Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    I heard because of the "success" of Swordman, and the fan's admiration of DFBB's performance, they are thinking of making/re-making a series based on the 1993 film "The East is Red", w/ DFBB being the main focus of course. Without that annoying LHC & RYY combo, I think I'd enjoy such a series. A change of actress for the role would be unfortunate, though, as CQE/Joe's performance was quite good.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Thuchen View Post
    But that movie was so freaking bad. It destroyed eveything which had made swordsman 2 memorable and quite a classical, I still love to rewatch that movie even now though of course totally independent from the novel. But yes I would much enjoy CQE's performance if she reprises her role.
    seriously?? I don't know.. as much as I love DFBB and eager to look at Joe performance again.. but hell no!! I don't want to see her in bad production again, it such a waste of talent T.T

Remember how frustrated I was watching YZ twisted the storyline/plot to no make sense at all and don't forget the awful fight/CGI
    Last edited by dramalala; 03-16-13 at 06:24 AM.

Have this been posted? The Ngs...LOL.

Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 03-17-13 at 12:33 AM.

hello~
    hmm where did u get all those pic?

I just want to say...this drama makes me hate Ren Ying Ying and fall for Dong Fang Bu Bai...
    Also, Dong Fong Bu Bai is prettier than Ren Ying Ying in the show...by far...

Wow, speechless....I love wallace tho...he so cute
    So in love with Shao Feng(sword of romance), Dicky Cheung, Wallace Huo, Hu Ge, Vincent Jiao, Vincent Zhao, Steve ma.

Default Need to know if I'm watching the edited version or not of this series......

hello all,

I just now started watching this series. I am at episode 21. I am at the part where Dong Fang Bu Bai pretended to be Po Po and she was walking with Ling Hu Chong and suddenly a monk came and his name is Fang Sheng. Fang sheng immediately said that he knows Feng Qing Yang and gave LHC some medicine.

My question is, did they fight? I know in the book, they fought and that's why Fang Sheng mentioned Feng Qing Yang. But in this series, he just mentioned Feng Qing Yang out of no where.

When DFBB took LHC to the Shoalin Temple, the Shoalin Abbot Fang Zheng said LHC is Feng Qing Yang's disciple(傳人).

How did he know that?

I'm just wondering if i'm watching some kind of an edited version

thanks
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

Quote Originally Posted by QF View Post

thanks
    No, you are not. What you are experiencing is the series plot inconsistency. There's more further in.

hello all,

I just now started watching this series. I am at episode 21. I am at the part where Dong Fang Bu Bai pretended to be Po Po and she was walking with Ling Hu Chong and suddenly a monk came and his name is Fang Sheng. Fang sheng immediately said that he knows Feng Qing Yang and gave LHC some medicine.

My question is, did they fight? I know in the book, they fought and that's why Fang Sheng mentioned Feng Qing Yang. But in this series, he just mentioned Feng Qing Yang out of no where.

When DFBB took LHC to the Shoalin Temple, the Shoalin Abbot Fang Zheng said LHC is Feng Qing Yang's disciple(傳人).

How did he know that?

thanks
    I guess it is another one of the inconsistencies... It was said they filmed the scenes in a certain order as to reduce transportation, for actor/actresses' busy schedule, as well as set-tup cost and spliced them together at a later date... It obviously created holes in the series.

The "MISSING" scene would be DFBB had fought against a couple of monks and because of her constant need to use up her energy to preserve LHC's life, she killed only 1 "disrespectful" monk and LHC used his sword style against a few fleeing monk who recognized it in order to save the now injured DFBB from the monks. The monks later called Fang Sheng to take revenge against them. However, when LHC was w/ RYY, LHC also killed a non-monk, while a baldy-monk also ran away. LHC later mentioned he has saved DFBB and she has also saved him, "I wonder how the conclusion to our story will be, LHC says?" I guess it is in reference to the monk battle that never happened.

Later on, at the temple, DFBB offered her own life as repayment for killing a monk. Not sure if the non-monk and monk are from the same school.

In the book RYY killed 4 "Shaolin" monks. I guess the name "Shaolin" is now trademarked in China as well as Wudang....
    Last edited by szfong; 03-17-13 at 06:26 PM.

I guess it is another one of the inconsistencies... It was said they filmed the scenes in a certain order as to reduce transportation, for actor/actresses' busy schedule, as well as set-tup cost and spliced them together at a later date... It obviously created holes in the series.

The "MISSING" scene would be DFBB had fought against a couple of monks and because of her constant need to use up her energy to preserve LHC's life, she killed only 1 "disrespectful" monk and LHC used his sword style against a few fleeing monk who recognized it in order to save the now injured DFBB from the monks. The monks later called Fang Sheng to take revenge against them. However, when LHC was w/ RYY, LHC also killed a non-monk, while a baldy-monk also ran away. LHC later mentioned he has saved DFBB and she has also saved him, "I wonder how the conclusion to our story will be, LHC says?" I guess it is in reference to the monk battle that never happened.

Later on, at the temple, DFBB offered her own life as repayment for killing a monk. Not sure if the non-monk and monk are from the same school.

In the book RYY killed 4 "Shaolin" monks. I guess the name "Shaolin" is now trademarked in China as well as Wudang....
    Oh ok...thanks...I thought maybe there's another unedited version out there or whatever.

