Thread: Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist

Default Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist

I'm sure many wuxia enthusiasts have heard of Street Fighter, the fighting game that left a deep imprint on the childhood of many.

This 12 episode series, viewable for free on youtube, depicts the close bonds between iconic characters Ryu and Ken, with a strong presence by Gouken as well as the fascinating transformation of Gouki into Akuma.

This is by far the best live action Street Fighter ever made. It garnered over a million views in a matter of days, with fans both hardcore and casual heaping praise upon its character development, good acting and great choreography in the combat scenes, while staying true to the source material. The passion that the producers have for Street Fighter is apparent in this production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7S...uhtxqU&index=2

You might say, but Street Fighter is not Wuxia. You can call it the Japanese equivalent of Wuxia then, complete with the pinnacle of martial arts according to members here, Long Distance Attacks

Will watch when I get a chance later, I used to be extremely into Street Fighter.

Traveled a bunch for tournaments and such, mainly for the later games like MvC2 and Cvs2, but of course the whole street fighter/fighting game culture seeped in and I wound up playing most of these games at a pretty high level!

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Will watch when I get a chance later, I used to be extremely into Street Fighter.

Traveled a bunch for tournaments and such, mainly for the later games like MvC2 and Cvs2, but of course the whole street fighter/fighting game culture seeped in and I wound up playing most of these games at a pretty high level!
    Nice! It seems this place is filled with crouching tigers and hidden dragons

I played fighting games (mostly Street Fighter 2) in the arcades after school and with friends/relatives at home, but I didn't know there was a tournament scene until a few years ago when SF4 came out.

I sometimes get chills watching tournament streams, like when Poongko perfected Daigo at Evo, or when Daigo's Ryu beat Mago's Fei Long during Topanga League, overcoming a very bad matchup. I only went to one tournament, went 1-2, but I had fun there.

I really enjoy the free and unrestrained nature of the fighting game community. The FGC has retained the laid back, honest and uncensored atmosphere of the arcade culture. A culture that promotes BOTH rivalry and friendship.

The Daigo moment that I still remember after all these years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeM0rH_4ung

It was always fun in MvC2 when Justin Wong was the undisputed champion and would win everything for years in a game that everyone, himself including, would talk about so much randomness in the game. Yet in every tournament, he was always #1 and the rest of the top players would place #2-10th in random fashion. Reminded me Wang Chongyang . Despite all the analysis and logic, he somehow is still a bit better than all the rest when it counted.

Ah, the Daigo parry. Nothing will ever come close!

It was always fun in MvC2 when Justin Wong was the undisputed champion and would win everything for years in a game that everyone, himself including, would talk about so much randomness in the game.
    History repeats itself here. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is the most random game ever, yet Justin still thrives by trying to minimize the randomness. And I can't imagine what an FGC OG who considers MvC2 to be random would think of MvC3's randomness and scrub friendly nature haha

There seems to be a pattern where the newer iterations in a video game series become easier, to cater to casuals. Deterioration theory at work

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
    There seems to be a pattern where the newer iterations in a video game series become easier, to cater to casuals. Deterioration theory at work
    I tend to think this too, though I try not to say it because it's hard not to sound like a nostalgic old fogie grumbling about how easy kids have it these days .

Thinking about Justin's reign over MvC2 is really unbelievable when you look at it from a statistics perspective -- during his early-mid 2000's dominance he literally won every single big tournament he entered for ~3 years. Even if he was a 90-95% favorite over ever single person he faced (which can't possibly be the case against certain people), he would be a huge underdog to duplicate those results, especially in a game where there is quite a bit of variance.

To relate this to wuxia, I guess he is more of a Gu Long character than a Jin Yong character...somehow his mindset just allows him to win at key moments. We joke about Xiao Feng's FIGHTING SPIRIT trumping all, but if it spills forth in everything from physical sports to mainly mental things like video games, perhaps it's more important than we give it credit for !