Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tales of Vengeance

Default WOW! GREAT STORY!!

hey! im a new user and i juss read the first 2 chappies of ur story. great job! i love ur style of writing, so descriptive and rich. keep up the good work and update soon!

www.winglin.net/fanfic/theabsconder

Talking Announcement

We hope to have this fan-fic updated soon. Charbydis is working on Chapter 28th and she'll post it once she returns from vacation. So please stay tuned.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Talking Yes!

Charbydis has finished writing Chapter 28. If only that Old Woman would hurry up and post it. Send her down the dungeon and torture her for making you guys wait so long....I won't be biase and defend her..hehehhehe....

Charby, you know I'm kidding..hehehh Whoa almost 2 years without a new chapter...I hope it won't take us longer to get chapter 29 and 30 written and posted.....
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 08-27-05 at 02:55 AM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Charbydis has finished writing Chapter 28. If only that Old Woman would hurry up and post it. Send her down the dungeon and torture her for making you guys wait so long....I won't be biase and defend her..hehehhehe....

Charby, you know I'm kidding..hehehh Whoa almost 2 years without a new chapter...I hope it won't take us longer to get chapter 29 and 30 written and posted.....
    You meanies, just because I am 99 years young and live alone with me pet TV in my dungeon with snakes and am waiting for a visit from a martian, doesn't mean you can force me to post my chapter up!

Or maybe if you offer me some cake I might! Ok. Here it is...

Chapter 28

While Miao Ting Feng and his friends were snoring away, many miles away, an old woman looked up into the sky and sighed.

The night was cold and the night breeze was blowing upon the old woman's face, exposing the cruel traces of age that has remained since her youth abandoned her many years ago.

She looked up at the full white moon, glistening next to its twinkling neighbours, humming a soft tune....'Twinkle Twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are..."

Suddenly, she sat up and noticed the moon becoming bigger and bigger as it approached her. And in no time, a big white metal plate with shining red light appeared before her. "This must be what my great-grandmother, the great seer Suet Seung (who was married to Harry Potter) predicted many moons ago as she was eating mooncake, would appear many years later today! This must be a UFO, those Ugly Flying Objects!" she thought to herself as an opening appeared in the side of the craft.

A green man came out, no taller than six feet high and with both arms open, exclaimed, "Welcome Charbydis, I have come to invite you to our planet. Leave the Earth and forever deprive its beings of TOV chapters! There are a lot of chocloate here in here as well!"
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Talking

Chapter 28: Turtles and Snakes

“Then what do you suggest, my brother?” asked Chen Gu Xing, “Chen Zheng Ren’s men should be searching even more frequently for our traces since last night, and it is best if we don’t have any suspicions amongst our own people!”

Miao Ting Feng coughed as the cool morning air blew into his mouth dried up the remaining alcohol in his mouth, “I am afraid that Sworn Sister will become too close with the Scholar, and if our suspicions about him were true, I am afraid that her innocent and free personality will cause her to accidentally leak any information about us without her even knowing!”

Chen Gu Xing touched the side of his fake face, it was getting hard and dry. Sighing that he could never keep the same face for more than one night, not to mention till the next morning for with all the commotion the night before, he had forgotten to change it. He exclaimed, “Don’t worry, Sworn Sister is not a fool, and neither are we. If something is fishy about the Scholar, I still have many tricks up my sleeve to reveal it. Anyway, the Scholar now is not the most important risk to us.”

Miao Ting Feng looked up at him and asked, “You think Chen Zheng Ren’s men will catch up to us that quickly? I don’t think so. We have already rented rooms in a normal house, rather than in an inn, to avoid being found that easily. And they won’t easily find where we are staying until two or three days later, and by then, we will be long gone already! ”

Chen Gu Xing laughed, but then quickly stopped. Laughing too hard was not good for his already dry face. It had started to crack at the sides. It always happens when he shows too much emotion. “I mean even more immediate than that. As I was coming in, I saw Sworn Sister laughing to herself and walked into the kitchen. I think our lunch is doomed! Anyway, I have to go back to my room now, I feel that my face is going to fall off any moment!”

Miao Ting Feng couldn’t tell whether it was a joke or reality, but he didn’t laugh. Or smile. As Chen Gu Xing turned to leave for his own room, Miao Ting Feng watched and released the tightened fist that he had held underneath his clothing, but immediately tensed up again as Chen Gu Xing suddenly turned around and asked suspiciously, “What was Miss Lin crying about?”

Miao Ting Feng smiled and replied, “Nothing. Women always cry about nothing. Especially her.”

Chen Gu Xing didn’t quite believe him, and his expression helped him tell Miao Ting Feng was not telling him everything, “She was crying about you, wasn’t she?”

Miao Ting Feng quickly avoided direct eye contact with his sworn brother as he lied, pretending to grab his sword and clean it, “How would I know? I don’t have time to care for such minute things! As long as my enemy lives and my family left unavenged, I don’t want to think of anything else but my Faithful Heart Sword slicing through Cheng Zheng Ren’s cold, black heart!”

Miao Ting Feng sneaked a glance at Chen Gu Xing from the reflection of his blade, and noticed that Chen Gu Xing harboured a guilty look on his face, but it quickly disappeared as Chen Gu Xing resumed his normal straight face.

After a short awkward silence, Chen Gu Xing exclaimed, “It is good to be dedicated to something, but just don’t be blind to other things around you!” And he left his friend sitting alone by the table.

Miao Ting Feng sat along underneath a tree full of bird nests, but it was very quiet as the little birds had not yet awoken. Clouds still covered the morning skies just like the clouds of suspicion and insecurity wavered over his mind. He thought about the last phrase, and to himself, he uttered quietly, ‘I will not be blinded by my revenge. But I will not anything get in the way of it!”

His tensed up muscled finally relaxed again as he felt safe in his solitude. He wished he hadn’t, but he couldn’t help it. He wished he could feel safe and peaceful with his friends, but he couldn’t.

Miao Ting Feng thought back to last night, and blamed himself for missing the chance of his life. “Why? Why did I waste time talking to the dog? If I had acted faster, my sword would now be gleaming victoriously with my enemy’s blood, and I could spend a night not haunted by my sister crying hunger, his mother lying lifelessly in the pools of red, and his father yelling for him and his Ping Er to be taken away! Why did I act so slow, and let Brother Chen stop me?” Suddenly, he paused in his own thoughts.

“Chen Gu Xing! Why did Brother Chen stop me? He said he had a reason, but why?” Miao Ting Feng tried to make excuses for his friend’s strange request last night, but he couldn’t submerge the suspicions he now has for his best friend. His clutched his head in confusion as he thought more about it.

Soft footsteps approached the frustrated man, and a female voice exclaimed, “I told you not to drink so much wine! Now your head hurts!” Lin Hong Ye shook her head at him as she carried his breakfast to him. Apart from a simple bowl of chicken congee and some steamed buns, there was also a worn brown ceramic bowl, with its top covered by a plate to keep it contents warm. “Good thing the old man who rented these rooms at his house to us had some ginger tea leftover last night after his son came home dead-drunk! Now quickly drink it!”

Miao Ting Feng tasted the refreshing ginger tea. Its sharp, spicy ginger taste remained on his tongue even after he swallowed the mouthful, and the hot, strong clouds of aroma that filled his nostrils, told him that this tea was not leftover and reheated, but freshly boiled and chopped. He knew that she lied.

Lin Hong Ye smiled as he finished the cup, and handed his breakfast of hot buns to him. Miao Ting Feng almost choked to death when he bit into the soft bun, to find his mouth full of red chilli sauce which woke him up immediately, if the ginger tea had not fully done its job. As he spat out the remaining chilli sauce and washed it down with repeated cups of hot ginger tea, Lin Xiu Lan who had been hiding under some mulberry bushes all this time, laughed out loud and chanted, “It’s no use even if you suspect me! Because you will never suspect Sister Lin bringing you that!”

