Thread: Swordsman 2012 《笑傲江湖》 - Wallace Huo, Joe Chen, Yuan Shan Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Thuchen View Post
    Well, I try my Chinese is limites. Although I have studied for three years, wuxia drama chinese is really another level of hinese than our daily talk....nevermind, I try, so I am sorry in advance if I do translate not correctly.

LHC: You have some guts. Just like that you are going to try catching wolves. You don't fear they hurt you, bit you to death, do you?!
    DFBB: I didn't think that much. I just don't want you to die. I still hope there is one day I'll still be able to drink with you and play zither together. Don't misunderstand. I am not Yilin and also not your little sect sister. I saved you just because I doN't want Yilin to be sad.
    LHC: I don't have anything with Yilin.
    DFBB: She likes you.
    LHC: She likes me, that is her business. Miss Dongfang, I ask you, feelings - if they are only on one side, can that work out? Do you really think like this? Today I am very moved that you killed wolves to get galls for me. Not to say I am a soon-to-die man, even if I will live, I also don't want to go against my feelings. Do you know, in this lifetime no one has ever been that good to me except for you. You even don't care about your lown life. I already said everything. I am a soon-to-die man. Now I only want to follow my heart, what I want to say I will just say. If you think I have misunderstood your intentions, then I am very sorry. Overall, thanks for being so good to me. Take care of yourself.
    DFBB: Why are you like this? I already tried to control myself. I don't want to have any relation with you, I don't want Yilin to be sad. From the very first time I met you, my heart was like falling into deep, deep water, it neither can push it away nor can it run away from it. my heart just wants to be with you. There was someone who told me before: Feelings can't be forced. And also can't near it. But when I saw you, I just changed till I am not like me anymore. I....
    LHC: Don't say anything anymore. Don't say no more.

Oh well, I tried my best, I think the last part of DFBB seems a bit off a bit, but I think you get the conversation, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by tristevie View Post
    The conversation in the cave scene, goes something like this:
    DFBB: I just don't want you to die. One day I hope we can still drink together and play music together.
    LHC *surprised*
    DFBB: Don't misunderstand. I'm not Yi Lin, or your sister (YLS) I saved you because I don't want YL to be sad.
    LHC: *exasperated* There's not anything going on between me and Yi Lin
    DFBB: ...She likes you bel
    LHC: If she likes me, that's her problem. Miss Dong Fang, do you really think love is possible one-sided? Do you really believe that? Today, you risked your life killing wolves, I'm really moved. It's no secret, I'm dying. Even if I live, I don't want to betray my feelings. *Makes a move towards DFBB* Did you know, my whole life, no one has ever been this good to me. Apart from you. You don't seem to even care about losing your life. I've said it before, I'm nearly dying. Right now, I just want to follow my heart. I'll say what I want to say. If you think, I've misunderstood you, I'm really sorry. Regardless, thank you for being so good to me. Take care.
    DFBB: *hugs LHC* Why did you have to do this? I've been trying to control myself, I don't want anything to happen between us. I don't want to upset Yi Lin. Ever since I first met you, my heart, feels like I've fallen into deep lake water...I can't push it away, I can't hide. My heart wants me to rely on you. Someone told me once, love cannot be forced...and you can't get too close to it. But ever since I met you, I've become less and less like myself. I--
    LHC: *hugs DFBB* Don't talk. Don't talk...(It's okay)

Some of it cannot be translated literally, its more of a feeling, implication in their words too.
    How sweet...thanks for the translations both of you. Now I appreciated the scene much more.

Yeah that's it! A lot of people wrongly assume she dies when she falls off that cliff, but then Feng QingYang heals her, and he saw her and LHC together first, so I suppose he understands her love towards him. Following on from that, I think there's still a few scenes until she finally dies giving her heart to RYY. Unless LHC finds out about it, it will too tragic to even think about.
    True, this would be too tragic. But I guess then it probably is true whe he said we would never be able to forget DFBB. But still I don't want our hero to be living in well kind of regret, afterall he misundersttod her all the time and then she dies giving her heart to his wife....too tragic...too much for my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuchen View Post
    Well, I try my Chinese is limites. Although I have studied for three years, wuxia drama chinese is really another level of hinese than our daily talk....nevermind, I try, so I am sorry in advance if I do translate not correctly.

LHC: You have some guts. Just like that you are going to try catching wolves. You don't fear they hurt you, bit you to death, do you?!
    DFBB: I didn't think that much. I just don't want you to die. I still hope there is one day I'll still be able to drink with you and play zither together. Don't misunderstand. I am not Yilin and also not your little sect sister. I saved you just because I doN't want Yilin to be sad.
    LHC: I don't have anything with Yilin.
    DFBB: She likes you.
    LHC: She likes me, that is her business. Miss Dongfang, I ask you, feelings - if they are only on one side, can that work out? Do you really think like this? Today I am very moved that you killed wolves to get galls for me. Not to say I am a soon-to-die man, even if I will live, I also don't want to go against my feelings. Do you know, in this lifetime no one has ever been that good to me except for you. You even don't care about your lown life. I already said everything. I am a soon-to-die man. Now I only want to follow my heart, what I want to say I will just say. If you think I have misunderstood your intentions, then I am very sorry. Overall, thanks for being so good to me. Take care of yourself.
    DFBB: Why are you like this? I already tried to control myself. I don't want to have any relation with you, I don't want Yilin to be sad. From the very first time I met you, my heart was like falling into deep, deep water, it neither can push it away nor can it run away from it. my heart just wants to be with you. There was someone who told me before: Feelings can't be forced. And also can't near it. But when I saw you, I just changed till I am not like me anymore. I....
    LHC: Don't say anything anymore. Don't say no more.

