Thread: Half a Fairy Tale 童话二分之一

Default Half a Fairy Tale 童话二分之一

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/brandished_wings/Pictures/Resize-Wizard-1.jpg')
    Genre: Romance, idol drama
    Broadcast date 2012 August 27th
    Chinese name: 童话二分之一
    English: Half a Fairy Tale
    Episodes: 26

Summary
    Zhao Ting Yu and Zhao Ting Xuan are twins who become separated at a young age. With their grandfather getting older and older sister and Ting Xuan having contracted a serious illness, Ting Yu is brought back to protect the household and take charge of the family business. To stabilize the Zhao family business, the two sisters must overcome their initial estrangement and work together to withstand the scheming Jing Qing Yu. Fighting alongside them are Ting Yuans fianc Du Yu Feng and Jing Qing Yus own son, Jing Wei. In the process, Ting Yu and Ting Xuan realize their own strengths as they taste both the sweetness and bitterness of maturation, but most importantly, they finally experience the true meaning of family.
    There is a number of romantic entanglements resulting in a love square between Zhao Ting Yu, Zhao Ting Xuan, Du Yu Feng and Jing Wei. Ting Xuan forms a friendship with Jing Wei and he develops romantic feelings for her. On the other hand, Ting Xuan likes Du Yu Feng but he is more attracted to her spunky sister Ting Yu.

Trailer:

Official themesong:

To watch subbed episodes of this drama check out:

www.viki.com/channels/6202-50-of-a-fairytale

Cast Summary

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/brandished_wings/Pictures/342ac65c10385343eedbffbb9313b07eca808817.jpg')
    Janine Chang as Zhao Ting Yu and Zhao Ting Xuan
    Ting Xuan is the elegant and well mannered twin and Ting Yu is the spunky younger counterpart.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/brandished_wings/Pictures/cb8065380cd791238909edeead345982b3b780ba.jpg')
    Lee Joon Hyuk as Du Yu Feng
    Referred to as the robot but he actually just lacks the ability to express himself. Fiance to Ting Xuan
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/brandished_wings/Pictures/cc11728b4710b912b3d08e64c3fdfc0392452212.jpg')
    From a well off background, and a bit of a slacker but due to his love for Ting Xuan he decides to change for the better.

It's airing right now on tv, you can watch the episodes on youtube too. I don't really post often, but I wanted to share information about this series since I find it so interesting... I really like the "twins" premise. Also, I find Janine Chang really pretty
    Last edited by chopa; 09-02-12 at 04:42 PM.

I find Ting Yu kind of annoying. I was shipping Ting Xuan with Yu Feng but now it's pretty obvious that he has zero interest in her and she has really cute scenes with Jing Wei I find Yu Feng's sudden absence of feelings towards Ting Xuan to be a little unrealistic because his actions at some parts clearly speak differently.
    Last edited by Dragon Heiress; 09-02-12 at 05:14 PM.
    我是个疯子疯子疯子只爱你的疯子 你是个傻子傻子傻子傻的却好懂事
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

I find Ting Yu kind of annoying too lol... But I really like Jing Wei and Ting Xuan together

^Yeah, they're cute. I can't bring myself to actually ship them, though, because it bothers me that he in their cute scenes, he thinks she's the same girl he's with during the day.
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Hey Dragon Heiress! Have you watched "When Love Walked In?" It's another idol drama that's broadcasting right now. I think it had a lot less promotion compared to this drama but it is climbing up the search rankings. I think it's like 3rd and this drama is 5th. I actually like that drama a bit better as well. But it's not as popular as Half a Fairytale on places like youtube and this side of the western hemisphere...

I think the drama would have been better if Janine Chang was a stronger actor too. Then we wouldn't be so confused about Jing Wei's interactions with her.

I saw the trailer for that but it doesn't really interest me, tbh. I started watching this one because I like the way eeMedia and Hunan does stuff and because of awesome guest stars (He Jiong, Zhang Han, Zheng Shuang, Huang Jue, Top Combine boys, etc). I've never been too big a fan of Anhui's style (aside from iPartment 1 & 2), I find that their series are more influenced by Taiwanese and Korean dramas (though Hunan stuff is more likely to feature Korean actors), which never really appealed to me.

I've never been too big a fan of Janine's acting but I love the way she handled the two different characterizations. The two characters are clearly separate, even when one is pretending to be the other (though that's also partially the dubbers.) I have to agree with you in terms of the more intimate scenes, though. When it comes to the scenes with deeper emotions, she seems a bit blank.
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Heiress View Post
    I saw the trailer for that but it doesn't really interest me, tbh. I started watching this one because I like the way eeMedia and Hunan does stuff and because of awesome guest stars (He Jiong, Zhang Han, Zheng Shuang, Huang Jue, Top Combine boys, etc). I've never been too big a fan of Anhui's style (aside from iPartment 1 & 2), I find that their series are more influenced by Taiwanese and Korean dramas (though Hunan stuff is more likely to feature Korean actors), which never really appealed to me.

I've never been too big a fan of Janine's acting but I love the way she handled the two different characterizations. The two characters are clearly separate, even when one is pretending to be the other (though that's also partially the dubbers.) I have to agree with you in terms of the more intimate scenes, though. When it comes to the scenes with deeper emotions, she seems a bit blank.
    I don't like Anhui's dramas either (dude there's iPartment 3 now). You know, I think a lot modern idol series in China are not really unique. I'm much more of a fan towards Hunan's ancient dramas (Bride with White Hair with Nicky Wu is premiering on the 15th!)...

I had high expectations for this series- I really like both male leads... But the Korean actor comes across oddly muted (I watched him in a Korean drama and he seemed like a much stronger actor). You can blame the dubbing, but who isn't dubbed?

Still, I think this series is a pretty breezy watch for the summer. Just don't expect to be emotionally attached (like Bu Bu Jing Xin).

If anyone is interested, I did a recap of episode one here: http://ju-ji.com
    Last edited by chopa; 09-07-12 at 10:32 PM.

I watched te first bit of iPartment 3 and got bored after Wan Yu left.

The more I read about the novel version of the character (from tieba threads), the more I think that the Korean actor didn't do a really great job. Du Yufeng is really a great character but I can't bring myself to feel te same way about the actor's portrayal. I think there's a certain charisma missing. I hate the way he walks, though. If he's better in a Korean drama then maybe the problem is that he's speaking a different language from the rest of the actors so it feels more scripted.
    要爱你一辈子 写爱你的故事 在我心里承诺了几千次