Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Martial Arts TVB Dramas of the 80s

Default Top 10 Martial Arts TVB Dramas of the 80s

Check out our top 10 list of the best martial arts dramas made by TVB in the 80s

http://www.spcnet.tv/Top-10-Martial-...ons-aID30.html

Agree? Disagree?
    Last edited by spcnet; 10-29-12 at 03:52 PM.
    -SC

I'd replace SMILING PROUD WANDERER '84 with THE RETURN OF LUK SIU FUNG (1986) myself. SPW '84 was just a disaster on every level. It was easily the weakest TVB Jin Yong adaptation of the 1980s by *far*, and I'm a Chow Yun Fat fan.

Bring back some good memories. Can't remember Grand Canal.

I agree with the list. But like Ken, I would replace Smiling Proud Wanderer with something else. The Return of Luk Siu Fung is a good choice. Even Chut Toi Sheung Kiu and Hap Hak Hang were way better than SPW.

I was choosing between Smiling Proud Wanderer, Hap Hak Hang, and The Two Honourable Twins and in the end chose Smiling Proud Wanderer because out of the 3, I thought it had the most 'xia' feel, and in terms of adaptation, it was more faithful (i.e. Hap Hak Hang is completely different from the novel, though it's a fine comedic drama on its own). I'd probably have to rewatch Smiling Proud Wanderer some time, but my impression of it is actually not that bad, but this is from many years ago.

I'm thinking of putting together a best of the 90s list, any members care to fill in some suggestions for this list? Off the top I have:

State of Divinity 1996
    Demi Gods and Semi Devils 1997
    Zu Mountain Saga
    Gods and Demons of Zu Mountain
    Legend of the Condor Heroes 1994
    Return of the Condor Heroes 1995
    Revelation of the Last Hero
    Golden Snake Sword
    Against the Blade of Honor
    Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain 1999 (just kidding)

See the 90s listings starting at: http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews-tvb-series-titles-p15.html
    -SC

How about The Black Sabre (1989) to make the top 10 list? I still have vague, but fond memories of that one.

I actually don't think the 90s had a lot of good wuxia dramas, or maybe that's just me. The modern ones dominated more - it was the era of the procedural series such as File of Justice and Detective Investigation Files, and the family epics (Secret of the Heart, Cold Blood Warm Heart, Threshold of an Era).

But here are some possible additions:

Mystery of the Sabre - pretty watchable, if a bit draggy.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/Myst...2.html#Reviews

The Jade Fox - Hugo Ng and Jacqueline Law were pretty good together.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/The-...l#.UJRR3mlrYy5

Romance of the White Haired Maiden - didn't watch this, but apparently Ada Choi shone here.
    http://www.spcnet.tv/TVB-Series/The-...0.html#Reviews
    玉木宏

blog

Most of the good 90s series are already listed but here are some more. I enjoy these but not sure if they have the most xia feel.

The Thief of Honour
    The Commandments
    The Sword of Conquest
    All About Tin
    Heroes From Shaolin
    The Last Conquest
    Road for the Heroes

Very agree about 80's top-10 list, all titles are my faves
    90's TVB wuxia series don't impress me much, most of them are forgettable...

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain 1999 (just kidding)

See the 90s listings starting at: http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews-tvb-series-titles-p15.html
    Yup, Flying Fox 1999 is horrible adaptation by TVB and HSDS 2000 as well...

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    Check out our top 10 list of the best martial arts dramas made by TVB in the 80s…
    Thank you. With your list in mind, I bought the Condor Trilogy, Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain and Demi Gods and Semi Devils. I began with Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain. I liked it and was confused when the presumed protagonist died.

Next, Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre. Again, I was confused when, again, the presumed protagonist died. This time round, I persisted and the light bulb over my head lighted up when I finally caught on to the son being the actual protagonist of the story. I found the show so riveting that I finished it in a couple of days.

I have just begun Legend of the Condor Heroes and so far, I like it. I find myself enjoying these 80s' martial arts dramas and am looking forward to watching the others. My favourite aspect of those I've watched is the plot. That is attributable to the author, of course. But the other things such as cast, soundtrack and action - I am enjoying too. I really like the action scenes, real fight choreography (as opposed to CGI). TVB, the cast, writers and crew have, to my mind, done a good job on these martial arts dramas.

Thanks for 90s recommendations. I guess there were some pretty decent 90s martial arts dramas then. I do remember watching a lot of them but only vaguely.
    -SC

What about brothers under the skin , the other side of the horizon and hunters prey? they were quite interesting too

The top 10 martial arts dramas by TVB written by sukting

http://www.spcnet.tv/Top-10-Martial-...ons-aID34.html
    -SC

I agree 100% with the list! And I am glad you included Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain 85 too.. I think the series somehow under-rated, but I found it is actually better as a movie (not as a novel) than other Jin Yong 80's adaptation. It is just amazing TVB can translated my least favorite JY novel into something believable and more enjoyable.

Funny that I didn't even know "Against the Blade of Honor" -90s even existed. Anyways, I 1oo% agree with the 80's list.

Side question: what's the series with Eddie Kwan as a street performer. He scammed people in beleiving that he's a very powerful and skillful fighter for money. Then he later really learn the kung fu, something about buddha palms (?) I think Ada was also in it as the villian (?)

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJWong View Post
    Side question: what's the series with Eddie Kwan as a street performer. He scammed people in beleiving that he's a very powerful and skillful fighter for money. Then he later really learn the kung fu, something about buddha palms (?) I think Ada was also in it as the villian (?)
    The Buddhism Palm Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Is it the same with "Buddha's Magic Palm", with Suzanna Auyeung Peisan, Mitra King Toi Yam and Jamie Chik Mei Chun?

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Ha, that's it! Thanks.

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

How could "THE BLOOD STAINED INTRIGUE 1986" belong to top 10? The storyline is not bad but not exceptional good. The main lead isn't all that good.