Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Choice 《别无选择》

Quote Originally Posted by genna View Post
    I just finished episode 9...

SPOILERS (not really)
    I don't know if it's just me, but I thought the scene where Mai Zi went to keep Tian Bai warm incredibly awkward. lol... especially when he's sleeping on top of a blanket and there's like sheets/curtains draped on the bed, which she could have easily used to make him warmer. Oh, and I still think Cheng Meng Fei is the bad guy in all of this.
    I just finished EP 8 and that scene was awkward. For me, it's because Mai Zi looks like Tian Bai's older sister and she was crying during that scene, which just makes her look even less attractive. Qi Tian Bai is just annoyingly weak, he reminds me of Guan Hou Pu in Pu Ti Shu Xia.

I don't know why, but I'm so disengaged when watching this drama. None of the characters appeal to me and I feel like its a chore trucking through every episode. I think the same company produced Shang Hai Wang, which I really enjoyed, even though Wallace's character in that was also somewhat weak. Both No Choice and Shang Hai Wang have the gritty feel, but in the case of No Choice, the storyline and characterizations just fall flat for me. I'll wait for you to finish the drama and spoil me.

Also, did you know that Cheng Meng Fei's actor is only four years older than Wallace? It's amazing how youthful Wallace looks because they really could pass for father and son.
    Currently translating 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 at a very minute pace:
    http://xia0yuer.tumblr.com/

I'm back, ladies!

Anyway, I've been so busy lately that I haven't even had a chance to start watching No Choice. Seagd927 contacted me to let me know that No Choice is on EyesOnWallace's youtube channel. She was quite disgruntled... She told me that Hunan TV cut the series from 32 episodes to 24 episodes, which made everything very disjointed. Wallace's scenes were few and far in between apparently, which meant the cutting made his scenes even more sparse. If that's the case, I feel that the trailer did a lot of false advertising! There were a lot of Wallace scenes and we were led to believe that Wallace would have a major role in the series! Hmmm... I wonder if I should even waste my time watching this series.

Also, xia0yuer's comment about how weak Tian Bai's character is doesn't make me feel excited about watching No Choice. If he reminds xia0yuer of Guan Houpu, then Tian Bai's probably going to tick me off. I went back and watched the minimal Wallace parts in Pu Ti Shu Xia and indeed Guan Houpu was weak and very unfaithful in love, which really made me furious!

Regarding how old or...ahem...mature the actress playing Mai Zi looks, I just want to say that I wish the director had casted a younger looking actress. It's just very awkward seeing how old she looks next to Wallace. It's like he's making out (are there any make out scenes?) with his aunt or mother. Ewwww, right? Li Xiao Ran already looks old next to Wallace in TLTSILY, but the actress playing Mai Zi makes Li Xiao Ran appear like a spring chicken. I would say Mai Zi reminds me of the matronly female lead in Shanghai Wang, which I have never watched because I just couldn't stomach boyish Wallace making out with his matronly female lead. Plus, Mai Zi's rather plain-looking... What happened to all the hot young actresses? They're all avoiding the productions Wallace is in?

I just randomly skipped around for the Wallace parts just now. I know; that's so bad of me but I can't help it. I get impatient when Wallace is off screen. Anyway, I guess Mai Zi still looks pretty mature in live action, but probably a little younger than the lady in Shanghai Wang. However, next to Wallace, she's still pretty mature-looking and probably would fit right into a role as his elder sister or aunt.

Thank god for Wang Wu Shuang! She's adorable so far, and although she's not a stunning beauty, she's cute and young. Thank you! I hope Wallace's Tian Bai ends up with her.

So...I can't comment on the storyline, since I am not really watching it. I'm only skipping around for the Wallace parts and maybe now I'll also view the Wang Wu Shuang parts.

I'm enjoying the story so far actually. lol, but I haven't had time to watch anything this weekend, so I'm still on episode 9. Tian Bai is a spoiled shao ye, so I can understand why he's so weak. I'm pretty sure he'll change later on?

....Or maybe Hunan TV cut so much that we won't be able to see that transformation. I'm still mad at the channel, and specifically the people who manages their weibo.

Last Friday on weibo they announced that 'No Choice' will not be airing because they wanted to air a different drama in that time slot, supposedly due to "high demand from the audience". They said that 'No Choice' would resume airing Saturday at a different time.

