Thread: Legend of Condor Heroes (The Aftermath)

Default Legend of Condor Heroes (The Aftermath)

I have recently finished reading Legend of condor heroes and felt that while it is a good story, there is not much closure. The story end with Guo Jing and Huang Rong heading back to Mongolia after the death of Genghis Khan. I felt that after Guo Jing and Huang Rong have waited so long and went through so much to be with each other, there should be more closure where the lovers are concerned. When Return to Condor Heroes starts, 10 years have passed and the focus is no longer on them.

As such I have wrote a couple of fan fiction after the ending. There are a total of 7 chapters which will end with the birth of Guo Fu.
    Chapter 1 - A New Life at Peach Blossom Island

Guo Jing and Huang Rong left Mongolia after the death of Genghis Khan. 2 weeks later, in a boat back to the Peach Blossom Island, Huang Rong lies in Guo Jing’s arms, her head nestled in the crook of his neck, contented in the knowledge that she would be married to her “Jing Ke Ke” in a few days. In fact her father had already sent news via their white condors that her Sifu, Hung Chit Kung had arrived on the Island for their wedding. Huang Rong has been kept busy this past 2 days with the thoughts of what to cook for her Sifu on her wedding day. Not that she will be doing the cooking but rather the cooking will the done by the deft mutes on the island, she will supervise, but there also must be the meat “mantou” that Jing Ke Ke likes on the menu…. She thought with an impish smile. She turned her head from the crook of Guo Jing’s neck and was just about to tease him on his favourite dull food, when she noticed the kink on his brow, a sure indication that he is distressed about something.

Guo Jing’s heart ached when he remembered the last few hours, which he spent with Temujin, the man who played the role of “father” throughout his childhood years.

Huang Rong is aware of Guo Jing’s tendency to brood whenever there is something that he is unhappy about and decided to push him out from the doldrums. “Jing ke ke, what are you thinking?” “Hua Zhen?” She teases with a twinkle in her eyes. At one time, she had been jealous of the Princess, but not anymore as Guo Jing had proved to her once and again that she, Huang Rong has always been, and always will be the keeper of his heart.

“Rong Er…., you know you are the only girl in my heart” Guo Jing said tenderly when he realised that Huang Rong is not angry. “I was just thinking of my last conversation with Ta Han…. Although he is Mongol and I am Sung, he was still one the man I most respected in my heart. I have never known my father and he is the closest I have to a father……”. Guo Jing explained sadly to Huang Rong. “Rong Er, do you think Ta Sung will be safe now that Ta Han is dead?” Guo Jing further asked.

Huang Rong settled back into her favourite position in Guo Jing arms and ponders the question before answering. Guo Jing reflectively hugs her closer to him, as the wind blowing from the sea is getting cold. “Em…. I think we would have at least a few years of peace…” Huang Rong replied thoughtfully. “Why a few years” Guo Jing asked with a confused look. “I saw the looks that Gengkhis Khan’s eldest and second sons were giving each other at the funeral and I would safely say that Mongols will have their hand tied with civil wars soon to bother with Sung.” Huang Rong said thoughtfully.

Guo Jing’s response to Huang Rong’s statement is just to hug her tighter. Guo Jing believes his Rong Er, for this total trust is the basis of their relationship. However, although he is sad knowing that Genghis Khan’s sons will be fighting over the throne but he secretly hopes that it will be a prolong one so that the Sung people will have more time of peace. The two lovers just hugs and stare out to the sea for a long time.

After a while, Huang Rong asked blushingly “Jing Ke Ke, are you excited?” “Uh… Huh…, Rong Er, we are finally able to be together” Guo Jing smiles, kiss the top of her head and replied as he knows that she is referring to their impending wedding.

“Although, how I wish my mother and my five Sifu could lived to attend our wedding” Guo Jing further said, a shadow of sorrow passed over his face. “Jing Ke Ke, don’t be sad, our loved ones never really leaves us, they are always with us in memories, my dad speak to my mum all the time.” Huang Rong tried to console Guo Jing.

Guo Jing looks deep into Huang Rong’s eyes. He thought of all the things that had happened to him and Huang Rong in the short space of two and a half years. Some like the death of his mother and Sifus are painful but some he has got to be grateful for…. God has been kind, he has given Rong Er back to him. He can still remember and pain and panic he felt at Hua Shan when Rong Er wanted to pretend she had never known him at all, to pretend that their love never existed. Luckily, she forgave him in the end and now they will be married in a few days. Guo Jing looked down at the young woman in his arms, his soulmate…. and whispers “Rong Er, as long as I have you by my side, I am contented.”

The two lovers snuggled up together and sailed back to Peach Blossom Island to start their new life together.

End of Chapter 1

Default LOCH (The Aftermath - Chapter 2)

Chapter 2 : THE LEAVING OF HUANG YAO SHI

It was a clear spring sky, the winter has retreated and the beauty of spring had just arrived. The flowers on Peach Blossom Island were at their best, transforming what is already a beautiful place into a celestial island, filled with peach blossoms of different hues, singing birds accompanying in the rejoicing of arrival of Spring. Suddenly, the serene tune of flute breaks through the birds’ chirping, as if the birds had stopped for a while to listen to the beautiful sound as well. The clear tune of flute is heard coming from a clearing amongst the peach blossoms several metres away, a majestic tomb could be seen and in front of the tomb, a lone person garbed in green; It is Huang Yao Shi who is playing the flute to his beloved deceased wife, something he always do when he had things on his mind; it is his way of communicating with his wife.

Suddenly, he stopped and put his hand on the tomb and says, “Ah Hang, our Rong Er is now all grown up. It has been 8 months since she married Jing Er and perhaps now, is time for me to leave”. “I have full confidence in our son-in-law, he will take good care of her”, Huang Yao Shi chuckles and continued “Although, I sometimes feel he should take a firmer hand with her, but our son-in-law loves her too much to say no”.

“Father….. Are you complaining about me to Mother again?” a cheeky female voice could be heard from amongst the peach blossom. Huang Rong’s figure could be seen moments later emerging from the peach blossom formation. Huang Yao Shi looked at her with a father’s pride. Marriage agrees with her. It had further matured her beauty, a woman who is secured in the knowledge that she is loved. She also had a radiant glow about her, he notes…

Huang Yao Shi chuckles and answered, “Yes, telling your mother how you have been bullying Jing Er”. “Jing Ke Ke willingly collected that seashell from the bottom of the sea for me, the other day”. Huang Rong impishly defended herself, smiling when she remembered the fun she had with Jing Ke Ke at the coral bay near Peach Blossom Island two days ago. “You know you are a better swimmer, why make Jing Er collect the shell?” Huang Yao Shi queried with a raised eyebrow. “Well, I am…….” Huang Rong started to say but stopped and blushed instead.

“When are you going to tell him?” Huang Yao Shi asked with a knowing glint in his eyes. “How do you know?”, Huang Rong averted her eyes when she asked her father shyly, daughter and father know each other too well not to know what the other meant. “I am not only your father but also someone well versed in medicine, of course I know” Huang Yao Shi replied. “You also have a glow about you, I can remember your mother having the same glow when she was pregnant with you” Huang Yao Shi further says with a sad smile, remembering his deceased wife Ah Hang.

Huang Rong reflectively cradles her still fat stomach, already feeling a bond with the barely two months life in her womb. “I wonder if mother felt the same bond when she was pregnant with me?” Her reminiscent was broken by her father’s next sentence “I will be going away from Peach Blossom Island soon”. “Why? Huang Rong asked with a shocked _expression. “You will be having your own family soon, I will just be in the way.” Huang Yao Shi says sadly. “No, I want you here, the child will enjoy knowing his grandfather”, Huang Rong says heatedly, her eyes begging Huang Yao Shi to reconsider his decision. “I will know my grandson or granddaughter, I’ll visit. It’s just that I won’t be living on the island, I told you from the very beginning that when you get married, I will give the island to you” Huang Yao Shi explained to an emotional Huang Rong.

Huang Rong understood that it’s impossible to change her father’s mind once it is made up. By nature Huang Yao Shi is an introvert person, preferring to live alone, disliking others to disturb his peace, his strange behaviour earning him the nickname “Tung Xie”. These last few months had been a trial for him with so many people around, first there was her wedding to Jing Ke Ke with guests from Quan Zhen, her Sifu Hung Chit Kung, her martial brother Lu Zhen Feng and his family, Sha Ku and of course Gou Jing’s Eldest Sifu. Even though the guests from Quan Zhen and Lu Manor left soon after the wedding, Hung Chit Kung stayed for a good two months after the wedding. Ke Zhen Eh of course had remained permanently on the island on Guo Jing’s request. Sha Ku like Ke Zhen Eh is also now part of the family.

In addition, She and Guo Jing’s newlywed antics must have also driven him up the wall as well. She remembered with an impish smile of how Huang Yao Shi had given them a disapproval glance when she and Jing Ke Ke were caught playing catch in the peach blossom formation. She had never seen Jing Ke Ke blushed that furiously before. She chuckles at that thought. In fact, things gotten to the point that her father had come more and more frequently to her mother’s tomb for some peace and quiet and thus that’s how she knows where to look for him nowadays. For him to remain so long after she had gotten married is already a miracle. She remembered that he had once said shortly after Guo Jing won the duel for her hand with Ou Yang Ke that he would give them the island once she and Guo Jing had gotten married.

“You promised to visit?” She asked sadly, knowing that her father’s mind is already made up. “I’ll be back for a while after the child is born, I will be taking Sha Ku with me as well, it would be good for her to see more of the world”, Huang Yao Shi said evasively. The truth is, he is not too sure where he will be after he leaves peach blossom island thus not daring to promise his daughter anything. “Would you play a tune for me, you would not be able to do that much longer.” Huang Rong requested of her father. Huang Yao Shi nodded his head and complies; the sound of serene flute once again filled the air. Father and daughter spent the afternoon just being with each other, each knowing that it will most probably be a long time before they could do that again….

End of Chapter 2

Default LOCH (The Aftermath - Chapter 3)

Chapter 3 : A THIRD GENERATION OF GUO

The nighttime on Peach Blossom Island is the most peaceful and beautiful where Guo Jing is concerned. This is the time when he could sit out on the veranda of his and Huang Rong’s room and gazed onto the sky filled with stars. He loved Peach Blossom Island and considered it a heaven but when he gazed upwards into the sky at night, the sky filled with millions of stars, it reminded him of Mongolia, his birthplace and in a way brought him closer to his mother, whom he missed. The last time they came back from Mongolia, they had also brought his mother’s ashes to Peach Blossom Island. Now the ashes are buried together with his five Sifus. He can visit her grave anytime now but he still prefers gazing at the night sky, remembering the chats he had with his mother under the clear Mongolia sky.

From below, he could hear the chirping of insects and the faint fragrance of peach blossoms, a very calming and peaceful combination. He could hear Rong Er moving about in the room; just the thought of her brought a smile to his lips. After a while, he wondered why Rong Er hasn’t joined him out on the veranda like she does every night, a frown came to his brow when he remembered seeing her tired and preoccupied at dinner. Is her old wound bothering her? he wondered. He had always remembered the time when he came close to losing her and thus is sometimes over protective of her, driving his father-in-law up the wall with his fussing over his wife. Just when he thought he better checks on her, Huang Rong came out onto the veranda and sat down beside him. He took his wife into his arms and both gazed onto the night sky for a while.

After a while, Huang Rong asked, “Eldest Sifu is at the grave sites again?” Guo Jing nodded his head. They both know that Ke Zhen Eh likes to spend some time at the graves of his brothers and sister after dinner everyday. In this way, Ke Zhen Eh is very much like Huang Yao Shi, preferring to keep the memories of his martial brothers and sister alive by “talking” to them.

