Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cuo Dan Yuan Yang 《错点鸳鸯》

I'm only on the 2nd episode but I'm enjoying it so far

Like other's have mentioned, the pacing is good and the humor mixed in with the drama is excellent. I especially like their take on certain things, like this one scene where the bad guy is secretly tailing the good guy and he ends up getting rid of him, but then we find out it was because the good guy was really lost and didn't do it on purpose!

Also, while they don't look that much alike, does anyone else thing Zhao Li Ying's character with the ancient dress looks a bit like Jang Nara in My Bratty Princess?

Edit: I'm nearing the end of the first set and the script writer is really bugging me. For example, Su Huan Er seems to be getting more stupid by the episode She was so smart and feisty before so what happened? It annoys me the writer just changed her personality so they could fit the plot.

Also, I notice either the editing the directing is a bit sloppy towards the end. There were several scenes where they all of a sudden go somewhere else and it was only explained later what happened. Not sure if they were doing it for effect or what.

Overall it's not bad, but those last few episodes really hurt the overall story a bit. So hopefully the next set will be more consistent throughout.
    Last edited by j2j2j2; 10-06-12 at 02:37 PM.

When is the second part (eps 26-50) going to be released? Also, anyone know what the broadcasting schedule is for this series? thanks

super exciting...part II is now on Youtube.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

this cute series has no english sub? not even from Viki? =(

I'm in love with this serie. it's so cute, funny, and very different from the usual tragedies and palace dramas that seem to be the trend for these few years.

however, does anyone know where to get the OST for both parts? i can't find it anywhere online and i can't read chinese. lol.

Thank you for much helping/sharing with us non-native speakers.
    "The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation form the self." - Albert Einstein

Currently Writing: Lotus in the Wind
    Dragon, Phoenix, and Flower

I wish Shi Wu Ji didn't come off as so misogynistic, it would make me enjoy the couple more. I admit I do enjoy their moments when Shi Wu Ji doesn't make me go "ugh" though.

I didn't really care for Han Dong in BBJX/whatever else I've watched him in so far, but I really like him in the show.

EDIT:
    I'm on EP9 now and Shi Wu Ji seems to have changed? lol
    Last edited by ice_mountain23; 11-04-12 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_mountain23 View Post
    I wish Shi Wu Ji didn't come off as so misogynistic, it would make me enjoy the couple more. I admit I do enjoy their moments when Shi Wu Ji doesn't make me go "ugh" though.

I didn't really care for Han Dong in BBJX/whatever else I've watched him in so far, but I really like him in the show.

EDIT:
    I'm on EP9 now and Shi Wu Ji seems to have changed? lol
    misogynistic? lol. i don't think he give me that impression. even though i watched the drama without knowing Chinese at all. from my perspective, his actions and attitude were influenced by his anger and hatred toward her family. since she is from that family, it's not surprisingly that he'll treat her that way. also, due to his position and responsibility in his family and his business, he is obligated to do what he deemed as right and important. in this case, he cannot show any sign of weakness and/or favor towards anyone, especially to her since her father wronged his family. plus, i believe his character suppose to come out as cold and stoic, as in the book.
    "The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation form the self." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2 View Post
    Also, while they don't look that much alike, does anyone else thing Zhao Li Ying's character with the ancient dress looks a bit like Jang Nara in My Bratty Princess?

Edit: I'm nearing the end of the first set and the script writer is really bugging me. For example, Su Huan Er seems to be getting more stupid by the episode She was so smart and feisty before so what happened? It annoys me the writer just changed her personality so they could fit the plot.

Also, I notice either the editing the directing is a bit sloppy towards the end. There were several scenes where they all of a sudden go somewhere else and it was only explained later what happened. Not sure if they were doing it for effect or what.

Overall it's not bad, but those last few episodes really hurt the overall story a bit. So hopefully the next set will be more consistent throughout.
    I also thought ZLY looked like Jang Nara. As you see her more, I don't think this is so. ZLY looks slightly taller. When she is serious, she has a grace and poise that I didn't see in Jang Nara.