Wallace's fans voiced their complaints on weibo... and due to the pressure, they aired ‘No Choice’ and announced that 'No Choice' will stay in its original time slot, no more changes will be made. But, they mentioned that viewership and ratings were really important to the channel, suggesting that 'No Choice' was not doing so well. And therefore, fans should be more mature about the situation. Uh... maybe they shouldn't air 5 episodes in one night then? Not everyone can sit in front of the television for so many hours. I don't think Wallace's fans were immature either. By moving 'No Choice' around all over the place, it would've only made the ratings worse imo. And there's no guarantee that the new drama they wanted to slip in would do any better. T^T

I really don't like how they handled the situation. On Saturday, they posted the ratings and rankings for Friday on weibo, which would have been fine, but they were pretty much like “now this were the ratings we got when we listened to everyone and aired ‘No Choice’, see how wrong that was?” That was totally uncalled for.

And now, without any further notice they decided to cut the drama short! Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by genna View Post
    ....Or maybe Hunan TV cut so much that we won't be able to see that transformation. I'm still mad at the channel, and specifically the people who manages their weibo.

Last Friday on weibo they announced that 'No Choice' will not be airing because they wanted to air a different drama in that time slot, supposedly due to "high demand from the audience". They said that 'No Choice' would resume airing Saturday at a different time.

Wallace's fans voiced their complaints on weibo... and due to the pressure, they aired ‘No Choice’ and announced that 'No Choice' will stay in its original time slot, no more changes will be made. But, they mentioned that viewership and ratings were really important to the channel, suggesting that 'No Choice' was not doing so well. And therefore, fans should be more mature about the situation. Uh... maybe they shouldn't air 5 episodes in one night then? Not everyone can sit in front of the television for so many hours. I don't think Wallace's fans were immature either. By moving 'No Choice' around all over the place, it would've only made the ratings worse imo. And there's no guarantee that the new drama they wanted to slip in would do any better. T^T

I really don't like how they handled the situation. On Saturday, they posted the ratings and rankings for Friday on weibo, which would have been fine, but they were pretty much like “now this were the ratings we got when we listened to everyone and aired ‘No Choice’, see how wrong that was?” That was totally uncalled for.

And now, without any further notice they decided to cut the drama short! Ugh.
    Ok, Hunan TV really handled the situation with no class whatsoever! What they implied by saying that No Choice would bring in poor ratings was such an insult to Wallace and to all the other actors in No Choice! I don't know about the other actors in No Choice, but Wallace Chung has a relatively large fan base and is pretty popular. They are so insulting by what they are insinuating! I hope this "amazing drama" they wanted to air in place of No Choice sucked in ratings!

I want to share my messages with seagd927 (with her permission, of course), as she is a wealth of information and has interesting comments on No Choice.

seagd927

This series is supposed to have 32 episodes. But Hunan TV's Mango Channel had shortened it into 25 episodes, to make room for other upcoming series. That is 7 episodes short! I had no idea a TV station is allowed to freely edit series. It is very disrespectful of the artists' work. Many fans are boycotting Hunan TV because of this. Indeed, when I watched it, there were so many scenes that do not seem to connect. At first I thought the writer/director/producer did a lousy job in the editing room, until I found out about this seemly common practice in Chinese television. I heard the fans who had pre-ordered DVDs of this series had been told the DVD set would have all 32 episodes. And it is possible that when other TV stations show the series, they would choose to air the whole series. Unbelievable!!

Melanie

I DID NOT know the series is cut! Oh, no! I want to watch the uncut version, esp since it's a Wallace series! I hate this! You should come discuss the series with us on spcnet! Have you finished the series yet? Is it good? Does Wallace get decent amount of screen time? Whom does he love in the series? Whom does he end up with? The actress who plays Mai Zi looks like his mother and is not pretty. For goodness sake, even I am prettier than she is! Sheesh, you'd think they can find prettier and younger-looking women.

seagd927

I am up to episode 20. And there is only 5 episodes left. This is ridiculous! Wallace has VERY little screen time so far, and I don't expect much more in the next 5 episodes either I have no idea whom he ends up with. I hope it is not Mai Zi. That actress has no expression on her face whatsoever. Even the actress who played her mother (Xiao Fang) is better looking and a better actress! I really like Wang Wu Shuang. I hope they do get together in the end. But from the synopsis posted on Baidu.com, it does not look promising....

