Thread: hope this helps.. scam scam scam..

Default hope this helps.. scam scam scam..

"taken from website www.simlimsquareshopping.com, i got scammed, thus creating awareness to help buyers from being a victim" cheers.

Acting on the false belief that Singapore has extremely low prices on electronics, tourists flock to Sim Lim Square to snatch up the latest cameras and computers.

Some unscrupulous salespeople are unable to resist the easy sales and take advantage of tourists who assume they’re getting a great deal.

Most of Sim Lim’s vendors are reputable, but you can defend yourself from the rip-off artists by following these tips:

Compare prices
    Before you make a major purchase it’s a smart idea to check the price at other local shops and even in your home country. Prices on new brand-name electronics really don’t vary that much and Singapore is definitely not the cheapest place to shop. I got a much better deal on my DLSR camera in Canada and the warranty is longer!

Information is power
    It’s easy to use the internet to check a product’s suggested retail price and even print out information about
    what you plan to buy. S$400 may seem like a great price for a digital camera with accessories, but not when you later discover it’s an old model and suggested retail price is now S$300.

Confirm the total price
    One of the most common complaints is salespeople who add surprise 'unlocking fees' to the bill for phones and video games. These fees are often a scam.

Be wary of fakes
    I don’t recall Apple launching an iPhone nano, but I have seen one at Sim Lim Square! Though police raids have made them rare, fakes do exist.

Don’t be charmed
    The shops on the first floor are known for specifically targeting tourists. Anyone who shouts at you across the mall about special deals ‘just for you’ probably doesn’t have good intentions.

Well, thanks...but you could probably help even more consumers by reporting these merchants to your local Better Business Bureau and/or Chamber of Commerce. They're the people who can really help in such cases.

If they've defrauded you, you might also consider retaining an attorney, although litigation is expensive and might not be worth the expense.

Well, Simlim Square does have a shady reputation for a reason.

Maybe this should be moved to the travelling forum?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."