Oh well, I tried my best, I think the last part of DFBB seems a bit off a bit, but I think you get the conversation, right?
    I thought you did a beautiful job. Thanks so much. Since I don't understand mandarin, I was hoping he confessed that he loved her but it didn't seemed that way.

The conversation in the cave scene, goes something like this:
    DFBB: I just don't want you to die. One day I hope we can still drink together and play music together.
    LHC *surprised*
    DFBB: Don't misunderstand. I'm not Yi Lin, or your sister (YLS) I saved you because I don't want YL to be sad.
    LHC: *exasperated* There's not anything going on between me and Yi Lin
    DFBB: ...She likes you bel
    LHC: If she likes me, that's her problem. Miss Dong Fang, do you really think love is possible one-sided? Do you really believe that? Today, you risked your life killing wolves, I'm really moved. It's no secret, I'm dying. Even if I live, I don't want to betray my feelings. *Makes a move towards DFBB* Did you know, my whole life, no one has ever been this good to me. Apart from you. You don't seem to even care about losing your life. I've said it before, I'm nearly dying. Right now, I just want to follow my heart. I'll say what I want to say. If you think, I've misunderstood you, I'm really sorry. Regardless, thank you for being so good to me. Take care.
    DFBB: *hugs LHC* Why did you have to do this? I've been trying to control myself, I don't want anything to happen between us. I don't want to upset Yi Lin. Ever since I first met you, my heart, feels like I've fallen into deep lake water...I can't push it away, I can't hide. My heart wants me to rely on you. Someone told me once, love cannot be forced...and you can't get too close to it. But ever since I met you, I've become less and less like myself. I--
    LHC: *hugs DFBB* Don't talk. Don't talk...(It's okay)

Some of it cannot be translated literally, its more of a feeling, implication in their words too.
    Thank you also for the beautiful translation. I thought somewhere he would confessed he loved her but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by christinatran View Post
    I thought somewhere he would confessed he loved her but I guess not.
    It's more beautiful this way. Because the expressions/feelings are subtle, we can take it either way.

Don't know about you guys, but I definitely feel the chemistry between LHC & DFBB. Not sure how it is between LHC & RYY & whether they will develop better chemistry later in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by se_lang View Post
    Don't know about you guys, but I definitely feel the chemistry between LHC & DFBB. Not sure how it is between LHC & RYY & whether they will develop better chemistry later in the series.
    I think he's going do what YLS did to him... after someone framed him... Out with the old flame (Miss Dong Fang, bullied & framed by others) and in with the new (RYY)...

DFBB's acting is MUCH more natural/sincere than the stiff, over-acting of RYY...

Even in interviews YSS, says she doesn't mind being "out-shined", which usually means she REALLY mines the fact she is not even close to the level Joey Chen is at...
    Last edited by szfong; 02-18-13 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by se_lang View Post
    I agree that Wallace and Joe have some amazing onscreen chemistry. Plus they're good friends in real life and used to date years before. I don't think LHC and RYY would have the same level of chemistry and the main reason being Yuan Shan Shan's acting is just very bad...not horrible, but not good either....which is a real shame. If any of you have seen the Zhang Ji Zhong version, the LHC and RYY (while not the best looking actors) have really extremely amazing chemistry b/c they're such GREAT actors.

General thoughts:
    • Treat this like a new wuxia romance and try to forget that this is XAJH. The series is not faithful at all, but I think still ok to watch if you minus that, though I have been skipping through here and there because some scenes seem to drag on forever
    • The power struggles, agendas of different characters are more open in this series than previous adaptations, not sure if I like this take
    • DFBB pretty much steals the show on the female side and I can’t see how it’s going to make sense for LHC to fall for RYY
    • YSS is a serious miscast, who plays RYY as the exact same character as all her other weepy palace dramas. YSS should stop smiling because it looks really bad and she should also stop crying over, particularly when it’s over LHC in the first 10 mins of her appearing onscreen
    • I cannot stand Yi Lin, probably not through the fault of the actress, but the stupid pink costumes they have. I can’t take them seriously and at no point does she seem like a nun. She looks like a bimbo in pink and acts like one
    • What on earth did they do to the sexy Lan Feng Huang. She's pretty annoying which is a shame because I quite liked her character

Quote Originally Posted by State of Divinity View Post
    How ironic during early production many fear the changes for DFBB and hate Joe Chen, but now the table have turn and most of the love goes to DFBB/Joe Chen. If anything, I find that very fascinating.

As much as there are still haters of this DFBB, there's also just as much love...