The six quickly headed off after breakfast, in three different directions at first to distract off any followers, and then Chen Gu Xing and Miao Ting Feng who were together, managed to steal the local rich man’s speedy thousand-mile mares, and rode off in a cloud of dust to where the other four were waiting for them at a designated tea stall in a small village.

Each pair managed to find at least two or three people who were tailing them, and Lin Xiu Lan taught them an unforgettable lesson, before releasing them.

As the six sat down for a sip of tea, they all thought they could have some peace for a while before Chen’s men caught up, but it turned out that it was impossible, because of one person - Zhao Ning. Everything that they had ordered, Zhao Ning seemed to detest it, putting forwards comments like, “This tea is too bland.” And “Mr. Lin, don’t eat that! It can’t even be classified good enough for dogs to eat!” or “I don’t know why customers even come to this place!”.

The comments continued even later on when they were traveling, when she requested to try everyone’s horse because her own delivered a bumpy ride. Not sure whether it was a pur accident or intentional. The moment she got onto the saddle of Chen Gu Xing’s thousand-mile horse, the horse took off like the wind, and carried her screaming into the horizon. Miao Ting Feng smiled; he just saw Chen Gu Xing wave his hand near the horse’s thigh before it took off.

It was a good thing Kao Xiao Feng never found out because his own poor horse collapsed in exhausation after being forced by its rider to chase after its more superior traveler. But it was alright when it drank a bit of water and had lots to eat. It was also a good thing because the other four had a much quicker journey without distractions and comments about how riding too fast will dishevel her hair.

Zhao Ning cried herself to sleep after the ordeal, unfortunately in the arms of a reluctant Lin Xiu Lan, who was still in male clothing. She wanted Lin Hong Ye to help her get out of the room, but her friends teased, “You got into this mess by yourself, you get out of it by yourself!”

The very next morning, just as the cocks had begun to stir and get ready to crow at the emerging burst of light just over the shady mountains; Miao Ting Feng was awoken by a faint tickling sensation on his face. Lin Xiu Lan was sitting on his bed. It had to be no good.

“Ow! Let go! I was just bored!” cried Lin Xiu Lan as Miao Ting Feng grabbed her hand by instinct, and found a moist black writing brush in her hand. He touched his left cheek’ there was black wet dot of ink there, which would have expanded to many lines and shapes if he had not awoken in time.

“You’re practicing calligraphy at this time in the day?” He said sleepily as he closed his eyes and rubbed the ink off his face with his sleeve, “It’s not going to help much! People still can’t read what you write – I mean - scribble!”

“I wasn’t practicing calligraphy, I was just drawing turtles!” she retorted indignantly as he released her hand. “Get up! I need to talk!” she said.

Reluctantly opening his eyes, Miao Ting Feng whispered with a dose of sleepiness, “Can’t this wait until breakfast?”

“No!” she replied indignantly, “This is an urgent matter! A matter of life and death!” Hearing the word “urgent” and “a matter of life and death”, he immediately lost all desire to rest and grabbed for his sword, and looking around suspiciously, he asked in a low voice, “Has Chen Zheng Ren’s men caught up with us so quickly? Where are they?”

“Somewhere but not here!’ she replied annoyed, “Is that all you are ever concerned about? If you don’t get rid of Zhao Ning, I will die!”

“This is the urgent business you were talking about? Go to the Scholar, maybe he will help you out!”

“What? As if he will be of any use, can’t fight, can’t think!” she pouted, “I can’t stand her anymore! It has been days since I last wore female clothing and this oversized scholar robe! Worse of all, she won’t stop looking at me, smiling at me, and following me around! I am so bored!”

Miao Ting Feng sat up and rested his back on the wall of the bed, “Well, why don’t you marry her then? She will make a good wife! Remember to send me an invitation when the kids are born!”

Lin Xiu Lan punched him hard in the arm, “I’ll make sure you will be the god-mother!” she joked. But then turning to her serious tone again, she continued, “I am serious, we need to get rid of her. She complains about everything so much that people we come across cannot fail to not notice us. Chen’s men can find us so much easier with her around!”

“So do you suggest? Just leave her by the road and run away? We can’t do that!” he said, “You have to remember, Chen’s men are also after her!”

“Well, she has that Kao Xiao Feng with her! She will be safe with him!”

“You have to remember, Kao Xiao Feng is an honest and simple man, unknown to the dangers of this world. No doubt, he has very good martial arts, but he lacks the suspicion to prevent any dangers he might come across!

“Well, I’m not going to babysit her for the rest of my life!” she cried indignantly, in a much louder voice..

“Babysit who?” said a sleepy voice from just outside the door. Lin Hong Ye, who was just staying the adjacent room, had been awoken by the conversation.

“Who else needs to be babysat except for Zhao Ning?” Lin Xiu Lan replied with annoyance, and Lin Hong Ye entered the room.

“Maybe you!” said another familiar, but deeper voice and a hand caught the door just as Lin Hong Ye was closing it, and pushing it open, the three saw a stranger’s face emerge from behind the door.

“Sworn Sister, next time you want to talk about secrets, whisper instead of shouting it so everyone can hear. Lucky Zhao Ning was very tired from her ordeal yesterday and is still asleep, and Kao Xiao Feng has gone to the stables to feed the horses.” said the stranger. It was Chen Gu Xing with his new face.

“Where is the Scholar?” asked Lin Xiu Lan, a bit surprised that she noticed his absence so quickly.

“He is still sleeping somehow. Don’t know how he does it! I wish I had his ability!” he joked, but his eyes were not joking at all. He gave a suspicious look to Miao Ting Feng, who understood him immediately. The scholar was faking his sleep.

“Who cares about him anyway? The important thing is what should be do with Zhao Ning!” Lin Xiu Lan hurriedly said to divert the direction of the conversation away from the Scholar.

“Well, why don’t we take her home?” suggested Lin Hong Ye, pouring out some tea for everyone to help them wake up. “At least we know she will be protected and safe there! And it is not like we are in a hurry to go there anyway!”

“All the way back to the Capital?” cried Lin Xiu Lan, thinking of how long she will have to spend with Zhao Ning’s unwanted affection.

“Or it could be all your life!” answered Lin Hong Ye, “Or you could take some responsibility for your actions and tell her what you really are and hope her affections for you dies out!”

“You sound like a mother, Sister Lin!” pouted Lin Xiu Lan. The thought of taking responsibility scared her. All her life, she has never need to think about consequences for each action she does, she just runs away and the problem will go away. Or if more serious, her teachers will be there to solve it for her. She never had to solve it herself.

Lin Hong Ye, added, “You must be careful if you do decide to tell her, for she must be fragile in mind and very dependent due to her upbringing. If you hurt her too much, who knows what would happen? The best way is to deliver her to safe hands of her family first, then tell her so she will be well looked after!”

“All right, all right!” said Lin Xiu Lan finally, “We’ll take her home, and then I will tell her. That’s all I’m going to do! But I am warning you, if you won’t believe when I tell her, I don’t care! This better work, Brother Miao, or prepare to find turtles, snakes, and lizards all drawn all over your face every morning!”

Outside the room, a pair of feet ran lightly upon the ground. The owner of the feet ran past a room with drawn curtains. He retraced his steps and opened the door by a crack and looked inside. Zhao Ning was still sleeping inside, still as elegant, still as peaceful. He closed the door again and started running again, but stopped. The owner heard a rustle of leaves just above him. The large tree that stood sturdily beside him wavered its branches gently in the morning air. But there had been no wind. Someone or something had moved the branch. And it had heard just what he had.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Anyone still (reading) with us? I'll try to whip up chapter 29 for you all. Just let us know how we're doing and what your thoughts are....like do you have any questions or ponderings?