Melanie

What does the synopsis on Baidu say? Does tian bai seem to love wu shuang or mai zi? I hope he's not one of those wish-washy characters who can't decide between two women! I never watched shanghai wang because the female lead was too much like his mother. Now they have another elderly actress (actress playing mai zi) playing his love interest. Is there a shortage of beautiful young actresses in china?

seagd927

Actually the synopsis on Baidu did not match the episodes aired so far. I suspected Hunan TV cut a LOT of the footage. It really didn't say anything about Tian Bai's love interest. But in Wu Shuan's character introduction, it did say the relationship was interrupted by Tian Bai's father.

I was only able to watch til episode #24. What happened to #25? #24's ending made no sense whatsoever, and it was not the ending they showed in the preview...

Melanie

Eh, should I even waste my time watching No Choice then? I don't mind spoilers, so please tell me what happens in the end. Whom does Tian Bai end up with? I sure hope it's Wu Shuang since she's more age appropriate! I hear from the members at spcnet that Tian Bai's character is annoyingly weak, like Guan Houpu in Pu Ti Shu Xia. I actually didn't like Houpu that much in that series, as I thought he was very unfaithful in love, a characteristic which I HATE in male characters.

seagd927

some spoilers below!!!

The mysterious ep. 25 is yet to be posted on Baidu. No one knows why it is not available. No unless you have watched it live when it was aired, no one had seen it. I haven't either. But in ep. 24, Wu Shuan gave the jade bangle that Tian Bai gave it to her to Mai Zi, and told her she is going to HK. I also heard that in ep. 25, Wu Shuan was acting rather affectionately with Xiao Jiu, even when she was at the train station, leaving for HK. So, the rumor is that Tian Bai didn't end up with anyone. Mai Zi was pregnant with her husband's baby, no sure about the fate of her husband though.....

Tian Bai is VERY weak in the beginning. But after he realized Cheng Meng Fei was the one who killed his mother, he became like "Ah Chu" in many ways. There is one scene when he and his father (Qi De Shi) were interrogating the former advisor of the governor. I swore I saw Wallace channeling "Ah Chu" :-) Those scenes are VERY well-acted, but very few are far in between. Again, the fans suspected a bad editing job.

If I were you, I probably wouldn't watch it, and would wait til the DVD comes out on April 5 and someone post them on-line. To watch this series as it is now is just going to cause you anger and confusion. It takes a LOT of imagination and guesswork to fill in those missing scenes.

Melanie

some spoilers below!!!

So whom does Tian Bai love - Mai Zi or Wu Shuang? I assume Wu Shuang, since he gave her a jade bangle. I hope he's not one of those male leads who can't decide between two women. I don't like such characters, whether female or male. I just want him/her to make a decision rather than be weak and wish-washy.

Oh, so Mai Zi married someone else! Does she love him?

And who is Xiao Jiu? Is he loving to Wu Shuang?

What made Wu Shuang leave Tian Bai?

I was jumping around in the series just to view the Wallace parts, so naturally I'm very confused. Is Cheng Meng Fei the villain in the series? I thought Xiao Qiang played the mother and she died early in the series, but I kept seeing her even in episode 20. I'm very confused.

Ok, I might just take your advice and hold off on watching it until someone is kind enough to post the full 32 dvd episodes. I think I will definitely buy the dvd for Yi Chu Ji Fa, if it's available, though. That series is definitely worth keeping.

I heard that Hunan TV wanted to delay broadcasting No Choice for "an amazingly popular drama." I guess they ended up chopping up No Choice to make room for this other series. What is this "amazing" series anyway? Do you know? Sorry for sounding sarcastic, but I think Wallace Chung has quite a large fan base and Hunan TV is really insulting his popularity.

seagd927

major spoilers below!!!

I think Tian Bai loves Wu Shuang. He told Mai Zi that she is his "sister". He said he could die for her, but he does not love her.

