Thread: What is the 9th stance of DG9J used for?

Default What is the 9th stance of DG9J used for?

The mysterious 9th stance, the qi-breaking stance, which can be used to deal with opponents with advanced inner power. FQY taught LHC the verbal formula and training method, then it was never heard from again.

Thinking about it though, why would LHC ever need to use it? If someone attacks him with a powerful qi-backed fist, he uses the palm-breaking stance; if someone attacks with with a powerful qi-backed sword strike, he uses the sword-breaking stance, and so on. If someone just stands there with diamond body or the like... well, then just stab him, since even monsters like Xuzhu are unable to effectively take a dagger with their inner strength alone. And on the off-chance that someone can... then just stab him in the eye.

So, what is the point of the 9th stance? It is not useful in defending against vocal attacks (which LHC has been shown to be vulnerable to), since the quickest way to shut the attacker up would simply be to stab him with one of the other stances first. LHC, while completely unable to employ any inner power of his own, was able to counter the weapons and unarmed strikes of experts employing considerable inner power using just the first 8 stances with little difficulty. All in all, the 9th stance seems rather pointless...

Maybe it's something that can be used when the user is locked in an inner power struggle with an opponent.

It's use to counter attacks like Haduken and Kamehameha.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^

I still don't understand how, with all of these powerful DGJJ stuffs, LHC was so easily overwhelmed by the mute granny/Yilin's mom. What a blatant plot device! But at least it leads to a hilarious incident, so I'll give JY a pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy1 View Post
    I still don't understand how, with all of these powerful DGJJ stuffs, LHC was so easily overwhelmed by the mute granny/Yilin's mom. What a blatant plot device! But at least it leads to a hilarious incident, so I'll give JY a pass on this one.
    Ling Wu Chung never really mastered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Ling Wu Chung never really mastered it.
    The mute granny was able to overwhelm him with the swiftness of her attack. I don't think that she used any neigong at all. She must have been one of the most powerful masters in the SPW wulin, since she is able to defeat both LHC and RYY. She should at least be able to hold DFBB to a standstill.

Or maybe LHC is simply useless without a sword.

Or maybe LHC is simply useless without a sword.
    Pretty much. Swordless, he was unimpressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Pretty much. Swordless, he was unimpressive.
    But didn't FQY taught him that "using your finger as a sword" trick? (correct me if I'm wrong). Or maybe, he did get that lesson but never really mastered it either.

I would guess it would let a DG9J practitioner be able to break/dissipate Ouyang Feng's accidental, in the heat of the moment attack against Huang Rong on Peach Blossom Island when he was fighting Hong Qi versus taking on the inner power with inner power. That attack had no "moves", Hong Qi and Ouyang Feng had exhausted all the punches, kicks, palm strikes, etc by that time if memory serves. By breaking his chi, his inner power will be neutered and whatever blow he landed would be just a normal punch.
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-27-12 at 02:15 PM.

But didn't FQY taught him that "using your finger as a sword" trick? (correct me if I'm wrong). Or maybe, he did get that lesson but never really mastered it either.
    IIRC. Feng simply mentioned once it's possible to use fingers as a sword. He never taught it to LHC.

And yes, LHC is fairly useless without a sword.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Doc Kwok, maybe JY just needed a filler to fill up 9 stances. Maybe he really wanted to have Dugu 9 Jian instead of Dugu 8 Jian. Maybe that's the sole reason
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Maybe the stance could break one of Xiao Feng's LDA.

I think JY just needed some mysterious, other-worldly level martial art that he can comfortably use as a plot device to say that the protagonist beats people that he has no business beating. That's really what DG9J and DGQB in general (and characters of that ilk, e.g. Sweeper Monk) are.

None of them actually master the mysterious other-wordly level martial art because it is mysterious and other-worldly.

I would imagine it was used to deal with long ranged energy blasts. Maybe even higher level stuff like sword chi and LMSJ.