Your comments matter to us and give us encouragement to write faster....
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-08-05 at 11:33 PM.

Great writing to the three terrific writer.

Haven't got any question because i forgot half of the storyline due to the last update being a year ago, but will start it over again. So update as soon as you can

Smile

I must confess that I also have forgotten the whole storyline. I only vaguely remember the characters' names. Will have to re-read the whole thing from beginning to most current chapter. But I'm glad that the story has been revived!

Talking Chapter 29: The Archer and the Scholar

I finally finished writing this chapter! It would've been done two weeks ago but I got lazy Well...there you go, a new chapter...six pages worth. Enjoy! Melanie, I hope you like this one.

Chapter 29: The Archer and the Scholar

Hearing the noise outside, Chen Gu Xing soundlessly opened the bedroom doors and looked outside only to find Kao Xiao Feng standing there. Kao Xiao Feng’s puzzled facial expressions turned to meet Chen Gu Xing’s gaze. For a long time neither of them spoke until Lin Xiu Lan made her way to the threshold to see what was going on.

“Brother Chen, why are you standing there like a piece of wood? And you Horse boy, aren’t you suppose to be down at the stables? As if I haven’t enough problems already, you men decided to block my path by standing there like pieces of dead wood!” Lin Xiu Lan said restlessly as she pushes them aside.

“Xiu Lan where are you going?!” exclaimed Lin Hong Ye.

“Aiyah! Sleeping too much will make people stupid. I see two people who are still sleeping while the sun is beginning to rise high above their heads! It’s time to teach them to wake up when the sun rises!” Lin Xiu Lan announced as she marched down the hall.

Chen Gu Xing and Kao Xiao Feng’s gaze followed her. Lin Hong Ye turned to look at the two men and shook her head. Whenever Miss Xiu Lan does not get her way, she always has a way to relieve her anger. “Xiu Lan!” Lin Hong Ye called after her but Lin Xiu Lan had already reached the corner and disappeared.

“I had better go see what Xiu Lan is up to,” said Lin Hong Ye as she turned and left quickly to find Lin Xiu Lan.

While Kao Xiao Feng began to show his nervousness as Chen Gu Xing’s gaze was upon him. What Chen Gu Xing was really doing was trying to hear the sounds around them.

“Mister Chen! I swear I did not hear anything! I was just coming in from feeding the horses,” said Kao Xiao Feng, quick to explain himself.

Chen Gu Xing let out a sigh and said, “Ah Feng, there is no need to be alarmed. You did not hear anything crucial, even if you did, there is no harm. Did you see anything unusual before?”

Kao Xiao Feng considered the question for a moment then answered, “There was an unusual wind swaying that tree over there. But as you can see the weather is sunny with no wind at all.”

“Good. Well, I hope Miss Lin can stop my sworn brother from doing anything rude to Miss Zhao. You can never tell what he might do when he is angry,” Chen Gu Xing cleverly changed topics.

Without a word, Kao Xiao Feng ran off in the same direction that Lin Xiu Lan went. While Chen Gu Xing waited outside Miao Ting Feng's room and did some thinking.

Earlier when the four were discussing Lin Xiu Lan’s problem, Chen Gu Xing had sense that they were not alone. Kao Xiao Feng’s footsteps were light as that of a cat, however, not too light for the two brothers to hear and sense Kao Xiao Feng’s presence. But what raised concern for Chen Gu Xing was the other person who had been eavesdropping upon their conversation. His instincts told him that, that mysterious person was a good martial-artist not below his or Miao Ting Feng’s level. His suspicions told him that it could be the Scholar, whose identity is not fully known yet.

After he finished dressing, Miao Ting Feng came out of his room and stretched.

“You heard Ah Feng?” Chen Gu Xing asked.

“I heard. It’s time that we put our plans to action.” Miao Ting Feng was alert as ever where serious matters were concerned.

“Yes. We’d better test the Scholar soon or else I fear prolonged suspicions will cause unnecessary bickering among friends.” Chen Gu Xing suggested.

“What friends are you talking about? Brother Chen how can we trust someone who is so mysterious?” Miao Ting Feng said in disbelief as he leaned against a wooden pillar.

“That maybe so but before we jump to conclusions, we must not think badly of him before we find out the truth,” Chen Gu Xing reasoned.

Miao Ting Feng thought about what Chen Gu Xing had just said and wondered if the same could be applied to sworn brothers too. ‘Could prolonged suspicions and mistrust cause trouble between them?’ But before Miao Ting Feng could answer his own question, Chen Gu Xing laid a hand on his shoulder and broke his train of thought.

“Do not worry, Brother Miao. True gold is dauntless under a refiner’s fire. If it turns out that he is a sly fox trying to trick us, I’ll be the first person to go after him. ” Chen Gu Xing reassured him.

Miao Ting Feng was still skeptical and wondered out loud. “Can trust be given freely to strangers?”

Just then Lin Hong Ye had returned with a basin of hot water.

“Ah Miss Lin, you have returned, how is the Scholar? I hope my sister has not given him a painful punishment,” Chen Gu Xing laughed half-heartedly.

“No. I think the Scholar’s face has become the second victim of Xiu Lan’s artistry,” Lin Hong Ye said while hardly concealing her amusement in the Scholar’s predicament. “So who were you two calling a stranger?”

“Oh we were referring to Kao Xiao Feng. We’re worried because we think he might have heard what we were talking about earlier. He might tell Miss Zhao the truth about our sworn sister and break her heart,” said Chen Gu Xing half seriously and half jokingly.

“I may not know him well but I believe he is not a bad person. He seems very respectful to everyone,” Lin Hong Ye replied as she laid the water filled basin onto a table nearby.

“You should not trust people too much. You are a young lady and who knows what dangers you might encounter if you believe whatever a stranger says to you,” Miao Ting Feng warned her.

“It is better to believe in the good of people than to live in doubt. If you treat them nicely, even a cold-hearted person will be touched by your kindness,” Lin Hong Ye replied while pouring the water out of the basin while holding the washcloth in one hand.

Chen Gu Xing amused by Lin Hong Ye’s words, he laughed softly and said, “Brother Miao, you can not argue against such great wisdom. I think you’ve better wait and see.”

Miao Ting Feng was still a bit skeptical yet his heart felt strangely at ease by Lin Hong Ye’s faith.

“Brother Chen, I think after breakfast we all must discuss our new traveling route now that we have to escort Miss Zhao home.”

“Right, first we must take care of our stomachs,” Chen Gu Xing laughed and left.

Lin Hong Ye smiled and handed Miao Ting Feng the wet washcloth. Miao Ting Feng was a bit surprised when she suddenly did that. His wounds have completely healed now. Miao Ting Feng wondered when the both of them had become so close that she would take such good care of him. He quickly accepted the warm washcloth and washed his face. Immediately his face felt refreshed and he said, “Thank you”

There were no longer any smudges or traces of black ink on his face, thanks to her. Lin Hong Ye took back the washcloth and started to leave with the basin in her hands. And when Miao Ting Feng just stood there, not moving, she turned around and looked puzzling at him. It was then that their eyes met and the silence seems to have crept up at them.

“Hong Ye, do you really believe in what you said about the ‘good in people’?” Miao Ting Feng asked in a gentler tone than before.

“Yes. It’s because I believe there is good in you, that I allow you to go without paying the debt you still owe me,” She replied and quickly turned to leave Miao Ting Feng standing there. Her heartbeat started to beat louder and her cheeks blushed with a tint of pink. She noticed. It was the first time he had used her given name.

