Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 新白发魔女传 The Bride with White Hair ft. Nicky Wu

Quote Originally Posted by Vienne94 View Post
    Wow that seems pretty low. I guess I need to compare it to other shows to know what the average ratings are. Also, is that just TV or online as well?

Also are they blaming it on Ma Su? Poor girl. Whenever a show doesn't do well, the female lead tends to get blamed.
    Vienne94, from my understanding the rating jump up a little higher since then. The drama also during extremely well online.

Ratings for 7-12.

ep7=0.587
    ep8=0.984
    ep9=0.874
    ep10=0.873
    ep11=0.695
    ep12=0.589
    Last edited by Liu Xiao Xiao; 10-02-12 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks babygil & Liu Xiao Xiao. May I ask where you guys are getting the ratings info? My very limited Chinese is making it hard to find that info.

From here: http://baike.baidu.com/view/6013882.htm

Episode 1 & 2's rating got updated since the last posting and it appeared to be doing really well, but the ratings dropped thereafter.

I watched the first ep, wow, what a flop! Bad Bad special effects, and kissing already on the first ep keke. I remember watching another adaption from the 80's with Bonnie Ngia, and that is how I remember how the story goes, this is really different. I hope maybe one day they can make it closer to the ones in the 80's the relationship between the male and female lead was so much more sweet.

^ It gets much better as the series progresses.

I also felt the first few episodes were a bit corny but it definitely improves and mystery becomes much more interesting

definitely not as bad as people say it is. Contrary to what other people, i like to see a different twist to the storyline in remakes, it would seem to be a little repetitive if the same plot is done over and over again.
    If you started, you must finished.
    If you do it, you must give it all.

The cast list on Wikipedia and DramaWiki seems incredibly thin ... that can't be all of the characters in this series?

There is a huge CAST of characters in the novel.

Why aren't all the Wu Dang Taoists credited? There should be THREE Ming Dynasty emperors in the series. Not to mention the eunuch Wei Zhong Xian and of course, Li Zi Cheng.

None of these names appear on the cast lists. Hopefully not the case, but if these characters were left out of the series, then that would be about as epic of a FAIL as humanly conceivable.
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

This adaptation draws ALOT of the plots from the 1999 Romance of the White Haired Maiden w/ HK actor Julian Cheung & Mainland actress Jiang Qinqin. It is almost like a remake of 1999 Taiwanese adaptation.

I liked the happy/happier ending of the Taiwanese series more than how the older HK series' mood coincides w/ the unhappy ending of the novel, more or less.....

Quote Originally Posted by babygil View Post
    Vienne94, from my understanding the rating jump up a little higher since then. The drama also during extremely well online.

Thanks for this, Babygil. How do we know the ratings for online viewing?

I just started watching it and it is pretty interesting. There sure are a lot of action sequences with cgi. Ma Su looks very elegant and befittingly like a martial artist hahaha actually all of the girls so far and good looking. Li Jie is very dashing, also.
    I like me.

Default Unhappy Ending....

Spoiler:

After Zhou Yi Han took care of all of Wu Dang's business, forces his big martial brother to kill himself & bring Moroung Chong to justice, find a safe place for his little martial sister & her baby (raped by big martial brother), he goes to a snowy cliff to duel w/ his wife, Ni Shan. In the end of the duel, he trades his life to cure/absorb Li Ni Shan of all her poison & he gives his youth/vitality to her and becomes an old man...

He then tells her he loves her and then falls DEAD. Ni Shan wraps her hand around him and dreams of a life that they could have had... "Yi Han, young again, picking her up at the same cave the first time they made love and taking her far away on horseback... holding hands and being VERY happy". In reality, she has not left the snowy mountain cliff, nor let go of him. She stays by his side on the snowy cliff, holding his dead body, and freezing to death herself....

THE END!
    Last edited by szfong; 10-28-12 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    Spoiler:

After Zhou Yi Han took care of all of Wu Dang's business, kills his big martial brother & bring Moroung Chong to justice, find a safe place for his little martial sister & her baby, he goes to a snowy cliff to duel w/ his wife, Ni Shan. In the End of the duel, he trades his life to cure/absorb Li Ni Shan of all her poison & he gives his youth/vitality to her and becomes an old man...

He then tells her he loves her and then falls DEAD. Ni Shan wraps her hand around him and dreams of a life that they could have had... "Yi Han, yound again, picking her up at the same cave the first time they made love and taking her far away on horseback... holding hands and being VERY happy". In reality, she has not left the snowy mountain cliff, nor let go of him. She stays by his side on the snowy cliff, holding his dead body, and freezing to death herself....

THE END!
    damn! i really wished they had a happy ending like the 1999 version. I really had my hopes up when someone mentioned that this version was based off that one.

However, i feel that they seriously rushed the ending and took out the snowflower (at least that's what i get from watching it without understanding chinese at all).

overall, i think it's very interesting and good to watch at least once. beginning was good, middle was sad, but the ending was horrible. i think they focus too much on his martial sister and that other guy she married toward the end, leaving alot of be desired for the main couple.
    "The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation form the self." - Albert Einstein

Currently Writing: Lotus in the Wind
    Dragon, Phoenix, and Flower

I believe in mid-course they changed the ending to differ than the happy 1999 Taiwan version.

In the book, they never dueled or fell off a cliff, etc... These plots were also in the 1999 series...