Mai Zi married the son of the wealthiest man in "Hui" City. His name is Chen Huai Gu. His father is Chen Shan. The marriage was arranged by Qi De Shi, who is Mai Zi's real father. She married him almost immediately after the downfall of the Qi family. Qi De Shi told Chen Shan that Mai Zi is his only natural offspring, that his son had to marry his daughter because Chen Shan owed him a favor. Mai Zi doesn't love him. He doesn't love her either. On their wedding night, he discovered that she was not a virgin, so he treated her quite harshly, frequently hitting her. (Here I have to confess I don't understand the night Tian Bai and Mai Zi spent in bed. I mean, Tian Bai was semi-conscious, how could he have made love to Mai Zi in that state??? I felt like Mai Zi was the one who robbed Tian Bai of his "first time", not the other way around, LOL!) Chen Huai Gu did seem to love Mai Zi eventually though. He told Mai Zi's mother that he had stopped going to the brothels, and that Mai Zi was the best. I don't know what made him change his mind, many scenes are missing....

Xiao Jiu was a member of Chen Meng Fei's gang when he was little. When Chen Meng Fei was sent to the hard labor camp, Xiao Jiu was adopted by a Japanese man, educated in Japan, then came back to China with that Japanese man. The man turned out to be a military commandar, he killed Chen Meng Fei in the end (although Tian Bai killed him first, at his own request). I am not sure if he truly loves Wu Shuang, but he definitely wanted to pursue her, he said it was a fair competition between he and Tian Bai.

I have no idea why Wu Shuang wanted to leave Tian Bai. They cut so many scenes it did not make any sense whatsoever. And they did not just cut the last 7 episodes, they cut scenes throughout the series. Wu Shuang told Mai Zi that Tian Bai is not the same person she knew before. So she is leaving him. But in a previous scene, Tian Bai asked Wu Shuang if he became a different person, will she still love him. She firmly said yes, and that she would do everything in her power to prevent him from changing! Tian Bai was foreshadowing his change in personality as he learned of his mother's killer (Chen Meng Fei, whom he highly respects) and the revenge plot begins. This is very much like Ah Chu, isn't it? I really liked Wu Shuang until that episode. Even if she no longer loves Tian Bai, she should give the bangle back to him, instead of giving it to Mai Zi. Love is not something that can be re-gifted!! It made me so mad!

Xiao Qiang played a female lawyer whom Chen Meng Fei met after he got out of prison. Chen Meng Fei became friends with her because she looked like Lin Yi. She loved him, but he had told her repeatedly that he could only love the deceased Lin Yi. She said she would settle for being his friend for life. I don't know why Tian Bai doesn't act surprised when he first saw her, since she looks exactly like his mother. But then again, he might have acted surprised in a previous scene, we just didn't get to see it due to the editing.....

Chen Meng Fei is actually the hero of this series. He loves his country. Although he was a gangster, he was like "Robin Hood". He was the real father figure to Tian Bai, always teaching him the right thing to do. Qi De Shi is the villain. Although he raised Tian Bai, his only intention was to one day use him agaist Chen Meng Fei. He would do anything to destroy both Chen Meng Fei and Tian Bai, including siding with the Japanese. I heard that in ep. 25, he derived a plot so that Tian Bai was imprisoned by the Japanese. He told Chen Meng Fei that only one of them would get to live, and that the choice is up to him. (This is all heresay, I still haven't seen ep. 25)

I don't know what the new "amazing" series is. The title is "Two Female Gangsters". Probably the Chinese version of "Thelma and Louis" (I am just guessing). I am not interested in it whatsoever. Many fans said that this station is just a local station, its programs are not aired via satellite. So it shouldn't "ruin" the series, as other stations (better stations) would more than likely air the whole series later on.

Did I just ruin the whole series for you? I didn't mean to tell give out so many spoilers.....

Melanie

major spoilers below!!!

OMG, no, I absolutely do not mind spoilers! In fact, I love spoilers. I am the type of person who reads the last chapter of a novel before deciding if I want to read through the whole thing. Even after I decide to read the whole book, I'll still skip around. I'm pretty impatient.

Thank you so much for the details on the series. I don't really know if I like the romance in this series that much. It certainly pales to the romantic plot line in Yi Chu Ji Fa. Although I know romance is only part of a story, it really annoys me if I don't like how a leading character handles his/her love life to the point that the poorly written romantic plot will taint my view of the entire series.

