Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mafia the Game (spcnet style)

Default Mafia the Game (spcnet style)

More ideas on how to kill time...or kill each other?

Basically we'll play the game Mafia in one thread with spcnetters witch hunting and killing each other off.

The basics of the game:

-This is a witch hunt game in which the goal is to eliminate all the mafia members. Or, if you are a mafia member, to eliminate everyone else.

-In a group of people, they are divided into either a "civilian" or a "mafia", but the identity of the "mafia" members are unknown (except for the mafia members themselves).

-During the "night", mafia members will choose one person to kill.

-The next day, the townsfolks (everybody including mafia) will discuss with each other to vote on lynching a person whom they believe is the a member of the mafia. That person will die.

-Then, night comes along and the cycle repeats until either all the mafia members are killed (civilians wins) or all the innocent civilians are killed (mafia wins).

Other notes:

-The game is coordianted by the "Narrator" who will tell the story and has knowledge of the roles of each player.

-Amongst the townsfolk, there is a "detective" and a "doctor". During the "night" phase, the detective will be allowed to ask the narrator if one certain player is a member of the mafia and the doctor will be given the chance of save any one person.

-"Dead" folks (either per mafia or lynching) do not talk and do not vote.

How we will try to adapt the game?

1. Since we arn't all online at the same time or at the same frequency, the "night" and "day" phases will be dragged out over a few days.

2. The begining of "Day" will begin whenever the narrator announces the results of the mafia killing from the previous "night". Then, the townsfolks will be given a certain amount of time (ie. 3 days or 1 week) to decide on the member to lynch. Vote will be decided by majority. If a vote is not named by the deadline, we will assume you have decided to not vote.

3. "Night" interactions are meant to be secretive, so it will be done by PM through the narrator and the mafia members, detective, and doctor. A certain deadline will also be required to make the decision.

4. Because voting is decided by majority, and absolute count of the total number of members is important. New members who want to join will have to wait until the next game.

5. Because all role assignments and night interactions are done through PM, dead folks will be allowed to speak (since they still won't know who is who).

6. We can change the theme. Instead of mafia, we can play it on a Wuxia base (per Banh Mi) or any other theme.

7. Other suggestions?

What's the fun in the game?

-This is mostly a psychological game. The mafia members should try to somehow convince and manipulate the townsfolks to lynch their fellow innocent civilians and it is the civilian's job try to discover who the mafia members are based on what other people are saying. You can try to accuse someone else or try to defend for yourself. Form an alliance, backstab, stage something to manipulate others, what not . The more creative and dirty you get, the better (hopefully, spcnetters here are mature enough to understand that this is a game and will not take anything personally).

-Of course, in terms of the internet, we cannot read facial expressions and the immediate reactions to each statement. However, we can still make up elaborate arguments for or against each person (and each reply would be much more organized).

Anyone interested?

Participants listed so far:

Banh Mi
    ByTmE
    Guo Xiang
    jadebunny9
    kidd
    odbayarb2000
    remember_Cedric
    Ren Ying Ying
    wkeej
    xJadedx
    Yittz
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 05-22-11 at 10:18 PM.

Aren't you supposed to be doing your schoolwork?

That said, the game looks quite interesting. So long there's dead people around, I guess.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

If you guys gonna play this, count me in. Good Idea
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

I love this game. I want to be mayor.

I reckon we should add a Wuxia element to it.
    The setting is SPW. The Five Mountain Alliance has lost the Hengshan leaders to the enemy hiding amongst their ranks. The alliance must first ellect a head then lead the witch hunt for the traitors.
    Or DGSD. The beggar clan is losing top ranking officials, the great leader villain must be found before all clan is disolved.
    Last edited by Banh Mi; 05-02-11 at 11:09 AM.

My God.... Yingying, you're still able to keep up with that game? I'm utterly confused and have no idea (and no patience) with that game. Only from time to time, my bestie, who plays this game, wants to recruit me to form some sort of secret society and sell arms. o.O
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

@Ceddie...are we talking about the same game? This isn't the facebook game, if that's what you're talking about. In any case, you should play with us. What is more fun than killing off fellow spcnetters? :P

@Banhy
    Yea, I was also thinking it would be more fun to add a special theme (esp if we play multiple games). Wuxia element would be great. Is the mayor the "narrator" or is a different job?
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 05-02-11 at 04:57 PM.

The versions I've played all involved the towns people to elect a mayor and some bodyguards when the game starts.
    The mayor has extra priveleges which varies from what the game requires for balance. He can't be killed by mafia unless all the body guards are dead. Only the mayor knows who the body guards are. He has extra votes, in some games he can call for a double lynching in 1 day. The mayor is still prone to being lynched. And it is possible to elect a wolf to be mayor so there is an element of danger when voting for mayor.
    The one I played had alot of participants so there were alot of roles make it less boring for regular townies. I'll post up the rules I played on.

----
    Roles
    Townies
    You're a citizen, you contribute by voting for lynchings on who you suspect to be mafia. Towny roles may change if they are appointed Mayor, Pardoner or Bodyguard.

