS in a series. i totally fall in love with Joe acting and she makes me go watch 100% Senorita(千金百分百) yeah LHC and DFBB in modern time lol.. now for YSS.. her acting is so suck. no matter what she speak.. she give that little smile on her face which make me sick.. i remember one of the scense where RYY's father was dead and LHC was talking her and then she talk it back with this little smiling.. i was like wtf..?come on man.. her father just dead and she still can smile?.omg wtf.

I did not watch her performance as RYY but I saw her as the mother and she was not that bad. I get the hate and backlash but it just seems to me the extreme hate that some posters shown on here are unwarranted (at least it’s not all her fault. Bad script, etc). I will not be watching the rest of the show. I saw the bamboo fight scene and the scene where DFBB fall off the cliff. The bamboo fight was horrible and the cliff scene was a copycat of the one with Brigitte Lin (only lesser in quality). If these scenes are representative of the whole series than I would rather just re-watch the old remakes.

No offense, If that is the case then you can't judge Joe's acting skill if you base it on the first eps 2. I'm not saying that you do have the rights to as you stated, its your own opinion but you came off judging Joe base on eps 2 which is kind of baseless. Atleast the ones that are bashing YSS have completed the series in order to add a piece of mind judging her acting. Her role as RYY has nothing much to do with the script but more on her acting skills cause she really doesn't have much to do for her role anyway. She is more like an extra to the series and even than she didnt manage to do a good job. I mean there is obviously a reason why sooo many ppl are bashing her for the same reason and it doesnt do you any good trying to go against the odd without backing your judgement especially if you dont plan on watching this series. You kept saying that you do not undertand why all the hate and backlash, but you dont even plan to watch the series to confirm if what ppl are saying is harsh or the truth, so obviously you are never going to understand. If you want to bring up a question, atleast put in the effort to find the answer since you are posting your judgment onto the forum (which seems as if you are criticizing those that dislike YSS for whatever reason). But then you pretty much are judging a book base on it cover with Joe.
    Last edited by bluedora28; 03-09-13 at 11:58 AM.

I agree that the role of RYY is pretty badly written. But if it was played by a good actress, they will be alot hated. More like people will hate the character rather than the actress. In YSS's case, people hate both actress & character with a 10th degree.

I do like Joe, but I don't think that she's an amazing actress. I think she's a good actress. In this serie, amongst the leads, she's the only one that seems like she's putting 100% into her role. Wallace seemed to give up little less than halfway. As for YSS, i have no idea what to say about her, as she had never even done her homework for her role to begin with. Has she even read the book?

No offense, If that is the case then you can't judge Joe's acting skill if you base it on the first eps 2. I'm not saying that you do have the rights to as you stated, its your own opinion but you came off judging Joe base on eps 2 which is kind of baseless. Atleast the ones that are bashing YSS have completed the series in order to add a piece of mind judging her acting. Her role as RYY has nothing much to do with the script but more on her acting skills cause she really doesn't have much to do for her role anyway. She is more like an extra to the series and even than she didnt manage to do a good job. I mean there is obviously a reason why sooo many ppl are bashing her for the same reason and it doesnt do you any good trying to go against the odd without backing your judgement especially if you dont plan on watching this series. You kept saying that you do not undertand why all the hate and backlash, but you dont even plan to watch the series to confirm if what ppl are saying is harsh or the truth, so obviously you are never going to understand. If you want to bring up a question, atleast put in the effort to find the answer since you are posting your judgment onto the forum (which seems as if you are criticizing those that dislike YSS for whatever reason). But then you pretty much are judging a book base on it cover with Joe.
    No offense taken.

However; I’ll have to disagree with you that I have to watch something in its entirety (or all the way through) to form an opinion on rather the acting is good or not. Yes, I only watched the first two episodes and two or three other scenes. The bamboo and cliff scenes were much later in the series but in my opinions, the acting didn’t improve (I’m not talking about just Joe here). I did not judge a book by its cover. It would be more like I read the prelude to the book and judge its contents base on that.

