Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 10 Martial Arts TVB Dramas of the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Apop Harris View Post
    Is it the same with "Buddha's Magic Palm", with Suzanna Auyeung Peisan, Mitra King Toi Yam and Jamie Chik Mei Chun?
    No, that's the original early 80s Buddha's Palm with Yee Yeung. That version also changed all the names of the main Buddha's Palm characters from the comics, probably because they didn't want to run into copyright issues with Jademan Wong or something. Buddhism Palm Strikes Back was in the mid 90s, starring Eddie Kwan, Catherine Hung, Ada Choi and Gordon Liu. Eddie was supposed to be a descendant of Yee Yeung's character from the 80s (although there's no continuity, since everyone dies in the end of the 80s version and Yee Yeung becomes a monk).

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    How could "THE BLOOD STAINED INTRIGUE 1986" belong to top 10? The storyline is not bad but not exceptional good. The main lead isn't all that good.
    In my opinion, The Blood Stained Intrigue 1986 deserves the Top 10 because it was better than my low expectation.

As a series that is not based on a novel with no famous casts, it turned out to be better than okay. I found it was rare to find a decent story like this from original screenplay/something not based on a novel. And the fact that it was quite enjoyable even without 5 Tigers or 5 Beauties (like the rest of the series in this Top 10) is definitely something.

In my opinion, The Blood Stained Intrigue 1986 deserves the Top 10 because it was better than my low expectation.

As a series that is not based on a novel with no famous casts, it turned out to be better than okay. I found it was rare to find a decent story like this from original screenplay/something not based on a novel. And the fact that it was quite enjoyable even without 5 Tigers or 5 Beauties (like the rest of the series in this Top 10) is definitely something.
    The series itself wasn't bad. It was pretty decent, but I don't think it should belong to the top 10s. I would say series like "The Foundation", " The wild Bunch", "Chut Toi Sheung Kiu" should be belong to top 10 instead because at least they have better storylines and much better stars.

Yea everyone has their own personal taste. Which one is Chut Toi Sheung Kiu? I watched "The Foundation" and "The Wild Bunch". For me The Wild Bunch is a little bit "quiet", one dimensional plot in term of not so many conflicts in the wuxia world, only 2 sides. But the acting and actors are great. The Foundation is not so "wuxia", more like drama. Again, saved by great casts. Those 2 series without Felix Wong, Kent Tong, Idy Chan, Barbara Yung, Michael Miu, they would have been so boring. But it is just me..

The series itself wasn't bad. It was pretty decent, but I don't think it should belong to the top 10s. I would say series like "The Foundation", " The wild Bunch", "Chut Toi Sheung Kiu" should be belong to top 10 instead because at least they have better storylines and much better stars.

Yea everyone has their own personal taste. Which one is Chut Toi Sheung Kiu?
    Tony Leung, Hugo Ng, Kitty Lai, Shallin Tse, Michael Miu, Jamie Chik.
    This serial is way better than The Blood Stained Intrigue 1986 in everyway.

I watched "The Foundation" and "The Wild Bunch". For me The Wild Bunch is a little bit "quiet", one dimensional plot in term of not so many conflicts in the wuxia world, only 2 sides. But the acting and actors are great. The Foundation is not so "wuxia", more like drama. Again, saved by great casts. Those 2 series without Felix Wong, Kent Tong, Idy Chan, Barbara Yung, Michael Miu, they would have been so boring. But it is just me..
    The Wild Bunch has Felix and Kent fight over Idy. The Foundation has Felix and Miu fought over Barbara, Miu and Kent fought over a kingdom. What did The Blood Stained Intrigue 1986 has to offer? Who are the main leads? Jimmy Au and the actress is unknown.

The Wild Bunch has Felix and Kent fight over Idy. The Foundation has Felix and Miu fought over Barbara, Miu and Kent fought over a kingdom. What did The Blood Stained Intrigue 1986 has to offer? Who are the main leads? Jimmy Au and the actress is unknown.
    I haven't seem the Wild Bunch or The Foundation. Still looking for those series. Regarding the Blood Stained Intrigue, it's got mystery, adventure, romance, and a grand finale battle between the good guys and the bad guy. Wasn't it fascinating to find out that the old man (played by the late Bao Fong) was actually a zombie? Even though there were a lot of unnamed actors, their acting was good enough, it wasn't distracting. In fact, I cried with the hero and his love, I felt what they felt. I felt that this series really fits the title, it's very intriguing, so many people to search for, mysteries to solve, loose ends to tie up. This series deserves to be in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I haven't seem the Wild Bunch or The Foundation. Still looking for those series. Regarding the Blood Stained Intrigue, it's got mystery, adventure, romance, and a grand finale battle between the good guys and the bad guy. Wasn't it fascinating to find out that the old man (played by the late Bao Fong) was actually a zombie? Even though there were a lot of unnamed actors, their acting was good enough, it wasn't distracting. In fact, I cried with the hero and his love, I felt what they felt. I felt that this series really fits the title, it's very intriguing, so many people to search for, mysteries to solve, loose ends to tie up. This series deserves to be in the top 10.
    I agree that the BSI is a good series but it doesn't have star power. I would agree it belong to the top 10 if it has better main leads. The Wild Bunch is very good but not as great as The Foundation in my opinion. Also, you should also try "The Dragon Sword" with Michael Miu if you haven't watch it. TDS is a very good series as well. Somehow current Wuxia/ancient serials just can't compare to the ones in the golden 80s. Mainland wuxia/ancient serials aren't as interesting despite better scenery and their mega budget.

