Thread: Why was Shaoling so bad at nurturing labour talent?

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Default Why was Shaoling so bad at nurturing labour talent?

Throughout DGSD to the Condor Trilogy, Shaolin seems to have been unable to recognize or nurture outstanding talents within their own ranks.

First there is the Sweeper Monk, arguable the most powerful character in the JY universe who flew under Shaolin's radar of nearly a hundred years.

Then there was the Kitchen Monk who although he became a villain, if his talent was recognized early and his character properly molded could have been a leading light for Shaolin.

After which we have the drinking monk who created 9 Yang. Although we don't know for sure he was a labour monk, the fact that he is completely unmentioned in Shaolin records shows that he held no significant position.

Finally we have Jueyuan and Zhang Junbao. The former could master 9 Yang on his own something even Zhang Wuji could not do and the latter became a legend. I understand that after the Kitchen Monk incident Shaolin was very sensitive about unsanctioned learning of martial arts, but given the characters of Jueyuan and Zhang Junbao surely they could have made an exception.

Well Shaolin is religious sect after all which mainly focused in studying religious books and meditation than martial arts they also usually not so "concern" about secular life compare with Wudang which allowed their members to marry or become government's official that's why they lack of "competitive nature" especially in martial arts so is not strange at all if they lack "talents" since they never obsessed about "becoming the number one under heaven" or to "ruling world"..

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Throughout DGSD to the Condor Trilogy, Shaolin seems to have been unable to recognize or nurture outstanding talents within their own ranks.

First there is the Sweeper Monk, arguable the most powerful character in the JY universe who flew under Shaolin's radar of nearly a hundred years.

Then there was the Kitchen Monk who although he became a villain, if his talent was recognized early and his character properly molded could have been a leading light for Shaolin.

After which we have the drinking monk who created 9 Yang. Although we don't know for sure he was a labour monk, the fact that he is completely unmentioned in Shaolin records shows that he held no significant position.

Finally we have Jueyuan and Zhang Junbao. The former could master 9 Yang on his own something even Zhang Wuji could not do and the latter became a legend. I understand that after the Kitchen Monk incident Shaolin was very sensitive about unsanctioned learning of martial arts, but given the characters of Jueyuan and Zhang Junbao surely they could have made an exception.
    Speaking of Jueyuan, can anyone guess what his internal energy level was? I couldn't find on the ranking chart. Dude memorized the entire 9 yang by heart.

Quote Originally Posted by metsrus View Post
    Speaking of Jueyuan, can anyone guess what his internal energy level was? I couldn't find on the ranking chart. Dude memorized the entire 9 yang by heart.
    Internal energy wise/internal energy alone (disregarding his fighting prowess) I will place him at Lv 80 similar with Wuji after he fully mastered 9 Yang plus massive "booster" from the qian kun bag or before he learn Qian Kun Shift which mean in that area he "outclassed" every L/ROCH Greats including GJ and YG..

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Internal energy wise/internal energy alone (disregarding his fighting prowess) I will place him at Lv 80 similar with Wuji after he fully mastered 9 Yang plus massive "booster" from the qian kun bag or before he learn Qian Kun Shift which mean in that area he "outclassed" every L/ROCH Greats including GJ and YG..
    Yeah at least Lv80, but I would not be surprised it's way higher. Jueyuan managed the entire Shaolin library, so who knows what other manuals he was exposed too.

Yeah at least Lv80, but I would not be surprised it's way higher. Jueyuan managed the entire Shaolin library, so who knows what other manuals he was exposed too.
    Well I think JY intention is to make all Trilogy Greats to be "equal" in every aspects including internal aspect that why he say GJ ~ Jueyuan in two different books which indicate that in the very end 9 Yin ~ 9 Yang though Jueyuan might be slightly better in that aspect since 9 Yang is full/total of internal strength method but still "great-level" inner energy so I think Lv 80 for Jueyuan is fair enough especially if we see that great-level range is from Lv 70 to Lv 80..

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Didn't Z3F think that the only people's internal energy comparable to ZWJ were GJ, Jueyan and a handful of others, namely the other Greats. So in term of internal energy Jueyan would be peak Great level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Didn't Z3F think that the only people's internal energy comparable to ZWJ were GJ, Jueyan and a handful of others, namely the other Greats. So in term of internal energy Jueyan would be peak Great level.
    Yeah before that in ROCH YG also say GJ ~ Jueyuan in terms of internal though I think Jueyuan slightly better than GJ but still in the same level of inner strength..

Yeah before that in ROCH YG also say GJ ~ Jueyuan in terms of internal though I think Jueyuan slightly better than GJ but still in the same level of inner strength..
    Not to go off topic, but why didn't Jueyuan replace the missing and stolen 9 Yang Manual by writing a new one for Shaolin, since he had already memorized everything?

Not to go off topic, but why didn't Jueyuan replace the missing and stolen 9 Yang Manual by writing a new one for Shaolin, since he had already memorized everything?
    The problem is 9 Yang written along/inside with Buddhist script which Yin Kexing and Xiaoxing Zi stole so he want get back the books not only 9 Yang but a "entire" books similar with you cannot only get back psalm when it stolen but you need to get back "entire" bible since psalm is only part of bible..

The problem is 9 Yang written along/inside with Buddhist script which Yin Kexing and Xiaoxing Zi stole so he want get back the books not only 9 Yang but a "entire" books similar with you cannot only get back psalm when it stolen but you need to get back "entire" bible since psalm is only part of bible..
    But surely anything that Jueyuan could remember and share with Shaolin would have been a better version than what Reverend Wuse heard Jueyuan recite while dying. And Shaolin still hung on desperately to Reverend Wuse's 9 yang version. I guess Jueyuan hid the fact that he can remember to protect himself and his apprentice from Shaolin's strict rules?

Both Shaolin and Jue Yuan weren't even aware that a martial arts manual called 9 Yang existed. JY thought it was something to practice for physical health. It was only until after the fight with He Zudao that he realized it was a powerful martial arts manual, which is he why he recited it before his death to pass it over to those around him (ZSF, GX, Wuse).