And if we go by your logic then many of the extreme posters bashing about YSS acting cannot be good judges either. As many of the extreme posters mentioned, they couldn’t even stand to watch her. Each time she comes on scene, they fast-forward. If they are fast-forwarding every time she’s on scene then how can they be any better judges? The same extreme people bashing about her horrible acting are the same ones who claimed they don’t even watch her scenes. I am not saying the hate isn’t justified, I’m saying the over the top hate is not. Many of RYY scenes were given to DFBB, the characteristic traits that many fans love about her were nonexistent. Not only that, but according to many posters on here, she’s a lying, hypocritical, conniving, *****, etc. If all of these are true then the blunt of fans’ hate should be directed toward the horrible script and director instead of an actress that has no power over the script. As you said, she doesn’t have much to do for her role. If so, what else did fans expect from her? If she was a better actress then she could possibly make fans hate her less. But I never once said that she was great or even good but that she does not deserve all the hate given the materials that she’s been given.
    And yes, there are many great bashing posts on here that were reasonable so my posts are not even aim at those posts. I'm just talking about the posts that were a little bit extreme.

Once again, I did not say that I do not understand the hate and backlash. I said that I did not understand the over the top hate (of course not all of the posters were screaming bloody murder but some were). Hate, I understand but the over the top hate shown in this thread for an actress that is given very little to work with through no fault of her own is just…

Anyway, it seems we can’t agree. You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I’m not watching the series because I do not want to be spending 30 or so hours pulling my hair in frustration.

I love this drama soooooooo much!!! I personally want DFBB & LHC to end up together. Their scenes were just too cute to be true. I read some of the comments and some people dislike the drama? the YZ production? the script? even the actresses?!! this is absurd!!!! because I love everything about it!!!! kind of weird right? well that's because I'm not chinese, but it also doesn't mean my opinion does not exist and shouldn't be voiced out. I would like to ask you guys some questions, don't take it seriously but just think about. If YZ was bad why is it still on going? If the scripts are bad why do actors & actresses still film with them? If an actress is bad at acting why does she have so many supporters?

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Xiong View Post
    I love this drama soooooooo much!!! I personally want DFBB & LHC to end up together. Their scenes were just too cute to be true. I read some of the comments and some people dislike the drama? the YZ production? the script? even the actresses?!! this is absurd!!!! because I love everything about it!!!! kind of weird right? well that's because I'm not chinese, but it also doesn't mean my opinion does not exist and shouldn't be voiced out. I would like to ask you guys some questions, don't take it seriously but just think about. If YZ was bad why is it still on going? If the scripts are bad why do actors & actresses still film with them? If an actress is bad at acting why does she have so many supporters?
    wait til you get past the first half of the series...it all starts going downhill....and also DFBB dies...and LHX ends up with RYY even though they have no chemistry together. The script..in my opinion is okay....could have been better...the acting/directing/computer graphics were bad.

that's easy: money, pretty face and a bed. That's probably how she gets it. I don't care if you are Chinese or not because what I think you should do is/what everyone should do is watch the 1996 version, that YZ literally copied all the scenes and lines. Like the death of LHC's master-lady, how his junior sister died, how RYY was poisoned, etc. He copied the 1996 script and claimed it as his own. Listen directors like that only appealed to the modern audience because everyone was shown nothing but trashy scripts and pretty faces. They don't care about skills anymore. If anyone want a good show got back to the pre-21st century drama. Not to say, there isn't a good one out there but it's hard to find one that relies on an actor/ess' abilities over CGI.

YSS is a terrible actress but YZ puts her everywhere cause she's cheap to hire. Like chain stores, you pay workers the least and charge the highest. She's replaceable that's why she's there. joe is okay cause she's the best actor in the whole series. Honestly Wallace disappoints me.

In this re-make:

YLS dumps LHC, who she knows for most of her life, for someone new that she recently met.

LHC dumps DFBB, who saved him countless times and helped soothe his broken heart, for someone new that he met just briefly.

This was one of the greatest inconsistencies I had trouble understanding. YLS got her retribution for being heartless, but where is LHC's retribution?