I just finished watching Chor Lau Heung 1984 with Miu Kiu Wai. I thought the series was light and entertaining.

Wasn't Bao Fong a robot rather than a zombie in BSI - I distinctly remember that spring which boinged out of his hand when they found his body? I enjoyed it tremendously, probably more than Foundation or Wild Bunch too. The downside was out of the seven new artistes which TVB were promoting, only three were really decent - Jimmy Au, Sylvia Ng and Carrie Choi - and even then Jimmy pretty much hardly ever got the lead role, Carrie never did as far as I remember, while Sylvia left for ATV after her role as Yang Buhui in HSDS 86. The other 4 were a bit of a let down - although Wong Man Ming and Lau Pik Yee were quite decent as supporting cast. Cheung Mei Tse and Au Wai Leung were, sadly, ill-suited for wuxia.

What made BSI more fun for me than Foundation or Wild Bunch is that BSI was set in pure wulin, while the other two were set in palaces and royalty. I've always been a sucker for sects, martial arts, wulin hierarchy, and less interested in emperors, kingdoms and generals in terms of setting. It's a personal preference.

yeah, i agree with the participants of the list

i don't not agree with the ranking/order though

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Wasn't Bao Fong a robot rather than a zombie in BSI - I distinctly remember that spring which boinged out of his hand when they found his body?
    Heh, you are correct. At the time of posting I couldn't think of the word to describe him. But yeah, robot is more fitting than zombie.

BTW, who are Cheung Mei Tse and Au Wai Leung? What were their roles in BSI?
    Last edited by dictionary; 06-15-13 at 02:34 PM.

Heh, you are correct. At the time of posting I couldn't think of the word to describe him. But yeah, robot is more fitting than zombie.

BTW, who are Cheung Mei Tse and Au Wai Leung? What were their roles in BSI?
    Cheung Mei Tze was the girl from the Giant Whale Clan (I can't remember her character's name) who fancied Pak Chi Mou, while Au Wai Leung was Pak Chi Mou's brother Pak Chi Man.

Just adding the themesong from Youtube before it gets taken down the same way as the one on the poll did:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSPjbhCtkjA

Watching this reminds me how much I loved this series. Yes, it didn't have "star power" because the leads were unknown, but Jimmy Au and Sylvia Ng were the main male and female leads, and both carried their roles very very well. I don't know why Jimmy never got more lead roles, but it wasn't for lack of acting ability, and until today he carries significant screen presence when he appears in his numerous support roles. Sylvia was really really likeable in this series, but moving to ATV pretty much ended her career since ATV didn't really give her any significant roles (maybe because they didn't have many significant serials after this point).

This serial also benefited from having the core support staff of TVB which made the Golden 80s golden. Almost all the familiar faces are present, and made for a really wonderful setting. Take TVB's Golden 80s setting, throw in a good plot, cast a new but talented male and female lead, write a killer themesong, and it all works out very well (apart from those few newbies whose roles weren't that big). The ATV version starring Nixon "cannot act" Pang was weak, but even then with a good support cast it was watchable. This one is just classic.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 06-18-13 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    The ATV version starring Nixon "cannot act" Pang was weak, but even then with a good support cast it was watchable.
    It was three tapes long, right? I don't remember the title, just remember that the storyline was similar to that of BSI.

It was three tapes long, right? I don't remember the title, just remember that the storyline was similar to that of BSI.
    Can't really remember how many tapes were in there, but it wasn't anywhere near as long as Blood-Stained Intrigue, which limited the character development. Thankfully. Although, to be honest, I did find the blind girl attractive, and the saber art 寰宇一刀 did look rather cool. The saber-user just spins the saber like a propeller and it smooshes everyone in front of it.

Nixon's version was called 天劍絕刀 and you can find his themesong here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09BG8pv3RII

The quality is quite bad, though. Must have been recorded from an old VHS.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 06-22-13 at 01:17 PM.

Yes, that's it! I remember the theme song. I remember thinking, wow, this song is kinda modern and fast for a wuxia series. Heh. I like it though. And yes, I remember the blind girl. She was good at medicine or something like that. I was rooting for her to end up with the guy but alas, that didn't happen. Do you know what other series she's in?

Well, here is a slightly better quality of the opening theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRv0Gzxatkw

I thought she did end up with the guy (not that he was much of a catch). Chau Sau Lan died, so that basically left her as the sole surviving love interest..