As Miao Ting Feng watched Lin Hong Ye walk away, he reached into his inner shirt and pulled out the brown pouch made of animal skin. It contained the jade bangle he had bought a few months ago. He was still hesitating whether or not he should give Lin Hong Ye the bangle. He laughed at himself thinking what harm would there be if he did? Would she leave immediately after collecting her debt? He had to admit that having her in his life, has made him feel less alone and restless from the pains of the past (that still haunted his dreams).

Meanwhile, Lin Hong Ye rushed to the stone well by the house and carelessly dropped the bronze basin. She leaned on the mouth of the stone well and saw her reflection in the water. In the midst of her loud heart beating, a thought came to her, ‘When did my heart begin to yearn for a place in his?’ She then began to wonder about how her journey to search for her mother and father has gotten terribly sidetracked. ‘Have I been journeying with Miao Ting Feng all this time only because of the debt he owes me?’ She asked herself.

When she walked in to join the others for breakfast, she saw that all were too busy to notice her discomfort. Chen Gu Xing and Miao Ting Feng were already eating steamed buns in one hand while examining the map to plan a good traveling route. Lin Xiu Lan greedily grabbed more portions for herself while Kao Xiao Feng looked on angrily. He then turned to look at Zhao Ning who was sitting across from Lin Xiu Lan, gracefully eating noodles while admiring her Mister Lin at the same time.

Beside Lin Xiu Lan sat the Scholar who was eating his bowl of noodles like a rare and exotic dish. He finished it and was about to grab a steam bun. Instead he received a slap on his hand by Lin Xiu Lan. She took the steam bun before he could lay his hands on it. A frown appeared on Scholar’s face and then a strange thing happened.

“Don’t start crying now, granny bookworm. Here’s your steam bun! Don’t eat anymore after this, you have to save some breakfast for sister Hong Ye,” Lin Xiu Lan warned him.

Lin Xiu Lan was actually being nice to the Scholar. He smiled and ate the steam bun happily.

“Spare some for me? I think you’ve eaten all the steam buns that I have just bought this morning,” Lin Hong Ye said as she sat down beside Zhao Ning.

“It’s your fault for not buying enough. If we’re going to travel all the way to the Capital, we’re going to need buy more food for the road,” said Lin Xiu Lan, matter-of-factly.

Miao Ting Feng reached over and tapped on Lin Xiu Lan’s head a couple of times. “Ouch!”

“Don’t listen to our spoiled brat, here you can have mine. I’ve had too much already,” Miao Ting Feng handed her his extra one.

“Thank you. Xiu Lan, earlier I forgot to ask you question, how did you know Miss Zhao lives at the capital? Did she tell you?” Lin Hong Ye turned to Lin Xiu Lan and Zhao Ning, so that Miao Ting Feng would not see her blush. ‘Xiao Hong, stop being so easily pleased,’ She silently scold herself.

“Yes. I did not want to go home yet but since Mister Lin said he wanted to asked my father for my---“ Zhao Ning said until Lin Xiu Lan interrupted her by stuffing a steam bun in her mouth.

“She is a princess! We’re taking her home to the Capital because she is a princess! A princess should be in the Royal Palace, where she belongs!” Lin Xiu Lan blurted out.

“She’s a princess?” Lin Hong Ye asked and acted very surprised. ‘It made sense. The way she complained about almost everything, it was because of her royal upbringing,’ Lin Hong Ye thought. She looked around and saw that she was the only one that was shocked by the news. “And you all knew about this?”

“Don’t feel too bad, Miss Lin. Everyone else found out just a couple minutes before you came in,” Chen Gu Xing said to make her feel better.

“Well. If we followed the route just as planned for a few days until we reach the next province which is near the sea, we can rent a large boat. Taking the water route will get us to the capital faster than going by land. And as Brother Chen predicts, we should be there in a couple of weeks. For now we must go out to buy some food. Brother Chen did you pay the old couple for allowing us to live and eat at their house?” Miao Ting Feng interjected.

Chen Gu Xing nodded and then he called Kao Xiao Feng over to ask him for a favor.

After they all had their fill of breakfast, the group split up to buy food and take care of transportation. Kao Xiao Feng, who was familiar with horses, went to sell all but two horses and bought a horse carriage for Zhao Ning and the girls. The plan was Chen Gu Xing and Kao Xiao Feng would take turns with the reins of the carriage while Miao Ting Feng and the Scholar would ride on individual horses along the side the carriage. Lin Hong Ye and Zhao Ning were busy buying all sorts of food. While the unhappiest person amongst them was Lin Xiu Lan because Zhao Ning would continue to look at her adoringly while holding dangling on her arm. The Scholar would try very hard to hold back his laugh only to no avail.

While Miao Ting Feng and Chen Gu Xing walked behind the four of them, waiting for a perfect time and chance to test the Scholar. Miao Ting Feng stopped in his track when an idea came to him. He crouched down to pick up some small pebbles off the ground. He showed Chen Gu Xing the small pebbles and pointed at the Scholar’s back. Chen Gu Xing immediately caught onto his idea and smiled. He then gave Miao Ting Feng a sharp look as if to say, “Be careful.”

This should test whether or not the Scholar is skilled in martial arts. The idea is that if the Scholar is skilled at martial arts, the rock will be repelled and bounce off in a straight angle because of the protective force created by his qi (internal energy). However, if he does not know any martial arts, the stone will hit him and fall straight down to the ground.

Like an archer, Miao Ting Feng aimed at the Scholar’s back and counted down to the precise pressure points that would normally immobilize a person. With a swift flick of his wrist, the rock flew out from between his fingers like a flying arrow shot from the archer’s bow.
    ------------------------------
    Note: Lin Xiu Lan knew Zhao Ning is a princess because of the incident at Kao Xiao Feng's house, a couple chapters ago. Lin Xiu Lan is not big on explainations.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 10-11-05 at 01:15 AM.

Hi SS! Naughty naughty! I have to rush off and write now since you have updated already!
    Cyril Connolly

Hi, sorry for the gigantic delay. Had to do assignments for uni in my holidays!

This chappie is dedicated to Sow Foong for her patience and congrats to her job!

Chapter 30: Stones and Snakes

The pebble shot through the air like a fresh arrow, cutting through a straight path towards the Scholar’s main pressure point for qi circulation. Miao Ting Feng and Chen Gu Xing pretended to examine one vendor’s jewelry collection, as out of the side of their eyes, they watched anxiously for the result of their test,

“Ouch!” yelled someone, and the stone fell to the ground. “Are you all right?” asked the Scholar. Miao Ting Feng and Chen Gu Xing turned around in awe. The stone had never found a target, as the target had bent down to help up his friend.

“Yeah, I am fine!’ said Lin Xiu Lan crossly, getting up from the ground, “But he’s not going to be!” She picked up the pebble from the ground and flicked it towards the rude man who had just knocked her over. It hit the man right in the back of the knee on a pressure point, and as a result, the leg went numb, and he keeled over – right onto a lady. The burly man beside her, who seemed to be her husband, grabbed him and threw him into the wall.

As a fight rose, people started to panic and flee the place lest the guards come and arrest them by mistake. Miao Ting Feng turned to talk to his friend, but found no one there. He then spotted him on the other side of the street, helping a young girl to safety into an alley from the stampede. The girl swept her hand over the wall to find something to hold onto. He took a look at her eyes and saw a blank look, as if they were not focused. He realized that she was blind.

Chen Gu Xing took a bamboo pole and broke it in half with one bend. “Here Miss, here is a staff that you can use to guide you home. Do you know your way home?” He said softly, pushing the end of the pole into her hand.

She grabbed the pole and with her soft soothing voice, “Thank you sir! I normally can walk around this city without any help - I’ve memorised exactly how many steps it takes to cross each road and reach each shop. But I don’t know what happened today – the people here are quite friendly and don’t usually fight. Thank you very much for your help sir, if not for you, Qing Quan maybe have already been trodden to death.”