I only hope that Tian Bai told Mai Zi very early on that he saw her only as a sister. If he really felt that way about her and yet he still slept with her, then I won't like his character. However, from your description of how they "slept together," I can only cringe at the very thought of that scene. First, Mai Zi was too old for him. She was robbing the cradle. (Who cares what the actress' real age is compared to Wallace's? She just looks old, and in the entertainment industry, looks are important, as shallow as that sounds.) Second, if Tian Bai was truly unconscious, or pretty much out cold, then Mai Zi was certainly the one who raped him, and the thought of that made me nauseous. I do wonder how she accomplished the feat, though. I always laugh at scripts where the guy is out cold and still managed to have intercourse with the scheming second female lead. I hope the scriptwriters realize that it is physically impossible for a woman to rape a man if he is unconscious and not...well...you know... Conversely, it IS possible for a man to rape an unconscious woman.

Wang Wu Shuang probably thought she could accept Tian Bai's changed personality, but in the end when she was truly faced with a different Tian Bai, she just couldn't love him anymore. That was probably why she left him for another man. I do agree that re-gifting love is inconsiderate and disrespectful of the person who loves you. The fact that Wu Shuang tried to "re-gift" Tian Bai's love to Mai Zi tells us that she had truly stopped loving Tian Bai, for she no longer cared whether he would be with another woman.

So it was pretty clear in the series that Mai Zi's baby is her husband's and not Tian Bai's?

Hunan TV sucks and I hope their "amazing drama" falls short of expectations. I am mean and vindictive, yes.

They're cutting the drama?! That's a total of 8 episodes we're not gonna get

The girl that plays Mai Zi looks really emotionless in the pictures. She has this blank face and her eyes look really dull. Wallace probably outshines her in every scene huh? The story line doesn't seem that interesting either... I think I'll just wait until you guys finish the drama so I can get some feedback before I decide to watch or skip it :P

What?! There is not way that Mai Zi and Tian Bai did it. 1) He still had his pants on (Mai Zi only took off his shirt), 2) Mai Zi still had her pants on, 3) Tian Bai was unconscious 4) He was snuggling against her, NOT ON TOP OF HER.

WHY HUNAN TV???? I also hope their next drama is a total flop. Cutting the drama is just extremely disrespectful to the actors, screenwriters and producers who put so much of their time into making it. If they weren't going to show the whole series, why would they even buy the rights to that series?!

This is ridiculous and I am super annoyed. Ugh.

I'm probably not even going to watch the full 32 episodes when it comes out. Just thinking about this makes me angry.

Quote Originally Posted by xia0yuer View Post
    What?! There is not way that Mai Zi and Tian Bai did it. 1) He still had his pants on (Mai Zi only took off his shirt), 2) Mai Zi still had her pants on, 3) Tian Bai was unconscious 4) He was snuggling against her, NOT ON TOP OF HER.
    Perhaps the scriptwriters had immaculate conception in mind. *sarcasm* From what I heard about the scene, Tian Bai was too disoriented and nearly unconscious to do anything, let alone be coordinated enough to unbutton his pants AND her pants and...umm...you know.... So guess who had to do all the work? Mai Zi! Tian Bai should be screaming rape when he woke up. Sheesh. I'm all pissed off about this series now, even before actually watching the whole thing without skipping around. I haven't been this pissed since Murong Feng's betrayal...

Is there any scene about storming the forbidden city and killing the qing emperor to bring peace and stability to the han people?

I really want to finish this drama as I do think it's one of Wallace's better ones... man I'll have to wait for the dvd now =.=

lmao, you know when I watched that scene with Tian Bai and Mai Zi, my first reaction was that she was going to have sex with him to keep him warm. Cause of that look on her face at first and then she started undressing. I was totally confused at that point at how that was supposed to help anyone who's sick and with a fever, but then I saw that Tian Bai only hugged her. So, I assumed nothing happened, guess I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by StepbyStep View Post
    The girl that plays Mai Zi looks really emotionless in the pictures. She has this blank face and her eyes look really dull. Wallace probably outshines her in every scene huh? The story line doesn't seem that interesting either...
    The actress playing Mai Zi has lifeless eyes. I think that is what makes her appear so old and tired. Add in her expressionless face, and well, she just looks unattractive and inappropriately fatigued and old next to Wallace, who looks amazingly young in this drama, even younger than in Yi Chu Ji Fa! I think I am so offended by that "Mai Zi having her way with poor unconscious Tian Bai" scene because (1) it's just wrong and a bit nauseating and (2) she just looks like she's robbing the cradle!