I remember they kept comparing the 1999 series & the 2 movies with Brigitte Lin & Leslie Cheung and criticized the 1999 series. In interviews Julian Cheung said Leslie Cheung payed him a visit one day and told him as long he tried his best, ignore others' criticism... Encouraging words he never forgot. A few years later, Leslie leaped off of a high rise hotel....

Anyhow, I didn't like this changed ending as Ni Shan's teacher told Yi Han how to save her disciple and that in the "FUTURE", treat her well & take care of her for the rest of her life... meaning the procedure to save her didn't need to "trade a life to save another life".... But the ending was altered after they had already finished post-production work in 6 episode blocks.... They should have spent more time in post production work and make the story more consistent w/ the ending and add better special effects... It was a "rushed" series, even Nicki Wu says so in interviews & briefly told about the altered ending....
    Last edited by szfong; 10-28-12 at 09:27 PM.

What? I am so confused. Is that the spoiler for this version? Li Jie's character turned bad? E Hua had a baby with who?

Oh, just to be clear, I have not watched any of the other versions -__- too depressing.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    What? I am so confused. Is that the spoiler for this version? Li Jie's character turned bad? E Hua had a baby with who?

Oh, just to be clear, I have not watched any of the other versions -__- too depressing.
    Li Jie as Geng Shao Nan put date rape drugs in her refreshment & Geng Shao Nan's teacher also put sleeping powder drug in her air freshener/scenter as well, allowing her to get raped and become pregnant. She forgave him in the end. Eventhough Geng Shao Nan tells her to abort the baby, she kept it and "uncle" Yi Han found a secluded place for them to live peacefully.
    Last edited by szfong; 10-28-12 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaoqain14 View Post
    damn! i really wished they had a happy ending like the 1999 version. I really had my hopes up when someone mentioned that this version was based off that one.

However, i feel that they seriously rushed the ending and took out the snowflower (at least that's what i get from watching it without understanding chinese at all).

overall, i think it's very interesting and good to watch at least once. beginning was good, middle was sad, but the ending was horrible. i think they focus too much on his martial sister and that other guy she married toward the end, leaving alot of be desired for the main couple.
    Yeah they focused too much on the "poison" girl and the "blind" guy + the "learning disabled" child-man... The flow of the story was disrupted as they switched/stitched scenes together. Even amateur film (a series is just like one long film) makers don't make this type of mistakes.

The "snowflower" was actually preserved inside a "pendant" around the neck of the woman who saved Yi Han after being kicked off of a cliff by his elder martial brother.
    Last edited by szfong; 10-28-12 at 09:54 PM.

Yeah they focused too much on the "poison" girl and the "blind" guy + the "learning disabled" child-man... The flow of the story was disrupted as they switched/stitched scenes together. Even amateur film (a series is just like one long film) makers don't make this type of mistakes.

The "snowflower" was actually preserved inside a "pendant" around the neck of the woman who saved Yi Han after being kicked off of a cliff by his elder martial brother.
    i see. i was wondering what that was all about. but still, ending could and SHOULD have been better. too much left unspoken and the main couple just basically becomes less and less important as the story progress.
    "The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation form the self." - Albert Einstein

Currently Writing: Lotus in the Wind
    Dragon, Phoenix, and Flower

Li Jie as Geng Shao Nan put date rape drugs in her refreshment & Geng Shao Nan's teacher also put sleeping powder drug in her air freshener/scenter as well, allowing her to get raped and become pregnant. She forgave him in the end.
    To clarify a little more, Shao Nan put drugs in her drink but at the last moment before she drank it he threw it away. But by then she was already affected by the drugs his teacher put in the air freshener. So at the time Shao Nan didn't realize she was drugged.

There was another scene where he was really angry at his teacher because he wanted her to fall in love with him for real.

Still, it bugged me with the way they did the scene where she forgave him. It made it seem like she actually "loved" him and if that was the case, it was awkward. I mean, I could understand if she forgave him because she thought of him as family and she didn't want to continue hating, but the way the scene was done just didn't seem right.

Yeah, the side relationships were ok but definitely felt like too much time was spent on them. The story definitely got weaker and weaker as it progressed.

Also, since the series is called 新白发魔女传 it's a little disappointing that the lead actress wasn't more pivotal in the final scenes

And personally I felt there were too many needless deaths that didn't really add to the story. I mean, it's like the characters are sad but then it doesn't fundamentally affect the story, which I feel should be a requirement.

So overall it was an OK watch but not something I would buy and add to my collection.

I must've missed the part where Geng Shao Nan threw the drugged soup away.. I thought he was just "acting" in front of his teacher... since he had already fallen into the dark side. I don't like some movies because of the "rough edges" between scenes/plots, but for a series it is almost in-excusable as they have plenty of time & episodes to make for a good storytelling. The ending was indeed rushed... and it seems to jump all over the place... The two main actors were "probably" unavailable for much of the production work & spending all there time "promoting" the series & themselves and looking at scripts for their "next" job/commercial/opportunity than actually doing a good job near the end.

As a side note, I like how Geng Shao Nan, while practicing his sword, mentioned that by learning "tian lang jian fa / Heavenly Wolf Sword Play" he'll lose the ability to procreate... becoming impotent or a eunich, who knows... It was the exact phrase he used exactly a decade ago in "Xiao Ao Jianghu 2001" where he played Lin Ping Zhi..