Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you watch old movies?

Default Do you watch old movies?

I grew up in the '80s and watched movies such as the Star Wars (1977) sequels The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and The Terminator. Those are the movies of my time, but I was also introduced to old movies at a very young age. Gone With the Wind (1939) is one of my all time favourites. Every year Easter time, I watch The Ten Commandments (1956) and Ben-Hur (1959). I watched along with my father David Lean's films like The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence of Arabia (1962). Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) has always captivated me. I first discovered it on TV one day when school was off and stumble upon it. I was only 11 years old I think and for some reason, I was so captivated by it. It's weird because the film is surely not the type of movie that normally attracts kids, yet I was hooked. Another movie that had a lasting impression on me as a kid was The Sand Pebbles (1966) and I became a fan of Steven McQueen since. My first romantic comedy was probably one of the movies staring Roch Hudson and Doris Day such as Pillow Talk (1959). My first scary movies are The Omen (1976) and Damien: Omen II (1978) and they still scare me today.

Do you watch old movies, movies before time or do you only watch movies that are recent?
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Of course I watch old movies.
    I'm a horror fan and while I like some of the new stuff, by far the best things were made in early 1990s, 1980s, 1970s - and of course, back in 1930s and 1920s. It doesn't get much better than Wiene's Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. And I simply *love* italian gore and gialli - and the golden age of those were 1970s and early 1980s. The two best Fulci's - Quella villa accanto al cimitero and E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldilà or my fave Argento's - Suspiria and Inferno - are actually older than me...:-)
    As for Hong Kong films - I'm very old-school. I can't get enough of Shaw films and Shaw stars or early 1980s Golden Harvest.
    And there's a lot more of course - European art films, Hollywood classics, old Samurai films and so on and so forth...
    The good thing about old films is that time has already sorted them out - and some of the bad ones are significantly improved through the nostalgia factor...:-)
    Last edited by Cesare; 05-27-09 at 03:06 PM.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

I only watch old movies if and when I get the chance and usually, they are of romance themed like Camille(30s), The Shop Around the Corner(40s), The Philadelphia Story (40s), The Importance of being Ernest (50s), Taming of the Shrew(60s), My Fair Lady(60s), etc. Don't recall watching any romance themed movies made in the 70s. To be honest, there are only very few I have enjoyed so far and would love to watch again - Goodbye, Mr. Chips and The Sound of Music, both made during the 1960s.

Still pondering on The Lion in Winter(60s). I have only watched Meryl Streep's version and while I do like it, it's not exactly one I'd watch again, even though I have been told that Peter O'Toole's version is much better.
    Last edited by BearBearNweather; 05-27-09 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I grew up in the '80s and watched movies such as the Star Wars (1977) sequels The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and The Terminator. Those are the movies of my time, but I was also introduced to old movies at a very young age. Gone With the Wind (1939) is one of my all time favourites. Every year Easter time, I watch The Ten Commandments (1956) and Ben-Hur (1959). I watched along with my father David Lean's films like The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) and Lawrence of Arabia (1962). Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) has always captivated me. I first discovered it on TV one day when school was off and stumble upon it. I was only 11 years old I think and for some reason, I was so captivated by it. It's weird because the film is surely not the type of movie that normally attracts kids, yet I was hooked. Another movie that had a lasting impression on me as a kid was The Sand Pebbles (1966) and I became a fan of Steven McQueen since. My first romantic comedy was probably one of the movies staring Roch Hudson and Doris Day such as Pillow Talk (1959). My first scary movies are The Omen (1976) and Damien: Omen II (1978) and they still scare me today.

Do you watch old movies, movies before time or do you only watch movies that are recent?
    I had seen many old movies, along with the one's you listed there. For example: Star Wars Trilogy, Terminator[I had seen all 4 movies], etc. I am a huge fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Supernatural, Historical, Comedy, Action/Adventure, Drama, etc. I still owned some of the movies you had mentioned above on VHS. Some are still unopened from the wrapping. Lately, Hollywood are running out of idea's which makes us wondering the same age old question: Which is better old movies or new movies? It really depends what you are looking within a movie? I do like the new updates in a movie, but it's important to have a good storyline, which older movies has compared to recent one's.