Interestingly enough, YZ manages to make this unpredictable as well, as we're still uncertain how it would end. At least regarding DFBB anyway...If the heart exchange deal actually does come to pass, I would cry, because it would be such a beautiful yet tragic end.
    If the heart exchange thing happens i would be so sad too, but at least most viewers would have their happy lhc and ryy ending :/ cuz dfbb dies in the original one too

Quote Originally Posted by RYYfan View Post
    I agree that Wallace and Joe have some amazing onscreen chemistry. Plus they're good friends in real life and used to date years before. I don't think LHC and RYY would have the same level of chemistry and the main reason being Yuan Shan Shan's acting is just very bad...not horrible, but not good either....which is a real shame. If any of you have seen the Zhang Ji Zhong version, the LHC and RYY (while not the best looking actors) have really extremely amazing chemistry b/c they're such GREAT actors.
    I think yss is not bad but she just has a hard time being a lead and carrying out her dramas because so much pressure is on her, yz tries too hard to promote her

Quote Originally Posted by XoXoPsychoPathxD View Post
    I think yss is not bad but she just has a hard time being a lead and carrying out her dramas because so much pressure is on her, yz tries too hard to promote her
    It's also very ironic of YZ to try and promote YSS, yet give her a RYY that is overshadow by DFBB...

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    General thoughts:
    • Treat this like a new wuxia romance and try to forget that this is XAJH. The series is not faithful at all, but I think still ok to watch if you minus that, though I have been skipping through here and there because some scenes seem to drag on forever
    My thoughts exactly. When I started watching this I kept critisizing the parts that deviated from the novel and it got to a point I realized I was not enjoying the show. Then I decided not to think about it and just enjoy and so far I am having a blast -kinda.

lol quite frankly im enjoying this show more than the original novel.. i mean im bored of the original since its be adapted so many times, this new take gives a twist to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    General thoughts:
    • The power struggles, agendas of different characters are more open in this series than previous adaptations, not sure if I like this take
    • DFBB pretty much steals the show on the female side and I can’t see how it’s going to make sense for LHC to fall for RYY
    • YSS is a serious miscast, who plays RYY as the exact same character as all her other weepy palace dramas. YSS should stop smiling because it looks really bad and she should also stop crying over, particularly when it’s over LHC in the first 10 mins of her appearing onscreen
    • I cannot stand Yi Lin, probably not through the fault of the actress, but the stupid pink costumes they have. I can’t take them seriously and at no point does she seem like a nun. She looks like a bimbo in pink and acts like one
    • What on earth did they do to the sexy Lan Feng Huang. She's pretty annoying which is a shame because I quite liked her character

I agree completely with your points. In the beginning I did enjoy it, but then the plot holes and the cheapness started to ruin it for me. I just can't accept them doing that to XAJH in the fashion that they did it in. Swordsman 2 completely deviated, but I was fine with that because everything was executed so well. However, that is not the case here....and YSS. I really need to let that go...

I agree that this version is interesting. Since it deviates so much from the original novel, you don't know what's going to happen next. All the previous versions are more or less the same. It would be quite boring for YZ to produce an exact copy except to switch out the actors.

That said, the inconsistencies in production and YZ rendering a lot of main characters useless make this series fall WAY short of my expectations. Not sure if anyone noticed this, but in the first few episode, even the voice actors dubbing aren't synced correctly to the actors' lips. Also, this is supposed to be martial arts series right? Then why is the action so sparse and few in between? This series is basically an idol drama starring LHC and DFBB, then multiply the episode by 3x the length lol. This series is entertaining, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't consider it a classic like some of Zhang Ji Zhong's Jing Yong productions.

I really hope the next 20 episodes will be better, since most of the actual showdown between all the big shots happen in the last few episodes. Can't wait for this series to reach its climax. I need more action and fighting!

My thought exactly 0-0-0. Though this series deviates a lot from the novel, I really enjoye watching LHC and DFBB scenes . I wonder what would happen if Joe Chan casted as ruthless and caring RYY and not DFBB.. then this series would level with 2001 production of ZJZ.. ( on chemistry between the leads of course).. not the fighting scenes . God I will be definitely heartbroken seeing the last DFBB scenes .

Quote Originally Posted by yyouus View Post
    My thought exactly 0-0-0. Though this series deviates a lot from the novel, I really enjoye watching LHC and DFBB scenes . I wonder what would happen if Joe Chan casted as ruthless and caring RYY and not DFBB.. then this series would level with 2001 production of ZJZ.. ( on chemistry between the leads of course).. not the fighting scenes . God I will be definitely heartbroken seeing the last DFBB scenes .
    I think joe chen would make a really good ryy, too bad yz likes to twist characters and plots . But at least its still entertaining to watch

Quote Originally Posted by XoXoPsychoPathxD View Post
    I think joe chen would make a really good ryy, too bad yz likes to twist characters and plots . But at least its still entertaining to watch
    Cast Joe Chen as RYY and a male actor as DFBB, stick closer to the novel, with better production value, this would have been a huge success...

Interestingly enough however, Swordsman has just broke the rating of 3...

have to say this new adaptation is really fun to watch.