Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

Nowadays, EVERYTHING action related is done using cables & green screen effects. I remember HK action stars use to brag "we don't use" green screens, but now these same people are using them in all their works as actors and as producers. They, of course, always blame it on "casualty/accident insurance"... I've seen big stars w/ at least 2-3 safety cables attached to them, that's really cowardly, compared to the old days... Hypocritical if you ask me...
    Last edited by szfong; 01-23-13 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charm101
    One does not need to wield a sword to fight. She just needs to fight like she's the BOSS.
    Wise words.

Unfortunately, all the flingy arms with the sword and fan looks she's fighting like a WINDMILL .

Quote Originally Posted by szfong
    I guess they have to change things or else they'll be boring/unsurprising because of all these moves & series "REBOOTs" lately. I hope LHC has at least 1 companion in the end, or else he's gonna have to shave his head and become a "nun-monk / monk-nun"
    Drastic plot changes don't need to be necessarily made - like it seems to be in this version. If the scriptwriter had to resort to such tactics to keep the show from being "boring/unsurprising", they not very good writers .

Nuances and differences can be expressed through different takes in portrayals of characters and events while keeping to the the main plot.

The expansion of DFBB's, I'm finding, seems more a promotional gimmick and vice because it's Joe Chen who's playing the role. That, or they're trying to achieve what they did in Swordsman II in the context of a series. Probably the latter - done without finesse. I could be totally wrong, and I would own up to it after I've seen it, but for a series to copy and paste from other adaptations...

We're either going to get an intriguing blend of plotlines that give a fresh take to the story. Or, we're going to get a sloppy patchwork of plots that only barely connect with each other, with our attention barely stringing along, staying purely because we all know it already.

They, of course, always blame it on "casualty/accident insurance"... I've seen big stars w/ at least 2-3 safety cables attached to them, that's really cowardly, compared to the old days...
    Perhaps it's not a case of cowardice, rather, better ways for ensuring safety. There's a fine line between cowardice and prudence. The consequence of a real injury, especially for one of the leads, is slowing down of filming. This may put pressure, and even shame, on the injured actor/actress for holding everyone up. It's not as if production crews would invest in onsite paramedics/doctors/Physios to take care of any aches and pains. Not like the tennis .

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    Wise words.

We're either going to get an intriguing blend of plotlines that give a fresh take to the story. Or, we're going to get a sloppy patchwork of plots that only barely connect with each other, with our attention barely stringing along, staying purely because we all know it already.
    From the trailers, it just appears they've taken scenes from the 2 movies & several series and glued them together, using younger actors, and better special effects.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    Perhaps it's not a case of cowardice, rather, better ways for ensuring safety. There's a fine line between cowardice and prudence. The consequence of a real injury, especially for one of the leads, is slowing down of filming. This may put pressure, and even shame, on the injured actor/actress for holding everyone up. It's not as if production crews would invest in onsite paramedics/doctors/Physios to take care of any aches and pains. Not like the tennis .
    I use to watch those older HK wuxia movies/series in the analog days on VHS, you can actually see the single steel cable attached to their harness, because it was hard to "erase" them. Re-mastered DVD/Blu-Ray versions fixed those, of course. I remember, a few production were so cheap that they used those cables beyond their safety re-use limits which caused some injuries. Nowadays, with everything going digital, they simply digitally copy a small blank area next to those many cables for each frame. Those action stars of the 70s-90s actually were muscular. Even the women can really do backflips, and are strong as hell in real life. The action stars you see now, are "chopstick" thin, no muscle tone at all, and strangely "powerful"... Almost sureal... They're probably afraid of heights, or break a nail, but I understand their predicament, if they fall, without a thick layer of muscle and strong bones, they are as good as "gone".
    Last edited by szfong; 01-24-13 at 07:08 PM.

Feb is approaching. My childhood will either be renew or destroy. Hopefully the former.

1st and 2nd introductory trailers from Hunan TV

Interview with Chen Xiao and Yang Rong

Wallace Huo's information site, forum and Facebook: www.wallacehuo.info

cant wait for this series. anyone gonna sub this series? also heard that yz is gonna be making rotch with chen xiao as yang guo? man really wanted hu ge to be yang guo...he was also perfect for lhc after seei g the myth n his other roles, but wallace is good too.

off topic, did jin yong banned tangren for from making his series since they changed lotch08 alot?

I could help translating this series on viiki, as long as segmenting and stuff is done in a timely manner, since i have translated quite abit over there!

Finally a LHC and RYY focus video. Yay! We are so close to air-date. I'm in anticipation.

Word has it that it'll begin broadcasting next week....

Hmm, in the trailer it seems DFBB have similar character with RYY, the difference that DFBB was more vicious and ambitious and didn't marry with LHC , eg LHC defends DFBB because of her evil sect background in front of his teacher, well that's supposed to happen with RYY instead of DFBB

well very curious with RYY character with DFBB also in LHC romance plate
    Last edited by 12blbl; 02-02-13 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12blbl View Post
    Hmm, in the trailer it seems DFBB have similar character with RYY, the difference that DFBB was more vicious and ambitious and didn't marry with LHC , eg LHC defends DFBB because of her evil sect background in front of his teacher, well that's supposed to happen with RYY instead of DFBB

well very curious with RYY character with DFBB also in LHC romance plate
    Yeah, new story lines are created & borrowed/substituted for DFBB from the previous adaptations... DFBB appeared very little in the original novel...

DFBB meets LHC early on in this adaptation, before he learned the sunflower manual.... Afterwards, he knew LHC would not be into the man turning into a woman thing, so he "created" a LHC look-a-like from an obedient sect soldier... however, the more DFBB learned the sunflower manual, the more DFBB wanted the original, and not some imitation/boy-toy He got bored w/ the "toy" and now competes for LHC's affection... LHC used his charm and the "special" relationships with various women & DFBB to get rescued many times and survive thru-out the entire story, while they themselves get killed off....

I am so excited for this~ but SING! just started today and so I won't be able to watch anything until next month

Is it just me or are those DFBB scenes from the facebook postings exactly the same as that of the video game thing? I mean, I knew Yu Zheng copied, but not this blatantly...maybe he bought the rights or something because there is no way he is not getting sued for ripping off every detail -.-

Quote Originally Posted by urbanblue View Post
    I am so excited for this~ but SING! just started today and so I won't be able to watch anything until next month

Is it just me or are those DFBB scenes from the facebook postings exactly the same as that of the video game thing? I mean, I knew Yu Zheng copied, but not this blatantly...maybe he bought the rights or something because there is no way he is not getting sued for ripping off every detail -.-
    He's copying it to the details. Straight up from the clothing color, fighting style, even having DFBB summoning crows into battle. Just like how he's copying story elements from the other adaptations as well. My question is, how many original content does he have in store for us and how quality are they?

this series is out?

Quote Originally Posted by bachtuyet View Post
    this series is out?
    The 4th or the 5th. Pretty much the coming days.

I still see no chemistry between LHC and RYY.

The real chemistry is between LHC and DFBB.

Quote Originally Posted by State of Divinity View Post
    The 4th or the 5th. Pretty much the coming days.
    Starting date is Wednesday, Feb. 6th....

Yue Lingshan character video