In the near future, there will be tons of Sci-fi robotic movies, fantasy, etc. Hmmm.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 06-01-09 at 09:26 AM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Yes, I do! Those titles that serve my memory right now would be these:-

1) What's Eating Gilbert Grape? -1981, I think. One of the few (very) raw movies. Watch it, if you have not, and you might understand what I mean.

2) Wizard of Oz - Totally classic! I have the DVD in my collector's because I just love this movie! It teaches us some good old (humane) lessons.

3) Jason and the Argonauts - a fantasy film from the 1963. I can't explain, but I just love everything about the film. The very original plot, the music and its effect used,....just everything.

4) King Kong, 1930s, I just love this masterpiece work of claymation. That era, is the rise of animation, using modeling clay. The "Spider-pit" portion was my favourite part of it. (Quite hilarious )

5) I do have a few collection of masterpieces of Sir Charlie Chaplin. He is the great grandmaster of comedy. I find it so true always "Tragedy and comedy are never too far apart". Given the difficult path he had walked through, he reversed the ideas of "tragedy", in his life, into films of comedy that the presented works come so sincere and original.

I have lots more!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I love watching old mystery movies like Death on the Nile, Murder on the Oriental Express, and Ten Little Indians. Why can't our current detective films be that good anymore?
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

I hate old movies, cant think of any that are good. But i am surprised no one said The Godfather. Thats supposed to be a great great old movie.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Chinese movies: hmm, sometimes, for fun, like Mr. Vampire and some of Stephen Chow's. but i'll watch those on TV if they broadcast.

English movies: I like the Star Wars trilogy. May sound weird for a girl, but that's how I'm like.

To answer the question, Yes I do.
    not watching anything specific at the moment.

Visit my blog
    Visit June's blog

Love Chen Qiao En, June Tsai, Chen Jingxuan, Eelyn Kok, Shu Chang, and many others

I watch them when they are shown on TV.

I want to watch those Greek mythology movies again.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I want to watch those Greek mythology movies again.
    Those should be available in DVD stores because they are trully gold! I enjoy watching them too!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Banned

Yes, i watch old movie.i like the old movie.....I watch movie from the internet . i watch movie from a site.....

I tend watch older movies that are popular amongst viewers or from people's recommendation. But I'll watch movies of almost any kind of genre.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 09-22-09 at 03:50 AM.

yes from time to time i like to rewatch them, they are magnificient and fullfilled with the feeling of that time
    I want to find the best clipart in the world!

I just watched the first 2 Godfather films a few days ago. It's pretty up there as a good movie, but I wouldn't call it the best movie of all time as some critics have.

Hi Everyone..

I seen old movies with my dad. Sometimes old movies are really nice to see again and again. Because there are always some good memories are related with those movies.
    So i watching once in a week.
    Cheers,
    Jhonmartin.
    Please do not use your signature as a way to advertise your products ~ your Moderator.

Yes, I watch old movies, especially in the mystery/crime drama genres. Some of my favorites include 12 Angry Men (1957), All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard, Sleuth (1972), and Chinatown. I've never understood the hype for some of Bogey's highest rated films (The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Casablanca *yawn*), though.

The Apartment, An Affair to Remember, Vertigo, North by Northwest and It's a Wonderful Life.

It amuses me to see movies like the original Star Wars trilogy and The Terminator being referred to as "old". But I guess they do seem old to people who weren't born yet when those movies were originally released.

I like many, many old movies. Metropolis (the silent movie, not the anime), The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton comedies, Nosferatu, Greed, the Thin Man series of films, The Best Years of Our Lives (my favorite World War II film), almost any film directed by Frank Capra (It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, to name a couple), The Philadelphia Story, Marx Brothers comedies, Hitchcock thrillers, Jacques Tati's Monsieur Hulot films, Jean Cocteau's La Belle et la Bete (the best film adaptation of the fairy tale, in my opinion), Stagecoach (the original version starring a young John Wayne), Come Drink With Me, Shaw Brothers kung fu movies, Airplane, The Kentucky Fried Movie, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian...

I could go on and on.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

You know, I thought Casablanca was not bad at all.

I think the oldest one I've seen is.... hmmm... schindlers list.
    it's pretty good.