Thread: Au Yeung Fung: is he more dangerous when sane, or insane?

Default Au Yeung Fung: is he more dangerous when sane, or insane?

In your opinion, was West Poison Au Yeung Fung more dangerous as an evil and ambitious, but basically sane martial artist as he was for most of LOCH, or was he more dangerous as an utterly insane and unpredictable martial artist, as he was at the end of LOCH and during his appearances in ROCH?

he was more dangerous sane since he can scheme and torment people more easier but if he didnt meet yang guo as a kid, i think he could've been even more deadlier.it would've been easy if golden wheel monk or something found him and used him as weapon or something.

didn't he kill xiao long nu grand master or something like in one hit?

glad your trying to keep these boards alive ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mido-Ban View Post
    he was more dangerous sane since he can scheme and torment people more easier
    The flip side of that, however, was that when he was sane, he was also more predictable. Wong Yung understood his habits and tendencies during LOCH, and was able to use them against him.

A crazy Au Yeung Fung would be much more difficult for Wong Yung to predict and manipulate because she would have no idea how he would respond to her manipulation. No matter how clever she is, as a sane person, she can't anticipate the actions of an insane person.

but if he didnt meet yang guo as a kid, i think he could've been even more deadlier.it would've been easy if golden wheel monk or something found him and used him as weapon or something.
    Perhaps, but Au Yeung Fung would be more interested in testing his skills against the Golden Wheel Monk's.

I'd *loved* to have seen that fight. Au Yeung Fung would win, of course.

didn't he kill xiao long nu grand master or something like in one hit?
    I think it was a prolonged struggle (against Little Dragon Girl's teacher, not Lam Chiu Ying), but he did ultimately win.

glad your trying to keep these boards alive ken.
    It takes more than a one-man effort, though...

A rational OYF would be much harder to deal with. He hasn't used his poison once when he lost his mind. Has no real evil motive except to know who he is. Don't think he's killed a single person either.

When he was insane, Huang Rong tricked him too. It's like tricking a little kid. However when he was sane, his motives are more lethal.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

Dun remember HR meeting OYF in ROCH? when did this happen?
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972 View Post
    Dun remember HR meeting OYF in ROCH? when did this happen?
    Only very briefly near the beginning of the story, on the night of the same day that the Gwok couple first encountered young Yeung Gor.

I sorta want jy to make oyf live longer or become final villain. Sorta hated how there was no major villain after post 16 years. Either that revise it so gwm dont lose fast.

Like the richie ren version, they made oyf n hqg pass away close to end, with epic battle.

Either that ending of rotch, they shudda fight in the mt hua tournament, even let shaolin monk that learn the 9 yang fight or sumthing.

I sorta want jy to make oyf live longer or become final villain. Sorta hated how there was no major villain after post 16 years. Either that revise it so gwm dont lose fast.
    After the sixteen years, ROCH was *almost* over. It didn't matter at that point if the villain were the Golden Wheel Monk, Au Yeung Fung, or the JANITOR MONK. The story needed to end, so the villain was going to need to go down fast so that Jin Yong could move the ROCH characters off stage and bring the HSDS characters on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    After the sixteen years, ROCH was *almost* over. It didn't matter at that point if the villain were the Golden Wheel Monk, Au Yeung Fung, or the JANITOR MONK. The story needed to end, so the villain was going to need to go down fast so that Jin Yong could move the ROCH characters off stage and bring the HSDS characters on.
    I heard that the post sixteen year part of the story was tacked onto the main story to mollify fans who wanted Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl to have a happy ending. Is that true? I've always felt that the story would have been better if it had ended after Little Dragon Girl jumped off the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I heard that the post sixteen year part of the story was tacked onto the main story to mollify fans who wanted Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl to have a happy ending. Is that true? I've always felt that the story would have been better if it had ended after Little Dragon Girl jumped off the cliff.
    This is true. Jin Yong had a darker ending in mind.

I think he should have stuck to his guns rather than be pressured into the "happy ending" we got, although the final battle sequence and the not-so-subtle lead in to HSDS were terrific and would have been missed.

