Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the character that you hated the most in loch

Yang Kang. So much potential as a character, little of it realised in the story. Every adaptation has understandably tried to bring out what was latent in his character. Given the relatively little time that we see him, Wanyan Honglie is well set up as the Jin counterpart to Genghis Khan, with one leading a weak but rising nation, the other leading a strong but failing nation. They're both heroes (ying xiong) in the scale of their ambitions, as defined by Genghis Khan.

HuaZheng, everytime she appears, the story got boring.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I think of human emotions. Guo Fu loved Yang Guo (in a way that she didn't even understand until the end of novel), while Cheng Kun loved Yang Dingtian's wife. Ding Chunqiu loved no one but himself.
    hmmmm........... you are right on that point. and he was a bad guy. i just never hated him that much because he was not involved with the people that i was thinking was important.

on second thought.......... he wasn't in loch so why was he brought up anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Alinda View Post
    on second thought.......... he wasn't in loch so why was he brought up anyway?
    As a point of comparison - to demonstrate how LOCH doesn't seem to have that one character that almost everybody hates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    As a point of comparison - to demonstrate how LOCH doesn't seem to have that one character that almost everybody hates.
    oh ok. i just wanted to know what other people thought about the topic that's all

The man has his pride, but I've always had a certain respect for him because he didn't back down even against enemies who were, as you say, at least ten times more powerful than he. Although it was near suicidal for him to do so, Ohr Jen Ngok didn't back down from the likes of Mui Chiu Fung or even Wong Yerk See and Au Yeung Fung. That takes some serious cajones, and I can respect that.
    Well, that's true but you gotta know your strengths and weaknesses. He wasn't afraid to die, no doubt about that. However, he was so headstrong and would die a useless death to prove that he's right when he's actually wrong.

Maybe I dislike Bao Xirou because she is just simply a weak character, mentally and physically. All she's got are looks, where unlike XLN who can actually kick butt.

In the 3 adaptions that I've seen ('82, '94, and '08) Huazheng was annoying as hell. In '82, I kind of pitied her. But in '08 all I did was wanted to make her shut her mouth or just skip the scenes. Don't remember much about '94, but I know I didn't like her there either. In the novel HZ was willing to give up GJ easily? Guess adaptations stretched out HZ's jealousy to emphasize on the love triangle.
    Last edited by Yuet Thi; 04-05-12 at 02:11 AM.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

Quote Originally Posted by Yuet Thi View Post
    Well, that's true but you gotta know your strengths and weaknesses. He wasn't afraid to die, no doubt about that. However, he was so headstrong and would die a useless death to prove that he's right when he's actually wrong.

Maybe I dislike Bao Xirou because she is just simply a weak character, mentally and physically. All she's got are looks, where unlike XLN who can actually kick butt.

In the 3 adaptions that I've seen ('82, '94, and '08) Huazheng was annoying as hell. In '82, I kind of pitied her. But in '08 all I did was wanted to make her shut her mouth or just skip the scenes. Don't remember much about '94, but I know I didn't like her there either. In the novel HZ was willing to give up GJ easily? Guess adaptations stretched out HZ's jealousy to emphasize the on love triangle.
    Have you seen her in the 2003 version by zhang jizhong?

Ohr Jen Ngok can be loud and quick-tempered, but when you look into his character a little deeper, he actually shows decent judgment most of the time. He's a stand-up guy, and that's good enough for me.

Meh. Pau Sik Yerk was just passive, which doesn't offend me. Little Dragon Girl and all the members of that Ancient Tomb Sect were all *passive-aggressive*, which irks me no end. Not a fan of the Ancient Tomb Sect crew. They're all a bunch of aloof, passive-aggressive snobs with victim complexes.

Quote Originally Posted by IPlayWow View Post
    Have you seen her in the 2003 version by zhang jizhong?
    They were showing LOCH '03 on my TV a few years ago. Caught a glimpse of it, but I didn't like the actors/actresses and their style of clothing. I'm not a big fan of wuxia adaptations from anywhere else other than TVB.
    Simon the Snowblower.

Ohr Jen Ngok can be loud and quick-tempered, but when you look into his character a little deeper, he actually shows decent judgment most of the time. He's a stand-up guy, and that's good enough for me.

Meh. Pau Sik Yerk was just passive, which doesn't offend me. Little Dragon Girl and all the members of that Ancient Tomb Sect were all *passive-aggressive*, which irks me no end. Not a fan of the Ancient Tomb Sect crew. They're all a bunch of aloof, passive-aggressive snobs with victim complexes.
    How was XLN passive-aggressive? She really didn't give a crap about much, and the stuff she did, she blatantly told you so. I could see a better argument for Li Mochou, but even she can't be considered passive aggressive since she makes it clear she hates men, and will kill people that offend her in any way. Their ancestors and founder might be, but they really don't share that characteristic.

Well she ran away with her husband the moment she realized he was still alive, and had the guts to kill herself along with her husband. She also lived in a hut instead of a life of luxury, so that has to get her some points. People had done worse to make sure their children have a good life.

Does anyone happen to know how the society viewed remarriage after the husband dies back then? Was she expected to stay a widow, or is there an appropriate mourning period?

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Well she ran away with her husband the moment she realized he was still alive, and had the guts to kill herself along with her husband. She also lived in a hut instead of a life of luxury, so that has to get her some points. People had done worse to make sure their children have a good life.

Does anyone happen to know how the society viewed remarriage after the husband dies back then? Was she expected to stay a widow, or is there an appropriate mourning period?
    I guess so. Props to her for being brave enough to kill herself and her husband. Did she think of Yang Kang while trying to commit suicide? It was also partly her fault for how Yang Kang turned out to be the man he is. And somebody told me she slept (not raped by) with Wanyan Honglie during the time she stayed with him.
    Simon the Snowblower.

I guess so. Props to her for being brave enough to kill herself and her husband. Did she think of Yang Kang while trying to commit suicide? It was also partly her fault for how Yang Kang turned out to be the man he is. And somebody told me she slept (not raped by) with Wanyan Honglie during the time she stayed with him.
    I don't remember exactly, but Yang Kang might have been there when it happened, and right before she already saw that he was being unfilial and unwilling to acknowledge his true father. If I were her I probably wouldn't be thinking of that spoiled brat, as he was already 20+ years old with formidable martial arts. She surely has a big part to blame for his bad upbringing (his palace life didn't help) but that is really the only thing I'd blame her for.

She lost her chastity to Wanyan Honglie, and I'd guess that she didn't really want to sleep with him, but as his wife now she probably felt an obligation to after X amount of time. It was probably a huge chore for her every time.

I don't know if I hated any character in LOCH. I did dislike HuaZheng a lot. I mostly found her super annoying. LOL

Now, had this question been about ROCH, there are quite a few characters that I hate. I hate Gongsun Zhi, then those two Quanzhen twin idiots Zhao Zhijing and Zhen Zhibing. I also didn't like Guo Fu and those idiots Wu brothers (gosh so many annoying characters in ROCH). Also didn't particularly like Huo Du.