The unfairness in this story, in my opinion, is why I didn't like the ending. Life can be unfair, everyone knows that, but XAJH is suppose to be a story about the good people getting to live happily ever after and the bad gets their just retribution. DFBB became good, so she should have a second chance and a happy ending. LHc, on the other hand, all of a sudden, just seemed to become a hypocrite against DFBB and acted so heartless to her after meeting RYY just briefly.

some people dislike the drama? the YZ production? the script? even the actresses?!! this is absurd!!!!
    What's absurd is the story towards the later half. Inconsistency-fill...

If YZ was bad why is it still on going?
    Bad directors has exist throughout the age. Nothing new there.

If the scripts are bad why do actors & actresses still film with them?
    Money...Contract...More money...

If an actress is bad at acting why does she have so many supporters?
    Having supporters does not make ones value any more credible.

So you love this drama, good for you, that's your opinion.

I think the DFBB/LHC/RYY relationship issues has been moaned about to death. Yes, there was problems and inconsistencies with the writing and dialogue but some of the "minor" characters were done very well. I thought LPZ and YBQ were pretty good and despite the problems concerning character development and inconsistencies, it was a pretty good show if you ignore that it's a JY novel adaptation.

CGI is absolutely atrocious though. I have yet to see decent CGI implemented correctly but then again Western films/tv shows are a lot different.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, you guys have high standards for women.

EDIT2: Looking at the comments on Youtube, people don't think YSS is pretty either.
    Last edited by The Mighty Bob; 03-10-13 at 10:57 PM.

I want LHC and DFBB to end up together too and I liked the 'cute' scenes they had together, but unfortunately, that is not the ending. The ending is kind of extremely creepy. To answer your questions, I don't know why YZ is still producing. MRXJ produced by him was legitimately good, but it ends there. And I don't know why Wallace and Joe films with him either...I know there is money, but they usually have higher standards. Both are talented and Wallace is extremely good looking, which makes up for a lot lol. And if by actress with bad acting you mean YSS, then, well, I don't think she has supporters o.O

Maybe just a few, but she has no talent....or looks.... It would be fine if she was mediocre looking with great acting skills, or at least good looking with meh acting skills, but she has none of those qualities. I actually watch her scenes for Wallace, and it is really really bad. By which I mean really really bad. But still better than Gong 2. I only got through the second episode before I just could not stand her. Did yu finish the series yet? Maybe your opinion may change.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanblue View Post

Maybe just a few, but she has no talent....or looks.... It would be fine if she was mediocre looking with great acting skills, or at least good looking with meh acting skills, but she has none of those qualities. I actually watch her scenes for Wallace, and it is really really bad. By which I mean really really bad. But still better than Gong 2. I only got through the second episode before I just could not stand her. Did yu finish the series yet? Maybe your opinion may change.
    If you call 1.42 million followers a few, I guess.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/7e8a1888jw1e2lmw9382sj.jpg')
    Last edited by Shibao; 03-11-13 at 01:11 AM.

Wallace looks good but not YSS. These are not flattering pic of her. She looks like she's not going to age well in her years if that's a foreshadow of what she's going to like in the future.

They still have no chemistry whatsoever with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanblue View Post
    I want LHC and DFBB to end up together too and I liked the 'cute' scenes they had together, but unfortunately, that is not the ending. The ending is kind of extremely creepy. To answer your questions, I don't know why YZ is still producing. MRXJ produced by him was legitimately good, but it ends there. And I don't know why Wallace and Joe films with him either...I know there is money, but they usually have higher standards. Both are talented and Wallace is extremely good looking, which makes up for a lot lol. And if by actress with bad acting you mean YSS, then, well, I don't think she has supporters o.O
    This was Yu Zheng's first adaptation of a very popular Jin Yong wuxia classic, so Wallace and Joe must have thought, "What could ever go wrong with it?"

Wallace looks really chiselled good-looking in the magazine photo-spread - in fact, I think it's the best magazine photos I've seen of him! Just the wrong leading lady
    Last edited by xiaolong; 03-11-13 at 01:42 AM.
    I ship Shi-Harem