Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 新白发魔女传 The Bride with White Hair ft. Nicky Wu

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    As a side note, I like how Geng Shao Nan, while practicing his sword, mentioned that by learning "tian lang jian fa / Heavenly Wolf Sword Play" he'll lose the ability to procreate... becoming impotent or a eunich, who knows... It was the exact phrase he used exactly a decade ago in "Xiao Ao Jianghu 2001" where he played Lin Ping Zhi..
    Haha Yeah, I found that to be really funny too!

I agree it's disappointing how the series jumped all over the place. I wonder if it was the writing or directing or if they were required to edit it strangely for the censors? Such a pity for a series that could have been really good.

(One thing that bugged me though was Ma Su's hairstyle. They made her look a bit too old I felt. I liked it better when her hair was down. Heck, she looked younger with white hair!).

j2j2j2, Indeed your right, it seems like chunks of the script are missing.... I think perhaps, they were budgeted for 42 eps, and they went too slowly in the beginning, and wrapped everything up TOOO quickly near the end.... From my understanding, the two leads were spending ALOT of time promoting & touring themselves near the end. There minds were somewhere else, it seems. Did you notice the inconsistency between EP1 and EP42, the duel between YiHan & NiShan? They did not film many scenes, it was inferred ONLY if you remember earlier scenes. It was a rough job, I think they filmed the two lead's scenes earlier than the scenes for the others & mixed & matched them together, hence the lack of smooth transitioning between episodes/story lines. These things also happens in Hollywood when their budgets are running low....

The hairdo of NiShan had brown highlighting some of times & less on others. It was inconsistent, I agree with you, it was "sloppy" of them not to notice it. It just lowers the quality... Like a half-baked job by the whole production team who just wants to get on to a "new" job as quickly as possible... Did they not get along??? Hence the "rush job"....

In terms of censorship, there are known guidelines that they follow, but however they also must pay/give "kickbacks/jobs/gifts" to the station heads & censors' families to prevent red-tape/nick-picking/delays/etc... In a sense, series production were less censored/less obstacles/cheaper to make a decade ago... Nowadays, it is just way too much about the $$$, everyone wants a piece of it from every-level, it seems, and in this case the storytelling suffered greatly because of it.
    Last edited by szfong; 11-07-12 at 04:50 PM.

I haven't finish this series yet, should I still finish it? even though it has some bad reviews on it.......

Quote Originally Posted by C-luv-H View Post
    I haven't finish this series yet, should I still finish it? even though it has some bad reviews on it.......
    You should finish it of course, but I suggest quickly reading the complete English Translation first, at Wuxia Translation Forum, and then finish the series... the 40eps 1999 Taiwan Series was ok as well..

Bai Fa Mo Nu, the novel does not tell of the fates of NiShan & YiHan in the end.. In a later novel, I believe, YiHan had since already died of a broken heart and his only disciple, LongZi, had helped the dead YiHan accept another disciple. When NiShan was very old, that disciple returned the "bloomed snow flower" to her but she didn't want it and gave it to her disciple Hamaya. Hamaya didn't want it either.... Since YiHan cared a great deal for his looks/youth, he ordered his disciple to preserve him well after he died. He knew one day he'll be with NiShan and wished to look his "best". When NiShan was close to death, she made her hair turn black again using the bloomed snow flower, and unearthed "YiHan mummy/jerky" and wrapped her hands around "YiHan mummy" and wrote a warning with her claws on the wall for no one should try separating them. WuDang wanted to take their leader's corpse to be buried at WuDang but Hamaya insisted otherwise... They eventually agreed to bury them together in the cave... THE END.

In this series adaptation, YiHan helped her get her youth back before dying while she wrapped her hands around his dead body, dreaming of better times, accompanying him forever, never to separate again, and also later dying with him on the snowy peak. THE END.
    Last edited by szfong; 11-07-12 at 04:52 PM.

Did you notice the inconsistency between EP1 and EP42, the duel between YiHan & NiShan? They did not film many scenes, it was inferred ONLY if you remember earlier scenes. It was a rough job, I think they filmed the two lead's scenes earlier than the scenes for the others & mixed & matched them together, hence the lack of smooth transitioning between episodes/story lines. These things also happens in Hollywood when their budgets are running low....
    Ha, very good observations! Yeah, I was wondering why we saw so little of her towards the end. I think it's very possible that they might have had scheduling issues so they did like you said: shot their scenes first and then let the secondary characters fill in the rest.

I guess since this was Nicky's first production perhaps he was a bit more conservative?

I've never seen the 1999 version but after hearing your review I'll probably add that to my watch list. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2 View Post
    Ha, very good observations! Yeah, I was wondering why we saw so little of her towards the end. I think it's very possible that they might have had scheduling issues so they did like you said: shot their scenes first and then let the secondary characters fill in the rest.

I guess since this was Nicky's first production perhaps he was a bit more conservative?

I've never seen the 1999 version but after hearing your review I'll probably add that to my watch list. Thanks
    Yeah, Nicky Wu was not "strict" enough in many aspects it seems... Some of the best movies & series are produced by strict, almost dictatorial/fascist producers & directors...

The 1999 version is probably still on youtube... if your interested...

anyone happen to have some of the background music/ost? theres 8 i found on youtube, but can't seem to find some of the instrumentals or sad beats.

I heard they are going to make ANOTHER Bride w/ White Hair Film in 2013. The stars are Huang Xiaoming & Fan Bingbing.

is it going to be a movie, or another tv series? this one was pretty good. some parts draggy but i like the ost.

It going to be a "remake" of the two 1993 films with better special effects, younger actors, and a bigger budget, I suppose.

I am so lurking ... and I am so late .... cos this show is coming to SINGAPORE this Sat, 10.30pm.

!!!!! F. I. N. A. L. L. Y !!!!!

I heard they are going to make ANOTHER Bride w/ White Hair Film in 2013. The stars are Huang Xiaoming & Fan Bingbing.
    Ugh... I really dislike Fan Bingbing. She's ok as a supporting actress but she's not lead material.

Quote Originally Posted by j2j2j2 View Post
    Ugh... I really dislike Fan Bingbing. She's ok as a supporting actress but she's not lead material.
    They just finished filming the renamed film White Haired Witch w/ Huang Xiaoming & Fan Bingbing. Heard he broke his toe during filming, but the plastic surgery on his face is MOST notable, just like his girl friend...

Hi, I love this movie very much, especially Lian Nishang character. So pretty, adorable, innocent... She loves Yi Hang so much...

Please, can anyone translate their conversation to english, in this ending version? I really want to know what they are talking, cause this is the extended version of the ending.

I've completed watching this series few days ago.
    Overall I rate it 8/10 ... very enjoyable

good outdoor scenery and acceptable fight scenes
    very good acting by the non-mainland actors ... murong chong's actor was perfect for this baddie punchbag role
    all characters get to spit some fake blood

lead actress acting not convincing ... unable to project a fierce image with that dolly face , pink lipstick and clothing color
    bad choice to include the "twin uncles" with 1 character difference in their name .... insult to the viewer's intelligence
    badly hidden shots where stunt body-doubles were used

I watched the first episode and stopped because I was lost already. So you fall in the water with a random stranger and suddenly have a random make-out session? I'm sorry, but am I missing something?

I think you skipped a couple of episodes lol.