Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Secrets Hidden by Time《被时光掩埋的秘密》

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Hey everyone! ForeverWallace has notified me that she has uploaded the audiobook for Tong Hua's Secrets Hidden by Time on youtube for people who don't know how to read Chinese but understand Mandarin! Here is the link to the audiobook. Thank you, ForeverWallace!

Awesome! This will save me so much time since I have all these term papers I need to write. I'm gonna listen to it in the car...

genna - Whoa! I have seen that Wallace MV so many times, but didn't even know that was Janine Chang! I don't think she's the female dancer in the MV, though. From the MV, Janine looks cute. I wouldn't call her beautiful, but she's definitely cute and youthful-looking. I'm looking forward to seeing if she has chemistry with Wallace in Secrets. I hope we get to see filming clips soon!
    Me too! haha I didn't believe it at first when someone said Janine was in it cause all I ever remember about this MV is Wallace in his room looking sexy and naughty. xD And that live performance you posted is one of my favorites! So drool-worthy!

I've watched quite a few dramas with Janine and she hasn't really impressed me, but it's probably because most of her roles had been pretty dull, except for 'Sunny Happiness'. I definitely prefer her performance there, than say 'The Hospital' or 'Black & White'.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Here is a live performance of the very hot 流向巴黎 MV that genna posted. I think Wallace looks very hot in live performance also.

I remember you posting a video of the interview after that performance on the Wallace thread and the girl said that she had to pry Wallace's legs open to slide between them during the dance. Hahaha, I love it.

Also, thanks for posting the audiobook. It's much fast for me to listen to Chinese rather than read it. I think the audiobook is a cut version because it completely skipped the part where Su Man asked to sit at LLC's table to stalk Song Yi. I will come back to share my thoughts on the book once I finish listening.

Genna,
    I love that music video. He just looks so sexy! *drools* I'm totally looking forward to watching him in tailored suits!
    Currently translating 香蜜沉沉烬如霜 at a very minute pace:
    http://xia0yuer.tumblr.com/

And i assume Wallace is going to be in suits and that sorts in the drama? great, I'm drooling even before the broadcast or trailers.
    This man is a tease! I can't believe he is 37, my hottie uncle. Definitely unhealthy for me, but i can't pull back. < 3

Tong Hua's weibo:
    这几天在看《被时光掩埋的秘密》的剧本,看到第九集了,因为被勾住了,我跑去问老板催第十集。故事是在被时 光掩埋的秘密的基础上,但编剧又赋予了故事新的内容,而且剧本和小说截然不同,剧本没有任何描写,全是动作 和对白,所以,它是似曾相识的全新的东西,即使我,也不禁随着人物的一举一动而揪心。

These days, I've been reading the script for "Secrets Hidden by Time", and am up to Episode 9. I was hooked, so went to urge the boss for Episode 10. The story uses the base of "SHbT", but the screenwriter gave the original new content. The script and original novel are totally different. The script doesn't have any description-it's all action and dialogue. So, it is a familiar yet new thing. Even I, as I read along cannot help but be gripped by the characters' actions.

NB. According to Hunan TV, "Secrets Hidden By Time/被时光掩埋的秘密" is its temporary title.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

Quote Originally Posted by e-bru View Post
    This man is a tease! I can't believe he is 37, my hottie uncle. Definitely unhealthy for me, but i can't pull back. < 3
    Well, looks like actors nowadays have a much longer "shelf life". Look at Nicky Wu and Kevin Cheng who got career boosts in their early 40s. Andy Lau and Tony Leung who are pushing 50 are still getting roles than romantic leads, LOL.
    I ship Shi-Harem

Quote Originally Posted by H.Ge-C.Liu View Post
    Tong Hua's weibo:
    这几天在看《被时光掩埋的秘密》的剧本,看到第九集了,因为被勾住了,我跑去问老板催第十集。故事是在被时 光掩埋的秘密的基础上,但编剧又赋予了故事新的内容,而且剧本和小说截然不同,剧本没有任何描写,全是动作 和对白,所以,它是似曾相识的全新的东西,即使我,也不禁随着人物的一举一动而揪心。

These days, I've been reading the script for "Secrets Hidden by Time", and am up to Episode 9. I was hooked, so went to urge the boss for Episode 10. The story uses the base of "SHbT", but the screenwriter gave the original new content. The script and original novel are totally different. The script doesn't have any description-it's all action and dialogue. So, it is a familiar yet new thing. Even I, as I read along cannot help but be gripped by the characters' actions.