Looking out into the night sky, Huang Rong like Guo Jing enjoyed the time they spend in each other’s company after dinner each night. Huang Rong sighs in contentment in Guo Jing’s arms and nestled closer into her husband’s embrace. Guo Jing mistaken the sighs for something else queried anxiously “Are you ok, you seemed tired at dinner, is your old wound bothering you again?” Huang Rong rolled her eyes and said “Jing Ke Ke, of course I am ok, just a bit tired that’s all. Father will be irritated again if you are so anxious. I told you many times, my old wound has completely recovered” When she mentioned her father, she remembered the conversation she had with her father and a shadow of sadness comes onto her face. “Father is leaving Peach Blossom Island tomorrow morning, you know”. She quietly informs Guo Jing. “What! Why?” Guo Jing exclaimed. “You know my father, when he made up his mind, no one could changed it, he said a long time ago, he’ll give us the island when we are married and he’ll go some place else”. Huang Rong explained. “Should we send him off tomorrow then?” Guo Jing asked, resigned in the fact that Huang Yao Shi has decided to leave. “No, father didn’t want that.” Huang Rong replied knowing that the reason is that her father felt that it would be harder for him to leave if he saw Huang Rong tomorrow.

Both fell silent for a while, both lost in their own world, thinking of Huang Yao Shi. After a while, Huang Rong asked. “Jing Ke Ke, did you remember the conversation we had in Ming Xia Tao about children?” “Yes, Rong Er and I were thinking of how children comes about.” Guo Jing replied with a chuckle, thinking of how naïve and innocent they were back then. “Did you remember how I wanted someone to call me mom?” Huang Rong asked blushingly. “Yes, you were angry when I didn’t want to call you mom” Guo Jing replied, not really sure where the conversation is leading. “Do you know why I am always tired nowadays?” Huang Rong further probed with a frown, clearly irritated that her Jing Ke Ke is not taking the hint. “Do you need to rest now?” Guo Jing asked anxiously. Huang Rong rolled her eyes and says with a sigh “I’ll have someone who will call me mom in 8 months’ time”. Clearly, she needs to state things frankly with her husband. “And you’ll have someone who will call you dad”, she continues.

A look of wonder and joy comes over Guo Jing’s face, finally understanding what the conversation is all about. “You are pregnant? are you feeling ok?, is the baby doing well?, Does your father know?, Shall I tell Sifu now? What should we name the child?” Guo Jing said all in a rush. Quite an accomplishment for someone who seldom speaks more than one sentence at a time, Huang Rong thought and laughed at her husband’s concerned face. Guo Jing put his hand over Huang Rong’s still flat stomach in wonder and thinks “My child is in there…, a third generation of Guo and I am going to be a father!”

“To answer your question; Yes, I am pregnant, I am feeling fine, albeit a bit tired and the baby is ok. My father does know, you can tell your Sifu but not now, tomorrow perhaps and I’ll leave the child naming to you.” Huang Rong replied Guo Jing’s many questions and laughed, amused at her husband’s wonder and delight.

“Rong Er, we are going to have a child and I’ll teach the child all my martial arts” Guo Jing exclaims excitedly. “Guo Ta Xia (Hero Guo), your child is not going to be here for another 8 months, can you plan the martial arts regime later?” Huang Rong teases with a twinkle in her eyes, exasperated at her husband’s antics but his excitement in the new baby is infectious though and she caught herself thinking of all the things she’ll teach the child as well. “Come and hug me, you are making me tired with all your questions” Huang Rong implores. Guo Jing smiles tenderly and complied with his wife’s requests, he gathers her into his arms once again, and put one of his hands protectively over her stomach, feeling the flutter of life within her womb; his child and his wife, his everything…..

End of Chapter 3.

Default LOCH (The Aftermath - Chapter 4)

Chapter 4 : Hu Hai Yee Chun, Zhang Ma Ma (Hu Hai Fishing Village, Mother Zhang)

Peach Blossom Island, one of the three islands which dotted East side of present day He Bei, not too far away from the main land. In fact, one could most probably reach Peach Blossom Island from the main land with just a day’s boat ride. The Island is the closest to the Mainland amongst its cousin. Its surrounding sea is also one of the most fertile and therefore by right should be teaming with fishermen who made their living from the sea. However, that is not the case and it is not rare to see fishermen going out of their ways to avoid that island, preferring to cut a berth around the island to the others which are much farther away. What could be so terrifying about this island? Beautiful to the naked eye, the island is filled with peach blossoms, turning the island into a paradise of pink, white, yellow, purple…. The brilliant colours could be seen from a radius of ½ mile away, thus earning the island, its name; Peach Blossom Island. In actual fact, there is another name for this island though, one of which is much darker than the official name for it and normally whispered in hushed tones. Fishermen trembled in fear when the name peach blossom island is mentioned for they know it by another name. “Muo Tau” or Demon Island…….

Hu Hai Yee Chun is a fishing village with a busy town market and things are especially active at the market in the morning with traders yelling their fares and customers jostling for the best piece of wares, the freshest piece of meat and the liveliest of stocks. In the corner of the busy market, one could see a storyteller under a big tree, selling his wares, stories. Audiences sit under the shady tree and listened to his stories, paying a small fee when he finished. An elderly man, the Storyteller, enjoyed telling stories but had one rule, no interrupting while the story is on-going, a fact well known around town. Today, his story is especially engaging, if one could judge from the enthralled captive audience around him, from children as small as five to an old lady who looked to be about eighty.

“It is said that a demon lived on the Peach Blossom Island and guarded its territory jealously. A demon who is nine feet tall with breath of fire and prey on human flesh and devour human soul.”, the storyteller’s arms waved about madly as he tried to convey the demon’s terrifying nature to his listeners. A little child looked on verge of tears at his description. “The demon also had a daughter who is ugly as sin but could turn into a mermaid as beautiful as a Celeste female in order to entice men to the island for the demon to eat. Because of this, no one dares to venture into Peach Island Blossom waters”. The storyteller further said.

“If no one ever went near the island, how do they know this?” a clear female voice rang out. As one, all eyes turned towards the person who asked the question. A few gasps were heard when they laid eyes on the woman. Not because of how the woman dared to interrupt the Storyteller, who could be very sarcastic when he thinks people are being disrespectful of his stories but also because all were in awe of the beauty of the person who asked the question; A stunningly beautiful woman of perhaps 20, dressed in expensive yellow silk, the sun shinning off her glossy black hair. A heart shaped face and cute upturn nose frames her large brown intelligent eyes, with long sooty lashes. Her white flawless skin had a radiant glow, a dimple could be seen at the corner of her soft pink inviting lips, which is slightly curled up into an amused smile.

The males in the group looked with disappointment when they noted that her black glossy hair is swept up into an elegant chignon to symbolise a married woman. A further glance downwards revealed that not only is she married but pregnant as well. A woman of small stature, her pregnancy looks small… but perhaps everything about her looked petite because of the tall man at her side. Standing beside her with an arm protectively around her is a man of about six feet tall with wide shoulders. Rugged and strong looking. Other than his impressive stature, nothing is particularly outstanding about his features though. A pair of bushy eyebrows, a strong nose, wide lips with a stubborn jaw line. Nothing particularly special, except for a pair of big kind eyes, which at this moment is looking tenderly at the woman beside him. It is Huang Rong and Guo Jing who had come onto the main land to look for a midwife to aid Huang Rong during the birth of their first child. Although her pregnancy looks small, Huang Rong is actually nearing her birthing time and with no females on the island to help, the couple decided to get a midwife from the main land. They had been in town for a few days now and is currently on their way to look for Zhang Ma Ma, an experienced midwife who comes highly recommended by the all medicine shops in town.

The Storyteller, too mesmerized by her beauty to be upset at the interruption, cleared his dry throat and explained “Well…. Er…Em… everyone knows that fishermen frequently caught glimpses of this beautiful female frolicking in the seas close to Peach Blossom Island and it has to be a mermaid because she is like a fish in the water and a mere mortal would not be that at home in the dangerous sea. Last year, fishermen have also caught glimpses of her mate as well, a hideous water buffalo….”

“Hehehe……” Huang Rong laughed merrily, never expected someone to liken her Jing Ke Ke to a water buffalo. Her amused laughter sounds like clear tinkling of bells, further enchanting the crowd. Guo Jing frowned at his wife but he too laughed when he saw the humour in the situation. He was also slightly embarrassed that the nearby fishermen had seen him and Rong Er swimming in the sea. They loved the sea and spent hours playing in the waters, although they had stopped doing that when they found out that Rong Er is pregnant. As the fishermen dared not come within ¼ mile radius of the island, the “sightings” from far away had given rise to these “legends”, something he knew his father-in-law welcomed as it kept people away from the island.

“Rong Er, let’s go, we need to look for Zhang Ma Ma at the end of town” Guo Jing implores when he saw that his wife is going to argue with the Storyteller again. He knew she gets angry when she hear things about their beloved Peach Blossom Island but he also knew that it is something advocated by Huang Yao Shi to keep people off the island. “Jing Ke Ke, they just called you a ……”, Huang Rong left her sentence unfinished with an impish smile. “Well, I guess we better get a move on. The couple left the story telling group and heads off into the end of town. Whispers of “Who was that beautify lady?….. could be heard although no one really have an answer.

“Rong Er, do you think Zhang Ma Ma will be willing to come to our island with all those horrible stories about Peach Blossom Island?” Guo Jing asked, clearly worried that Zhang Ma Ma may refuse aid to Huang Rong due to the stories. “Well, I guest my “demon” child will just have to come out by herself then” Huang Rong replied with a laugh. “Rong Er, don’t joke, I am already worried as it is”. Guo Jing said with a frown. Huang Rong didn’t say anything anymore when she saw her husband’s face. Her husband seldom use that tone of voice with her, he loves her and caters to her every whim and fancy. She wondered what brought on that reprimanding tone.

However, it seems like her Jing Ke Ke is always uptight about something nowadays and would just keep quiet when she queried. He spent a lot of time at his mother’s grave these two months and she caught him giving her strange looks a couple of times as well. Jing Ke Ke also trained vigorously nowadays, increasing training time of 3 hours each day to 6 hours each day, his level of martial arts increasing rapidly as days go by. Huang Rong knew that Guo Jing likes training but to train so much means that he had something serious on his mind, which he doesn’t want to think nor talk about and this is her husband’s way of coping with it. She wondered what could it be but pushed it out of her mind when she felt a swift kick in her womb. “Ouch….” She reflectively put a hand to her stomach. “Jing Ke Ke, your baby is practicing Dragon Subduing Palm again” She informed her husband with a wee smile. “Rong Er, do you need to sit down?” Guo Jing asked with a concerned look. It has been a perfect pregnancy till 2 months ago. Rong Er glowed with health and had a vivacious appetite. Except for the first month, morning sickness had not been a problem as well. He had enjoyed seeing her blossomed and changed as his baby grew in her. He practically likes the time he walked in on her singing to their unborn child. Rong Er blushed when she saw him. After more than a year of marriage, his wife’s shyness around certain things still enchanted him. She talks to the baby at night too when she thinks he is sleeping, telling the baby about how wonderful her father is, Guo Jing had never felt so loved in his life before.

However, for the past two months, as she neared her time, Rong Er looked tired and his heart ached whenever he saw her rubbing the small of her back to ease the pressure his baby is putting on her small frame. More importantly, he is desperately afraid of something that he is not yet ready to tell his Rong Er…..

“Ouch……, another Palm Stance, Palm 15 this time, I think” Rong Er grimaced as the child kicked her again. “We better take a rest at the restaurant across the street” Guo Jing said anxiously. “Baby will kick all the time, if I take a rest every time she kicks, I will never get anything done” Rong Er teases with a gentle smile, trying to ease Guo Jing out of his worries. She had hoped for a boy that would be able to carry on the Guo’s name but Guo Jing told her a couple of months ago that he wanted a little girl that is as beautiful as her mother, thus they have been referring to the baby as she. Huang Rong chuckles, she knows she is pretty but thinks that her husband over exaggerates on her beauty sometimes. “Okay, we’ll rest for a while” she relented when she saw that the concerned look on her husband’s face. After a short rest at a restaurant nearby, the pair went off to Zhang Ma Ma’s house.

