Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Master of Play 《心戰》

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Did anyone think that the timid waiter (Dai Yiu Ming)

click to show/hide spoilers
    Is also a manifestation of Ivan (Moses) character. His conscience and fear?
    I think he is.
    He's in the poster together with the other manifestations. If he's not important, he wouldn't be in the poster.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I think he is.
    He's in the poster together with the other manifestations. If he's not important, he wouldn't be in the poster.
    Poor Dai Yiu Ming. The media ignore reporting abt him probably because the other 4 are more outstanding in terms of their makeup.

They should name the bar as Hyde, not Jekyll

You think the bar existed, or just figment of Ivan imagination?

Anyone cracked up seeing Eric (Kenny Wong) face on Ivan phone caller ID? LOL....
    Last edited by sehseh; 05-27-12 at 11:03 PM.

I hope Edwin has more things to do in later episodes.
    Currently, he's the least distinct of Ivan's personalities. Don't know what his role is. Eric is the mastermind who tries to get Ivan back to the dark side. Michelle is the sex and desire. Martin is the violent guy. Henry is the guy who keep on trying to prevent Ivan from succumbing to his evil side. But, Edwin, he's just there mixing cocktail and giving little bit of comments to Ivan. He seems to be leading Ivan to admit his dark side. But, that's also what Eric is doing. So, his role is kinda redundant for now. But, he represents deception. So, I want to see how this character will develop to be different from Eric. Will he be the one who advise Ivan in his future deception act?
    Last edited by kidd; 05-28-12 at 10:56 PM.

Someone in baidu said their english name represent their personality. So, curious, I search for the meaning of the name. Other than Martin and maybe Eric, the other names don't seem to describe the personality.

Eric - one ruler, eternal ruler, ever powerful, honorable ruler
    Michelle - who is like God?, who resembles God?, like God, gift from God, close to God
    Martin - of Mars, of war/warlike, warring, warrior of Mars, dedicated to Mars, warlike
    Edwin - rich friend, wealthy friend, prosperous friend, happy friend, rich in friendship, valued
    Henry - home ruler, estate ruler, ruler of the home, rules the home, rules his household.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-29-12 at 12:04 AM.

Nah, I think audiences over-analyzed the names of the character. Coz Moses character name is Ivan, meaning Gracious and that doesn't correspond with his character at all.

Even though it was obvious that Aimee is pointed to be Adam's daughter
    I hope it was purposely made to mislead us. Maybe Moses witnessed his father butchering Adam's daughter and that drove him to momentary madness, perhaps killing his own father due to fear. It was then he created Eric as a defense mechanism, his co-hort.

Just my wild imagination. Hahaha because I hope MOP won't be so cliched.

Feeling like this is playing out like a variation of my favorite movie :

Mad Detective - where Lau Ching Wan can see the inner demons/personality of people's thoughts. Really crazy amazing movie... Truth be told I am having trouble getting into the story.

I feel like the reuse of people in the different Chik productions makes me feel like they have reincarnated into different people in alternate universe.

*SPOILERS if you have not seen the old shows ***

Bowie Lam - oppression/repression with bad ending - repressed doctor in WAB, controlling landlord but repressed by father in DoP, temperamental businessman in TGoL, then repression caused him to be manipulator in WHB

Kenny Wong - always have a physical flaw - impotency in DoP, loss of confidence in Fly with Me, unrequited gay love in TGofL, pending blindness in WHB, fear of commitment in 4 in Love, then now
    figment of imagination

Moses - struggle then loneliness - lover dies in WAB left alone with Charmaine, split apart from lover (Charmaine) in DoP (but reunited in 10 years), wife (Gigi Lai) leaves him in TGofL (forgot if they get back together), alone in WHB (Charmaine, Queenie, Maggie leaves)

Alternate reality Moses - underdog finally gets the girl (Ada Choi) on Fly With Me; finally a happy ending with Charmaine after 8 years in the TVB universe (counting BTROC) - although it technically happened in CBML first; now Moses is finally making up to Maggie in MoP

Maggie - bad luck with men - Kenny, Bowie, Moses - she has married them all with bad results....

Kenny Wong has always played the imperfect man in Jonathan Chik series:

Eunuch (WAB) -> Impotent (DOP) -> Homosexual (TGOL) -> Loss of confidence (FWM) -> Blindness (WHB) ->
    Evil manifestation -> Ex-convict (WAB2... not sure if he finally become a complete 'man')

Episode 5.

Did the police officer played by Matt Yeung really has sex with Charlie?
    In the room, I see Charlie under the blanket and Matt putting on his clothes. Did her really has sex with her? I mean, she's an undercover police and is his subordinate.

Episode 5.

Did the police officer played by Matt Yeung really has sex with Charlie?
    In the room, I see Charlie under the blanket and Matt putting on his clothes. Did her really has sex with her? I mean, she's an undercover police and is his subordinate.
    Yeap, they were lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Yeap, they were lovers.
    Do was she really pregnant with their baby when she died? And what is with the other cop mourning at her grave?