Thanks
    有了你開心D乜都清心滿意鹹魚白菜也好好味

Quote Originally Posted by State of Divinity View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gaSCP-tYaY

I believe the artist is 'Dong Zhen' and the song is 'Settle', or something like that.

Good song.
    Thnx I appreciated it very much

Oh ok...thanks...I thought maybe there's another unedited version out there or whatever.

Thanks
    You mentioned you are about half-way thru the series by now, just be warned that LHC's character turns into a hypocrite in the 2nd half of this adaptation.

In the book, LHC, after finding out the person who was wiling to trade her life for his, he cried miserably and promised to rescue her even if it means certain death. While hiding and eavesdropping at the temple, he swore to himself to protect his savior even if she was a Devil's Sect Leader or that she had done countless evil unpardonable deeds. And in a cave, his savior warned him that if he ever becomes ungrateful towards her, she would kill him nicely w/ a single stab of her sword. He laughed and says his life now belongs to her and she can take it whenever she liked. Later on he even told himself if his savior ever asks him to join the Devil's sect, he would definitely agree to it, but she never did because she greatly respected him and new what was in his heart.

In this adaptation, LHC's savior saved him not just once or twice, like in the novel, but countless number of times, and LHC repays her kindness by hurting her countless number of times in return. The spirit of LHC's kind and benevolent character in the novel is severely altered. A REALLY messed up and depressing storyline in the 2nd half of the series.

I really don't know what to say about this series at all. I just hope that whoever the director is, hopefully, he no longer has the right to direct another wuxia series -- because this series was really bad (and that's an understatement).

The story: I understand that each director has his/her own interpretation of the novel. However, the main objective is to bring that novel live to the audience. I am always a big fan of being faithful to the source material, but I don't mind at all if the director wants to make changes to the plot -- as long as it is CONSISTENT to the story. I've seen many wuxia series that started out interesting, only to faltered in the second half because the director has changed the story so much that it no longer make any sense. Sad to say, this adaptation is even worse than the one that was made by Singapore (Media Corp).

Wuxia series has to have that "adventurous and wuxia" feel to it. This series was a joke, basically an idol drama that borrows plot from a wuxia novel, mixed with really cheesy background and special effects.

For those who read the novel, what was LPZ's ending? Cuz I feel that the ending they gave to LPZ in this show didn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zhxzhx View Post
    For those who read the novel, what was LPZ's ending? Cuz I feel that the ending they gave to LPZ in this show didn't make sense to me.
    LPZ's ending is IDENTICAL to the 1996 TVB adaptation. He resides in the prison cell that DFBB used to in-prison RWX as a cripple on a wheelchair w/ his leg tendons sliced off by LHC. It is the same cell LHC had also spent a month or so in. DFBB resides under the frozen West Lake, half dead/half alive, haunting RYY at every opportunity by making her jealous & cry her "heart" out . LHC and RYY resides at the mansion next to the Lake and above the prison, drinking the now dead 4 Playfellows' wine, using their antique musical instruments, and enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I think Yun Zhen had NEVER read a novel in his life. He was like me in middle school... When we had a long book to read, I at least skimmed thru the book, bought Cliff Notes & watched the movie adaptation of the story. I was more into sports... So he only "steals/borrows/copied" from the other adaptations. Ignored the novel entirely.

I wonder what YZ does in his free time.... sleep, sex (w/ his employees), and junk food??
    Last edited by szfong; 03-23-13 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyPrince View Post
    I just want to say...this drama makes me hate Ren Ying Ying and fall for Dong Fang Bu Bai...
    Also, Dong Fong Bu Bai is prettier than Ren Ying Ying in the show...by far...
    I agree that this drama makes RYY a bit annoying but no way is DFBB prettier than RYY. In fact, before I saw this series, I thought they cast Joe because she does somewhat look like a man in ancient drag. So I was really surprised when they made her a woman because if they wanted real competition with RYY there were so many better actresses to cast. Don't really know what YZ was thinking.

Either way, this series is so bad. Even Wallace wasn't able to save it for me. Now I'm really hesitant to watch anything with his name attached to it.

One of the things that bugged me about this adaptation was that everybody looked so young. In the 1996 version, all the top-tier fighters looked old and wise with long beards and grey hair. Here, they look like young men in their 30s and most of them lacked facial hair. They either had a little moustache or no facial hair at all. When I think of wuxia, I see men with ridiculously long beards and grey hair. The only person that looked alright was Feng Qingyang. The nuns from North Mount. Heng Sect are too flashy to be nuns. They even had pink eyeshadow and lipstick, not to mention their hair! Yilin from SPW 96 was perfect. She didn't wear anything too colorful but still had that innocent and pretty look. The nuns here look more like they came from Emei. Everything was changed to make it prettier for the eyes. And what's up everybody's colorful attire? Green, yellow, orange, red. Reminds me of the colors on a parrot.

Some of the fighting scenes went overboard with the CGI. It looks more like fantasy wuxia (Chinese Paladin, Xuan Yuan Sword 3.) The scenes where Feng Qingyang and DFBB were fighting, DFBB and LHC with the wolves, LHC riding on a crane, and LHC and DFBB fighting in the forest made me and father laugh. He even said, "This reminds me of Journey to the West." And I haven't even gotten started with the character developments...
    Last edited by Yuet Thi; 03-25-13 at 02:52 AM.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!