Mafia
    You're like the werewolves, you order hits to kill people each night, but beware, each hit leaves behind a clue that may lead to you being discovered. Clues can range from anything from references to screen names, sigs, avatars.

Mayor
    At the start of the game, you are voted to office by the people. How you campaign for the role is up to you. But anyone can become a mayor, even mafia, so be careful. Upon being elected, the mayor gets a free lynching of whoever he chooses. Following that, the mayor cannot be killed by mafia so long as his bodyguards are still alive. But the mayor is vulnerable to lynching like everyone else. The mayor also gets to call 2 double lynchings by informing me the night before. And when the mayor votes, he gets 2 votes. 1 done publicly, 1 privately to me. Only the mayor knows who the bodyguards are.

Pardoner
    The pardoner is the runner up to the mayor. He's protected by the same bodyguards as the mayor, but is still vulnerable to lynching. The pardoner gets to pardon 2 people through the course of the game. He cannot pardon himself.

Bodyguard
    Once the mayor and Pardoner are elected, I will randomly assign a number of townies as bodyguards. Only the mayor knows who they are and the bodyguards must be dead before the mafia can kill either the Mayor or the Pardoner.

Vigilante
    You get to kill 2 people throughout the entire game, during the course of the night. Clues will also be left behind by your kills. You may only begin to use your kills after the first night as passed.

Detective
    The detective can ask me the role of a person per night. Ask a yes or no question of where a clue points to a certain person.

Paramedic
    The paramedic gets to watch over one person per night, and if they are targetted by anyone, then they are saved by the paramedic, the paramedic can opt not to save anyone for any given nights.

Elder
    The Elder's words carry much weight in the community, regardless of how much of a wanker he is. So he gets 2 votes, 1 vote done publicly, one private to me.

Jock
    The jock can survive a total of 2 hits per night due to his physical stature. Much like being saved by a paramedic, except he loses 1 life.

I'm excited for this game now. But I doubt we'll get the necessary numbers to have a good game.

Count me in! But let me go through the rules again....sounds pretty complicated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    I'm excited for this game now. But I doubt we'll get the necessary numbers to have a good game.
    Yea, hopefully we'll get some more people. We might need to cut down on some of those roles, though.

So far we have:
    Myself
    GX
    odbayarb
    Banhie
    ceddie (????)
    bunbun

who volunteers to drag other members in so we have more people to lynch?
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 05-03-11 at 12:11 AM.

If more people join, I'll throw my hand on a blade, catch a grenade, jump in front of a train for yall.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    If more people join, I'll throw my hand on a blade, catch a grenade, jump in front of a train for yall.
    but nobody want's to play besides the few of us x_x

Perhaps they need more incentive. Or is there just not that many people active? =[

You mean the opportunity to spam and procrastinate is not attractive enough???!!!

this forum has been pretty inactive these past few years though

Truly, whoever knows the game of Mafia knows the fun and suspense that ensues. But for those that don't, probably needs a gentle push to overcome the inertia.

omg I can't believe I didn't think of this in spcnet

I am definitely in.

I love this game. I am going to mind rape you all!!!

I just put a target on my back eh?

Trust me, it sounds lame, but once you understand the rules and inner workings (which takes only 1 game etc) it is an awesome game. You will get to learn more about the other forum members (at least their true self) through this game than any other thread. It is interactive. It is cerebral but also requires EQ in the ability to manipulate others. And there is nothing more fun than lynching someone for the sake of lynching. The more players there are, the better it is. And when the game is over, you can go over people's posts again for some lol

Once I was the narrator while playing with my friends. I made everyone townies. Then I started killing people off randomly at night. The confusion was hilarious as people geniunely argued for themselves. Until they found out and banned me for a game.

We should PM active members like PJ and Ken
    Last edited by yittz; 05-18-11 at 12:02 AM.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Yea, hopefully we'll get some more people. We might need to cut down on some of those roles, though.

So far we have:
    Myself
    GX
    odbayarb
    Banhie
    ceddie (????)
    bunbun

who volunteers to drag other members in so we have more people to lynch?
    You all make it sound real fun and I think it's no harm trying it. My mind is pretty blank about this game so please be kind to me.

Yittz, I'm more afraid of my time getting raped more than the mind.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

OMG Yittz is back! Wait...is it the real Yittz, or just a bot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    @Ceddie...are we talking about the same game? This isn't the facebook game, if that's what you're talking about. In any case, you should play with us. What is more fun than killing off fellow spcnetters? :P
    I would play but will be slow (as I'll be trying to grasp the game and mostly time away from SPCNET). The Detective sound like an interesting role.

Yes, the first thing that came to my mind is the FB Mafia War game. Hmmm.... you're right about your last line to moi... you know me quite well, Yingying
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 05-18-11 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    OMG Yittz is back! Wait...is it the real Yittz, or just a bot?
    It's not my fault. Work sux. Spcnet kinda slow :/
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.