This is true. Jin Yong had a darker ending in mind.

I think he should have stuck to his guns rather than be pressured into the "happy ending" we got, although the final battle sequence and the not-so-subtle lead in to HSDS were terrific and would have been missed.
    Agree! He should have just kept his darker ending! First instincts when writing are usually the best. What was the not-so-subtle lead in to HSDS? Apparently, it was subtle enough that I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Agree! He should have just kept his darker ending! First instincts when writing are usually the best. What was the not-so-subtle lead in to HSDS? Apparently, it was subtle enough that I missed it.
    At the end of ROCH, when the New Five Greats (Gwok Jing, Yeung Gor, Wong Yerk See, Chow Bak Tung, 1 Deng) and their closest associates (Wong Yung, Little Dragon Girl, the Divine Condor, and Gwok Seung) visited Mt. Hua to pay respects to the deceased North Beggar and West Poison, they encountered the Shaolin monk Gok Yeun and his student, thirteen year-old Cheung Gwun Bo (who would later become Mo Dong Sect founder and tai chi inventor Cheung 3 Fung). The two Shaolin monks were pursuing the Mongol mercenary Wan Hak Sai, who had stolen a Buddhist text from the Shaolin Temple that hid the text of the 9 Yeung Jen Ging in its margins. The Five Greats had never heard of the 9 Yeung Jen Ging (they only knew of the 9 Yum Jen Ging), but Yeung Gor taught young Cheung Gwun Bo four strokes that the boy used to critically wound Wan Hak Sai.

In fairness to Jin Yong, he had a newspaper (later collected novel) to sell, but I think he underestimated his audience: you don't necessarily need a happy, happy upbeat ending to make a popular, bestsellling story. Some of the most successful stories ever were tragic stories with depressing endings.

i just find it funny how none of the greats didn't know about the 9 yeung. makes you wonder if they were as strong as they thought they were or claim.

didn't one of the rotch editions stated that the shaolin monk that learn teh 9 yeung, had a very strong chi? didn't yang guo n gang felt his chi prowess from a far?

off topic,

so in terms of power, techniques etc how would you guys fear which era is stronger then which? like dmsd, lotch, rotch, sod, crimson sabre, domd, flying fox, ode to gal etc?

theres alot of debate, but how would we really know whos stronger then who? novel description will say someones stronger, but most of the time, there opinion is always not justified.

just because a character can do something another character can't don't really mean there stronger.

jin yong should release like a character stats book or something like bleach, naruto, fairy tail etc do, so we can really c or have details of what that character stats are.

i just find it funny how none of the greats didn't know about the 9 yeung. makes you wonder if they were as strong as they thought they were or claim.
    They couldn't know about it, however, because nobody outside of Shaolin (and even among the Shaolin monks, only a few elites) knew of its existence.

In fairness to Jin Yong, he had a newspaper (later collected novel) to sell, but I think he underestimated his audience: you don't necessarily need a happy, happy upbeat ending to make a popular, bestsellling story. Some of the most successful stories ever were tragic stories with depressing endings.
    Happy endings are fine, but the happy ending in ROCH just feels weird and disjointed. That post sixteen year ending almost feels like a floating appendage, not quite in sync with the main body of the story. Besides, I agree with you that some of the best stories are ones with tragic endings, if done correctly.

yeah i understand what you guys are saying about tragic endings. but not to bash, y does wong jing always make his series so tragic?

back on topic,

i still think it depends on the situation, or who au yeung fung intentions/or what his intentions are on for him to be deadly. he only fell for huang rong tricks is he thought she wouldn't lie since hes all mighty. and wouldn't think she can change the manuals text/content that quickly.

i think thats one reason i sorta like the richie ren rotch, he scheme against hr and won against her, which made him seem more trickier then hr.

still i would want au yeung fung to be main villain in rotch, or at least live up til end, and battle a real mt hua tournament without tricks etc.

but then again, being a lunatic, his acupuncture points was all over the place, so he was actually more stronger bc of that.