To their surprise, Zhang Ma Ma agreed quite readily and did not even blanched much when they mentioned Peach Blossom Island. She said yes even before Huang Rong and Guo Jing explained the myth surrounding their island for she could see the pleading in Guo Jing’s eyes when he begged her to go to the island. “This man loves his wife very much, and I don’t think demons would love so much” she thought with a smile. The other truth is also because the 70 year old Zhang Ma Ma never really believed all the Peach Blossom Island stories anyway and in fact as daughter to a fisherman had frequently played on the island as a child. She considered the stories myth and superstitions of fishermen. “However, there weren’t any peach blossoms on the island in those days”, she thinks to herself, not knowing that it’s because Huang Yao Shi only settled and planted the peach blossoms on the island about 30 years back.

“The couple looks and gestures with each other clearly signify a pair of lovers who are deeply in love. The wife had chid her husband gently a couple of times when she thinks he is being unreasonably over attentive but one could also see from her eyes that the wife knows she is being loved whole heartedly” She further thinks. That brought tears to Chang Ma Ma’s eyes for it brought to mind her beloved husband who passed away many years ago. Thus, she agreed to help Huang Rong during birth and the brilliant smile and gratitude on Guo Jing’s face says it all.

Two days later, the couple is back on Peach Blossom Island and this time with Zhang Ma Ma in tow. Ker Zhen Eh is also happy that they managed to find a midwife because Guo Jing’s constant worrying is driving him up the wall. After a week, they found that Zhang Ma Ma fits in quite well. Although all the servants on the island are deft mutes, Zhang Ma Ma managed to communicate with them via “simple sign language”. Ker Zhen Eh is also pleased as there is an additional person for him to talk to.

End of Chapter 4.

Default LOCH (The Aftermath - Chapter 5)

Chapter 5 : The Tenth Month – The time is near

The tenth month - two months before a new year comes around, winter-time for most of China. Being on the South-East Side of the Mainland, Peach Blossom Island does not have a real winter as the whole South area is quite warm compared to the rest of China. Nevertheless, the “winter” time on Peach Blossom Island is still pretty amazing. The slightly cool wind blowing gently through the great bamboo forest, gives forth a gentle rustling sound, providing a Zen-like feel to all. The falling petals of peach blossoms onto the ground transformed the area into a carpet of colours, adding to its celestial-like environment. Some Peach Blossoms on the island grew all year round though, regardless of seasons, a special type of hybrid, created by Huang Yao Shi many years ago. Like what Huang Rong said to Guo Jing when he first visited the island “My father’s botanical abilities are the first in the world”. Huang Rong admired the beauty of her home with pride. Her child will be born here as well, she thought with a smile. With the birthing time less than a week away, Zhang Ma Ma had begun to prepare for the birth of the baby. Guo Jing had gone to bamboo forest to practice his martial arts this morning but has yet to return. Huang Rong began to fret and could not help but complained to her unborn child. “Your father is behaving weirder and weirder this past two weeks, not speaking much, even to your mother”. Suddenly, Huang Rong stops and said “Your father’s back” and turned around to face her husband who just entered the room. Them being so much in love is a very special thing, one could feel the presence of the other…,.

Guo Jing stood at the entrance to their room and lovingly smiles at her. He walks over to the window and the couple just enjoyed being together for a while. Huang Rong looks up to her husband after a while and noticed for the first time the haggard look he had on his face. “Is he sick?”, she wondered with a frown to her lovely brows. “Jing Ke Ke, you have to tell me what is wrong” she whispers gently, a tear flowed from the corner of her left eye. “You are scaring me”. She further implores.

“You know?” Guo Jing asked shockingly for he thought he kept his worries well to himself. “Of course I know, I am your wife. You have been practicing harder and harder each day, as if you wanted to drive yourself to exhaustion. You have been visiting Mother’s grave more and more frequently and you stares off into space sometimes when you thought I am not looking” Huang Rong further says, her silent tears turning into sobs for she is very worried of what is going on. “Rong Er, don’t cry, I didn’t mean to worry you” Guo Jing begs and holds his wife tighter in his arms.

“The truth is, Rong Er, I am scared, very scared. I have never been so afraid in my life before.”. Guo Jing whispered in a tortured voice to his wife and fiercely hugged her to his chest, as if he is afraid she would disappear. “Why?”, Huang Rong asked with a puzzled frown. “I am afraid of losing you”. Guo Jing said with a broken voice. A tear trickled down and dropped onto Huang Rong’s face. “Why would you lose me?” Huang Rong looked up and traced her husband’s familiar face lovingly with her hand, brushing away a tear, which lingered there. A strong face, her husband has, she notes, not handsome but strong. But now, she could detect a fragile, delicate fear on his face, a tremor within his voice.

“Your mom died when you were born and left your dad alone in this world. I am afraid of losing you when the baby comes” Guo Jing said emotionally, feeling a huge weight lifted from his shoulders after saying it. This is what he has been so depressed about for the past two months. A thousand things which can go wrong with the birth of their child had gone though his mind. By nature, he is not a very imaginative person but he found he could be very imaginative where his wife and child are concerned. Knowing that Huang Rong’s mom died at childbirth did not help the matter and in fact he had woken up in cold sweats on some nights, still gripped in a nightmare where he lost Rong Er to childbirth. As result, he forced himself to train to exhaustion so that he could sleep at night. As he did not want to burden Rong Er with his worries, he poured them out to his dead mother and prayed for her to bless Rong Er and the baby.

“Sah Ke Ke, you will not lose me, I promised”. Huang Rong said tearfully with a rue smile on her face. She is so relieved that this is all that had been borthering him and not something else. “My mother died when she gave birth to me because she has already damaged her chi when she wrote Jiu Yin Zhen Jing the second time around, the birth then further exhausted her, thus that is why she died”. Huang Rong explained. “I am very healthy, I would not die and leave you” She explains, laying her head down on his chest, comforted by the deep breathing of her husband, an indication that he is listening and calming down. “You would not leave me alone in this world?, You have promised never to leave me again, you know” Guo Jing whispers. “Uh huh… I promised, the three of us would always be together, never to part, you, me and the baby”. Huang Rong reassures her husband gently. Her husband is a strong proud man and it pained her to see him this vulnerable, the raw love and distress on his face, open for all to see. “No matter what happens, I will always be at your side. You are mine and I am yours….” Huang Rong whispers into his strong chest. There was a sharp intake of breath at her words and Guo Jing hugs his Rong Er tighter in his arms.

End of Chapter 5.

Peachblossom
    Unregistered

Wow... all I can say is... wow... very touching, and full of tender feelings and love. I love it with all my heart, Steffy.

GJ's love and care for his wife is so touching. Their deep love for one another, their oneness, is so real, and beautiful.

Your writing is wonderful. It is full of sensitivity, insight, and sincerity. You portray very well and realistically, human feelings and thoughts; and your added details of the scenaries and other relevant info here and there are engaging. I especially love the way you describe GJ's and WY's tender talks and embraces, which makes us feel deeply their love for one another.

Thank you, Steffy, I cannot say enough how much I liked the overall feeling your story gave me.

I also wanted to say, I am very happy to find that you joined us here. Now we have one more valued member who contributes very insightfully and creatively. I also find your cute name nicely pairing with your cute avatar.

Dear Peachblossom,

Thanks for your kind words. Really appreciate your views on my writing. I am still very new at it and there is a lot of room for improvement (especially my grammar, it's really bad)

Actually, the fan fic story on LOCH is actually easier to write than what I have attempted in the past because after reading the book and seeing so many adaptations of the story, you feel as if you really know and understand the characters thus writing about them seemed a lot easier. A lot of times, the storyline actually developed itself when I asked "How would GJ feel about this?" or "How would HR react to this".

I have read the book and have seen 3 adaptation of LOCH (82, 94, 2003, missed the Yang Pei Pei version though) and each time, I feel depressed at the end of LOCH. I felt depressed because there isn't much closure for the couple who waited so long to be with each other. Hence the fantasy of what life would be like for them in time of peace, thus the stories.

I have also finished Chapter 6 : The Birth of Guo Fu and will be posting it up soon.

As for my log in name, I initially chosed Steph but someone is already using it, thus the steffy. As for the Avatar, I am a fan of Harry Porter and is so happy that the next Harry Porter flim is around the corner.

Gotta go, talk to you soon.

Steph

Chapter 6 : I Could Not Live Without You

It was a clear cloudless sky on Peach Blossom Island tonight. The insects, which usually chirped away in the night, have slowly decreased as the night cool, all burrowed deep underground to escape the night frost. With the moon casting its pale light over the island, the lapping of gentle waves against the shore, everything looks quiet and peaceful… but not all mind are at rest.

Guo Jing, lay in bed, events of the day still running through his head. All his muscles are sore and tired from the training he has undertaken earlier in the day but his restless mind just refused to cooperate. Beside him Huang Rong lies in deep sleep, her head on his chest, snuggled as close to her husband as her heavily pregnant stomach permitted, to keep out the cool night air. Guo Jing gently pulled himself up to a sitting position. His movement caused Huang Rong’s head to slide down slightly so that she is now sleeping on his tummy instead; this earned a small whimper of protest from his still sleeping wife. Guo Jing smiled at that and just tenderly stroked her face to reassure her. The corner of Huang Rong’s lips curled up into a sleepy smile, but did not open her eyes. Guo Jing knows his wife is still sleeping, most likely having a good dream, he thought. Looking down at his wife, the pale moonlight illuminating her face, Guo Jing marvelled not for the first time of how such a wonderful girl like Rong Er could fall in love with a simple man like him. Sometimes, he is convinced he must have done something really good in his previous lives to deserve his Rong Er.

Huang Rong gave a sleepy sigh and curled closer to her husband. Guo Jing, afraid that she might be cold, tucked the blanket snugly around her. On some nights, he is contented with just watching her sleep. Her unbelievably long curly lashes, delicate looking nose, pouty pink lips… . He chuckles and thought how he could have mistaken her for a male beggar the first time he met her. He further laughed softly to himself when he remembered his own reaction when she finally revealed herself to be a girl; the dryness of his mouth, the pounding in his chest and he had to rub his eyes a couple of times to convinced himself that she is real. He fell in love with his wife then, instinctively knowing that he had found his soul mate, the other part of himself. That love had only continued to deepen with time. He acknowledged that his wife is beautiful, smart and witty but he also loves the other side of her; wilful, stubborn, bratty… but to him, It’s a complete package that made up the perfect woman - his Rong Er.

What would he do if he lost her? He felt the familiar tightening in his chest when he asked the same question he asked himself many times this past two months. The truth is he dare not think what would happen if he lost Rong Er. He thought he lost her once in Mongolia and the anguish he felt then was unbelievable. He did not speak to anyone for months and wandered around aimlessly on the prairie with just the white condors and small red horse as companions. It’s only the thought of leaving his mother alone that prevented him from attempting to join Rong Er in the afterworld. Even now, the memory of that pain long ago is like a knife in his heart.

Rong Er had calmed him down earlier today with her explanation on her mother’s demise. In the day of light, that explanation seemed sufficient and reasonable but now in the dead of night, Guo Jing felt his fear rising again like bile in the back of his throat. He looked over to the corner of the room; to the bamboo crib they had made for the baby and could not help but shuddered at a coldness, which suddenly came over his heart. “Rong Er, don’t leave me, I could not live without you,” he whispered softly to his sleeping wife.

Early next day, the sun is king of the sky again, its golden rays reflecting off the dews in the nearby Bamboo forest, looked like twinkling gems ready to be plucked from the green bamboo leaves. A little way off, deeper into the bamboo forest, the sound of someone hard at martial arts training could be heard.

Meanwhile, in the great bamboo house, built long ago next to the peach blossom formation by Huang Yao Shi for added security, Huang Rong could be seen hard at work in the house kitchen. One could see meat mantous arranged neatly on the counter, ready to be steamed. Zhang Ma Ma, who came into the kitchen to prepare the herbs that Huang Rong will need during confinement, is not astonished to see her near the stove, a smudge of flour on her nose.