It did seem Huan Er's character was made to 'fit' the plot at the end. I understand her being manipulated by her father. He really is quite crafty in playing with people's emotional weakenesses. I don't get how she didn't find it odd/wrong at the point when she is alone, trying to steal the her husband's seal. With no influence from her father, surely one's sense of right and wrong should start ringing bells.

What followed after the seemingly betrayal was very well played out though. I do wonder if the same results could've been achieved without Huan Er having to steal the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaoqain14 View Post
    ...from my perspective, his actions and attitude were influenced by his anger and hatred toward her family. since she is from that family...
    Yeah, that's what I got as well (and I can understand Chinese lol). He was mainly treating her badly because he got the impression that she was in cahoots with her dad into tricking him, because early on they hear from the doctor that was undercover that he married the wrong person.

So it wasn't until he found out that she was a good person that he changed.

Quote Originally Posted by NuDaFu View Post
    I also thought ZLY looked like Jang Nara. As you see her more, I don't think this is so. ZLY looks slightly taller. When she is serious, she has a grace and poise that I didn't see in Jang Nara.

It did seem Huan Er's character was made to 'fit' the plot at the end. I understand her being manipulated by her father. He really is quite crafty in playing with people's emotional weakenesses. I don't get how she didn't find it odd/wrong at the point when she is alone, trying to steal the her husband's seal. With no influence from her father, surely one's sense of right and wrong should start ringing bells.

What followed after the seemingly betrayal was very well played out though. I do wonder if the same results could've been achieved without Huan Er having to steal the seal.
    Yeah, I agree. In the serious scenes they were quite different.

I guess I can understand why she did it because growing up her dad was pretty abusive and just completely ignored her. So she would go to extremes to get his approval and attention---even so far as to marry someone else in place of her sister. So it does make sense now that I think of it, but while I was watching I was fuming.

I do have to say, the chemistry between ZLY and Qi Ji was intense! Oh... and what's up with all the kissing?? Is this a new trend in ancient dramas
    Last edited by j2j2j2; 11-06-12 at 08:52 AM.

she stole her husband seal? when? I must have missed something, lol. can someone tell me what episode and why she did it? However, I'm pretty sure that she has a good sense of what's right and wrong. However, I think it's a sense of loyalty to one's blood that has more influence to her. after all, he IS her father. (plus, he's a great manipulator and it's not above him to use his relation with her to achieve his means)

also, i don't think she looks like jang nara at all. plus, like you said, i feel more grace and poise than jang nara, though i love her in My Bratty Princess.

are we talking about the scene where he pretended to die? because I fumed at those scenes. I felt horrible for her and was so angry at Wu Ji. but then again, i know that he was only doing what was right. However, why did he divorced her in the prison? was it to protect her?

I understand the part when he asked her to pick between him and her father after his "coming back to life." hence he divorced her there, but not during the prison scene.

Yeah, that's what I got as well (and I can understand Chinese lol). He was mainly treating her badly because he got the impression that she was in cahoots with her dad into tricking him, because early on they hear from the doctor that was undercover that he married the wrong person.

So it wasn't until he found out that she was a good person that he changed.
    ^_^ well said. I knew that he realized that he had married the wrong woman from the beginning. lol. the first time i watched it, i though he only knew the truth the episode before they remarried. but i always suspected that he already knew from the truth from that undercover guy (forgot his name, lol). thank you for pointing that out.

no wonder he wasn't surprise when she was screaming Huan Er's name at the cliff and was thinking of jumping too.

Yeah, I agree. In the serious scenes they were quite different.

I guess I can understand why she did it because growing up her dad was pretty abusive and just completely ignored her. So she would go to extremes to get his approval and attention---even so far as to marry someone else in place of her sister. So it does make sense now that I think of it, but while I was watching I was fuming.