On a brighter note, I skimmed over Episode 14 and there is this one little section everyone MUST see, even if you haven't gotten to this point yet or don't plan on watching No Choice at all! Check it out at 31:22 minutes. It's not a prominent spoiler segment or anything. It just shows Tian Bai joking with and teasing Wu Shuang and they look so beautiful together, so right together! And I have to say that Wallace looks soooo handsome right at 32:33 minutes. Watch it! Watch it! OMG, I am so in love with Wallace!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    The actress playing Mai Zi has lifeless eyes. I think that is what makes her appear so old and tired. Add in her expressionless face, and well, she just looks unattractive and inappropriately fatigued and old next to Wallace, who looks amazingly young in this drama, even younger than in Yi Chu Ji Fa! I think I am so offended by that "Mai Zi having her way with poor unconscious Tian Bai" scene because (1) it's just wrong and a bit nauseating and (2) she just looks like she's robbing the cradle!
    Very true, her eyes are lifeless. At first, didn't think anything of that 'warming up scene' but now knowing that something did happen, I am also pretty disgusted with Mai Zi. She could have kept him warm without taking advantage of Tian Bai!

On a brighter note, I skimmed over Episode 14 and there is this one little section everyone MUST see, even if you haven't gotten to this point yet or don't plan on watching No Choice at all! Check it out at 31:22 minutes. It's not a prominent spoiler segment or anything. It just shows Tian Bai joking with and teasing Wu Shuang and they look so beautiful together, so right together! And I have to say that Wallace looks soooo handsome right at 32:33 minutes. Watch it! Watch it! OMG, I am so in love with Wallace!
    Awww, they are cute together but I think Wu Shuang looks better with long hair. The bob is way too short and makes her look a bit pudgier and older than she actually is.

Hey everyone! Seagd927 sent me a link where the complete, uncut dvd episodes of No Choice could be found! Thanks to seagd927! Unfortunately, for some reason, I can't view the player on the site. Maybe the player is not compatible with Safari or Firefox, which is what I'm using on my Apple laptop. However, I'll post the link here so that the rest of you can enjoy the full episodes! So far, there are 28 episodes posted with a total of 32 episodes. Promise me you'll tell me what REALLY happened in the uncut version, especially about whom Tian Bai ends up with! I hope it's not Mai Zi... Ewwww!

http://www.lele.tv/dianshiju/biewuxuanze/

Also, here is seagd927's message below regarding episode 25 that she was able to watch at the link above. It has some spoilers about Tian Bai and Wu Shuang...

from seagd927

Someone has posted the DVD (uncut) version of "No Choice". Here are a couple of links:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1491411744

http://www.lele.tv/dianshiju/biewuxuanze/

They have posted up to ep. 28. I haven't watched the whole thing. But I did watch ep. 25 because I thought it was the continuation of Hunan TV's version. But when I opened it, it was the uncut version. Imagine my excitement!!

Anyway, the fans said that Tian Bai's scenes were mostly unchanged up to episode 17 or 18. Hunan TV cut almost the entire ep. 24. Xiao Qiang's scenes were cut the most. Then there are the interchanges between Tian Bai and Chen Meng Fei, those were cut as well. I love those scenes. Chen Meng Fei was always trying to teach Tian Bai the right way to handle each situation, unlike Qi De Shi, who was always trying to steer Tian Bai to the evil side. When I watched ep. 25, it did give us a bit more detail on Tian Bai and Wu Shuang's breakup. It was mostly instigated by Tian Bai's father, Qi De Shi. Wu Shuang wanted to believe Tian Bai is still a good person.

Hopefully Eyes on Wallace will post this on Youtube as well...

I have to run now! I'll be back when I have more time!

Yay! I was able to contact ForeverWallace at YouTube, and she said will start uploading the uncut episodes of No Choice on YouTube tonight! So yay for everyone who cannot view the series at the link I previously posted! Just go to YouTube and look for ForeverWallace's channel.

Once again, thanks to seagd927 and ForeverWallace!!!

Thanks for letting us know Melanie! I'll watch it as soon as I have time ^^

Seagd927 provided a link to the Wallace-only parts of No Choice. Here is the first video, starting at episode 4 when Wallace first appears.