Zhang Ma Ma smiles indulgingly and said “Guo Fu Ren, making meat mantou for Guo Ta Yeh again?” “Zhang Ma Ma, how many times do I have to remind you, call me Rong Er” Huang Rong paused in the mist of bun making. “Don’t change the subject, you know you are not supposed do work when you are this close to birthing time”, Zhang Ma Ma chided. “It is just a couple of mantous and Jing Ke Ke likes them” Huang Rong smiles pleadingly at Zhang Ma Ma. Huang Rong likes cooking and especially for those whom she loves. She especially likes to create new dishes but found that no matter what exotic food she cooked, ultimately, her husband’s favourite food is still the plain old fashioned meat mantou. Thus, she had gotten into the habit of making the mantous and taking them to Guo Jing who trains in the Bamboo forest each morning. However, Zhang Ma Ma had advised a few days ago that she is not to do any housework so close to birthing time. Guo Jing had taken Zhang Ma Ma’s advise to heart and forbade his wife from going anywhere near the kitchen, giving orders to the deft mute servants to “shoo” his wife off whenever she is found loitering around the kitchen. Guo Jing then got up early each morning to make sure that breakfast is prepared prior to going off to the bamboo forest so that his wife doesn’t have an excuse to cook. However old habits dies hard and Huang Rong managed to charm the deft mute servants to allow her to make a few mantous today, only to be caught by Zhang Ma Ma.

“Ai…. Zhang Ma Ma, Rong Er thinks that we starve her Jing Ke Ke, thus Rong Er must make extra food for him,” Ker Zhen Eh who came into the kitchen for breakfast teased affectionately. “Ta See Fu (Eldest Teacher), that’s not the case, I just thought that Jing Ke Ke hasn’t had meat mantou for a couple of days now, thus I am making just a few for him – see I am just making ten, then I’ll be out from the kitchen” Huang Rong gave Ker Zhen Eh a melting smile. “Zhang Ma Ma, I think we’ll let her off just this once” Ker Zhen Eh said with a twinkle in his eyes. “Hard to believe that this is the same person who called me “Siau Yau Nee” (demon girl) a few years ago” Huang Rong thought gratefully. These past few months, with Huang Yao Shi gone from the island Ker Zhen Eh had stepped into the role as surrogate father to Huang Rong.

Less than an hour later, Huang Rong is on her way to the Bamboo Forest. Weaving her way through the peach blossom formation, she silently scolded her father. The peach blossom formation created to confuse and keep out intruders could be a nuisance to navigate when you are nine months pregnant and can’t see your toes every well, she thought ruefully to herself. She sometimes felt like a great ugly buffalo nowadays but is not too worried about it when she remembered the barely contained smouldering looks that Guo Jing gave her this morning. Looking down at her very pregnant stomach, Huang Rong laughed and said to her unborn child “And I used to think that you will be popping out from a stone. If you are, your father won’t be so worried” She knows that she had yet to put Guo Jing’s mind completely at rest with her explanation on child birth the yesterday. “Urgh….” Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain from her womb. She stopped for a while, rested her hand on one of the solid bamboo on the fringe of the bamboo forest and circulated a chi around her womb. The pain went away as suddenly as it had come. “Have I exhausted myself from making all those mantous? She reminded herself not to alarm Jing Ke Ke with this, knowing her husband will nag at her if he knew.

Huang Rong, who is in her first pregnancy, has no way of knowing that the pain she felt a while ago is actually the first stage of labour contraction. Zhang Ma Ma had just told her that she would feel pain when the baby is coming but as the pain left after a few minutes, she thought that she must have exhausted herself while making mantou and pushed the matter out from her mind. She walked carefully amongst the bamboos, making her way into the clearing where Guo Jing practiced martial arts each morning. As she neared the clearing, she could feel the “Tsang Fung” (Power from the palm stance) and she circulated a chi to protect the baby in her womb from the force of Guo Jing’s dragon subduing palm.

“Jing Ke Ke…. Rong Er brought you mantous” Huang Rong called out in a loud voice to announce her presence to her husband. Guo Jing who heard his wife’s voice stopped his training immediately, feelings of pleasure, irritation and concern washed over him. Pleasure at seeing his wife but also irritated and concerned because his very pregnant wife who is not supposed to slave over a hot stove for mantous also just walked over to the bamboo forest in her state and exposed herself to the danger of being hurt by his powerful “Tsang Fung”.

“Rong Er, you know you are not supposed to do this, what if my tsang fung hurts you?” Guo Jing said in an irritated voice to his wife when she nears. “Hurt your precious baby you mean, don’t worry, I have circulated chi to protect the baby, come and have some mantous” Huang Rong said cheerfully, knowing her husband is all bluster where she is concerned. Seeing the cheerful smile on her face, Guo Jing reined in his worries and sat down on a large rock besides her. “How do you get past Zhang Ma Ma and Ta See Fu?” Guo Jing asked. “I just woke up earlier than them and was nearly done when they arrived in the kitchen”. Huang Rong replied impishly and took the plate of mantous out from the basket to give to her husband. “Don’t do this anymore, ok?” Guo said in a stern voice but could not resist the mantous. Huang Rong stuck her tongue out at him. He took a hot mantou from his wife, shook his head at her antics and chewed into the delicious mantous, eating with relish. “Rong Er, you make the best mantous in the world,” Guo Jing said in between mouthfuls. “You said that every time you eat mantous, See Fu thinks you are mad for liking the mantous so much” Rong Er laughed thinking of their See Fu, Hung Chit Kung who is always disgusted at Jing Ke Ke’s fascination with the meat mantous, preferring it above all her other delicious exotic food. “Here, let me wipe the sweat off you while you eat, you trained too hard sometimes” Huang Rong tenderly wiped the sweat off Guo Jing’s brow. She chattered away animatedly as well, telling her husband how she charmed the servants, Zhang Ma Ma and Ker Zhen Eh into letting her make the mantous. Guo Jing answered her in between mouthfuls and the couple enjoyed each other’s company and a quiet morning in the bamboo forest.

“Urgh…..”, suddenly Huang Rong clutched her stomach as another sharp pain rip through her. “Rong Er! What’s Wrong?” Guo Jing dropped the mantou he had been eating in alarm when his wife yelled out in pain, colours draining out from his face. “Rong Er! Rong Er! tell me what’s wrong, did my tsang fung hurt you just now?” He further said anxiously when Huang Rong did not reply but instead circulated a chi around her womb again. The pain went away after a short while. “It’s ok, Jing Ke Ke, it’s not your tsang fung, I felt the same pain a while ago when I was coming here, anyway, the pain’s gone now” Huang Rong tried to appease her husband but know that it is not going to work when she saw the look on Guo Jing’s face. “IT HAPPENED A WHILE AGO AND YOU DID NOT TELL ME!!!” Guo Jing started to yell at his wife but stopped when he saw her face, devoid of colour, ring of blue around her lips and tears had started to form in her eyes. The pain must have been really intense, he thought.

“Rong Er, you must tell me everything, I am your husband” Guo Jing said gently, brushing away a tear that had started to slip down Huang Rong’s face. “I didn’t want to worry you, you have been worried enough about me as it is, you’ll make yourself ill with the stress” Huang Rong said tearfully. “Rong Er…” Guo Jing said, finally realised that as much as he had tried to shield his wife from his worries, Rong Er had also tried as hard to protect him from hers as well. Gathering his wife gently into his arms, Guo Jing said with a soft sigh “Rong Er, I can’t help it, you are my wife. If I had my way, I would most probably wrap you and our child up in velvet glove and not let anything bad happen to either of you but as I can’t do that, you’ll just have to put up with my fretting and fussing over you.” “hehehe….. Wrap me and the baby up like the meat mantous?” Huang Rong giggled at the image Guo Jing put in her head.

“Urgh!” Suddenly, Huang Rong yelped in pain again. “Rong Er, another pain attack?” Guo Jing queried anxiously. “Uh….Huh…” Huang Rong replied, her eyes glazing over with the pain. This time the pain is accompanied with a sudden tightening in her womb. Understanding dawned on her that this might be the on-start of childbirth. “Jing Ke Ke, I think the baby is coming,” She said weakly through the pain. “HERE? NOW?” Guo Jing panicked at his wife words. “Er….. Er….. Er…. What are we going to do, Rong Er…. Rong Er….” Huang Rong smiled weakly. Her husband had a tendency to stutter when he is panicked about something. A brave man, her husband, not many things could unsettled him, Huang Rong remembered that the last time she saw him panic was at Hua Shan when she, overcome with jealousy had proposed for them to pretend that they do not know each other. “Jing Ke Ke, calm down, if it is childbirth, Zhang Ma Ma said it takes some time,” Huang Rong said in a soft voice to calm her husband down. “YOU MEAN YOU WILL BE IN THIS PAIN FOR SOME TIME!” Guo Jing yelled, a nearby bird is startled into flight at the commotion.

“Er…. Jing Ke Ke, I don’t know what happen but a flood of water just came out of me. I think we better go back to the house to look for Zhang Ma Ma” Huang Rong suddenly said as her water bag broke and a fresh wave of pain came over her. Huang Rong had never seen her Jing Ke Ke acted so fast but so tender before. He swept her up into his arms gently and uses his body lightness skill (tsing kung) to proceed back to the house. He navigated the bamboo and peach blossom formation efficiently with speed which could rival Huang Yao Shi but held Huang Rong so steadily and securely in his arms that she hardly felt any movement at all. “Jing Ke Ke’s martial arts has gone up a whole new level,” Huang Rong thought with a smile through the haze of pain.

“ZHANG MA MA, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH RONG ER!!!” Guo Jing yelled when they are near the house. Zhang Ma Ma came running out of the house at the commotion. She took one look at Huang Rong’s drenched skirt, pale face; realised that Huang Rong is in labour and took over like a general on duty. “Put her on the bed right now! Get the hot water, cloth, scissors, herbs that I have prepared!” She barked the orders to Guo Jing and Ker Zhen Eh. She signalled for one of the female deft mutes servant to follow her to Huang Rong’s room. “But.. but.. She is in so much pain, is it normal?” Guo Jing asked, still rooted to the ground. “YES, PAIN IN CHILDBIRTH IS NORMAL AND I MEAN NOW!” Zhang Ma Ma barked and Guo Jing and Ker Zhen Eh ran in different directions to do her biddings.

Guo Jing gently put Huang Rong down on their bed and raggedly said, “Rong Er, you’ll be all right, you’ll be all right, you’ll be all right…” Not really sure whether he is reassuring his wife or himself with the words. Eyes closed, sweat drenched, Huang Rong nodded her head and held on tight to Guo Jing’s hand. The pain is coming on much frequently and stronger now. Guo Jing sat on the bed besides his wife, holding her hand, his face devoid of any colour and felt as if he is living out his most feared nightmare. He has no idea that his wife would be in so much pain and a Rong Er in pain drove him out of his mind. He wished he had put aside his embarrassment over “woman issues” and just asked Zhang Ma Ma to brief him on childbirth issues earlier. “Jing Ke Ke, don’t worry, the pain has gone away temporarily now” Huang Rong tried to ease her husband’s worries when the contraction pains end. She had begun to catch on now. She realised that there will be stages of pain, followed by temporary relief, followed by another bout of pain.

“You are ok now? You will be ok till the baby comes?” Guo Jing asked hopefully. Huang Rong, shakes her head and answered with a smile “I think the pain comes in stages, each stronger than the last but there will be periods of relief” “You… You…. Will be in more pain? Isn’t there something Zhang Ma Ma could give you for the pain, how about some Nine Flower Reveal Jade Pill?” Guo Jing asked dazedly, not really sure if he could live through this experience. “Sah Ke Ke, I am in labour, not seriously injured by an martial artist,” Huang Rong said, giving her husband a weak smile.

“Guo Ta Yeh, you have to leave the room now” Zhang Ma Ma who just came into the room, with the female servant, armed with all the supplies that Ke Zhen Eh gave her at the door said. Guo Jing just gave her a pleading look and shakes his head, unwilling to leave Huang Rong. “Males can’t stay around, this is childbirth, woman’s matters. Don’t worry, she’ll be ok, millions of woman go through this, it’s part of life” Zhang Ma Ma tried to reassure Guo Jing. Huang Rong gave Guo Jing’s hand a squeeze and nodded to him, indicating that he should follow Zhang Ma Ma’s advise. Guo Jing shakes his head and said “Rong Er, I want to stay with you. “Be good, follow Zhang Ma Ma’s advise, go have a drink with Ta See Fu, I’ll be ok, me and the baby will see you soon” Huang Rong implores. Guo Jing reluctantly leaves their room with a last look at his wife. Zhang Ma Ma closed the door gently but firmly after him.

