Default Tiger Cubs 飛虎

24l5t77.jpg

English Title:
    Tiger Cubs

Chinese Title:
    飛虎

Episodes:

Cast:
    Joe Ma, Jessica Hsuan, Kenneth Ma, Him Law, Vincent Wong, Dominic Lam, Mandy Wong, Patrick Tang and more...

Synopsis:
    Although he is particularly strict with YU HOK-LAI (Him Law) and YAU CHUN-HIN (Vincent Wong), he treats them as his younger brothers deep. TO’s friendship with co-partner cum good friend CHONG CHEUK-YUEN (Oscar Leung) is challenged when TING WAI-WAI (Christine Kuo) turns away from him and falls for YUEN for his cheerfulness. YUEN tells his teammate SO MAN-KEUNG (Mandy Wong) to pretend to be his girlfriend but his attempt to patch up with TO further complicates the matter. Meanwhile, intelligence reports that “King of Thieves” TO TIN-YUE (Ma Kwok Ming) is conspiring to rob the exchequer. TO and Organised Crime and Triad Bureau inspector CHONG CHEUK WAH (Jessica Hester Hsuan) are assigned to take charge of the proactive operation. WAH is YUEN’s elder sister. Her boyfriend was killed by a maniac and she has since been immersing herself in work in order to forget the pain. As TO and WAH see each other more, TO realizes they are the same sort of people and that he is falling in love with her.

credits: popularasians.com

just finished eps 1, this series is the best series of the year!!!
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Watched half of 1st episode. Will try to finish it.

There are improvement in the filming techniques, and also action scenes looked better with the realistic props.

However, characterization wise, it's still TVB narrative tell all style. (Which is why it couldn't hold my attention to finish full episode). Take Joe Ma for example, TVB practically tell, yes other characters keep TELL us how awesome he is, his family background and stuff in the first 20 mins. Also Jess character. I can already smell their character development for the next episodes, what kind of 'personal problems' they will encounter miles away.

Him Law is reallllllllllllllly bad here. But I must say Oscar Leung & Vincent Wong are delightful to watch. Also there's one scene I remember, where the team made unapologetic sexist remark toward Mandy Wong (how that she, being a woman will not get into the action team, only fit enough for operation work), that was pretty realistic situation for me (whereby in typical TVB or dramaland the hero will step in and correct the guys).

I've only watch 1/4 of the drama. So, can't make a judgement yet. But, I agree with sehseh about the sexist remark. It's realistic.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I also have finished ep 1. I am pleased with the action scenes and focus on actual SDU training. Same as sehseh, i agree that you can already who is going to end up with who or which couple is going to break up soon. I just hope that the lack of development in characterisation in ep 1 is just because the series is just trying to get his familiar with the characters and the development will happen later.

I do think thus far, it is better than most series that I have watched in 2012 in terms of casting and production. At least the SDU team actually looks like a SDU team. However, I do question Him's character. Is he a replica of the insuboordinate, arrogant and cocky young doctor in "the Hippocratic Crush" that matured and learnt to respect his superior? Seems quite boring to see him act the same way.

I am looking forward to Kenny Wong in ep 2. And also Elena Kong in future episodes.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I just watched episode 1 and Kenneth looks so bada$$ and sexy as the robber :P. I think he and JJ make such a good looking couple! I like her and she looks so tiny standing next to him lol
    I like me.

The action scenes is top notch for recent TVB series. The training and actual operation scenes are well done. They do a good job in showing how hard this unit trains. It would be nice if they didn't use CGI Blood. It's so obvious it's CGI. Just use ketchup or something.

As far as the story, it's OK. I'm not wow by the actual story. It had potential to be something different but they decided to go with the typical route. Maybe it will improve later on.

Kenny is a good villain but not as good as Kenneth. He set the standard as the villain in this series. Bravo to Kenneth in the first episode. I want to see him play more villain roles.

I really like Tiger Cubs, and think its one of the best TVB series for 2012.

The training scenes and actions look quite realistic. Wish they had a few more, more popular guest stars in the cases~

http://k-tvb.net/tiger-cubs-thoughts/

***POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT***

I like the series in the beginning and had high hope for it. Although they used old cliche and predictable storyline, I thought their action scenes were pretty rad. The ending ruined everything though! How you-know-who escaped and survived the last scene is unbelievabling fake! It didn't make sense or humanly possible...

Also, I dislike Kristine Kuo (sp?). Her character and accent were very annoying to me...

I like both Joe & Jessica, but I didn't think they have any chemistry or that couple-feel in the series. Their characters relationship were a bit underdeveloped in my opinion.

Overall, I like the delivery style of this series but I wish they had better plot or at leat a reasonable / relatable ending.

Interesting villains in each story. I think they could have done more if they weren't restricted in doing gruesome scenes. This is one of Joe best performances in recent years. I'm glad that this series was only 13 episodes. The episodes were longer but it really flush out the characteristics of each villain in each episode. Very likely there will be a sequel. I prefer they do not make a sequel because sequels tend to never be as good as the original. If they make a sequel I hope they bring back all the cast members with better villains.

My thoughts on the ending
    click to show/hide spoilers

Vincent death was actually sad. Joe watching his comrade be torture and later suffering a gruesome death was crazy. He was burned, shot in both kneecaps and wrist and lastly the heart (so it looks like).

I thought Oscar Leung was going to die when Kenneth pointed his gun on Oscar forehead. They made Kenneth character so violent that I thought he would pull the trigger without hesitation.

Joe should have been dead. There is no way Joe can swim far away from the bomb in time. It makes no sense that Kenneth died but not Joe.

I'm on the fence about a sequel. I want to see more of development from the good characters' pairing, but then again I don't. I really like how they focus on the villians and the crimes, instead of the usual drama about romance-love and cheesy comedy. Joe is good, but I like him better as a villian back in the days :P

My reply to your ending thoughts =D
    click to show/hide spoilers

Vincent death - although it was dramatic and well executed, his death was a bit far-fetch. 1) It was out of character (Vincent) for him to ran off and shot after Kenneth & JJ’s boat. It should had been Him, since he was a hothead in the series. 2) Not sure why Joe was bought into the warehouse; just to watch him die? Maybe it was for the dramatic effect and K&J’s way to make a point… IDK. I think they could had made the same point without Joe being there; maybe I’m just nick-picking now. 3) Not quite sure how JJ’s face got burned off when she was the driver (farthest from the engine explosion) and Kenneth came out un-scratched lol.

Oscar at gun point – so true! I thought the same thing that Kenneth would’ve just kill him off without hesitation. It was too-too confidential for him to be on the same boat with Joe’s parents. Too bad they didn’t kill off Kristine’s char, she was very annoying lol.

Joe’s survival – so stupid! He was tied up with Kenneth (if I remember correctly) and then he just miraculously got free and swam away. He should had been blown away or at least his body never be found for a more believable ending. The ending ruined it all for me!

Tiger Cubs is truly a great production from TVB. I'm afraid a sequel will not live up to the standards (like GJ2). TVB may not pour nearly the same amount of resources ($1 million HKD per episode).