Thread: The Hunger Games: too violent for children?

Default The Hunger Games: too violent for children?

The Hunger Games: too violent for children?

Some parents have taken their children out of screenings of The Hunger Games, saying that they have been too distressed by the film.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02174/HG13_2174627b.jpg')
    Concerns have been raised about the violent content of The Hunger Games, after some parents have taken their children out of screenings saying that they have found the film too distressing.

Originally the BBFC gave the film a 15 rating but after producers agreed to a seven-second cut a 12A rating was given. This means that children aged 12 and over can see the film alone, and those under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
    Based on the novel by Suzanne Collins, the film depicts a dystopia where children are forced to fight to death in the gladiator-style televised “Hunger Games” which are used as punishment for a past misdeed. Unexpectedly, given the storyline of its source material, it features many violent scenes where children are seen fatally injuring one another.

The film, which stars Jennifer Lawrence, Woody Harrelson and Donald Sutherland, has grossed £5million in its opening weekend – surpassing that of Twilight which, due to both films having a female protagonist, The Hunger Games is being regularly compared to.
    However, concerns are growing about how young children may be affected by what they see. The BBFC has received a small number of complaints and some are calling for the certificate to be changed.
    The BBFC say that they will not revise a theatrical classification once it has been issued. Local authorities do have the power to change classifications of films shown in cinemas in their own area, however this very rarely happens.

Link
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...-children.html
    Have anyone watch this movies here?
    Is this movies about children killing children?

Then I guess Battle Royale is completely out of the question.

hah! yea that one was much more violent

i would have to see it to answer the proposed question...read all the books but i am nearly 30 :T
    I like me.

Yep, way too violent for kiddies. In my 2nd viewing of the movie, I noticed some children were taken out by their parents mid-way through the screening. Thought to self: Would definitely NOT let my hypothetical kids watch this movie.

The movie itself is excellent (as expected from Catherine Hardwicke as director). So many beautiful layers. The level of violence in the movie certainly is an addition rather than a warped interpretation from the book. I imagine it was intentional - at the very least condoned - as the author was part of the production and writing crew.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE
    read all the books but i am nearly 30 :T
    Never too young or old for a well written piece of literature . (The ending of the whole series, in terms of sentence structure, content, and message is one of the best I've seen in YA fiction...even better than Harry Potter and Twilight).

i hate how the movie is too violent for kids but too gentle for adults... i was very disappointed with most of the killing scenes

the movie should just pick one audience and go for it
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I just went to go see it. I wouldn't say that it is terribly graphic in the traditional sense...no gore or intestines or anything. However, there is murder of children by children. That is was a bit off putting. It was definitely too violent for kids. Some adults I know didn't care for the slaughter of children (who does?) and didn't recommend it too adults.

I wouldn't watch the movie again, but I would read the book again.
    I like me.

I think it is. ㅡ,ㅡ But Hunger Games is a good movie too. I enjoyed watching it.