Ker Zhen Eh was hovering outside the door when Guo Jing exits the room and ask “How’s Rong Er, is the baby coming?” Guo Jing just shakes his head without replying and sat down on a chair outside the bedroom. Ker Zhen Eh wanted to press the matter but stopped when he saw how pale and worried Guo Jing is, he too sat down on another chair, teacher and student sat without talking. A short time later, a small scream was heard from inside the room and Guo Jing jumped up from the chair and started to bang on the bedroom door “Rong Er, are you ok? Answer me!” Ker Zhen Eh tried to pull Guo Jing away from the door but to no avail. “Guo Ta Yeh, I am doing my job the best I can, please don’t add to my worries, I have to take care of Guo Fu Ren, there will be a lot more screaming as the labour pains get more intense” Zhang Ma Ma’s very irritated voice could be heard from the bedroom.

Guo Jing sat down in a stupor, his hand white around the knuckles where he gripped on the chair. He winced every time there is a whimper of pain from the bedroom. The whimpers will be followed by long silences, of which his mind would play tricks on him. At least, when Rong Er is whimpering in pain, he knows that she is alive, with the silence….. He pushed the thought from his mind. He resisted the urge to knock the door down with a dragon subduing palm stance and rush to Rong Er’s side. He took Zhang Ma Ma’s warning to heart and is scared that any hasty action from him may caused Zhang Ma Ma’s concentration to waver, which might result in a compromise to Rong Er’s health. “Ta See Fu, is all this screaming normal for labour?” Guo Jing asked Ker Zhen Eh. Ker Zhen Eh took pity on his student and replied “Why yes, I remembered when my Jiang Nan neighbour gave birth, the screams could be heard two doors away, her screams were much worse compared to Rong Er”. The truth is, Ker Zhen Eh had never witnessed anyone giving birth before and had only said that to reassure Guo Jing. Guo Jing nodded his head but the worry for Huang Rong did not go away.

End of Chapter 6

Chapter 7 : My Little Guo Fu

The sun has started to dip into the horizon as the day comes to an end. Its cousin, the moon is eagerly awaiting for its turn to dance in the sky. Huang Rong had been in labour for nearly 10 hours and Guo Jing had been keeping vigil for 10 hours. He hasn’t eaten or spoken a word, alternating between pacing up and down the hallway and sitting down in a stupor, next to the bedroom. The screams coming out from the room has been escalating as well. Ker Zhen Eh who tried to stay out of the way the best he could, noticed that Guo Jing had bitten himself on the lips at the last scream from the bedroom. Guo Jing did not seem to notice the pain, but just absently wiped the trail of blood from his lips. Suddenly, a high pitch scream rendered through the air and calls of “Jing Ke Ke, I want Jing Ke Ke” came from the bedroom. Huang Rong who is exhausted from the on-going 10-hour labour is about to give up and wanted her husband to be with her. Guo Jing ran up to the bedroom door at this and said “Rong Er! Rong Er! I am here”. Replies of “Jing Ke Ke, I want you Jing Ke Ke” could be heard weakly from the bedroom.

“Zhang Ma Ma, I can’t stand this anymore, let me in, I want to be with Rong Er” Guo Jing begs. “I don’t care that men are not allowed in during childbirth. It’s my wife! It’s my child! I just want to be with Rong Er….please……” Guo Jing further begs in a tortured voice, the composure that he had reined in for so long is at breaking point. A tear slid down his cheek. The bedroom door is suddenly opened by the deft mute servant girl. Guo Jing ran into the room and head for the bed. He nearly broke down again when he saw Huang Rong. Fatigue and pain is written all over her face. He gripped her hand and said “Rong Er, don’t worry, Jing Ke Ke is here at your side, never to leave”. Huang Rong managed to give him a weak smile before the next wave of contraction hits her. Her scream of pain tears at Guo Jing’s heart. Zhang Ma Ma who is at the foot of the bed explained, “She is too small and the baby is big, that’s why she is having so much problem and experiencing so much pain”. “What can we do?” Guo Jing asked, his eyes begging Zhang Ma Ma to do something. “Nothing, she has to do it on her own, she has to push the baby out, we could only encourage her” Zhang Ma Ma said apologetically. At Zhang Ma Ma’s words, Guo Jing starts to yell encouragements to his wife. “Rong Er! Push, do it for me, do it for us, Rong Er! Push!” Huang Rong squeezed his hand in answer and started to push, tyring to coax the stubborn baby out. “Rong Er! You have to do it, You must! Remember your promise, I can’t leave without you…. I do not want to live without you” Guo Jing further implores. Tears slid down from his face and dropped onto their entwined hands. Huang Rong looked at her husband with understanding through the haze of pain.

Guo Jing’s begging and encouragement began to work as Rong Er began to work with renewed strength. “I can see the baby’s head, push Guo Fu Ren! Push” Zhang Ma Ma said excitedly. Minutes later, a baby’s loud protesting lusty cry could be heard. “It’s a girl, a big healthy girl,” Zhang Ma Ma announced. “Rong Er, we have a girl, a little girl,” Guo Jing sobbed with happiness and relief. Huang Rong, too is crying at the emotional ordeal. “Zhang Ma Ma, I want to see her,” Huang Rong said, holding out her arms for the baby. “We’ll get the baby and you clean up first, then you can see the baby” Zhang Ma Ma said, her eyes suspiciously watery. “Guo Ta Yeh, would you mind leaving the room while we clean mother and baby up” Zhang Ma Ma who is a very traditional midwife tried to get Guo Jing to leave the room again. Guo Jing stubbornly shakes his head no, as if he is afraid his wife and child would disappear if he leaves the room. Zhang Ma Ma gave up and sigh “ok, you can help Tao Fa with the cleaning up of the baby and I’ll attend to Guo Fu Ren” Zhang Ma Ma said and handed the baby to Tao Fa, the deft mute servant. Guo Jing reluctantly leaves his wife side and followed the servant to the basin, which had been filled with warm water. The baby protested loudly with a piercing cry when she is lowered into the water for her first bath. A very emotional Guo Jing could not stop his tears when he laid eyes for the first time on his baby. Tao Fa gently wrapped the baby in towel when she finished and handed the baby to her father. Guo Jing tenderly cradles his firstborn and carried her over to her mom’s waiting arms.

Both father and mother laughed and cried emotionally as they looked down at their precious bundle, which at this moment is squirming and yelling for milk. “Shh…. Don’t be so impatient” Huang Rong scolds gently and tries feeding the baby. The baby latched on instinctively and Huang Rong grimaced slightly with pain as her baby feeds enthusiastically. Guo Jing looked down tenderly at his wife feeding the baby marvelled at the resemblance between mother and daughter. He may be speaking from a father’s point of view but he knows that their daughter will grow up to be a beauty like her mother someday. Like her mother, his daughter has phoenix shaped eyebrows, curly lashes framed a pair of beautiful eyes, which at the moment is closed in contentment as she feeds. However, he notes with pleasure that she has his generous wide lips and stubborn jaw line. His chest swelled with pride at he looks down on his two greatest treasures.

He was so absorbed in his admiration his wife and child that he nearly missed Zhang Ma Ma indication to him that she wanted to talk silently with him. He walked over to the corner of the room where the midwife is and said “Zhang Ma Ma, thank you, thank you”, he whispers, gratitude shinning from his eyes. “Guo Ta Yeh, there is a problem”, Zhang Ma Ma said softly, concern in her eyes. Guo Jing felt his chest pounding again at her words, his eyes opened in alarm he asked “What…. Wh.. What is wrong?”. “Guo Fu Ren is still bleeding too much, the herbs are not working” Zhang Ma Ma informed Guo Jing. “How… How… can this be, is Rong Er still in danger?” Guo Jing asked fearfully, a pain shoots through his heart at Zhang Ma Ma hesitant nod. “Sometimes, if the birth had been very traumatic, the mother bleeds profusely after birth an… and… sometimes that leads to death” Zhang Ma Ma explained to a stunned Guo Jing.

“Jing Ke Ke, something is wrong isn’t it” Huang Rong who had finished feeding the baby queried after she had handed the already sleeping baby to Tao Fa. Her husband’s face is like a sheet of white paper tinged with grey. “I am bleeding too much, aren’t I” she asked softly, already knowing the answer before Zhang Ma Ma could answer. She could feel her strength ebbing away and had she not been so elated over the baby, she would have known earlier.

A shaking Guo Jing sat down heavily on the bed and said “Rong Er… I’ll channel the chi into your body using Jiu Yin Zhen Jing’s cure recovery to stop the bleeding” Guo Jing eased Huang Rong into a sitting position and tried to channel chi into her body to stop the bleeding but he felt as if the chi is going into an empty vessel. There was no circulating chi as there was too much blood leaving Huang Rong’s body via the womb. After several tries, Huang Rong could see that Guo Jing’s mounting frustration and pain would cost fire-deviation (zhou Huo Ret Mou) and stopped her husband. “Jing Ke Ke, you’ll only hurt yourself, don’t do this anymore” she said sadly.. “Rong Er.. You can’t die, I won’t let you die” Guo Jing said fiercely, refusing to give up.

“NO ONE IS GOING TO DIE!” A booming voice was heard and Huang Yao Shi walked into the room. “Father-in-law!” Guo Jing stopped his chi channelling and called out in surprise. Huang Rong gave her father a weak smile of welcome. Before he left a few months ago, Huang Yao Shi promised his daughter that he’ll tried to make it back to Peach Blossom Island for the birth of his first grandchild and he is glad that he made it back home on time. Upon arriving, he had sense something was amiss from the servants’ expression, only to be confirmed by Zhang Ma Ma who had left the bedroom briefly to explain the situation to an anxious Ke Zhen Eh.

Huang Yao Shi walked to the bed and gave Guo Jing a bottle of medicine. “Let Rong Er eat two of the pills, then try to channel chi into her body again”. Guo Jing followed his advice and is surprised to feel a responding circulating energy when he channel chi into her body a while later. He looked at his father-in-law questioningly but is comforted because his wife’s face is already showing hints of colour, indication that bleeding had slowed and recovery is taking place. Zhang Ma Ma checked a while later, confirming much to Guo Jing’s relief that the bleeding had slowed to the normal post-delivery status and things had returned to normal.

“This medicine is something which I had worked on for a number of years after Ah Hang’s death” Huang Yao Shi explained to Guo Jing. “I tried to save Rong Er’s mother with the same method you did a while ago. I, a martial artist with great internal power found out too late that there is difference between saving a person who had been injured by a martial artist and a woman dying from childbirth. While the healing chi circulated well to help the person injured by martial art, it just makes matter worse for a woman dying from childbirth as the chi keep escaping via the womb, pushing out an even massive amount of blood and as result I failed and Ah Hang died”. “If you would have continue with the method a couple of more times, it would have hasten the blood flow and Rong Er would have died from blood lost within an hour” He informed a horror stricken Guo Jing. “The medicine which I gave you formed a block within the womb, allowing the healing chi to do its work”. “However, while it saves Rong Er, she has lost too much blood earlier and this has permanently weaken her womb. It might make conceiving a second child much more difficult” Huang Yao Shi warned the couple.

Guo Jing just held his wife tightly, emotionally, not paying much attention to Huang Yao Shi’s words beyond the fact that he had reassured them that Rong Er is out of danger. He had come too close to losing his wife. He didn’t care if they never have another baby. In fact, secretly, he is kind of relieved. He doesn’t think he could live through another experience like today. The Guo couple just hugged each other for a while, both realizing how lucky they were. Locked in their own world, they have no way of knowing that with the injury to Huang Rong’s womb, seventeen years would go by before they have other babies, Guo Xiang and Guo Po Lu.