Chen Gu Xing replied, “It doesn’t matter. Anyone else who saw you in such a situation would have pulled you to safety as well!”

Qing Quan turned her head to face him by localizing his voice. “Still Sir, I owe you my life. How can I ever repay you? Maybe I can cook you a meal tonight at my house if you please.” She offered sincerely and smiled.

Chen Gu Xing felt someone starting at him and by instinct, he turned and found Miao Ting Feng smiling encouragingly on the other side of the street. However, seeing him reminded him that there were more important things to do.

“Sorry Miss, I am in a hurry to travel. But there is no need to repay anything. Your kind offer is already been enough! Are you are you are alright going home by yourself?”

Though disappointed, Qing Quan maintained her smiled and replied, “I’ll be fine by myself. I have this pole you gave me, remember?” Chen Gu Xing returned the smile, though she couldn’t see. But she felt its warmth.

“I have to go now, Miss!” he said, “Take care!”

“Wait!” she cried, and reached out her hand to grab him. She grabbed onto his hand, but quickly let go as she blushed. “May I know your name? At least if we meet again, I will know who you are!”

Chen Gu Xing replied quietly, “My surname is Chen. But I don’t think you would remember me if we ever meet again.”

She said, “I think I would, Mister Chen. Would I find you where I can buy bread?” She laughed gently and continued, “My eyes are useless, but my nose still works! There is a smell of flour on you. Do you make bread for a living?” she asked innocently.

Chen Gu Xing touched his face. She had just smelt the flour of his artificial face. A certain bitterness arose within the depths of his heart as he thought of how he came to be this way.

“No, I don’t!” he said coldly, “I think I may have bumped into a bag of flour as the people pushed by.”

“Oh!” she replied, and as if she sensed the sudden change of emotion within him, “Then I must not bother you anymore. You must be in a hurry! Well, thank you very much again, Mister Chen. I’ll be on my way now!” And bowing her head slightly in grace, she said farewell, and with her bamboo pole, she swept the ground before her for any obstacles.

“Wait!” he suddenly called out. “You know where you are going? There are still a lot of people out there!”

“Yes, this is the alley where there are three holes in the fifth brick from the bottom, on the left side of the wall, right?” she said confidently. He checked and was surprised that the brick did indeed have three holes.

“I made those markings myself. If I continue walking down this alley, I would come out on a different street, and if I take fifty steps to the left and then forty steps to the right, and continue walking down a dirt path till I reach a large round rock, my house is two hundred steps to left, and pass the quiet little stream.”

Chen Gu Xing was amazed by her ability. “Okay! Goodbye Miss!”

“Take care, Mister Chen!” she said gently as she started walking. And soon, her petite frame disappeared as she turned at the end of the alley.

“Hey!” Miao Ting Feng yelled at him. Chen Gu Xing jumped as his friend appeared beside him. “She’s gone!”

“I know!” said Chen Gu Xing.

“And here I was, thinking that out dear old brother Chen only focused on promoting justice and helping the helpless. Now we know he also helps young pretty girls!” Miao Ting Feng teased. He had had enough of Lin Xiu Lan teasing him about Lin Hong Ye. His heart skipped a beat when he came to that name.

“I don’t know what you what you are talking about!” Chen Gu Xing denied with a smile, and walked off to find the others as the guards closed in on the fighting duo and tore them apart.

They found Kao Xiao Feng and Zhao Ning who were waiting by the stables which they were originally heading for, and Xiu Lan and the Scholar were later found out of sight on the roof of the stable, flicking fleas at the unaware Zhao Ning, who was torn between whether scratch in public or maintain her ladylike manners.

When the horses and food had been settled, they all settled in at another inn. Miao Ting Feng and Chen Gu Xing conveniently shared a room.

“I can’t believe we failed our attempt earlier today!” cried Miao Ting Feng, frustrated, “It was all so perfect until Sworn Sister messed it all up by causing the fight. Now we don’t, have a chance anymore because we’re setting off early in a few hours time, and there won’t be the rush of people to hide the origin of the pebble if we try again.”

Chen Gu Xing smiled and said, “You know I always have a backup plan up my sleeve, don’t you?” They both smiled.

The two men sneaked out of their rooms, and climbing along the rafters, they sneaked into the room which the Scholar was sharing with Kao Xiao Feng. There was only one person in the room.

“Where is he?” whispered Miao Ting Feng, “Did you have something to do with this?”

“As expected,” Chen Gu Xing replied quietly, “Kao Xiao Feng may not be bright but he would still be an obstacle if he were to discover us. I slipped some of Sworn Sister’s “secret ingredients” into his dinner just then. I guess the latrine is occupied at this moment.

The Scholar was sleeping soundly on the bed. “Are you ready?” Miao Ting Feng asked.

“I’m always ready! It now depends on him!” whispered Chen Gu Xing as he took out a wriggling black pouch. He loosened the top of the pouch, and a furry head emerged. The marten blinked his eyes as if he had just awoken and was ready to eat.

“Now, Ru Dian be good and don't let anyone see you. If someone sees you, you'll have to forfeit the big black snake to Ru Lei and eat the skinny green one instead. Understood?", whispered Chen Gu Xing with care for his pet. The marten shriveled up his nose as if protesting, then nodded as if he understood, and ran down the wall with ease, and dropped next to the sleeping victim.

“Brother Chen, are you sure that this will not be fatal?” whispered Miao Ting Feng with concern. He was a bit taken back when Chen Gu Xing confessed his plan to him in their room. He didn’t say a word to hint what was going on in his head, but Miao Ting Feng could not help but feel shocked when Chen Gu Xing showed no hesitation in severely poisoning one of their companions. Did this hint a side of Chen Gu Xing that no one else knew? Would he also show no hesitance if it was he that was being poisoned?

“Don’t worry!” replied Chen Gu Xing with a sly smile, “Ru Dian’s poison may be fast and fatal, but if it is repulsed by a very strong inner qi before one counts to a hundred, it would not do the body any harm. Trust me!” Miao Ting Feng felt troubled by that last phrase.

“But what if our suspicions are wrong? What if he does not possess any internal energy or not enough? I am having second thoughts about using such a powerful poison!” Miao Ting Feng unwarily showed a part of himself that he had been hiding after many years of revenge, but since the last few months, has rapidly re-emerged since his new found companionship. He could kill his enemies without a blink of an eye, but yet, as suspicious as he was about this mysterious Scholar, he could not let him risk his life just in case.

“But what if he does?” retorted his friend, “Do you not see the danger we are in if we are right? For months, we have been with this man, but yet have detected no signs of him having martial arts whether by his breathing or walking. Either he is truly an ignorant Scholar, or he is a calculating and powerful martial artist who can hide all his tracks and be capable of striking us down when we are most vulnerable! If we use a weaker poison, then we would give him time to think whether to reveal his martial arts or not, and our plan would just fail! There is no use having doubts. Ru Dian has already set out! No one can stop him now. He is a determined little fellow!”

Miao Ting Feng watched as the little marten glared at his sleeping victim with his red sparkly eyes, and sniffed him to sense any danger. He was ready to strike. Coldly, Miao Ting Feng said, “Very well, if he still shows no sign of defense after counting to eighty, I’m going down to help!”

Chen Gu Xing nodded at his friend’s comment, ignorant of the change in tone as he watched intently for the marten to strike. The little fangs dug into the motionless hand and a groan emitted from the waking victim. Ru Dian sped back up the wall by climbing the curtains of the bed, and disappeared off a crack in the wall, probably back to the room to claim his prize. The hidden men on the rafters began to count.

