Thread: Do you think the spirit of Yeung Teet Sum came to hate Yau Chui Gei?

Default Do you think the spirit of Yeung Teet Sum came to hate Yau Chui Gei?

Yeung Teet Sum always considered the Eternal Springs Taoist of the Cheun Jen Sect, Yau Chui Gei, as his good buddy, but one wonders if in the afterlife, upon reflection, Yeung Teet Sum didn't come to hate Yau Chui Gei's guts. Meeting Yau Chui Gei screwed Yeung's family for three successive generations. Consider:

1. Encountering Yau Chui Gei at Ox Village got Yeung Teet Sum and his wife separated for eighteen years, saw her deceived into marrying a Jin prince, and ended up in YTS and his wife committing suicide not long after their reunion.

2. Yau Chui Gei ostensibly would make it up to Yeung Teet Sum by teaching the latter's son, Yeung Hong, good martial arts and good virtue, but Yau fails on both counts. Yau not only never taught Yeung Hong any really good martial arts skills, but also neglected the youth's moral development, resulting in Yeung Hong becoming a traitor to his ethnicity, his parents, his sworn brother, and his teacher.

3. Third time's a charm, right? Having screwed Yeung Teet Sum and Yeung Hong over, Yau Chui Gei resolved that he'd do better with Yeung Gor...but he didn't. Instead, he farmed Yeung Gor out to sadistic third-generation Cheun Jen Sect flunky Chiu Tze Ging, who'd abuse and torture Yeung Gor.

If I were Yeung Teet Sum, I'd wonder if Yau Chui Gei didn't privately harbor a *serious* hate on for my family.

The happenings to Yang Tiexin and wife are mostly the fault of Wanyan Honglie. And YG turned out very well in the end (one must go through some suffering along the way). The only one that "Iron Heart" must be disappointed with is Yang Kang. Qiu Chuji could have done more for YK, but Qiu didn't treat YK horribly either. YK is also responsible for the way he turned out.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I wonder if the "I wish I never met you" mentality is a modern thing. I can totally see myself thinking like you describe, but I can't really imagine someone like Yang thinking that. He knows that Qiu meant no harm and was a noble and upright guy that would waste years of his life for a friend he only knew for one night. The other stuff that happened was just plain bad luck, even if it could be traced back to Qiu.

An interesting scenario would be if someone mentioned a butterfly effect relationship regarding his wife to huang Yaoshi; if Ouyang Feng had not attempted to steal the 9 Yin from Wang Chongyang he would not have felt a need to tell ZBT to go around hiding them, which eventually lead to the death of his wife. Would he take it out on Ouyang Feng?
    Last edited by tape; 05-08-12 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I wonder if the "I wish I never met you."
    That sequence of six words is the cruelest sequence of words a person could ever utter or write, if they're sincere. If words were weapons, those six words together in that order would be the equivalent of a hydrogen bomb. Not only would it immediately annihilate all life in the area, but also make the land uninhabitable for many thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That sequence of six words is the cruelest sequence of words a person could ever utter or write, if they're sincere. If words were weapons, those six words together in that order would be the equivalent of a hydrogen bomb. Not only would it immediately annihilate all life in the area, but also make the land uninhabitable for many thousands of years.
    Didn't Yang Kang mention something along those lines (or something equally hurtful) to Wanyan Honglie when delirious with Ouyang Feng's poison? If so, the butterfly effect which Wanyan Honglie started at the beginning of this thread with the lust for Bao Xiruo comes back to hit him hard then!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Didn't Yang Kang mention something along those lines (or something equally hurtful) to Wanyan Honglie when delirious with Ouyang Feng's poison? If so, the butterfly effect which Wanyan Honglie started at the beginning of this thread with the lust for Bao Xiruo comes back to hit him hard then!
    Chapter 36 - Expedition to the West

As Wanyan Honglie was heading toward the temple door he turned his head
    one more time and called out, ?Kang?er! Kang?er!?

Yang Kang?s eyes were brimming with tears; he also called out, ?Fu Wang!
    Fu Wang! [Father King]? He walked toward Wanyan Honglie.

Wanyan Honglie was delighted, he spread out his arms and hugged Yang
    Kang tightly, ?Child, are you feeling better??

Under the moonlight Yang Kang?s face suddenly changed; he opened his
    mouth, revealing two rows of white teeth, ready to bite. Wanyan Honglie
    was shocked. His left hand pushed out, breaking the hug. Yang Kang?s
    strength was completely gone; he fell backwards. He struggled hard to
    crawl back up to no avail.

Wanyan Honglie did not dare to linger much longer, without looking back
    he hurriedly went out the temple, mounted his horse and ran as fast as
    he could. The others were close on his heels, and in a short moment the
    temple was quiet again.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    I wonder if the "I wish I never met you" mentality is a modern thing. I can totally see myself thinking like you describe, but I can't really imagine someone like Yang thinking that. He knows that Qiu meant no harm and was a noble and upright guy that would waste years of his life for a friend he only knew for one night. The other stuff that happened was just plain bad luck, even if it could be traced back to Qiu.

An interesting scenario would be if someone mentioned a butterfly effect relationship regarding his wife to huang Yaoshi; if Ouyang Feng had not attempted to steal the 9 Yin from Wang Chongyang he would not have felt a need to tell ZBT to go around hiding them, which eventually lead to the death of his wife. Would he take it out on Ouyang Feng?
    I'd imagine people back then would be more inclined to chalk it up to fate. It's only relatively recently that humanity has got it into our heads that we can completely control our own fortunes, without the design of higher forces.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Chapter 36 - Expedition to the West
    Those quotations happened after what I believe Ian was alluding to: YK yelling out to Fuwang Wanyan "you're not my father! You killed my mother and now you want to hurt me!"

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Those quotations happened after what I believe Ian was alluding to: YK yelling out to Fuwang Wanyan "you're not my father! You killed my mother and now you want to hurt me!"
    You're right. I missed this earlier bit.

Suddenly Yang Kang jumped high until his head almost hit the beam. He
    pointed his finger at Wanyan Honglie and he shouted, ?You are not my
    father! You killed my mother, now you kill me!?

Wanyan Honglie stepped back and stumbled down. Sha Tongtian said, ?Xiao
    Wangye, please calm down.? He stepped forward to grab Yang Kang?s arms.
    Unexpectedly Yang Kang flipped his hand to push away Sha Tongtian?s hand
    and quickly seized his arm. Yang Kang?s left hand formed a claw
    scratching Sha Tongtian?s arm.

Anyway, it could have been worse. It was written that when Qiu Chuji found out Mrs. Bao had married Wanyan Honglie, he tracked her down and almost slayed her, before being interrupted at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Anyway, it could have been worse. It was written that when Qiu Chuji found out Mrs. Bao had married Wanyan Honglie, he tracked her down and almost slayed her, before being interrupted at the last minute.
    Yes. Even the LOCH '82 adaptation depicted this scene.

Imagine if he followed through! Then Yang Iron Heart might really not forgive him

That might have been the better alternative though.