Huang Yao Shi left the room first to update Ke Zhen Eh who had been hovering outside the door anxiously. “I’ll see the baby later” he mouthed silently to Guo Jing. Zhang Ma Ma, too left the room quietly after cleaning up Rong Er, knowing that the couple need some time to be with each other. “Jing Ke Ke, you can loosen your hold on me now I think, I am not going to disappear” Huang Rong said half teasingly, half seriously. Guo Jing laughed and loosened his hug the tiniest bit as if he doesn’t really believe Rong Er’s claim about not disappearing. He looked at his wife, even though the colour is beginning to come back to her face, she is still too pale for his liking. He queried anxiously “Would you like to rest?” Huang Rong shakes her head slightly; content to be in Guo Jing’s arms. A slight whimper from the crib drew their attention. Guo Jing walked over the crib and tenderly picked his daughter up and brought her over to the bed.

Huang Rong held her daughter in her arms and lightly stroked and baby’s face and asks her husband “What should we name her?” Guo Jing looked at both mother and daughter, his two greatest treasures. He almost lost one of them today, he thought with a shudder. “Jing Ke Ke, your daughter doesn’t have a name yet,” Huang Rong said impatiently when Guo Jing did not reply. Guo Jing looked tenderly from mother to daughter and it strikes him that both of them looked as beautiful as flowers, his flowers. The most beautiful and elegant of all flowers comes to mind, Fu Rong flower. (Lotus flower) Guo Jing softly said “Both of you are my Fu Rong flowers, I would like to name our daughter Guo Fu if that is ok with you”. “Fu Rong Flowers…. Guo Fu….Huang Rong. I like the name but since went did my Jing Ke Ke became so poetic?” Huang Rong said teasingly. Guo Jing smiles and lightly touches his daughter’s hand, the little chubby hand reached up and grabbed one of his fingers. “Guo Fu, My little Guo Fu….” Guo Jing said tenderly and the little hand gave Guo Jing’s finger a strong squeeze as if she approves of the name given to her. Both Guo Jing and Huang Rong laughed and gave each other a look full of love. Their world is now complete, they have each other and Guo Fu and they will continue to cherish each other. “I love you, I love both of you” Guo Jing said to his wife and child. “I know, I love both of you too” Huang Rong replied. Guo Jing gathers his family into his arms, oblivious to the outside world.

The night moon over Peach Blossom Island hung bright and beautiful. The millions of stars twinkled away merrily as if congratulating and welcoming the arrival of a new princess onto Peach Blossom Island.

End of Chapter 7

Peachblossom
    Unregistered

Thanks, Steph. It gets more and more interesting. This part was especially entertaining, and amusing, with GJ's panic and worries over WY's pains of child labor. hehe.. Telling about women going in labor is something we haven't seen often in ancient stories. You've definitely added a whole new dimension to wuxia fiction.

But truly, being a female writer, you have been able to open the readers' eyes to the female perspective, adding sentiment, sensitivity, and focusing on very pure, natural things, like the true love between a husband and wife, and the true miracle of giving life. These things- love of the family, loyalty, gratefullness- are, I believe, one of the most significant parts of our lives, and should be written about more. So when I come across such writing, I feel happy- happy that we can still celebrate this beauty that is a part of life. So again, thank you, Steph, for your wonderful story.

You mentioned earlier that your grammer was something that you'd like to work on. I noticed that it has improved in your recent last two chapters. But even before, I don't feel that it is that bad, not so much that it detracts from the plot and flow of the story. There is room for improvement, but I wouldn't consider it a big issue.

Dear Peachblossom,

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the story.

After reading LOCH, I have always wondered how the couple would have cope with Guo Fu's birth with only Ker Zhen Eh and the deft mutes servant on the island, hence the story about Zhang Ma Ma coming to help and all.

In addition, I have always wondered why Huang Rong and Guo Jing did not have another child soon after Guo Fu (They didn't have birth control in those days, hehehehe..), hence the story about injury to Huang Rong's womb as result from a traumatic birth leading to difficulty in conceiving a second child.

I may write another chapter after this (leading up to them leaving Peach Blossom Island for mainland, where they'll meet Yang Guo) but have not decide yet.

Anyway, gotta go but once again thank you for reading my story.

Default Revised Chapter 6

Dear People,

Forgetfullness has caught up with me in the old age. In writing Chapter 6 and 7, it kinda slipped my mind that Ker Zhen Eh was blind until a reader reminded me. As such, I have changed some things around. Sorry for the mistake.

Chapter 6 : I Could Not Live Without You

It was a clear cloudless sky on Peach Blossom Island tonight. The insects, which usually chirped away in the night, have slowly decreased as the night cool, all burrowed deep underground to escape the night frost. With the moon casting its pale light over the island, the lapping of gentle waves against the shore, everything looks quiet and peaceful… but not all mind are at rest.

Guo Jing, lay in bed, events of the day still running through his head. All his muscles are sore and tired from the training he has undertaken earlier in the day but his restless mind just refused to cooperate. Beside him Huang Rong lies in deep sleep, her head on his chest, snuggled as close to her husband as her heavily pregnant stomach permitted, to keep out the cool night air. Guo Jing gently pulled himself up to a sitting position. His movement caused Huang Rong’s head to slide down slightly so that she is now sleeping on his tummy instead; this earned a small whimper of protest from his still sleeping wife. Guo Jing smiled at that and just tenderly stroked her face to reassure her. The corner of Huang Rong’s lips curled up into a sleepy smile, but did not open her eyes. Guo Jing knows his wife is still sleeping, most likely having a good dream, he thought. Looking down at his wife, the pale moonlight illuminating her face, Guo Jing marvelled not for the first time of how such a wonderful girl like Rong Er could fall in love with a simple man like him. Sometimes, he is convinced he must have done something really good in his previous lives to deserve his Rong Er.

Huang Rong gave a sleepy sigh and curled closer to her husband. Guo Jing, afraid that she might be cold, tucked the blanket snugly around her. On some nights, he is contented with just watching her sleep. Her unbelievably long curly lashes, delicate looking nose, pouty pink lips… . He chuckles and thought how he could have mistaken her for a male beggar the first time he met her. He further laughed softly to himself when he remembered his own reaction when she finally revealed herself to be a girl; the dryness of his mouth, the pounding in his chest and he had to rub his eyes a couple of times to convinced himself that she is real. He fell in love with his wife then, instinctively knowing that he had found his soul mate, the other part of himself. That love had only continued to deepen with time. He acknowledged that his wife is beautiful, smart and witty but he also loves the other side of her; wilful, stubborn, bratty… but to him, It’s a complete package that made up the perfect woman - his Rong Er.

What would he do if he lost her? He felt the familiar tightening in his chest when he asked the same question he asked himself many times this past two months. The truth is he dare not think what would happen if he lost Rong Er. He thought he lost her once in Mongolia and the anguish he felt then was unbelievable. He did not speak to anyone for months and wandered around aimlessly on the prairie with just the white condors and small red horse as companions. It’s only the thought of leaving his mother alone that prevented him from attempting to join Rong Er in the afterworld. Even now, the memory of that pain long ago is like a knife in his heart.

Rong Er had calmed him down earlier today with her explanation on her mother’s demise. In the day of light, that explanation seemed sufficient and reasonable but now in the dead of night, Guo Jing felt his fear rising again like bile in the back of his throat. He looked over to the corner of the room; to the bamboo crib they had made for the baby and could not help but shuddered at a coldness, which suddenly came over his heart. “Rong Er, don’t leave me, I could not live without you,” he whispered softly to his sleeping wife.

Early next day, the sun is king of the sky again, its golden rays reflecting off the dews in the nearby Bamboo forest, looked like twinkling gems ready to be plucked from the green bamboo leaves. A little way off, deeper into the bamboo forest, the sound of someone hard at martial arts training could be heard.

Meanwhile, in the great bamboo house, built long ago next to the peach blossom formation by Huang Yao Shi for added security, Huang Rong could be seen hard at work in the house kitchen. One could see meat mantous arranged neatly on the counter, ready to be steamed. Zhang Ma Ma, who came into the kitchen to prepare the herbs that Huang Rong will need during confinement, is not astonished to see her near the stove, a smudge of flour on her nose.

Zhang Ma Ma smiles indulgingly and said “Guo Fu Ren, making meat mantou for Guo Ta Yeh again?” “Zhang Ma Ma, how many times do I have to remind you, call me Rong Er” Huang Rong paused in the mist of bun making. “Don’t change the subject, you know you are not supposed do work when you are this close to birthing time”, Zhang Ma Ma chided. “It is just a couple of mantous and Jing Ke Ke likes them” Huang Rong smiles pleadingly at Zhang Ma Ma. Huang Rong likes cooking and especially for those whom she loves. She especially likes to create new dishes but found that no matter what exotic food she cooked, ultimately, her husband’s favourite food is still the plain old fashioned meat mantou. Thus, she had gotten into the habit of making the mantous and taking them to Guo Jing who trains in the Bamboo forest each morning. However, Zhang Ma Ma had advised a few days ago that she is not to do any housework so close to birthing time. Guo Jing had taken Zhang Ma Ma’s advise to heart and forbade his wife from going anywhere near the kitchen, giving orders to the deft mute servants to “shoo” his wife off whenever she is found loitering around the kitchen. Guo Jing then got up early each morning to make sure that breakfast is prepared prior to going off to the bamboo forest so that his wife doesn’t have an excuse to cook. However old habits dies hard and Huang Rong managed to charm the deft mute servants to allow her to make a few mantous today, only to be caught by Zhang Ma Ma.

“Ai…. Zhang Ma Ma, Rong Er thinks that we starve her Jing Ke Ke, thus Rong Er must make extra food for him,” Ker Zhen Eh who came into the kitchen for breakfast teased affectionately. “Ta See Fu (Eldest Teacher), that’s not the case, I just thought that Jing Ke Ke hasn’t had meat mantou for a couple of days now, thus I am making just a few for him – I am just making ten, then I’ll be out from the kitchen” Huang Rong gave Ker Zhen Eh a melting smile. He couldn't see it but the pleading in her voice could be heard and he decided to indulge her just this once. “Zhang Ma Ma, I think we’ll let her off just this once” Ker Zhen Eh said with a smile. “Hard to believe that this is the same person who called me “Siau Yau Nee” (demon girl) a few years ago” Huang Rong thought gratefully. These past few months, with Huang Yao Shi gone from the island Ker Zhen Eh had stepped into the role as surrogate father to Huang Rong.

Less than an hour later, Huang Rong is on her way to the Bamboo Forest. Weaving her way through the peach blossom formation, she silently scolded her father. The peach blossom formation created to confuse and keep out intruders could be a nuisance to navigate when you are nine months pregnant and can’t see your toes every well, she thought ruefully to herself. She sometimes felt like a great ugly buffalo nowadays but is not too worried about it when she remembered the barely contained smouldering looks that Guo Jing gave her this morning. Looking down at her very pregnant stomach, Huang Rong laughed and said to her unborn child “And I used to think that you will be popping out from a stone. If you are, your father won’t be so worried” She knows that she had yet to put Guo Jing’s mind completely at rest with her explanation on child birth the yesterday. “Urgh….” Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain from her womb. She stopped for a while, rested her hand on one of the solid bamboo on the fringe of the bamboo forest and circulated a chi around her womb. The pain went away as suddenly as it had come. “Have I exhausted myself from making all those mantous? She reminded herself not to alarm Jing Ke Ke with this, knowing her husband will nag at her if he knew.

Huang Rong, who is in her first pregnancy, has no way of knowing that the pain she felt a while ago is actually the first stage of labour contraction. Zhang Ma Ma had just told her that she would feel pain when the baby is coming but as the pain left after a few minutes, she thought that she must have exhausted herself while making mantou and pushed the matter out from her mind. She walked carefully amongst the bamboos, making her way into the clearing where Guo Jing practiced martial arts each morning. As she neared the clearing, she could feel the “Tsang Fung” (Power from the palm stance) and she circulated a chi to protect the baby in her womb from the force of Guo Jing’s dragon subduing palm.