Talking

Here is the link to the complete uncut 32 episodes of No Choice on ForeverWallace's Youtube channel!!! Thanks so much to ForeverWallace for uploading these episodes in record time!

(By the way, I would also like to thank EyesOnWallace. She was going to also upload the uncut episodes for everyone to enjoy, but noticed that ForeverWallace had already done so. )

Again, thank you, ladies!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ForeverW...?feature=watch

Here is the first uncut episode:

Both seagd927 and I have finished watching No Choice. Below is my conversation with her regarding the ending. Don't read if you don't want spoilers!

seagd927

Okay, I just finished the uncut version. The ending is kind of open-ended, it is up to the audience to interpret. It shows a scene in which the three of them (Xiao Jiu, Wu Shaung and Tian Bai) walking together, hand in hand. They all wanted to go to HK. Wu Shuang wants to become a lawyer, Xiao Jiu wants to become a businessman, Tian Bai wants to study music (I laughed at this). Both men said Wu Shuang was his. And Wu Shuang just smiled. I have a feeling Wu Shuang will end up with Tian Bai though. I have to say, Wallace is SOOOO cute in that final scene. I just love his smile

I have to say my feeling towards Wu Shuang is different now. She is not the same person. I no longer feel she and Tian Bai make the perfect couple. There was one scene (I don't remember the episodes #) where she and Mai Zi each took out a bangle, put them on the table and gave them back to Tian Bai, walked out without saying a word. That was when Tian Bai just found out who his real father was, he felt betrayed by both fathers, he felt both father only cared about their own agenda, and never asked him what he wanted, and he was shot in the shoulder by Qi De Shi. That was the time when he needed someone to comfort him, a shoulder to cry on, etc. But instead, both women were there to rub salt into the wound. I thought both women were extremely insensitive and cold towards Tian Bai. Given their 20+ year friendship, they could've at least said something comforting to him. Instead, they "collaborated" and gave him back the "gift of love" together (even though Mai Zi's bangle did not come from Tian Bai himself). Wu Shuang then told everyone she is going to HK, and Mai Zi went back to her husband. I think Tian Bai deserves a better woman, one who would love him more.

BTW, Mai Zi's child IS her husband's. He was hit in the head by a Japanese soldier when he tried to rescue Tian Bai. He has been bedridden ever since, essentially in a vegetative state. But Mai Zi firmly believe he would eventually wake up.

Melanie

Hmmm.... A very interesting ending.... Not quite what I had imagined.

So what happened in the "bangle returning" scene? What was Tian Bai's response? I don't even understand why Mai Zi was there returning a bangle he didn't even give her. She was debasing herself and it was a moot point. He didn't want Mai Zi's comfort anyway, he wanted Wu Shuang's. When a man loves a woman, her presence by his side is worth a million times more than a "regular friend's" presence. What happened after that scene? Was that scene the "official breakup" between Tian Bai and Wu Shuang? So I thought Wu Shuang was going to HK? How did Tian Bai end up tagging along with her and Xiao Jiu?

My gut feeling (if there is a sequel) is that Tian Bai still loves Wu Shuang, but Wu Shuang no longer loves him as much anymore. I am sure she still has romantic feelings toward him, but she has grown to like Xiao Jiu, and when there are alternatives in the game of love, the heart wavers. Xiao Jiu is pretty amusing and charming, no less charming than Tian Bai. But I guess Tian Bai must fight for Wu Shuang, as a love obtained too easily will not be cherished.

seagd927

I am not sure what happened either. If Wu Shuang had given her one and only bangle to Mai Zi, how did she get the other one, the one that was in Chen Meng Fei's possession all these years? I have to confess I was skipping around too, and there were a couple of episode files I couldn't open. So I had to skip those....

I think Wu Shuang was leaving for HK after that scene. Xiao Jiu took her to the train station. But then the Japanese fighter jets came and bombed the city. They had to return to Chen Meng Fei's office.

Tian Bai and Xiao Jiu seemed to be good friends. The three were joking around in the end. Xiao Jiu told Tian Bai to give Wu Shuang to him, since he is older than Tian Bai. He also said Tian Bai is very handsome, there will be many pretty girls chasing after him in HK (I laughed outloud at that point). Tian Bai said Wu Shuang is his, he is not going to give her away. And after all, he saved Xiao Jiu's life (I didn't get to see that scene, I am still confused). Xiao Jiu then said it should be a fair competition. The threesome then walked away hand in hand.

