Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which TVB series cause Jin Yong to ban TVB from adapting his work?

Default Which TVB series cause Jin Yong to ban TVB from adapting his work?

Was it 99's Flying Fox
    2000's Crimson
    2000's HSDS?

Which one was it?

It was actually better than 99 Flying Fox and 2000 Crimson Saber, though - both of those took really gross plot liberties, while HSDS took smaller liberties with characters. Maybe it was the straw which broke the camel's back. It's hard to imagine a writer being okay with FF99 and CS00 and yet get completely upset with HSDS 2000.

HSDS 2000 wasn't so bad. The fighting was off, but so was 2003. I thought the character development was good. They added some extra scenes, but who wants to watch the same thing over and over? It was very entertaining. I think banning TVB was kind of harsh because they had many great classics and TVB is how a lot of people got introduced to Jin Yong's works in the first place.

Just my opinion.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

I agree that HSDS 2000 was the straw that broke the camel's back, but, not the sole cause of the ban. Flyingfox 99 and Crimson Sabre took even more liberties.

Why did people hate HSDS 2000? Is it only because of the casting of Zhang Wu Ji?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

The cast for HSDS is quite strong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hea...000_TV_series)
    Perhaps Lawrence looks too "old" for ZWJ. Charmaine should look younger and wear more colourful clothing for ZZR.

My vague recollection of the three shows - spoilers ahead but I think its been long enough that no one cares one way or the other - no guarantee on accuracy but this is what I remembered from the show.

99 Flying Fox: WTH? QianLong (Marco Ngai) raped MRL (Charmaine Sheh) by pretending to be someone else? and Wu Fei is played by the Category III actor (at that point Sunny Chan was slightly more notorious for his films than tv)

2000 Crimson: Why can't YSC (Gordon Lam) and 9 (Charmaine Sheh) stop staring at each other....for the love of holiness...do something and stop staring at each other... I think these were the romance scenes.

2000 HSDS: Teenage (pre-16) ZWJ is played by close to middle age Lawrence Ng who was the evil guy in Grand Canal in 1986. I see wires during the action scenes (I didn't even see wires during 80's ROCH)!!! My absolute favorite scene in the whole book where ZWJ single-handedly defends Brightness Peak lasts about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuet Thi View Post
    HSDS 2000 wasn't so bad. The fighting was off, but so was 2003. I thought the character development was good. They added some extra scenes, but who wants to watch the same thing over and over? It was very entertaining. I think banning TVB was kind of harsh because they had many great classics and TVB is how a lot of people got introduced to Jin Yong's works in the first place.

Just my opinion.
    TVB is absolutely rubbish after the 90s. Not like anyone's missing out on anything if he didn't ban them.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    My vague recollection of the three shows - spoilers ahead but I think its been long enough that no one cares one way or the other - no guarantee on accuracy but this is what I remembered from the show.

99 Flying Fox: WTH? QianLong (Marco Ngai) raped MRL (Charmaine Sheh) by pretending to be someone else? and Wu Fei is played by the Category III actor (at that point Sunny Chan was slightly more notorious for his films than tv)

2000 Crimson: Why can't YSC (Gordon Lam) and 9 (Charmaine Sheh) stop staring at each other....for the love of holiness...do something and stop staring at each other... I think these were the romance scenes.

2000 HSDS: Teenage (pre-16) ZWJ is played by close to middle age Lawrence Ng who was the evil guy in Grand Canal in 1986. I see wires during the action scenes (I didn't even see wires during 80's ROCH)!!! My absolute favorite scene in the whole book where ZWJ single-handedly defends Brightness Peak lasts about 15 minutes.
    I think plot-liberty wise, the 99 Flying Fox's merging of two female lead characters into one TVB-created character was terrible. Crimson Sabre's treatment of Xia Xueyi was also overly creative. I didn't really mind from a serial point of view - Kong Wah and Melissa made for a beautiful couple (much better than Yuan Chengzi and Wen Qingqing) and I think I liked them the most in the serial. However, making Golden Snake Swordsman survive instead of die after all those years must have been quite a shock to Jin Yong. HSDS has a fair bit of filler, and they reduced the 5 wanderers to 3 (which annoyed me - how hard could it be to find another two supporting actors for another two small roles?) but overall I don't recall going "WHAT?!!!". The bit where Wuji gets fire deviation from the Holy Tablets and Chen Youliang casts his voodoo on the Wudang heroes were annoying and redundant, but they didn't shake the main plot the way the liberties in FF99 and BXJ00 did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I think plot-liberty wise, the 99 Flying Fox's merging of two female lead characters into one TVB-created character was terrible. Crimson Sabre's treatment of Xia Xueyi was also overly creative. I didn't really mind from a serial point of view - Kong Wah and Melissa made for a beautiful couple (much better than Yuan Chengzi and Wen Qingqing) and I think I liked them the most in the serial. However, making Golden Snake Swordsman survive instead of die after all those years must have been quite a shock to Jin Yong. HSDS has a fair bit of filler, and they reduced the 5 wanderers to 3 (which annoyed me - how hard could it be to find another two supporting actors for another two small roles?) but overall I don't recall going "WHAT?!!!". The bit where Wuji gets fire deviation from the Holy Tablets and Chen Youliang casts his voodoo on the Wudang heroes were annoying and redundant, but they didn't shake the main plot the way the liberties in FF99 and BXJ00 did.
    The 1980s TVB series (particularly DGSD '81) made some drastic changes to the novels as well, but for some reason, Jin Yong didn't mind those...or at least never publicly complained about them.