NB. According to Hunan TV, "Secrets Hidden By Time/被时光掩埋的秘密" is its temporary title.
    After hearing this, I am RELIEVED. I just finished the novel via audiobook and I am very upset, beyond upset, I'm furious!

BOOK SPOILERS AHEAD!

The ending was just terrible, not in a 'wow, I just wasted four hours of my life' way but rather a 'I want to throttle the author' kind of way. I think Tong Hua has a mean sadistic streak in her because all her incredible leading men have dreadful endings - Eighth Prince in BBJX, Meng Jiu in DMY, Liu Fu Ling and Meng Jue in YZG, and now even the delightful, caring Lu Li Cheng!

Here's a summary of what happened in the book (with lots of spoilers!):
    Su Man get's set up on a matchmaking session by her mom. She goes looking like a druggie (at least that's the impression I got) but then realizes that the person she was set up with is actually her college crush, Song Yi. She decides that she doesn't want to let another chance to pursue her happiness fly away, so she and her best friend, Ma La Tang, forge her resume and she applies for a job at MG, the company that Song Yi works at. She gets the job and meets Lu Li Cheng, who knows her background because she had to beg to sit at his table when she was stalking Song Yi and when she realized that she didn't have any money on her, he paid for her coffee and cab fare. She asked Lu Li Cheng to pretend that they didn't know each other and he agrees. She begins to IM Song Yi, who is rarely on MSN, in the guise of an younger college classmate. She didn't tell him that she was actually Su Man. Su Man gets reallocated into Song Yi's department and they become good friends. Su Man tells Song Yi everything, including how she lied her way into MG just to get close to him, but he isn't upset at all and they start a relationship. Su Man goes to New York for a business trip for a month and during Christmas, Song Yi flies to NY to surprise her with roses and chocolates. (This scene is actually incredibly cute because he asks her what she wanted, but he had already guessed what her answer would be and had everything prepared beforehand.)

However, when she returns to Beijing, she agrees to meet with Ma La Tang and her new boyfriend, who shockingly is the two-timing Song Yi. Su Man is very upset but she doesn't want to break Ma La Tang's heart, she thinks that she would prefer that at least one of them is happy, rather than see both of them brokenhearted. Just then Lu Li Cheng appears and comforts her (he already knows about the two timing Song Yi). Ma La Tang sees that Su Man's face is tear streaked and guesses that Song Yi is the person that Su Man has been pining for all these years. Of course, Su Man says no, and Lu Li Cheng corroborates her story by acting as her boyfriend. They finish a very awkward dinner. Later, she finds out that Ma La Tang is actually the daughter of a very important government official. Apparently, Song Yi had helped Ma La Tang when she was waiting for a kidney transplant and she had been looking for him for six years.

During New Years, Su Man's parents go travel abroad and Ma La Tang and Song Yi invite her to go on vacation with them. She refuses and Ma La Tang demands to know why. She tells them that she is going to the countryside to visit Lu Li Cheng's family. Her visit is cut short because Lu Li Cheng finds out that Su Man's parents got into a car accident. Her mother dies right away but her father hangs on by a thread, and also dies later. While Su Man was mourning, she hears from Song Yi that Ma La Tang found a photo album of him and her half-sister, whom she hated. She also find out that the kidney that saved her those years ago came from her deceased half-sister, who's car accident was caused by Song Yi. Song Yi had been dating Ma La Tang because she was a spitting image of her half-sister. Upset by everything, she falls ill and her body begins to reject the kidney. Ma La Tang's father begs Su Man to help her daughter, he has already lost one and cannot bear to lose the other. He also gives her his other daughter's diary, in which she recorded how she bullied Ma La Tang when they were younger. Su Man spends the night reading the diary aloud to Ma La Tang, who gradually recovers.

