Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Villains

Default Favourite Villains

What are your favourite villains through te years? Now this is not a poll or anything. Just wanna hear what ppl gotta say. Here are some of my picks:

Gallen Law - Cold Blood Warm Heart
    Nick Cheung - Secret of the Heart
    Yeung Jak Lam - LOCH82
    Deric Wan - Looking Back in Anger
    Miu Kiu Wai - LOCH82
    Simon Yam - Police Cadet 85

I know there are lots more.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Do you mean we actually like the characters themselves.

Or are you asking "Which characters were really good at being bad that makes you think, they are such an a-hole?"

Anyhow to answer both.

Villains I like
    Sheren Tang in Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 86
    Michael Miu in Legend of the Condor Heroes 82
    Rain Lau in Demi Gods Semi Devils 96

A-hole
    Lawrence Ng in Grand Canal
    Kevin Cheng in Legendary Siblings
    Hugo Ng in Legendary Ranger
    5 old guys in Sword Stained with Royal Blood 85

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Do you mean we actually like the characters themselves.

Or are you asking "Which characters were really good at being bad that makes you think, they are such an a-hole?"

Anyhow to answer both.

Villains I like
    Michael Miu in Legend of the Condor Heroes 82

A-hole
    Lawrence Ng in Grand Canal
    Kevin Cheng in Legendary Siblings
    Hugo Ng in Legendary Ranger
    5 old guys in Sword Stained with Royal Blood 85
    A little bit of both. When an actor plays his role well, I usually like it. Lawrence Ng was the a total A hole in Grand Canal, but i didn't like it. His laugh was so fake.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Lau Dan's Fung Ging Yiu from THE BUND. Towards the end, you almost started feeling sorry for him.

Actually, most of the principal characters of THE BUND seemed to straddle the line between good and evil. Fung Ging Yiu, Hui Mun Keung, Ding Lik: none of them was squarely on the side of the angels or the devils.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Villains I like
    They are probably some of the few villains I like. They are bad but I can't help feeling sorry for them for one reason or another. There may be some other characters but I can't remember this moment.

One particular villain I truly hate because the character is really Top A grade of the A-hole list and I think the actor is really good in the role too:
    - Derek Wan in Looking Back in Anger
    Last edited by BearBearNweather; 05-07-07 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post
    They are probably some of the few villains I like. They are bad but I can't feeling sorry for them for one reason or another. There may be some other characters but I can't remember this moment.

One particular villain I truly hate because the character is really Top A grade of the A-hole list and I think the actor is really good in the role too:
    - Derek Wan in Looking Back in Anger
    Yes, I heard Deric Wan was too much of an a-hole in the series, it was so realistic. I heard back then when it aired women in Hong Kong actually would throw shoes at him on the street, that was how good he portrayed the son of a B*tch character.

I hear in the US, the actors and actresses who wins the best villain roles in soap operas, they get the same treatment in real life. Pretty sad when people take a series as real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Lau Dan's Fung Ging Yiu from THE BUND. Towards the end, you almost started feeling sorry for him.

Actually, most of the principal characters of THE BUND seemed to straddle the line between good and evil. Fung Ging Yiu, Hui Mun Keung, Ding Lik: none of them was squarely on the side of the angels or the devils.
    How can I forget about this one. Lau Dan had a brilliant performance. We don't get these types of villains these days. I agree that the The Bund didn't have any good or bad guys. I mean these guys are all gangsters, but you would side with Hui Man Keung

hmm..my favorite villian would be Huo Du from ROCH 05 or 06..dunno which one..but one of it..tee..hee..
    GAO HU ROCKS
    ALSO FAN OF THE FINAL FANTASY SERIES AND NARUTO!
    P.S. I got my icon at this site
    http://www.digik.net/avatars/series/13/38
    and it's by Izzy!