After watching ep 12, I can really why Esther would eventually
    leave Ivan for Ah Gan
    . Ah Gan is such a great listener and attentive person. And he is really nice in how he returns for Esther in knowing she is not happy. Even before Ivan got his old friends back, Ivan was not a great listener and sensitive to Esther's needs. I really like how Ah Gan gently washed the fake hand and then it held on to Ah Gan's hand in the end of the ep. It has such a creepy yet warm feeling.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Do was she really pregnant with their baby when she died? And what is with the other cop mourning at her grave?

After watching ep 12, I can really why Esther would eventually
    leave Ivan for Ah Gan
    . Ah Gan is such a great listener and attentive person. And he is really nice in how he returns for Esther in knowing she is not happy. Even before Ivan got his old friends back, Ivan was not a great listener and sensitive to Esther's needs. I really like how Ah Gan gently washed the fake hand and then it held on to Ah Gan's hand in the end of the ep. It has such a creepy yet warm feeling.
    BTW, I am quite freaked out by the boys after Natalie - one is incest and one is a psycho!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

This is a pretty unique drama. It's quite entertaining how they give depth to the characters, not just with the drama, but with every sand-art epilogue in each episode. They give not only an explanation of the character's feelings in that particular episode, but also lets the audience understand the character more.

I also particularly like Moses' character and his interactions with his personas. It's a very refreshing character.. maybe because it's the first time I'm watching a character who manifested his many emotions into several consciousness that he actively communicated with. Normally, split-personality individuals repress and aren't aware of what they do when a particular consciousness has taken over (normally in dramas, lol). Moses' character manifested himself into one that - he is conscious of take overs but sometimes just incapable of control. It's truly interesting.. I see too in the themesong clip that he kneels down to his cowardly side... which most likely is his conscience too. His conscience is weak, but his conscience comes back. I cannot help but wonder what would prompt his conscience to come back - his cowardice or his conscience?

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic View Post
    I see too in the themesong clip that he kneels down to his cowardly side... which most likely is his conscience too. His conscience is weak, but his conscience comes back. I cannot help but wonder what would prompt his conscience to come back - his cowardice or his conscience?
    I think it may have something to do with Aimee or Maggie since those two are the ones he truly cares about.
    Cyril Connolly

Watching Adam act effeminate in ep 18 was hilarious, but gees, the ending of the episode is such a cliffhanger! It had me on the edge of my seat! The story is really moving fast now!
    Cyril Connolly

Great show looking forward

I have a problem with Rebecca's character. Adam never let go of his daughter. He miss his daughter very much even after 25 years. But, his ex-wife seem to totally let go until she didn't seem to care one bit or miss her daughter at all. I cannot not see the love. Even when in the 1st or second episode where Rebecca and family was visiting her daughter's resting place, there was no scene showing Rebecca looking at her daughter's tablet and missing her. Also, her constant advice for Adam to let go make her sounds cold. This is the lacking in the storytelling. I hope the script has allocate a bit more scenes to show Rebecca's feeling, maybe even show a scene of her talking about how she get over the daughter's death.

I have a problem with Rebecca's character. Adam never let go of his daughter. He miss his daughter very much even after 25 years. But, his ex-wife seem to totally let go until she didn't seem to care one bit or miss her daughter at all. I cannot not see the love. Even when in the 1st or second episode where Rebecca and family was visiting her daughter's resting place, there was no scene showing Rebecca looking at her daughter's tablet and missing her. Also, her constant advice for Adam to let go make her sounds cold. This is the lacking in the storytelling. I hope the script has allocate a bit more scenes to show Rebecca's feeling, maybe even show a scene of her talking about how she get over the daughter's death.
    From what I see in the first 2 weeks episode (sorry, temporarily stopped at the moment), Rebecca did miss her daughter but she somehow convinced that it no longer 'hurts' if she moves on. So she try to forget Tansy. In the 1st episode when she visited Tansy tablet place, she played the guessing game with her son and you can see a flicker of disappointment when her son guessed the wrong hand. It was Tansy favorite game, symbolic of her emotional connection with her parents (no doubt Tansy would have played it too with Rebecca). In some scenes, Rebecca became angry when Adam couldn't give up on Tansy. I see that she was actually angry because she wanted to forget everything, and Adam keep reminding her. She's in denial of her pain actually.

I paused at episode 9 and hoping to finish in one weekend marathon when the show is all available.

I agree with Sehseh that Rebecca simply wants to move on with her life. She has a husband and a son - a "new" family. I think the last person she wants to show emotions/pain to would be Adam because that would feed and fuel more obsession.

The latest episode is pretty intensifying. It made Moses look like he got played out. I look forward to the background story behind it. I hope they piece everything nicely.

As for Rebecca, I agree with sehseh's point.

Overall as I said before, the characters develop over time, and I really appreciate that in such a mysterious drama.
    I hope TVB doesn't screw this up with some lousy ending though.

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic View Post
    I hope TVB doesn't screw this up with some lousy ending though.
    You need not worry. This is a Chik Kei Yi series. Chik's series seldom has lousy ending.