Thread: East/West fantasy crossover

Default East/West fantasy crossover

Has anyone done a East/West fantasy crossover story?

I've considered this in the past but traditional Western fantasy tends to be a bit more magical/supernatural than Wu Xia.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Problem of an acutal crossover is of course the "main" era of Western fantasy is set in a pseudo-medieval Europe, and a lot of Wuxia is set in years before that. And then the lack of effective transport makes life difficult and the multitude of differences mean that the characters may end up spending too much time gaping at the differences between their countries than actually getting to the story...

It's my ambition to write "oriental fantasy" (if that's a valid term.) Set in that China that might have been, but never was. with a West that could have been...

I gave a "westernised" martial artist (her great grandmother came from the Middle Kingdom, but her family had been steadily moving west.) getting extended cameos in my Nordic fantasy...

No reason you can't give it a go. Have fun!
    Reality is but that beyond the margins of my page, the annoying breaths one must re-emerge for and gasp in between dreams. It does nothing more than frame the ink and paper world of another’s imaginings.

Canada, in an igloo and i'm a lumber jack and we only have honey curlers up here. And hockey rules!

maybe you should try it out, crossing over traditions and fighting styles if it's a wuxia/medevil thing, that'll be cool, it'll be crazy, but ppl will argue that that historically never happened, so work on it, make it sound real so ppl won't argue back.