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    How can I forget about this one. Lau Dan had a brilliant performance. We don't get these types of villains these days. I agree that the The Bund didn't have any good or bad guys. I mean these guys are all gangsters, but you would side with Hui Man Keung
    One of the things I loved the most about THE BUND (and something that drama rarely tries to do or do well) is the moral ambiguity of the characters. The heroes weren't necessarily heroic, and the villains had a sympathetic, human side to them. Nobody was purely good or purely evil like simplistic cartoon characters. They were all fleshed-out human beings capable of both great nobleness and horrible cruelty and selfishness.

Hui Mun Keung was the series' protagonists, and the audience's sympathy is supposed to lie mainly with him, but there are moments when he demonstrated reprehensible selfishness. The most notable of these is towards the end when he begs Fung Ching Ching to let him accompany her to France AFTER he's killed her father. Could you believe the gall it took for him to do that? Ching Ching had once begged him to forget about revenge on her father and run away with her to France, but he refused her...insisiting upon revenge. After he got his revenge, THEN he wanted Ching Ching to allow him to join her in France.

No wonder she called him selfish and refused to accept him again.

But that's great: THAT's how people in the real world often behave. They're not purely good or purely evil; they're mostly self-serving and selfish, and in between are capable of acts of heroism and acts of evil. THE BUND conveyed that better than any other drama I've ever seen.

LMC in the most recent ROCH. I looked forward to seeing her on screen instead of XLN. Weird eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    One of the things I loved the most about THE BUND (and something that drama rarely tries to do or do well) is the moral ambiguity of the characters. The heroes weren't necessarily heroic, and the villains had a sympathetic, human side to them. Nobody was purely good or purely evil like simplistic cartoon characters. They were all fleshed-out human beings capable of both great nobleness and horrible cruelty and selfishness.

Hui Mun Keung was the series' protagonists, and the audience's sympathy is supposed to lie mainly with him, but there are moments when he demonstrated reprehensible selfishness. The most notable of these is towards the end when he begs Fung Ching Ching to let him accompany her to France AFTER he's killed her father. Could you believe the gall it took for him to do that? Ching Ching had once begged him to forget about revenge on her father and run away with her to France, but he refused her...insisiting upon revenge. After he got his revenge, THEN he wanted Ching Ching to allow him to join her in France.

No wonder she called him selfish and refused to accept him again.

But that's great: THAT's how people in the real world often behave. They're not purely good or purely evil; they're mostly self-serving and selfish, and in between are capable of acts of heroism and acts of evil. THE BUND conveyed that better than any other drama I've ever seen.
    Exactly. I like shows where the characters were believable. No matter if they were protagonists or antagonists, it was always believalbe. The Bund was one of those few shows that was able to do this.

How can anyone forget Adam Cheng from "大時代“

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    How can anyone forget Adam Cheng from "大時代“
    I've seen it once when i was kid. I need to rewatch it if i get the chance. Hope it comes out on DVD.

lets see..

mai suet in brink of law
    the guy that plays roger's brother in glittering days
    that same guy in maiden vow
    louis yuen in heart of greed
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

My favorite villains are :
    - Adam Cheng in The Greed of Man
    - Deric Wan in Looking Back in Anger (I hate him in this series so much.)
    - Lawrence Ng in The Feud of Two Brothers (Old Series ~ 1985)

Here are mine:

1) Gallen Lo - Cold Blood Warm Heart
    2) Nick Cheung - Secret of the Heart
    3) Gigi Lai - Doomed to Oblivion
    4) Bowie Lam - File of Justice 5
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

Quote Originally Posted by bubcas View Post
    Here are mine:

1) Gallen Lo - Cold Blood Warm Heart
    2) Nick Cheung - Secret of the Heart
    3) Gigi Lai - Doomed to Oblivion
    4) Bowie Lam - File of Justice 5
    Those are some good 90s selections there. I forgot about Bowie Lam in FOJ. He was awesome in 4 too. I think that he's better as a villain than a good guy.

Mine would be Sek Sau, Derek Kwok n Derek Wan

Marco Ngai in Split Second.