I do have to say, the chemistry between ZLY and Qi Ji was intense! Oh... and what's up with all the kissing?? Is this a new trend in ancient dramas
    i agree with you about her doing her father's deed because she wanted his approval and attention. but didn't they already shared a good relationship from the beginning? i though that her father was the only family member who wasn't abusive towards her besides that other lady she is with. i also had the impression that he was caring towards her to.

now, as for the chemistry between ZLY and Qi Ji, i thought they were intense too. in a lot of wuxia, especially in anicent ones, there were not much screen time or devlopment after marriage. but this is the first drama where there were so much intimate scenes between husband and wife. I love all those moments when he would sit her on his lap and talk to her. then there were those scenes where she was in trouble and yet couldn't bring himself to stay mad at his wife. namely that scene in ep 1 of part II, after he and his bros rescued her from human traffickers, where she had to answer to him in their room. Then that look on his face after she sweet talk him into forgiving her. it was so CUTE!!! she had him wrapped around her fingers. lol.

I'm glad about the kissing scenes i here. shows a little more intimacy between the couple. lol.
    Last edited by Xiaoqain14; 11-06-12 at 12:39 PM.

she stole her husband seal? when? I must have missed something, lol. can someone tell me what episode and why she did it?
    I don't remember which episode it was but she was tricked into doing it. If I remember correctly, her dad said he wanted to help them out and transfer some land/money to them but needed the seal to do so (or something like that. Essentially he said he wanted to help them out and needed it).

So she just kinda fell for it which annoyed me because she was so smart before! But I guess those closest to us can trick us the easiest...

i agree with you about her doing her father's deed because she wanted his approval and attention. but didn't they already shared a good relationship from the beginning? i though that her father was the only family member who wasn't abusive towards her besides that other lady she is with. i also had the impression that he was caring towards her to.
    Well at least from what I remember seeing, the relationship was more distant. I mean, it's true that he wasn't abusive to her, but at the same time he didn't dote on her like he did his other kids. Of course, since he loved himself more than anyone, I guess that's just how it is.

I also didn't really seeing any caring moments between them. More like, when he wanted to use her, he would act caring, so I guess perhaps from her perspective that's what she though. Because one of the big reason's she agreed to marry Wuji was to get her father's approval.

Oh, also one thing was that her dad kept saying it was her mom that ran off on them and dumping her on him. So she also felt like she owed him and needed to make up for what her mom did (of course we find out that it was the dad who basically forced her mom to marry him so she left when she could but was unable to take her.)

in a lot of wuxia, especially in anicent ones, there were not much screen time or devlopment after marriage. but this is the first drama where there were so much intimate scenes between husband and wife. I love all those moments when he would sit her on his lap and talk to her. then there were those scenes where she was in trouble and yet couldn't bring himself to stay mad at his wife...
    Totally agree That definitely made the series for me! And I'm so glad this introduced me to Qi Ji (Shi Wu Ji) and ZLY as well. Actually the other 2 brothers were really nice too I look forward to their future works.

I don't remember which episode it was but she was tricked into doing it. If I remember correctly, her dad said he wanted to help them out and transfer some land/money to them but needed the seal to do so (or something like that. Essentially he said he wanted to help them out and needed it).

So she just kinda fell for it which annoyed me because she was so smart before! But I guess those closest to us can trick us the easiest...
    I see, so it was all a trick by her father. Well, i guess at this point, she is now also loyal to her husband, so her father manipulated her again. like you said, "those closest to us can trick us the easiest." people have a tendency to trust people they are more closer to then that of outsider, not that she isn't close to her husband. lol. but i guess it was kinna dumb of her to not use her sense of judgement.

Well at least from what I remember seeing, the relationship was more distant. I mean, it's true that he wasn't abusive to her, but at the same time he didn't dote on her like he did his other kids. Of course, since he loved himself more than anyone, I guess that's just how it is.

I also didn't really seeing any caring moments between them. More like, when he wanted to use her, he would act caring, so I guess perhaps from her perspective that's what she though. Because one of the big reason's she agreed to marry Wuji was to get her father's approval.

