Thread: Martial arts level of the "Yeun"-generation Shaolin monks in DGSD

Default Martial arts level of the "Yeun"-generation Shaolin monks in DGSD

What was the approximate martial arts level of the "Yeun-" generation of Shaolin monks of DGSD (particularly Kiu Fung's teacher Yeun Fu and Chief Abbot Yeun Chi). Each of the Yeun-generation monks was obviously inferior to Kiu Fung in terms of martial arts, but how far beneath Kiu's level was each of them? Were the Yeun monks at least on par with their counterparts at Dali's Heavenly Dragon Temple, or at least Deun Yin Hing's level?

In the 2nd ed, all evidence suggested they were around the level of Duan Zhengming.

In the 3rd ed, more info was added. XF suggested he could take on 4 Duan Yanqing's, while he was equal to 3 Xuan generation monks. This makes the Xuans look stronger than the Duans and Bens.

We must note that not all of the 20 some Xuan generation monks are equal. Xuanci is the strongest, and likely the 2 that he brought to test XF were also among the strongest. On the other hand, the 2 that got killed by a couple of soldiers in Xixia were likely weaker.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-07-12 at 03:30 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    In the 2nd ed, all evidence suggested they were around the level of Duan Zhengming.

In the 3rd ed, more info was added. XF suggested he could take on 4 Duan Yanqing's, while he was equal to 3 Xuan generation monks. This makes the Xuans look stronger than the Duans and Bens.

We must note that not all of the 20 some Xuan generation monks are equal. Xuanci is the strongest, and likely the 2 that he brought to test XF were also among the strongest. On the other hand, the 2 that got killed by a couple of soldiers in Xixia were likely weaker.
    The thing with the soldiers was probably a crazy fluke (like six-year old Gwok Jing stabbing Chan Yeun Fung to death). I can't see mere soldiers posing any credible threat to wulin experts (unless the soldiers attacked by the thousands).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The thing with the soldiers was probably a crazy fluke (like six-year old Gwok Jing stabbing Chan Yeun Fung to death). I can't see mere soldiers posing any credible threat to wulin experts (unless the soldiers attacked by the thousands).
    I too thought so, but there was a large thread about this very topic, which persuaded me that top wulin experts aren't as powerful against soldiers as they ought to be.

One example is that in HSDS, a few thousands (I think) Mongolian soldiers were enough to threaten to wipe out the entire wulin.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-07-12 at 03:53 AM.

I too thought so, but there was a large thread about this very topic, which persuaded me that top wulin experts aren't as powerful against soldiers as they ought to be.

One example is that in HSDS, a few thousands (I think) Mongolian soldiers were enough to threaten to wipe out the entire wulin.
    It gets bad for the wulin people when large numbers of soldiers (e.g. thousands upon thousands) attack them en masse (that's supposedly how Gwok Jing and his fellow defenders finally succumbed at Seung Yeung), but my impression of what happened with those Yeun-generation monks in DGSD is that just a few soldiers somehow hacked them to death (e.g. the monks hadn't already downed hundreds of soldiers before succumbing to numerical superiority).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    but my impression of what happened with those Yeun-generation monks in DGSD is that just a few soldiers somehow hacked them to death (e.g. the monks hadn't already downed hundreds of soldiers before succumbing to numerical superiority).
    Yes, it's likely that those 2 monks already fought and killed a lot of enemies before being taken out. Nevertheless, here is a direct quote from JY from that chapter of DGSD on this topic:

群豪武功虽强,但每一人要抵敌七八人至十人,斗得久了,总不免寡不敌众。

Although the martial artists from Central Plains were powerful, but for each individual to fend off 7 to 8, or sometimes even 10, enemy soldiers, they cannot endure this for long.

JY is suggesting that a Xuan generation monk can take no more than 10 Liao soldiers at once. That's just pathetic.

Yes, it's likely that those 2 monks already fought and killed a lot of enemies before being taken out. Nevertheless, here is a direct quote from JY from that chapter of DGSD on this topic:

群豪武功虽强,但每一人要抵敌七八人至十人,斗得久了,总不免寡不敌众。

Although the martial artists from Central Plains were powerful, but for each individual to fend off 7 to 8, or sometimes even 10, enemy soldiers, they cannot endure this for long.

JY is suggesting that a Xuan generation monk can take no more than 10 Liao soldiers at once. That's just pathetic.
    It is. I think even Muk Yeun Ching would be able to defeat ten Liao soldiers.

Well that's mean Xuan Monks stronger than Duan Yanqing🤔🤔