Thread: What is the most awesome 1:1 fight in JY universe?

Default What is the most awesome 1:1 fight in JY universe?

A lot of JY's famous fight scenes are not 1:1. Let's toss those out of this discussion. This is all about 1:1.

Which is the best 1:1 fight JY ever conceived?

Some contenders are:

LOCH: OYF vs H7G at Huang Yaoshi's island

ROCH: YG vs GWM at the end
    YG vs ZBT
    H7Q vs OYF again

DGSD: Xuzhu vs JMZ
    Tianshan Tonglao vs Li Qiushui

HSDS: ZWJ vs Kongxing

SPW: LHC vs Chongxu
    Fangzheng vs RWX
    ZLC vs RWX
    LHC vs RWX
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

A lot of the sub-elite fights were pretty fun. LHC vs Tian Boguang is pretty amusing, as was Xie Xun vs Granny Gold Flower. The elite fights are highly anticipated, but I rarely reread them because they all feel pretty similar to me. Zhang Wuji's fights are more fun to read than most fights in ROCH/LOCH/DGSD also.

Gu Long generally did the one-on-one thing better than Jin Yong did, but if I had to pick out a personal favorite, it'd be Gwok Jing and Au Yeung Fung's quick tilt at the beginning of ROCH.

LHX and TBG is my favourite. I was really bored with SPW but when I read that scene, I fell in love with the story.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    A lot of the sub-elite fights were pretty fun.
    I agree. They may not be the most awesome, but they have their own charm. The way Mr. Moda murdered that one fellow (Great Songyang Palm Fei Bin I think?), is one of the great badass moments, although it wasn't an evenly matched one.

I also like fights where someone does something beyond what we would expect. Like Ding Busi's palm wind being able to shatter brick walls. And Ying Gu performing the most impressive LDA in LOCH/ROCH.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Zhang Wuji, Wudang, Taiji sword. The whole passage, from learning the swordplay to executing it.
    Yang Guo sparring against the Divine Eagle with the heavy sword and the wooden sword.

Unlike most of Jinyong's high level fights, these actually felt like real fights.

Ouyang Feng vs Hong Qi Gong on the boat was pretty awesome IMHO.

I actually liked Zuo Lengchan vs Yue Buqun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    I actually liked Zuo Lengchan vs Yue Buqun as well.
    I wonder if Yue Buqun at the time could have beat Zuo Lengchan without using a poison needle, and faking him out with the Real vs Fake Evil-Resisting Sword Technique.

As powerful as PXJF is, YBQ only studied it for a few months, and Zuo is on the same level as Ren Woxing more or less.

Lin Pingzhi was able to simultaneously defeat the hunchback and Yu Canghai, whose "real level" of martial arts' and inner strength were many times higher than his. I don't know how well that would extrapolate to higher level fighters though.

I wonder if Yue Buqun at the time could have beat Zuo Lengchan without using a poison needle, and faking him out with the Real vs Fake Evil-Resisting Sword Technique.

As powerful as PXJF is, YBQ only studied it for a few months, and Zuo is on the same level as Ren Woxing more or less.

Lin Pingzhi was able to simultaneously defeat the hunchback and Yu Canghai, whose "real level" of martial arts' and inner strength were many times higher than his. I don't know how well that would extrapolate to higher level fighters though.
    ZLC was definitely nowhere near RWX. He only won by tricking RWX into sucking his ice energy which causes "health" problems to RWX. To be honest, I felt that if RWX haven't been exhausted from fighting FZ, even with that injury from ZLC, he would have sufficient in his tank to give ZLC one last blow and kick his ***.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoyatika View Post
    ZLC was definitely nowhere near RWX. He only won by tricking RWX into sucking his ice energy which causes "health" problems to RWX. To be honest, I felt that if RWX haven't been exhausted from fighting FZ, even with that injury from ZLC, he would have sufficient in his tank to give ZLC one last blow and kick his ***.
    RWX is a bit stronger, but ZLC should be fairly close to him. He used that trick to ensure victory and might have lost in a straight up fight, but he is on the same general level of martial arts judging from the what was said prior to the fight. Probably like a Qiu Qianren/Greats type relationship.

I think that the image of wuxia is that it boils down to a direct one-on-one confrontation between the protagonist and the main villain. I don't think that this is the way it pans out in a lot of different books and Jin Yong himself doesn't seem to ascribe to it.

When it comes to his fight scenes, he's interested in a lot more than who wins and what moves they used. Instead, Jin Yong spends a lot of effort setting up the fight, explaining the perspectives of all the combatants, what everyone is thinking as the fight progresses, and so on. As such, one-on-one fights aren't really that important in his books.

If I were pick a particularly interesting fight, it'd be the one between Linghu Chong and Tian Boguang where they're sitting down. But that would have more to do with the conversation they have beforehand, and the way the fight is related to the reader than it does with the fight itself.

When it comes to non one-on-one fights, Xiaolongnu's fight in the Chongyang Temple easily takes the cake.

RWX is a bit stronger, but ZLC should be fairly close to him. He used that trick to ensure victory and might have lost in a straight up fight, but he is on the same general level of martial arts judging from the what was said prior to the fight. Probably like a Qiu Qianren/Greats type relationship.
    That's right. Zuo Lengchan is a very good martial artist and he wouldn't pick a fight if he was entirely reliant on tricks. If his plan didn't work, he'd have probably lost but it wouldn't have been an embarrassing loss.

On a similar note, Yue Buqun probably could have won against Zuo Lengchan without using tricks, but since he needed to do more than win, he didn't have any other option. And even if he could win, it probably wouldn't have been by very much.

LHC vs CX is an awesome fight. Dunno if it's Number 1 1v1 fight in JY universe though. I always enjoy that read when I come across it.

Once in a generation comes across secret Guru, fights and defeats him. Almost like one of those 'solve an unsolvable math problem during math exam' type stories.

Also liked YG vs GWM and YG vs QQR with his HIS. YG's dominance at the time (plot/plot-armor wise) was pretty cool.

@ToastedRossi

The ROCH couple really showed their stuff at Chongyang Temple, if it had the *multiple sects showing up so chapter is instantly hype* factor, it'd be pretty awesome. I always liked the Shaolin fights (DGSD), ZWJ Ming Peak just because the hero gets that 'become a celebrity' event which is pretty cool.

I pretty enjoy the one on one fight between XLN Vs GWM
    I am not sure why
    probably because I am a female and I enjoy the scene of female pugilist being strong against Men

Quote Originally Posted by ToastedRossi View Post

That's right. Zuo Lengchan is a very good martial artist and he wouldn't pick a fight if he was entirely reliant on tricks. If his plan didn't work, he'd have probably lost but it wouldn't have been an embarrassing loss.
    Call me a fervent supporter of RWX, but I am still sticking to RWX being substantially stronger than ZLC. ZLC entered the fight based on trickery. He was confident as RWX was imprisoned for years. Plus, I think he was actually itching for a fight with RWX. To add on, by fighting for this cause, he would be able to win favour from Shaolin and Wudang for being "righteous", which furthers his cause as the wulin meng zhu.

i like Hu Yidao vs Miao Renfeng in flying fox, the one that took 5 days