Su Man decides that she has had enough sadness and wants to take control of her own life. She leaves both Song Yi and Lu Li Cheng, who has been there for her during all her trials and tribulations. Two years later, when Lu Li Cheng visits his family again, he finds out that she had actually been hiding in the countryside, teaching English to the children there. He rushes off to go find her and tell her the feelings that he had been hiding in his heart all this time. However, when he finally sees her, she was holding hands and talking cheerfully with Song Yi. Heartbroken, he returns without even saying anything to her. He receives her and Song Yi's wedding invitation, which he informs his secretary to toss away. Later, he sees her and Song Yi's photo in the trash can, he pulls it out, tears it in half and only keeps Su Man's half, burying his feelings for her deep in his heart.

Thoughts of Mine:
    After I finished the book, I was incredulous that Tong Hua would actually let Su Man go back to that two-timing jerk Song Yi, especially when Lu Li Cheng was obviously a much better choice. All her other heroines are very forward thinking and independent, but Su Man just rubs me the wrong way. She's too desperate. Who in their right mind would throw away everything to pursue a man that she's never even talked to before? Who in their right mind would even love someone they haven't talk to for ten years? Also, she should have exposed Song Yi right away and save both her and Ma La Tang some unnecessary heartbreak. Even if Song Yi had told her about his previous relationship with Ma La Tang's half-sister, Su Man should have know that no good would have come out of Song Yi just using Ma La Tang as a replacement and once a cheater/liar, always a cheater/liar. There are plenty more fish in the sea. Just trash him and find a better man, I say. I thought that maybe she finally grew a backbone when she left Song Yi and Lu Li Cheng to seek out her own life, but then what happens? She accepts him back and actually gets married to that undeserving Wang Ba!!!!

My poor Lu Li Cheng...

Okay, I'll stop ranting. I've got to say, I enjoyed the story, and even though Secrets was not nearly as epic as BBJX, DMY or YZG, Tong Hua is a very talented writer. I will share some of my favorite scenes with you:

Su Man asks Lu Li Cheng to pretend not to know her. He agrees but then tells her that if she works overtime she can get her travel fees reimbursed. She turns around to thank him but then realizes that they were supposed to act as strangers.

Su Man is waiting for a taxi and Lu Li Cheng pulls up next to her and asks if she wants a ride. She says no, but he didn't leave, ignoring the honking cars behind him. Embarrassed, she jumps into his car.

Apparently Su Man and Lu Li Cheng got caught in a compromising situation so there are rumors flying around the office about them. Lu Li Cheng says that it isn't a big deal, let them gossip. Su Man retorts that it's okay because he is a guy, so he just gets one more conquest added to his list but she, a girl, gets shamed in front of everyone. She also says that it's a good thing that her boyfriend didn't hear about this. Lu Li Cheng says that if she had to explain such a thing to her boyfriend, he obviously doesn't know her well enough and that she should dump him right away.

Lu Li Cheng pretends to be Su Man's boyfriend after she first finds out about Song Yi's betrayal.

When Su Man meets Lu Li Cheng's nephew, who calls her auntie, even though she is only seven years older than him. She complains to Lu Li Cheng that she actually considers herself in the same generation as his nephew.

END SPOILERS

Has anyone else finished the book? The audiobook version cut out quite a few scenes and I'm sure there are more cute Lu Li Cheng and Su Man moments. I really hope that they will change the story, especially the ending!!!! for the drama adaptation. Wallace can definitely bring life to Lu Li Cheng, especially after watching his brilliant performance as A'Chu and A'Ci in Yi Chu Ji Fa. I also like Ma La Tang and I think the actress who will portray her is gorgeous. Maybe the scriptwriters have Ma La Tang ditch that beastly Song Yi and run off with the fabulous Lu Li Cheng.
    Last edited by xia0yuer; 04-17-12 at 12:02 AM.