Tian Bai and Wu Shuang's engagement was arranged by their parents when they were 18. Neither of them wanted to get married at that time. Tian Bai still wanted to "play". Wu Shuang wanted to finish her education in a teacher's college. She always wanted to be an independent woman of the new generation. Neither wanted to be bound by this marriage. They derived a series of plots to make their parents feel guilty about this arrangement. In the end, Lin Yi agreed to dissolve this engagement. But Lin Yi warned them that they would regret this later on. She said they were destined to be together, they just couldn't see this "destiny" yet. Both kids were extremely happy about this dissolution....

Melanie

Ok, I finished the drama! Well, I still skipped around and didn't watch the beginning. I only started from episode 14 onward.

Anyway, I wanted to share my opinion with you.

The jade bangle business... There was actually a pair of bangles, one kept by Tian Bai's mother and the other kept by Cheng Meng Fei. Cheng Meng Fei told Wu Shuang that the bangles were meant to be a pair. Knowing that his son, Tian Bai, loved Wu Shuang, he astutely figured out that Tian Bai had already given the other bangle to her (not knowing that she had re-gifted it to Mai Zi). Wishing for the bangles to remain a pair, Cheng Meng Fei gave the bangle in his possession to Wu Shuang also. It was then that Wu Shuang figured out that Cheng Meng Fei was Tian Bai's biological father, I think, because of the bangle.

The scene where both Mai Zi and Wu Shuang returned the jade bangles to Tian Bai.... I thought Mai Zi's returning of the bangle was very appropriate. He didn't love her; it had always been one-sided on her part. By returning the bangle, which he had never given her in the first place, it was her way of saying that she had let go of her unrequited love for him, of setting him free from her hatred. But Wu Shuang shouldn't have given Tian Bai the bangle back! Her returning of the bangle symbolized her abandonment of him. He had given the bangle to her in love and trust and she had turned around and re-gifted it someone else. Cheng Meng Fei had given her his bangle in blessing, as his way of welcoming her into the family as his "daughter-in-law." And yet, she returned both at a time when Tian Bai needed her comfort the most. Even if she no longer loved him, she should have at least waited until later to return the bangles.

I didn't like Tian Bai, Wu Shuang, and Xiao Jiu's ending. It's too cheerful and open-ended, too friendly. I understand they're all friends, but nonetheless Xiao Jiu and Tian Bai are love rivals. Do Wu Shuang and Tian Bai still love each other? The ending doesn't REALLY address that. There were no scenes between Tian Bai and Wu Shuang after Cheng Meng Fei died to let us know how they felt about each other after all that had happened. I mean, just an episode before, Wu Shuang had returned the jade bangle to Tian Bai! At least, if Tian Bai and Wu Shuang still loved each other, there should be a scene where he gave her the bangle again and she accepted it back.

Ironically, I really hated Mai Zi throughout the whole series, but loved her at the end. She realized her mistake, realized that it was pointless chasing after a love that could never be, and learned to accept and cherish the love that she already had. She matured and blossomed into a beautiful woman internally (even though the actress portraying her is only average in looks).

I agree with you all!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm watching up to episode 10 and there is no way that Mai Zi lost it to Tian Bai~!!!! I don't think that a person who is sick would be in the mood for sexual stuff plus... he was cold! how is taking off her clothes going to make him warm??? couldn't she just had kept her clothes on and lay beside him? I mean I understand why she took off his shirt... probably because it was wet from the rain.... but beside that... this drama is pretty interesting.

I was wondering why some episodes feels unfinished... I've been watching the cut version T.T
    Last edited by goodmorning; 04-18-12 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I agree with you all!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm watching up to episode 10 and there is no way that Mai Zi lost it to Tian Bai~!!!!
    You should say that poor Tian Bai "lost it" to rapist Mai Zi. I never thought I would take a man's side in such an argument, but what Mai Zi did to Tian Bai was disgraceful and WRONG!!!

I was wondering why some episodes feels unfinished... I've been watching the cut version T.T
    You should definitely watch the uncut version, or else the plot will seem disjointed and senseless. Have you finished the series yet? What are your thoughts so far?

You should also watch Yi Chu Ji Fa. I think you'll like that one better than No Choice.