One. Two. Three. ….. The Scholar eyes opened with fright and shock. He tried to lift up his hot and numb left hand, but the whole arm seemed to be detached from his body as it remained motionless no matter how hard he tried to raise it.

Eleven. Twelve, Thirteen. ….. Large beads of sweat started to gather upon his forehead and slid smoothing down his perspiring face. They glittered in the soft moonlight like a transparent veil embroidered by a web of small beautiful silver beads. The spider in the corner of the windowsill glared at him with envy as he compared him to his own creation. Biting of the length of silk, he ripped his nearly-completed web in frustration and started all over again.

Twenty-one. Twenty-two, Twenty-three…….He tried to open his mouth to scream for help, but nothing but a gagging noise emitted from his throat, which was slowly contracting, muscle by muscle, closing off his airways. With desperation, he squeezed his throat with his free hand, as if hoping squeezing it would force it to open up more.

Thirty-one. Thirty-two. Thirty-three…. His vision had begun to blur. Small flashes of colourful light appeared before his eyes, but he could not see where he was.

Forty-one. Forty-two. Forty-three….With his struggling feet, he pushed himself off the bed. With a painful thud, he hit the hard floor. But he didn’t care. He had to go for help. He couldn’t see, but he remembered. The door was just straight ahead.

Fifty-one. Fifty-two. Fifty-three…. The helpless man began to crawl with difficulty to the door. It didn’t matter if he lived or died; or if his goal had been achieved or not. He just hoped to hear her voice for one last time – even if she scolded him. He had to crawl out the door.

Sixty-one. Sixty-two. Sixty-three….. Halfway to the door, his body began to twitch uncontrollably as he choked for air. His limbs jerked around and he could no longer use them to steer him to the door. But he still didn’t give up.

Miao Ting Feng could no longer bear it. His brow was with as much sweat as the Scholar down below. His muscles tensed as he prepared to jump down and save the poor being. But a strong hand on his shoulder held him down. “It’s not eighty yet.”

Miao Ting Feng flung his hand away and retorted, still whispering, “Can’t you see that this man is near death! If he had the internal energy, he would have used it to save his life by now!” However, Chen Gu Xing was strangely calm.

Sixty-four. Sixty-five. Sixty-six…There was a loud throbbing in his ear as blood gushed through his dilated arteries. Thud. Thud Thud. Or was it footsteps he heard?

Chen Gu Xing whipped his other hand before Miao Ting Feng’s chest to hold him there. “Now is the crucial moment. It is about time he realizes he has been poisoned. It is the critical moment we have been waiting for. If you go down know, we will never know!”

END of chap 30

(No humans, animals or reptiles were harmed in the brainstorming of this chapter. And no, I did not poison myself either to help me write this chapter! )
    Cyril Connolly

wow!!! Interesting...that scholar guy better be smart enough to realise this is a trick else i'm going to be very angry with him....lol...one of my fav characters!!

Hello. I've just read chapters 27-28. I've forgotten most of the storyline, so I'll have to go back and skim over some of the old chapters. But I do remember my favorite couples...Miao Ting Feng-Lin Hong Ye and Lin Xiu Lan-Scholar. Know what? I think Ting Feng and Hong Ye are too serious. I'm afraid they will become a boring couple... Please don't let them become boring because I like them very much. Xiu Lan is cute and a bit too full of herself. But I see her getting away with fire because she has the ever faithful scholar by her side. And something tells me that he has some pretty impressive martial arts up his sleeve. I still don't know the scholar's identity, but I can tell it's going to surprise when it is revealed. One question... I forgot why Chen Gu Xing wears a mask?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    One question... I forgot why Chen Gu Xing wears a mask?
    Hi Mel, go and read Chap 6. Very obvious reason. Ting Feng and Hong Ye just haven't spent much time alone together.

Quote Originally Posted by yinyee168
    wow!!! Interesting...that scholar guy better be smart enough to realise this is a trick else i'm going to be very angry with him....lol...one of my fav characters!!
    Hi! Thanks for reading. So you only like smart guys? LOL.
    Cyril Connolly

Hello, again. I've just finished off chapter 29. Very pleasantly surprised to find that SS had sort of dedicated it to me. Anyway, I think a lot of interesting stuff went on in that chapter. First, I loved the interaction amongst the group during breakfast. Xiu Lan devoured the food like a child, but interestingly, she showed some kindness to the scholar! Haha! Actually handed him a steamed bun. I thought that was cute, incredibly cute. And Ting Feng offered his bun to Hong Ye. That was sweet. I can't remember anything about the jade bangle plotline, but something tells me it will play an important part in the romance between Ting Feng and Hong Ye. Again, I'll have to go back and read about that. Which chapter was the jade bangle plotline introduced? But the most exciting part of the chapter is the last part, when Ting Feng and Gu Qing are about to test the scholar's martial arts! Can't wait to read on! But I'm almost afraid to finish up chapter 30. All this excitement, only to find myself waiting and waiting for the next update. Hurry up and post more chapters!

Ugh! Chapter 30 ended just when everything was about to get interesting! I think the scholar has powerful martial arts and will get himself out of this mess. But I guess I'll have to wait and wait until the next chapter comes out.

Cool

Hi dudes and gals! I'm a bit disappointed by those who read but don't comment, but anyhow, Mel, Yinyee168, thanks for your replies and your attention.

Hope you two like this new chapter.

Chapter 31: The Mysterious Scholar

Seventy-one. Seventy-two. Seventy-three… The door creaked open. Kao Xiao Feng walked lazily into the room. He was tired, sleepy and very exhausted. What had he eaten that night? To his surprise, he could his roommate twitching dangerously on the floor, covered with heavy sweat that now connected to a shiny wet path from the foot of the bed.

“Help!” he cried loudly, hurrying to his aid. Kao Xiao Feng noticed two small red the marks on the swollen hand. Growing up in the forest, he knew exactly what to do when he saw those marks. It was one of the first things he remembered his mother teaching him.

Pulling the Scholar to a sitting position, he too, sat up behind him with crossed legs, and manoveured his palms to the tip of the pointy bones on his back. His mother had told him that these two bones were the only points of entry, other than the meridian, which could be used to save someone else’s life when in danger. He forgot their names already, but he still remembered the instructions. Warmth began to spread through the body of the Scholar.

Miao Ting Feng and Chen Gu Xing froze as they watched the proceedings. Miao Ting Feng felt extremely relieved, but Chen Gu Xing still remained expressionless Was it anger or fury that his plan was foiled, or was it indifference because he had another plan up his sleeve? No one could tell. Maybe his fake face was being to harden again.

Chen Gu Xing and Miao Ting Feng quickly fled the scene as they heard footsteps coming to answer Kao Xiao Feng’s cry for help. Lin Xiu Lan burst into the room and her large eyes widened in horror, and knelt beside the two in silence. She lifted up his swollen hand and knew what had happened. Lin Hong Ye jumped as the two brothers appeared suddenly behind her. Zhao Ning cowered by the door and watched, but then noticing other residents moving to see what was happening, pushed her friends in and closed the door to give them some privacy.

Suddenly, the Scholar twitched and his body fell forwards, spurting out a mouthful of blood. Kao Xiao Feng then followed by falling unconscious beside him. Lin Xiu Lan quickly lunged forward and held up the Scholar. “Scholar! Scholar!” she cried desperately, trying to revive him by light slaps to his pale face and shaking his unconscious body.

“Ah .. Ah Feng.” Zhao Ning said quietly as she pushed Kao Xiao Feng onto his side. Kao Xiao Feng was covered with sweat, and opened his eyes as if he had just awoken from a normal sleep. “Hello. Miss Zhao!” he said dreamily.