“Jing Ke Ke…. Rong Er brought you mantous” Huang Rong called out in a loud voice to announce her presence to her husband. Guo Jing who heard his wife’s voice stopped his training immediately, feelings of pleasure, irritation and concern washed over him. Pleasure at seeing his wife but also irritated and concerned because his very pregnant wife who is not supposed to slave over a hot stove for mantous also just walked over to the bamboo forest in her state and exposed herself to the danger of being hurt by his powerful “Tsang Fung”.

“Rong Er, you know you are not supposed to do this, what if my tsang fung hurts you?” Guo Jing said in an irritated voice to his wife when she nears. “Hurt your precious baby you mean, don’t worry, I have circulated chi to protect the baby, come and have some mantous” Huang Rong said cheerfully, knowing her husband is all bluster where she is concerned. Seeing the cheerful smile on her face, Guo Jing reined in his worries and sat down on a large rock besides her. “How do you get past Zhang Ma Ma and Ta See Fu?” Guo Jing asked. “I just woke up earlier than them and was nearly done when they arrived in the kitchen”. Huang Rong replied impishly and took the plate of mantous out from the basket to give to her husband. “Don’t do this anymore, ok?” Guo said in a stern voice but could not resist the mantous. Huang Rong stuck her tongue out at him. He took a hot mantou from his wife, shook his head at her antics and chewed into the delicious mantous, eating with relish. “Rong Er, you make the best mantous in the world,” Guo Jing said in between mouthfuls. “You said that every time you eat mantous, See Fu thinks you are mad for liking the mantous so much” Rong Er laughed thinking of their See Fu, Hung Chit Kung who is always disgusted at Jing Ke Ke’s fascination with the meat mantous, preferring it above all her other delicious exotic food. “Here, let me wipe the sweat off you while you eat, you trained too hard sometimes” Huang Rong tenderly wiped the sweat off Guo Jing’s brow. She chattered away animatedly as well, telling her husband how she charmed the servants, Zhang Ma Ma and Ker Zhen Eh into letting her make the mantous. Guo Jing answered her in between mouthfuls and the couple enjoyed each other’s company and a quiet morning in the bamboo forest.

“Urgh…..”, suddenly Huang Rong clutched her stomach as another sharp pain rip through her. “Rong Er! What’s Wrong?” Guo Jing dropped the mantou he had been eating in alarm when his wife yelled out in pain, colours draining out from his face. “Rong Er! Rong Er! tell me what’s wrong, did my tsang fung hurt you just now?” He further said anxiously when Huang Rong did not reply but instead circulated a chi around her womb again. The pain went away after a short while. “It’s ok, Jing Ke Ke, it’s not your tsang fung, I felt the same pain a while ago when I was coming here, anyway, the pain’s gone now” Huang Rong tried to appease her husband but know that it is not going to work when she saw the look on Guo Jing’s face. “IT HAPPENED A WHILE AGO AND YOU DID NOT TELL ME!!!” Guo Jing started to yell at his wife but stopped when he saw her face, devoid of colour, ring of blue around her lips and tears had started to form in her eyes. The pain must have been really intense, he thought.

“Rong Er, you must tell me everything, I am your husband” Guo Jing said gently, brushing away a tear that had started to slip down Huang Rong’s face. “I didn’t want to worry you, you have been worried enough about me as it is, you’ll make yourself ill with the stress” Huang Rong said tearfully. “Rong Er…” Guo Jing said, finally realised that as much as he had tried to shield his wife from his worries, Rong Er had also tried as hard to protect him from hers as well. Gathering his wife gently into his arms, Guo Jing said with a soft sigh “Rong Er, I can’t help it, you are my wife. If I had my way, I would most probably wrap you and our child up in velvet glove and not let anything bad happen to either of you but as I can’t do that, you’ll just have to put up with my fretting and fussing over you.” “hehehe….. Wrap me and the baby up like the meat mantous?” Huang Rong giggled at the image Guo Jing put in her head.

“Urgh!” Suddenly, Huang Rong yelped in pain again. “Rong Er, another pain attack?” Guo Jing queried anxiously. “Uh….Huh…” Huang Rong replied, her eyes glazing over with the pain. This time the pain is accompanied with a sudden tightening in her womb. Understanding dawned on her that this might be the on-start of childbirth. “Jing Ke Ke, I think the baby is coming,” She said weakly through the pain. “HERE? NOW?” Guo Jing panicked at his wife words. “Er….. Er….. Er…. What are we going to do, Rong Er…. Rong Er….” Huang Rong smiled weakly. Her husband had a tendency to stutter when he is panicked about something. A brave man, her husband, not many things could unsettled him, Huang Rong remembered that the last time she saw him panic was at Hua Shan when she, overcome with jealousy had proposed for them to pretend that they do not know each other. “Jing Ke Ke, calm down, if it is childbirth, Zhang Ma Ma said it takes some time,” Huang Rong said in a soft voice to calm her husband down. “YOU MEAN YOU WILL BE IN THIS PAIN FOR SOME TIME!” Guo Jing yelled, a nearby bird is startled into flight at the commotion.

“Er…. Jing Ke Ke, I don’t know what happen but a flood of water just came out of me. I think we better go back to the house to look for Zhang Ma Ma” Huang Rong suddenly said as her water bag broke and a fresh wave of pain came over her. Huang Rong had never seen her Jing Ke Ke acted so fast but so tender before. He swept her up into his arms gently and uses his body lightness skill (tsing kung) to proceed back to the house. He navigated the bamboo and peach blossom formation efficiently with speed which could rival Huang Yao Shi but held Huang Rong so steadily and securely in his arms that she hardly felt any movement at all. “Jing Ke Ke’s martial arts has gone up a whole new level,” Huang Rong thought with a smile through the haze of pain.

“ZHANG MA MA, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH RONG ER!!!” Guo Jing yelled when they are near the house. Zhang Ma Ma came running out of the house at the commotion. She took one look at Huang Rong’s drenched skirt, pale face; realised that Huang Rong is in labour and took over like a general on duty. “Put her on the bed right now! Get the hot water, cloth, scissors, herbs that I have prepared!” She barked the orders to Guo Jing and Ker Zhen Eh. She signalled for one of the female deft mutes servant to follow her to Huang Rong’s room. “But.. but.. She is in so much pain, is it normal?” Guo Jing asked, still rooted to the ground. “YES, PAIN IN CHILDBIRTH IS NORMAL AND I MEAN NOW!” Zhang Ma Ma barked and Guo Jing and Ker Zhen Eh ran in different directions to do her biddings.

Guo Jing gently put Huang Rong down on their bed and raggedly said, “Rong Er, you’ll be all right, you’ll be all right, you’ll be all right…” Not really sure whether he is reassuring his wife or himself with the words. Eyes closed, sweat drenched, Huang Rong nodded her head and held on tight to Guo Jing’s hand. The pain is coming on much frequently and stronger now. Guo Jing sat on the bed besides his wife, holding her hand, his face devoid of any colour and felt as if he is living out his most feared nightmare. He has no idea that his wife would be in so much pain and a Rong Er in pain drove him out of his mind. He wished he had put aside his embarrassment over “woman issues” and just asked Zhang Ma Ma to brief him on childbirth issues earlier. “Jing Ke Ke, don’t worry, the pain has gone away temporarily now” Huang Rong tried to ease her husband’s worries when the contraction pains end. She had begun to catch on now. She realised that there will be stages of pain, followed by temporary relief, followed by another bout of pain.

“You are ok now? You will be ok till the baby comes?” Guo Jing asked hopefully. Huang Rong, shakes her head and answered with a smile “I think the pain comes in stages, each stronger than the last but there will be periods of relief” “You… You…. Will be in more pain? Isn’t there something Zhang Ma Ma could give you for the pain, how about some Nine Flower Reveal Jade Pill?” Guo Jing asked dazedly, not really sure if he could live through this experience. “Sah Ke Ke, I am in labour, not seriously injured by an martial artist,” Huang Rong said, giving her husband a weak smile.

“Guo Ta Yeh, you have to leave the room now” Zhang Ma Ma who just came into the room, with the female servant, armed with all the supplies that Ke Zhen Eh gave her at the door said. Guo Jing just gave her a pleading look and shakes his head, unwilling to leave Huang Rong. “Males can’t stay around, this is childbirth, woman’s matters. Don’t worry, she’ll be ok, millions of woman go through this, it’s part of life” Zhang Ma Ma tried to reassure Guo Jing. Huang Rong gave Guo Jing’s hand a squeeze and nodded to him, indicating that he should follow Zhang Ma Ma’s advise. Guo Jing shakes his head and said “Rong Er, I want to stay with you. “Be good, follow Zhang Ma Ma’s advise, go have a drink with Ta See Fu, I’ll be ok, me and the baby will see you soon” Huang Rong implores. Guo Jing reluctantly leaves their room with a last look at his wife. Zhang Ma Ma closed the door gently but firmly after him.

Ker Zhen Eh was hovering outside the door when Guo Jing exits the room and asked “How’s Rong Er, is the baby coming?” Guo Jing did not reply but instead sat down on a chair outside the bedroom. Ker Zhen Eh put his hand on Guo Jing's hand and was going to query further when he noticed how cold and clammy Guo Jing's hand is. Realising how worried Guo Jing is, he too sat down besides Guo Jing without another word. Teacher and student sat without talking. A short time later, a small scream was heard from inside the room and Guo Jing jumped up from the chair and started to bang on the bedroom door “Rong Er, are you ok? Answer me!” Ker Zhen Eh tried to pull Guo Jing away from the door but to no avail. “Guo Ta Yeh, I am doing my job the best I can, please don’t add to my worries, I have to take care of Guo Fu Ren, there will be a lot more screaming as the labour pains get more intense” Zhang Ma Ma’s very irritated voice could be heard from the bedroom.

Guo Jing sat down in a stupor, his hand white around the knuckles where he gripped on the chair. He winced every time there is a whimper of pain from the bedroom. The whimpers will be followed by long silences, of which his mind would play tricks on him. At least, when Rong Er is whimpering in pain, he knows that she is alive, with the silence….. He pushed the thought from his mind. He resisted the urge to knock the door down with a dragon subduing palm stance and rush to Rong Er’s side. He took Zhang Ma Ma’s warning to heart and is scared that any hasty action from him may caused Zhang Ma Ma’s concentration to waver, which might result in a compromise to Rong Er’s health. “Ta See Fu, is all this screaming normal for labour?” Guo Jing asked Ker Zhen Eh. Ker Zhen Eh took pity on his student and replied “Why yes, I remembered when my Jiang Nan neighbour gave birth, the screams could be heard two doors away, her screams were much worse compared to Rong Er”. The truth is, Ker Zhen Eh had never heard a woman in labour before and had only said that to reassure Guo Jing. Guo Jing nodded his head but the worry for Huang Rong did not go away.

Default Revised Chapter 7

Dear People,

Once again, sorry for the mistakes. My only excuse is that I am such a ninny for being able to "forget" that Ker Zhen Eh can't see, thus the needed corrections.

Thanks again to the reader who reminded me.

Chapter 7 : My Little Guo Fu

The sun has started to dip into the horizon as the day comes to an end. Its cousin, the moon is eagerly awaiting for its turn to dance in the sky. Huang Rong had been in labour for nearly 10 hours and Guo Jing had been keeping vigil for 10 hours. He hasn’t eaten or spoken a word, alternating between pacing up and down the hallway and sitting down in a stupor, next to the bedroom. The screams coming out from the room has been escalating as well. Ker Zhen Eh tried to stay out of the way the best he could, not wanting to add to Guo Jing's distress.

Guo Jing had bitten himself on the lips at the last scream from the bedroom but did not seem to notice the pain. Instead, he just absently wiped the trail of blood from his lips. Suddenly, a high pitch scream rendered through the air and calls of “Jing Ke Ke, I want Jing Ke Ke” came from the bedroom. Huang Rong who is exhausted from the on-going 10-hour labour is about to give up and wanted her husband to be with her. Guo Jing ran up to the bedroom door at this and said “Rong Er! Rong Er! I am here”. Replies of “Jing Ke Ke, I want you Jing Ke Ke” could be heard weakly from the bedroom.