Oh, also one thing was that her dad kept saying it was her mom that ran off on them and dumping her on him. So she also felt like she owed him and needed to make up for what her mom did (of course we find out that it was the dad who basically forced her mom to marry him so she left when she could but was unable to take her.)
    ahh, so that woman wasn't her mom? and also, if her father married her mom, how come she was treated as illegitimate? even if her mom ran away, wouldn't that have nothing to do with the legitimacy since there is already a marriage? i had the impression that everyone was treating her abusively cause she was a "bastard daughter."

as for the relationship with the dad, you're right, he's definitely a narcissist.

Totally agree That definitely made the series for me! And I'm so glad this introduced me to Qi Ji (Shi Wu Ji) and ZLY as well. Actually the other 2 brothers were really nice too I look forward to their future works.
    lol, me too. they really did a good job. what i want right now is for ZLY to pair up with Qi Ji again (though the possibility is slim cause mainland don't recycle couples, lol). however, this drama really hits one of my top favs because of them. i really like the balance between the romance, revenge, and plot in here. plus, i don't have to cry a river in here like in other dramas where the trend seem to be tragic. lol

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2
    So she would go to extremes to get his approval and attention---even so far as to marry someone else in place of her sister.
    Huan Er didn't marry for her father's approval. She actually refused at first. I thought that showed spine and boundaries. The father pretended to be assaulted by Wu Ji (by hitting himself), convincing Huan Er that if she didn't marry, her father and the rest of the family would 'pay' for the mess. The father manipulated Huan Er's nature to save and protect her family rather than devotion to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaoqain14
    she stole her husband seal? when?
    Episode 17. About half way through the episode.

Her father's reasons for having the seal were pretty convincing at the moment. He claimed to want to correct his past mistakes, and pass all his inheritance to Wu Ji's name. I think he wanted Huan Er to get the seal so he could stamp all his property with Wu Ji's seal to demonstrate his faith?

At this point - if Huan Er had the presence of mind to do so - I would ask why not openly suggesting such a good deed to Wu Ji. Why the need to stamp the seal on his property? Alas, logic can sometimes be confused in family dynamics.

Huan Er can be understood to bow down to fatherly influence. But only in his presence. I still believe it became Huan Er's responsibility when she went ahead with the act of stealing the seal while nobody was there to influence her. Huan Er cannot be excused for what she did regardless of influence at that point. The admirable thing is that Huan Er owned up to the mistake and took measures to correct it - making for better character development than having a nauseously perfect heroine .

However, why did he divorced her in the prison?
    To protect her from a death sentence. The crime that was charged against Wu Ji (inadvertenly caused by Huan Er) is a national offense (i.e. selling poisonous wine to troops, printing fake money). Some national offenses risk execution of all related family. By divorcing Huan Er, Wu Ji in his own way, was protecting her. Or, he thought that the act could distance her from the tragedy of his execution - this is how Wu Hun explains it to her.

but i always suspected that he already knew from the truth from that undercover guy
    Wu Ji and Wu Hun guessed the truth before Leng Gang told them. It was meant to be funny when just after Wu Ji works it out, Leng Gang rushes in and announces the 'truth'. To add to the fun, this is right after Huan Er says Leng Gang MUST NOT tell the truth, or she and her family would surely die from the lie .

it's true that he wasn't abusive to her, but at the same time he didn't dote on her like he did his other kids.
    The father condoning the abuse towards Huan Er is abusive in itself. As head of the family, he had the power to stop such acts. The fact that he doesn't makes him party to the crime or plain sadistic.

I think Wu Ji is right to conlcude that the father wasn't involved in teaching (doting?) Huan Er anything, so she couldn't learn his behaviour from him.