The two guilty men moved forward and each took the pulse of one of the two tired men. Chen Gu Xing calmly took Kao Xiao Feng’s pulse and announced that he was just exhausted after using up so much internal energy. Meanwhile, Miao Ting Feng slowly took the Scholar’s pulse. His hand had stopped swelling, but it seemed as heavy as if it was made of solid iron to Miao Ting Feng’s guilty heart.

“How is he?” asked Lin Xiu Lan with an unfamiliar show of concern. Even Zhao Ning seemed to notice with a strange expression upon her face.

Miao Ting Feng was astounded by the result of the Scholar’s pulse. Despite his weak and withered appearance, his pulse was strong and steady like the rhythm of a drum, though unusually fast, but it soon slowed down to the normal pace. Chen Gu Xing did truly not lie to him! Even though the Scholar had just vomited blood and fell unconscious after a large amount of twitching, his body was perfectly fine.

‘He is fine. Just needs some rest.” he replied with a flat tone, hiding all the emotions battling inside his mind.

“Are you sure?” asked Lin Xiu Lan quietly, staring down at the unconscious Scholar.

Zhao Ning said “Mister Lin, Mister Miao already said…”

Lin Xiu Lan then suddenly snapped at her, “I know what he said! I just want to make sure!” Zhao Ning seemed shocked at the rebuttal, but said nothing. Surprisingly, she did not sob, cry or complain as expected. She just quietly wiped the sweat off Kao Xiao Feng’s face.

“He’s fine, Brother Lin. I assure you!” said Chen Gu Xing, but he was looking at Miao Ting Feng. There was then an awkward silence as the men were carried to their beds.

Zhao Ning then interrupted with a question the everyone wanted to ask, but didn’t . “What happened to him?” Miao Ting Feng and Chen Gu Xing grew alert at that question.

Surprisingly, Kao Xiao Feng was the one that answered her in a dreamy voice, “I think he was bitten by a poisonous snake. We used to have lots where I used to live. You could die from one small bite. Luckily I came in time. Was I not brave, Miss Zhao?” he said with a silly smile. He apparently did not know what he was saying.

Zhao Ning smiled at him, “Yes, you were very brave Ah Feng. And very clever too. Now get some rest. You must be very tired!” then obediently, Kao Xiao Feng nodded off to sleep like a small child.

Lin Xiu Lan looked around the room, “Where is the snake then?” she ducked down and took a look under near the bed.

“Must have slithered away!” said Chen Gu Xing, “Snakes don’t usually stay around. Anyway, let’s go back to our rooms. We will delay our trip by one day or more depending on how quickly these two recover.”

However, Lin Xiu Lan stayed nailed to her position. “I will stay and look after these two. You guys go to bed.” Lin Hong Ye offered to stay, but she was refused.

Zhao Ning lay on her bed with her eyes one. All of a sudden, neither the rough unperfumed sheets nor the frightful hooting of owls outside didn’t seem to bother her anymore. “Miss Lin?” she exclaimed, hoping her roommate was still awake.

“Yes?” Lin Hong Ye found it hard to sleep as well. Since the first day she had met her, Lin Xiu Lan had never seemed so quiet or worried. Her silence made her seem to age several years. Maybe it would be temporary, or maybe it would be permanent.

Zhao Ning continued, “Are Mister Lin and the Scholar very close friends?”

Lin Hong Ye realized that Zhao Ning too, sensed something was not right. “Of course they are! We all are! After all, we have been seeing each other day and night for so long!”

“I had always thought that Mister Lin didn’t like the Scholar, and yelled at him for being annoying and doing nothing. But yet just then, he showed the utmost concern when he was unconscious.”

“Really? I didn’t notice!” lied Lin Hong Ye. She didn’t know how to tell Zhao Ning that Lin Xiu Lan was in fact a girl.

Zhao Ning sighed. “I was bitten by a snake when I was three. I was sweating furiously in fever for two days and two nights. But not even my late mother sat down to accompany me for a night. She left to try on new clothes just after a glance. She didn’t even stay to hear the imperial doctor’s prognosis, not to mention asking twice to make sure. My father didn’t even realize I was sick. I don’t think he even knows now!” She didn’t say anymore. She had drifted off to sleep.

Lin Hong Ye didn’t know what to think. This was a strange night. First Lin Xiu Lan changing, now Zhao Ning showing another side to her “spoilt” life. Lin Hong Ye closed her eyes, she didn’t know what to say in comfort. Her parents. She remembered they used to always be there for her when she was small. But where are they now?

In adjacent rooms, two men lay on their beds in silence. The only noise was made by the small marten on the table happily chomping up his reward, but burping out small puffs of air as he greedily swallowed. A pair of jealous eyes watched him and what remained of the fat snake. Ru Dian stopped and looked at the taipan. He then stuck out his tongue, and continued eating. Ru Lei closed his eyes in anger, when suddenly, something nudged him. His eyes opened and the black snake was in front of him. Ru Dian yawned and curled up against the cold scaly skin, trying to act innocent of his friendly gesture. Ru Lei quickly accepted the gift of friendship and swallowed the black snake.

“How could you be so sure that the Scholar would be alright?” asked Miao Ting Feng suddenly.

Chen Gu Xing laughed, “Because I counted. When I first met Ru Dian, he was only a baby, but very playful and ignorant of how poisonous he really is. But my mentor saved me in time. I was onto ninety-nine when he came. I met Ru Lei that very same day as well, found him underneath my pillow, newly born. He scared the wits out of Ru Dian who found him!”

Days later, the two men recovered quickly as Chen Gu Xing had said. Lin Xiu Lan had returned to her usual indifference when it came to the Scholar, and the whole group began to be aware since she had regained her tendency to play tricks and strange appetite. Just that day, the Scholar was sent out to buy a whole list of strange food items Lin Xiu Lan had requested. Of course, he was paying.

The Scholar hurried through the streets, with his arms full with trays of newly steamed abalone dumplings, beautifully crafted sesame rolls, aromatic white deer meat balls, shark fin pockets wrapped in thinly sliced crab meat, and many other delicious foods. He was in hurry to give them to her before they grew cold.

Suddenly, a dark shadow loomed over him. By reflex, he stopped and turned around, but no one was there. But when he turned to keep walking, a black clad masked man stood in front of him, blocking his way.

The Scholar sensed danger, but tried to walk past, hoping that he would safely pass. The man in black suddenly laid a hand on his shoulder and pulled him back. He lost his balance and the trays toppled to the floor. Hungry beggars lunged at the fallen booty and stuffed as much of it as they could into their starving mouths.

The Scholar fell down onto the floor. He looked up at the masked man, who pinned him down with his foot upon his abdomen. His whole face was masked, not even a bit of skin could be seen. Only a cold icy stare.

“Who are you? What do you want?” he cried loudly, hoping someone would come to his rescue. But the timid villagers just ran at the sign of trouble, afraid that they would be harmed or thought by the guards to be associated with the crime.

The masked man laughed in an unusually husky voice, and croaked, “I want your life! Serves you right for hanging around with enemies of the Great Khan!”

The Scholar was puzzled by this comment. “I don’t know what you are talking about! Let me go!” and he pushed the man’s foot off him and wanted to get up, but the man kicked him in the chest, making him roll to one side.

“Get up and fight you Song coward!” roared the man, slowly walking towards him, “I hate killing men who don’t put up a good fight, but that just makes me more angry when I crack their necks into little pieces!” And the man cracked his knuckles menacingly. The beggars quickly ran off.

But the Scholar stayed. “Get away from me, you strange man!” he cried. The man advanced. The Scholar flung the overturned tray at the man, and while the man was distracted, he made a run for it. Diving behind stacks of bamboo poles, he cut a path along the wall. If he makes it home, then his friends can deal with this mad man.