For years, ROCH '83 was his favorite adaptation of any of his works. It might still be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The 1980s TVB series (particularly DGSD '81) made some drastic changes to the novels as well, but for some reason, Jin Yong didn't mind those...or at least never publicly complained about them.

For years, ROCH '83 was his favorite adaptation of any of his works. It might still be.
    Even when I used to really love watching wuxia, DGSD '81 was somewhat slow and boring to me. It was probably because Duan Yu was the first batter up, and I don't care for him at all.

DGSD '96 was much better, starting off with a heroic XF throwing dragons to destroy an army .

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Even when I used to really love watching wuxia, DGSD '81 was somewhat slow and boring to me. It was probably because Duan Yu was the first batter up, and I don't care for him at all.

DGSD '96 was much better, starting off with a heroic XF throwing dragons to destroy an army .

Also the background music affect was very fascinating.......Something TVB was very good at back than.....But no idea what's going on now with what they're making.....everything seem so dull......

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    It was a pretty impressive opening scene all right. So much better starting off with Qiao Feng than the wuss Duan Yu.
    玉木宏

blog

Off topic.
    Banning TVB from adapting Jin Yong's novels is actually a good thing. At the very least, it force TVB to adapt less popular novels from less popular authors that haven't adapt into TV serials. I think people are sick of watching remakes, at least I am. It's actually a smart to make serials from less popular novels from less popular authors. At least it costs a lot less to pay those less popular authors than Jin Yong.

The reason why Jing Yong banner TVB...should be Charmaine Sheh XDDD She was in the three last TVB remakes of Jing Yong's novels XDDDD

I actually like HSDS2000 and I was with the creation of Joyce Tang's character in Flying Fox by merging 3 characthers together. But still, I agree that Flying Fox and Crimson Sabre was pretty bad...especially Crimson Sabre...I just don't know where did TVB find Sarah Au...She just killed Wen Qing Qing LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tam_Nguyen View Post
    The reason why Jing Yong banner TVB...should be Charmaine Sheh XDDD She was in the three last TVB remakes of Jing Yong's novels XDDDD
    LOL, are you a hater of Charmaine Sheh?
    While I am not a fan of Charmaine, but she is very decent in pretty much all the roles she was in.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    If I recall correctly, Marco Ngai played two characters. One is Qian Long, another is 'Fok Hong On', a bastard prince of Qian Long. It was that 'bastard' raping MRL, not the emperor. Secondly, cat III actor is very misleadingly suggesting Sunny Chan starred in some x-rated movies before!

lol yeah....^^" I'm a Charmaine Sheh haters XD

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    If I recall correctly, Marco Ngai played two characters. One is Qian Long, another is 'Fok Hong On', a bastard prince of Qian Long. It was that 'bastard' raping MRL, not the emperor. Secondly, cat III actor is very misleadingly suggesting Sunny Chan starred in some x-rated movies before!
    Marco Ngai actually played 3 characters. He was Qian Long, Qian Long's brother Chen Jia Luo and Qian Long's son Fu Kang An.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    TVB is absolutely rubbish after the 90s. Not like anyone's missing out on anything if he didn't ban them.
    Totally agree, none of them are impressive and memorable. One producer Lee Tim Shing had produced 7 adaptations : LOCH 1994, ROCH 1995, State of Divinity 1996, DGSD 1997, The Duke of Mount Deer 1998, Flying Fox 1999, Crimson Sabre 2000. That's crazy thing, no wonder the outcome is far from expectation.

Comparing to 1980's adaptation, there're 7 producers to handle 11 titles :
    Siu Sang => DGSD 1982, ROCH 1983
    Wong Tin Lam => LOCH 1983, Flying Fox 1985, HSDS 1986
    Lee Ting Lun => The Smiling Proud Wanderer 1984
    Lee Tim Shing => The Duke of Mount Deer 1984, Book and Sword 1987
    Lee Wai Man => The Sword Stained With Royal Blood 1985
    Yau Ka Hung => Lin Shing Kuet 1989
    Thomas Ng Yuen Chun => Hap Hak Hang 1989