Huan Er's problem was that she mistook manipulation for caring. She wanted external validation from a man who plainly couldn't give it. In the scene after Wu Ji is sent to prison, Huan Er faces her father over the whole mess of things. She wakes up to the reality of how far her father has used her, and by association, how she herself with her false belief has hurt those around her as a result. Very well performed scene by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xianqain14
    if her father married her mom, how come she was treated as illegitimate? even if her mom ran away, wouldn't that have nothing to do with the legitimacy since there is already a marriage?
    There was never a firm mention that Huan Er's biological mother married her father. It was implied by the father that the mother was "his woman". The circumstances doesn't suggest a formal marriage. Mrs Jin (Huan Er's mother) was already betrothed. The father apparently tricked/kidnapped the mother, raped her, and Huan Er was the result. The mother was basically a victim. She fought to be set free, and did so after Huan Er was born. Mrs Jin said at that point she was too focused with escaping to feel responsible for Huan Er. So by all accounts, Huan Er is illegitimate.

The family abuses Huan Er because the father allows it. He permits others to take out his frustrations on the daughter of the woman who left him. This behaviour is sickening, but cheers to Huan Er who managed to maintain a just view of life despite these circumstances.

I loved the scene when Wu Ji stalks towards the father to tell him off for upsetting Huan Er. About time the father is shown how to properly treat a woman! Even though I think Huan Er is capable of managing her own affairs, it is plesant to see someone be her hero for a change.

The scene right before the above is also visually beautiful too. The one where Huan Er is reclining on the day bed. Looks like a scene right out of a painting.

Has anyone got into the 2nd series? ZLY does a particularly good performance as a young scholar. She looks uber cute cross-dressing.
    Last edited by NuDaFu; 11-11-12 at 12:56 AM.

Huan Er didn't marry for her father's approval. She actually refused at first. I thought that showed spine and boundaries. The father pretended to be assaulted by Wu Ji (by hitting himself), convincing Huan Er that if she didn't marry, her father and the rest of the family would 'pay' for the mess. The father manipulated Huan Er's nature to save and protect her family rather than devotion to him.
    Ah, right, thanks for clearing that up

Has anyone got into the 2nd series? ZLY does a particularly good performance as a young scholar. She looks uber cute cross-dressing.
    Totally agree! Of course it's hard to believe anyone would think she looks like a guy heehee. Also, I loved her reaction when seeing the 2nd brother and Liang Yu Shi making out, thinking they were gay. That's definitely a first in ancient dramas I've seen!

Also, I felt the 3rd brother's storyline was the worst. I really disliked that girl as she felt way too weak.

In fact, I was more interested in Murong Fu's story as he seemed quite complex and his girl (forgot her name) also was really kick-***.

Oh, and one thing that bugged me was, what happened to their sister? Can't believe she missing the entire second half.
    Last edited by j2j2j2; 11-14-12 at 09:11 AM.

NuDaFu, Thank you for clearing alot of things up for me. I really love this drama, and since i don't understand chinese, you really helped out A LOT!!! I now understand character's dynamic and background, which proves a big help in understand the plot itself.

The scene right before the above is also visually beautiful too. The one where Huan Er is reclining on the day bed. Looks like a scene right out of a painting.
    I agree with you. There were alot of scenes similar to that where i though the same thing. but if you please, which episode was the one where Wu Ji told her father off for upsetting her?

I cannot find the raws or site to watch it. I really do want to see it. If you can supply the link, that would be great. I've been searching for it for a while now, but still can't find it.

Totally agree! Of course it's hard to believe anyone would think she looks like a guy heehee. Also, I loved her reaction when seeing the 2nd brother and Liang Yu Shi making out, thinking they were gay. That's definitely a first in ancient dramas I've seen!

Also, I felt the 3rd brother's storyline was the worst. I really disliked that girl as she felt way too weak.

In fact, I was more interested in Murong Fu's story as he seemed quite complex and his girl (forgot her name) also was really kick-***.

Oh, and one thing that bugged me was, what happened to their sister? Can't believe she missing the entire second half.
    haha, now you make me want to see it too. I'm still shipping ZLY and Qi Ji, so I'm not sure if I like seeing her with a different guy, but I'm very curious about this new couple too, lol.

anyone have the link to watch it?

which episode was the one where Wu Ji told her father off for upsetting her?
    About 13mins into episode 17.