But the path was cut short when the masked enemy leapt before him, bounding off the walls by kicking down the stacks of poles. While the Scholar evaded the falling poles and tripping over them, a swift swipe of air brushed against his neck, and he quickly ducked, just in time, before a long but flexible bamboo pole smacked into his face.

But then another pole came at his feet, and he fell over onto a long table of goods. The masked man leapt at him as the slender bamboo weapon cut through the air at him.

Thud! The whole end of the table broken and cracked with impact while its bamboo attacker seemed unchanged. But again, the table was attacked and broke off in bits, as the man evading these vicious attacks rolled as he along its length.

The masked stranger was getting more and more agitated. This man would simply just not fight back and keeps running away! The Scholar was near the end of the tortured table, where was he going to roll next? Then suddenly, the long pole suddenly whipped off the other end of the table, just as he was about to reach it. The crumbling remains of the table gave way, and he toppled onto a pile of brocade.

The masked man again aimed his weapon at the Scholar’s head. But suddenly, a whirl of reds and pinks came at his head and covered it. Then from nowhere, someone punched him squarely in the face, and then in the stomach. The masked man took a few steps back from the impact and shock. The Scholar had fought back!

He flung the tangle of brocade out of his face, and faced the Scholar, but he was already some distance down the street. The masked man quickly flung the bamboo pole at him and it hit him right in the middle of the back. As the scholar fell, the man aimed another pole right at him.

As the Scholar painfully turned around to get up, he found himself face to face with a pole that was getting closer and closer. The masked man watched carefully for his reaction.

Suddenly, a blue clad figure came out and slapped the flying pole into a new direction, missing its target. A grey clad old man suddenly jumped out of nowhere and blocked the masked man from chasing after the Scholar.

“You’ll have to deal with me first!” he said. The old man was off a large build, no doubt a strong man in his youth, but sadly, his whiskers and beard have been dyed grey by time. The old woman dressed in dark blue was helping the Scholar back onto his feet.

“Go away, old man! Unless you want to become an enemy of the Great Khan!” warned the masked man, hiding his surprise at the appearance of this strange couple, “Or else…”

The old man ran at him, grabbing an abandoned cleaver from the nearby butcher stand. With great speed, the masked man kicked up a number of bamboo poles into the air and grabbed a whole bunch with each hand.

As the old man swiped the cleaver at him with lots of ferocity and accuracy, the masked man quickly stepped backwards, and then suddenly brought a bunch of poles down at the man. While the old man swiped upwards to sever the poles, the masked man kicked from underneath and unarmed the cleaver. But the old man quickly blocked the oncoming poles with his arm, while with his free hand and feet, blocked off further attacks.

The masked man gasped as the poles broke cleanly in half as they met the old man’s arm. He whirled around and kicked the old man back as he attacked. The old man staggered back, knowing that his opponent was much younger but much more skilled than him, but he was ready for more attacks!

Suddenly, a clear voice came from the roofs. “Masked man, have a taste of my faithful Heart Sword!” Miao Ting Feng leapt from the roof with his weapon brandished, ready to defend the people underneath.

The masked man leapt up in attack, but with simple strokes, Miao Ting Feng managed to push the attacker backwards. The Scholar watched intently as Miao Ting Feng and the masked stranger cut through the air like a peerless sharp blade. The masked stranger, as if knowing that he would never defeat Miao Ting Feng, quickly let go of the bamboo poles.

Miao Ting Feng suddenly found a screen of bamboo poles hiding his opponent form view, and with one big swipe, the screen broke and fell into pieces. Miao Ting Feng landed on a roof, but his opponent had already gone.

“Brother Miao!” greeted the Scholar as Miao Ting Feng appeared at his side.

“Thank you young hero!” thanked the old man, and greeted him with one palm over one fist, the way people of the Wu Lin World usually greet each other with respect. Miao Ting Feng returned the greeting.

The Scholar suddenly started coughing. The old woman by his side quickly asked with concern, “Are you alright, young Master?” Miao Ting Feng looked at him bewildered.
    Cyril Connolly

Hey charbydis. Great chapter! I like this one especially. Not sure how to explain it. So many things happened in this chapter which really gave me insight into each character's true personality. Lin Xiu Lan... What can I say? I think she's falling fast and hard for the scholar. She just refuses to acknowledge her feelings. Perhaps, she is always so outspoken (a loudmouth, haha) and full of herself that she feels that admitting her feelings for someone as "weak and useless" as the scholar would be a sign of weakness in herself. I think when she finally realizes how powerful the scholar is, she will be furious at being tricked. Zhao Ning... I am starting to find her less annoying. I think she is outwardly weak and dependent because she always had a houseful servants at her beck and call. Who would have thought that underneath that spoiled facade lies a lonely, neglected girl who would have exchanged all the riches in the world for a caring word from her parents? Besides, her caring gesture toward Kao Xiao Feng after he collapsed from fatigue is sweet and shows that she is capable of thinking of someone else first. As for the scholar... He is still an enigma to me. I am almost positive that he possesses great martial arts, but is very experienced at hiding that fact...which makes him all the more dangerous and mysterious. Who is he? This is just a guess...but I think the black clothed attacker at the marketplace is Chen Gu Xing, who is hoping to force the scholar into revealing his true martial arts knowledge.

Hey charbydis. Great chapter! I like this one especially. Not sure how to explain it. So many things happened in this chapter which really gave me insight into each character's true personality. Lin Xiu Lan... What can I say? I think she's falling fast and hard for the scholar. She just refuses to acknowledge her feelings. Perhaps, she is always so outspoken (a loudmouth, haha) and full of herself that she feels that admitting her feelings for someone as "weak and useless" as the scholar would be a sign of weakness in herself. I think when she finally realizes how powerful the scholar is, she will be furious at being tricked.
    Hihi! Xiu Lan reacts the way she does because she is still a little girl, love is not yet a part of her priorities since her teacher never told her about it. Her love comes very naturally and innocently, it not plagued by illusions of fame and wealth; it is not sudden like lightning or violent like thunder . It is a gradual feeling that has built up over time so maybe even Xiu Lan has not realised how much she really likes him. But even if she does, it is not within her character to go and chase after the Scholar, she enjoys her superiority and his obedience.

Zhao Ning... I am starting to find her less annoying. I think she is outwardly weak and dependent because she always had a houseful servants at her beck and call. Who would have thought that underneath that spoiled facade lies a lonely, neglected girl who would have exchanged all the riches in the world for a caring word from her parents? Besides, her caring gesture toward Kao Xiao Feng after he collapsed from fatigue is sweet and shows that she is capable of thinking of someone else first.
    Zhao Ning is a very typical ancient rich girl, whose sole purpose in life is to find a rich guy, marry and have kids. She is quite bored and lonely inside, and the sometimes nice, sometimes mean Xiu Lan gives her excitement and change, whereas Ah Feng who is 100% obedient to her just reminds her of her old life so she is less interested in him.

But she is not cold hearted or anything. She does feel the friendship and "love" this group offers her but she just needs some time and chance to reciprocate. You will see that she is not that bad.

As for the scholar... He is still an enigma to me. I am almost positive that he possesses great martial arts, but is very experienced at hiding that fact...which makes him all the more dangerous and mysterious. Who is he?
    Your dream lover!

You know, I was chatting with my friends, and most of them believe that nothing draws attraction more than mystery and curiosity. I guess, me and SS used the right tactic when writing this character!

BTW, how are you when coping with disappointment?

Thanks for reading Mel. (P.S. Kill Ching Bong! )
    Cyril Connolly

Hi! After my long absence from SPCNET, it seems I have taken a long enough break to overcome my writer's block. i hope to return by the end of Oct and continue this story cos it's a shame that this story has no ending.

See you guys then! Up for it SS?
    Cyril Connolly