Got so excited when I heard about this through Sina twitter. Seriously, Wallace + Tong Hua novel- my two favourite things in the world combined? This will go some way to repair the disappointment I felt in Wallace not being part of BBJX.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

I was sort of interested until I read Koala's review.....and boy was I disappointed. What I hate most in the world are two-timing jerks and weak women who always go back to these jerks, and both are present in the story. This is gonna be a pass unless the ending is completely different from the novel's ending.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Well, looks like actors nowadays have a much longer "shelf life". Look at Nicky Wu and Kevin Cheng who got career boosts in their early 40s. Andy Lau and Tony Leung who are pushing 50 are still getting roles than romantic leads, LOL.
    That is true to some, but for most actors you could actually tell by the end of a drama, or perhaps it's only me haha XD Nevertheless, Wallace really got me like how Jimmy Lin got me with My Lucky Star. Didn't know their actual age until i actually googled them up, the shook is kind of hard to by pass haha, and so is the addiction.

thanks for the spoiler xia0yuer! I really hope they change the ending to a better one -.-

...seriously? that's the novel? there's not even any actual real romantic relationship b/w the perceived male/female leads? WHATTTT. i'm sure (or at least i really hope!) they'll change it for the tv series though; it's wallace! he has to have good romantic scenes where he absolutely melts your heart! and a change in ending would probably make everyone happier

There are 'romantic' scenes- I guess it just depends on what your definition of them are. Mostly one-sided, with Wallace's character silently loving and helping and supporting the female lead. I have a feeling though that they are going to change the novel considerably, especially the ending.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

More fan-made posters.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4167/9148681546269073middle.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5994/915162229392201middle.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2313/9153829562645290middle.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4714/9151014721794701middle.jpg')

Wallace looks so swoon-worthy in the last one.

Fan-made MV, Wallace as LLC and Janine as SM

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzgwNzkzMDYw.html

Wallace's scenes from Shang Hai Wang were used, but I don't really like his wormy little mustache. Otherwise, very nicely made.

Thanks for the summary of the audiobook, xia0yuer. Well, I'm not even going to bother listening to the audiobook then. The plot sounds cliched and stupid with an outrageously frustrating ending. Pardon me for my rudeness these days. I have never read any of Tong Hua's novels, but I keep hearing very positive, rave reviews of her works. I sure hope Secrets Hidden By Time is not representative of her "brilliance" or else I seriously question the taste of her readers. The plot is pretty ordinary but acceptable. What is unacceptable is how a weak, cheating jerk like Song Yi could end up with a happily-ever-after ending while a prince charming like Lu Li Cheng ends up with a torn photo of the woman he loves. Aside from the disastrous and extremely unsatisfactory ending, Tong Hua's heroine, Su Man, sounds like a boring, limp dishrag. Perhaps the boring dishrag and the weak jerk deserve each other and Lu Li Cheng narrowly escapes a life of monotony and boredom without even realizing his good fortune.

I sure hope the scriptwriters will be changing the plot and the characterization of Su Man drastically. Lu Li Cheng sounds like a gem already, so there is probably no need to alter his character.

By the way, I LOVE the posters of Wallace and Janine, especially the first one! Wallace looks so suave in that one. I like the one with the car, also, but I wish the car is a porsche convertible.

I wonder if they are going to dubb his voice O.o or all of the other casts voice

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I wonder if they are going to dubb his voice O.o or all of the other casts voice
    Modern dramas usually aren't dubbed.

Official costume and still for Su Man:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/6f7c4761tw1dsf7qbnfo6j.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/489e78ddjw1dsegkp3h6bj.jpg')

I'm not a fan of her first costume. What's with the loose, droopy pants? It looks like it belongs on some pirate rather than a modern businesswoman...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/489e78ddjw1dsegkp3h6bj.jpg')
    Is there a dog in the story? Or did Janine bring her dog on set?

Here's a still for Ma La Tang. Gorgeous!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://photocdn.sohu.com/20120423/Img341345027.jpg')

Am I being weird or does Janine resemble Shi Shi a bit in some angles? lol