Another great example of Wu ji protecting Huan Er was when he told Ma Xian Mei off for offending his WIFE.

Yelu Hao and Ma Xian Mei both implicated that sexual favours could be used to 'buy' the borderline officials. Yelu Hao raved on that Ma Xian Mei was the only woman desirable enough to sucessfully complete such a mission. I get they were trying to make fun of Huan Er's naivety and put her down in comparisan to Ma Xian Mei's appeal. It was a strange way to go about it though, as admitting such 'talents' doesn't put one in a good light among respectable society. Considering Huan Er would be more respectable than Ma Xian Mei could ever be, I don't get how the put down could in anyway be construed as effective.

Anyway, Wu Ji's announcement was memorable:

"I do not wish such dirty words to soil the ears of my wife".

More swoon-worthy in Chinese . The words convey a sense of that primal, macho male protecting his own. A meaningful moment for Huan Er, considering the "slings and arrows" she had to suffer in her past.

I cannot find the raws or site to watch it. I really do want to see it. If you can supply the link, that would be great. I've been searching for it for a while now, but still can't find it.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7111AB89D9D40F8B

SherylnS92 has uploaded part I and II. Part II is called 'Dao Jian Lei' (Tears of Sabre and Sword). Had to use that title in Chinese to search in youtube .

Leng Gend decided to be a barefoot doctor (aka travelling doctor). He took Wu Shuang and his mother in-law with him. I guess this is a production decision to leave more screen time for the brothers' love interests. Also economical for the payroll .

I was more annoyed about the maid, Xiao Yi, being left out. I really liked Xiao Yi; she was funny and spunky.

Xiao Yi: "My lady, things are heading south, lets steal some ledgers and split!"

My words, but I got that message from her wording . There were grounds for Xiao Yi to stay i.e. she understood her mistress, she represented a part of Huan Er's past/family, she had the nerve to be totally frank. Huan Er mentions in part II that Xiao Yi stayed behind to take care of the royal prince (as if he didn't have his own servants). This is such a flimsy and illogical excuse. Might as well say a giant rat ate her on their way back to Ao Long Bao.

There was a really sweet moment between the two girls when they shared the Chinese New Year dinner together near the end. It was smart exposition to reflect that barely 1 year had past, also, sad that Huan Er and Wu Ji couldn't spend their first Chinese New Year dinner together after their marriage. Xiao Yi having to 'steal' the wine for the table made the moment feel like 'good old times' when both the girls were still maid class, and had to make do with what they had. A far cry for Huan Er, who had recently been the mistress of a castle state.

I was more annoyed about the maid, Xiao Yi, being left out. I really liked Xiao Yi; she was funny and spunky.
    Heehee, good point! Yeah, I really liked her too and loved how she was so loyal to Huan Er even though she was technically sent there by her dad.

Yeah, the continuity of the series just felt really off. I wonder how it was filmed and if they had the same writer for both.

Most of the cast isn't that well known right? I guess they weren't sure how popular it would be so they had to save money where they good.

Hopefully the ratings were decent, because this was definitely one of the surprise hits of the year for me and when it comes out on DVD I'll buy it for sure.

The second brother was quite smart and sneaky , especially when he teased liang yushi, the character had a little bit chu liuxiang's vibe, minus when he lost his temper, since i haven't yet seen chu liuxiang lost his temper in series , but i'm still confuse,
    click to show/hide spoilers
    who is the criminal who burn shi family house besides shu huan er 's father? Is it the official who frame liang yu shi's father?

I have finished watching this drama and really enjoyed it! I think the chemistry between Zhao Li Ying and Qi Ji is great! Speaking of Zhao Li Ying, I can't wait to watch "Female Prime Minister" too but not sure when will it air, quite a long wait!

Just started watching this series but I love it so far... Im loving Zhao Li Ying in this!!