“Zhang Ma Ma, I can’t stand this anymore, let me in, I want to be with Rong Er” Guo Jing begs. “I don’t care that men are not allowed in during childbirth. It’s my wife! It’s my child! I just want to be with Rong Er….please……” Guo Jing further begs in a tortured voice, the composure that he had reined in for so long is at breaking point. A tear slid down his cheek. The bedroom door is suddenly opened by the deft mute servant girl. Guo Jing ran into the room and head for the bed. He nearly broke down again when he saw Huang Rong. Fatigue and pain is written all over her face. He gripped her hand and said “Rong Er, don’t worry, Jing Ke Ke is here at your side, never to leave”. Huang Rong managed to give him a weak smile before the next wave of contraction hits her. Her scream of pain tears at Guo Jing’s heart. Zhang Ma Ma who is at the foot of the bed explained, “She is too small and the baby is big, that’s why she is having so much problem and experiencing so much pain”. “What can we do?” Guo Jing asked, his eyes begging Zhang Ma Ma to do something. “Nothing, she has to do it on her own, she has to push the baby out, we could only encourage her” Zhang Ma Ma said apologetically. At Zhang Ma Ma’s words, Guo Jing starts to yell encouragements to his wife. “Rong Er! Push, do it for me, do it for us, Rong Er! Push!” Huang Rong squeezed his hand in answer and started to push, tyring to coax the stubborn baby out. “Rong Er! You have to do it, You must! Remember your promise, I can’t leave without you…. I do not want to live without you” Guo Jing further implores. Tears slid down from his face and dropped onto their entwined hands. Huang Rong looked at her husband with understanding through the haze of pain.

Guo Jing’s begging and encouragement began to work as Rong Er began to work with renewed strength. “I can see the baby’s head, push Guo Fu Ren! Push” Zhang Ma Ma said excitedly. Minutes later, a baby’s loud protesting lusty cry could be heard. “It’s a girl, a big healthy girl,” Zhang Ma Ma announced. “Rong Er, we have a girl, a little girl,” Guo Jing sobbed with happiness and relief. Huang Rong, too is crying at the emotional ordeal. “Zhang Ma Ma, I want to see her,” Huang Rong said, holding out her arms for the baby. “We’ll get the baby and you clean up first, then you can see the baby” Zhang Ma Ma said, her eyes suspiciously watery. “Guo Ta Yeh, would you mind leaving the room while we clean mother and baby up” Zhang Ma Ma who is a very traditional midwife tried to get Guo Jing to leave the room again. Guo Jing stubbornly shakes his head no, as if he is afraid his wife and child would disappear if he leaves the room. Zhang Ma Ma gave up and sigh “ok, you can help Tao Fa with the cleaning up of the baby and I’ll attend to Guo Fu Ren” Zhang Ma Ma said and handed the baby to Tao Fa, the deft mute servant. Guo Jing reluctantly leaves his wife side and followed the servant to the basin, which had been filled with warm water. The baby protested loudly with a piercing cry when she is lowered into the water for her first bath. A very emotional Guo Jing could not stop his tears when he laid eyes for the first time on his baby. Tao Fa gently wrapped the baby in towel when she finished and handed the baby to her father. Guo Jing tenderly cradles his firstborn and carried her over to her mom’s waiting arms.

Both father and mother laughed and cried emotionally as they looked down at their precious bundle, which at this moment is squirming and yelling for milk. “Shh…. Don’t be so impatient” Huang Rong scolds gently and tries feeding the baby. The baby latched on instinctively and Huang Rong grimaced slightly with pain as her baby feeds enthusiastically. Guo Jing looked down tenderly at his wife feeding the baby marvelled at the resemblance between mother and daughter. He may be speaking from a father’s point of view but he knows that their daughter will grow up to be a beauty like her mother someday. Like her mother, his daughter has phoenix shaped eyebrows, curly lashes framed a pair of beautiful eyes, which at the moment is closed in contentment as she feeds. However, he notes with pleasure that she has his generous wide lips and stubborn jaw line. His chest swelled with pride at he looks down on his two greatest treasures.

He was so absorbed in his admiration his wife and child that he nearly missed Zhang Ma Ma indication to him that she wanted to talk silently with him. He walked over to the corner of the room where the midwife is and said “Zhang Ma Ma, thank you, thank you”, he whispers, gratitude shinning from his eyes. “Guo Ta Yeh, there is a problem”, Zhang Ma Ma said softly, concern in her eyes. Guo Jing felt his chest pounding again at her words, his eyes opened in alarm he asked “What…. Wh.. What is wrong?”. “Guo Fu Ren is still bleeding too much, the herbs are not working” Zhang Ma Ma informed Guo Jing. “How… How… can this be, is Rong Er still in danger?” Guo Jing asked fearfully, a pain shoots through his heart at Zhang Ma Ma hesitant nod. “Sometimes, if the birth had been very traumatic, the mother bleeds profusely after birth an… and… sometimes that leads to death” Zhang Ma Ma explained to a stunned Guo Jing.

“Jing Ke Ke, something is wrong isn’t it” Huang Rong who had finished feeding the baby queried after she had handed the already sleeping baby to Tao Fa. Her husband’s face is like a sheet of white paper tinged with grey. “I am bleeding too much, aren’t I” she asked softly, already knowing the answer before Zhang Ma Ma could answer. She could feel her strength ebbing away and had she not been so elated over the baby, she would have known earlier.

A shaking Guo Jing sat down heavily on the bed and said “Rong Er… I’ll channel the chi into your body using Jiu Yin Zhen Jing’s cure recovery to stop the bleeding” Guo Jing eased Huang Rong into a sitting position and tried to channel chi into her body to stop the bleeding but he felt as if the chi is going into an empty vessel. There was no circulating chi as there was too much blood leaving Huang Rong’s body via the womb. After several tries, Huang Rong could see that Guo Jing’s mounting frustration and pain would cost fire-deviation (zhou Huo Ret Mou) and stopped her husband. “Jing Ke Ke, you’ll only hurt yourself, don’t do this anymore” she said sadly.. “Rong Er.. You can’t die, I won’t let you die” Guo Jing said fiercely, refusing to give up.

“NO ONE IS GOING TO DIE!” A booming voice was heard and Huang Yao Shi walked into the room. “Father-in-law!” Guo Jing stopped his chi channelling and called out in surprise. Huang Rong gave her father a weak smile of welcome. Before he left a few months ago, Huang Yao Shi promised his daughter that he’ll tried to make it back to Peach Blossom Island for the birth of his first grandchild and he is glad that he made it back home on time. Upon arriving, he had sense something was amiss from the servants’ expression, only to be confirmed by Zhang Ma Ma who had left the bedroom briefly to explain the situation to an anxious Ker Zhen Eh.

Huang Yao Shi walked to the bed and gave Guo Jing a bottle of medicine. “Let Rong Er eat two of the pills, then try to channel chi into her body again”. Guo Jing followed his advice and is surprised to feel a responding circulating energy when he channel chi into her body a while later. He looked at his father-in-law questioningly but is comforted because his wife’s face is already showing hints of colour, indication that bleeding had slowed and recovery is taking place. Zhang Ma Ma checked a while later, confirming much to Guo Jing’s relief that the bleeding had slowed to the normal post-delivery status and things had returned to normal.

“This medicine is something which I had worked on for a number of years after Ah Hang’s death” Huang Yao Shi explained to Guo Jing. “I tried to save Rong Er’s mother with the same method you did a while ago. I, a martial artist with great internal power found out too late that there is difference between saving a person who had been injured by a martial artist and a woman dying from childbirth. While the healing chi circulated well to help the person injured by martial art, it just makes matter worse for a woman dying from childbirth as the chi keep escaping via the womb, pushing out an even massive amount of blood and as result I failed and Ah Hang died”. “If you would have continue with the method a couple of more times, it would have hasten the blood flow and Rong Er would have died from blood lost within an hour” He informed a horror stricken Guo Jing. “The medicine which I gave you formed a block within the womb, allowing the healing chi to do its work”. “However, while it saves Rong Er, she has lost too much blood earlier and this has permanently weaken her womb. It might make conceiving a second child much more difficult” Huang Yao Shi warned the couple.

Guo Jing just held his wife tightly, emotionally, not paying much attention to Huang Yao Shi’s words beyond the fact that he had reassured them that Rong Er is out of danger. He had come too close to losing his wife. He didn’t care if they never have another baby. In fact, secretly, he is kind of relieved. He doesn’t think he could live through another experience like today. The Guo couple just hugged each other for a while, both realizing how lucky they were. Locked in their own world, they have no way of knowing that with the injury to Huang Rong’s womb, seventeen years would go by before they have other babies, Guo Xiang and Guo Po Lu.

Huang Yao Shi left the room first to update Ke Zhen Eh who had been hovering outside the door anxiously. “I’ll see the baby later” he mouthed silently to Guo Jing. Zhang Ma Ma, too left the room quietly after cleaning up Rong Er, knowing that the couple need some time to be with each other. “Jing Ke Ke, you can loosen your hold on me now I think, I am not going to disappear” Huang Rong said half teasingly, half seriously. Guo Jing laughed and loosened his hug the tiniest bit as if he doesn’t really believe Rong Er’s claim about not disappearing. He looked at his wife, even though the colour is beginning to come back to her face, she is still too pale for his liking. He queried anxiously “Would you like to rest?” Huang Rong shakes her head slightly; content to be in Guo Jing’s arms. A slight whimper from the crib drew their attention. Guo Jing walked over the crib and tenderly picked his daughter up and brought her over to the bed.

Huang Rong held her daughter in her arms and lightly stroked and baby’s face and asks her husband “What should we name her?” Guo Jing looked at both mother and daughter, his two greatest treasures. He almost lost one of them today, he thought with a shudder. “Jing Ke Ke, your daughter doesn’t have a name yet,” Huang Rong said impatiently when Guo Jing did not reply. Guo Jing looked tenderly from mother to daughter and it strikes him that both of them looked as beautiful as flowers, his flowers. The most beautiful and elegant of all flowers comes to mind, Fu Rong flower. (Lotus flower) Guo Jing softly said “Both of you are my Fu Rong flowers, I would like to name our daughter Guo Fu if that is ok with you”. “Fu Rong Flowers…. Guo Fu….Huang Rong. I like the name but since went did my Jing Ke Ke became so poetic?” Huang Rong said teasingly. Guo Jing smiles and lightly touches his daughter’s hand, the little chubby hand reached up and grabbed one of his fingers. “Guo Fu, My little Guo Fu….” Guo Jing said tenderly and the little hand gave Guo Jing’s finger a strong squeeze as if she approves of the name given to her. Both Guo Jing and Huang Rong laughed and gave each other a look full of love. Their world is now complete, they have each other and Guo Fu and they will continue to cherish each other. “I love you, I love both of you” Guo Jing said to his wife and child. “I know, I love both of you too” Huang Rong replied. Guo Jing gathers his family into his arms, oblivious to the outside world.

The night moon over Peach Blossom Island hung bright and beautiful. The millions of stars twinkled away merrily as if congratulating and welcoming the arrival of a new princess onto Peach Blossom Island.

End of Chapter 7

Agreed, your writing is so sensible like I can feel and imagine the illustration from just reading it! Your fully understanding of the chemistry between Gou Jing and Huang Rong really admired me!
    Anyway, just for fun, I feel like the 2008 adaptation (Hu Ge and Ariel Lin) has great effect on this writing! You don't have to say anything about it if you don't want to, but that's what I imagine when started reading your aftermath of LOCH.
    Oh, almost forgot! If you have time you should write the connection between the LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS! That would be fantastic since many people always wandered what has happened before HSDS perdiod. Oh especially the origin of Miss Yang (who's at the end used Nine Yin to fight with ZZR).
    I think that's too much already!
    Thanks for writing this aftermath, I will read all of them when I'm done with studying, can't wait to finish it!!!

Incredible writing. Thank you for sharing.