Thread: Phoenix Dances in the Nine Skies: book title, secret martial art name?

Default Phoenix Dances in the Nine Skies: book title, secret martial art name?

I first came across the phrase "Phoenix Dances in the Nine Skies" as the Chinese title of the RETURN OF LUK SIU FUNG TVB series starring Alex Man as the title character. In regards to the series, the phrase was not just the title, but also the name of a secret martial art that Luk Siu Fung rarely uses, but that makes him all but invincible.

I learned later (maybe here at SPCNET) that the phrase was only the title of that series, and that there was no Gu Long novel or Luk Siu Fung martial art by that name.

Later, however, I learned that there is indeed a LUK SIU FUNG novel by that name, but no mention of it as a martial arts skill that Luk practiced.

More recently, I learned that it's not only the title of a LUK SIU FUNG novel by Gu Long, but indeed a secret martial art that Luk rarely used and made it possible to defeat even powerful opponents such as Sai Mun Chui Sheut or even Gung 9 with relative ease.

So what's the real skinny here? Does Luk Siu Fung actually have a super-powerful martial art called Phoenix Dances in the Nine Skies that far surpasses the martial arts of his most powerful friends and enemies?

A very quick copy/paste of the title 鳳舞九天 into an online version of the text shows no mention of these four characters together, so no, it is not a martial art name. There are several characters in the novel with 九 (9) in their names, and of course 鳳 is in the main character's name, so that's likely where the novel's title comes from.

I don't remember Luk Siu Fung knowing a secret martial art with such name in the book. Gung 9 was killed in a very lame way that has nothing to do with any secret martial art.

How Gung 9 was killed.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Gung 9 has a masochistic fetish. He need to be whipped to get high sexually. Gung 9 was defeated by Sha Man undressing in front of him causing him to want to be whipped and Luk Siu Fung just killed him with one swift thrust of the whip (that was harden with LSF's Qi iirc)
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I don't remember Luk Siu Fung knowing a secret martial art with such name in the book. Gung 9 was killed in a very lame way that has nothing to do with any secret martial art.

How Gung 9 was killed.
    Gung 9 has a masochistic fetish. He need to be whipped to get high sexually. Gung 9 was defeated by Sha Man undressing in front of him causing him to want to be whipped and Luk Siu Fung just killed him with one swift thrust of the whip (that was harden with LSF's Qi iirc)
    Sounds gruesome. Did Luk Siu Fung cut him in half with the whip?

There's certainly no shortage of characters who have weird sexual fetishes in LUK SIU FUNG. Yip Ling Fung, Lau Ching Ching's husband, and Pink Swallow were just a few others who also had weird sexual fetishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Sounds gruesome. Did Luk Siu Fung cut him in half with the whip?

There's certainly no shortage of characters who have weird sexual fetishes in LUK SIU FUNG. Yip Ling Fung, Lau Ching Ching's husband, and Pink Swallow were just a few others who also had weird sexual fetishes.
    Nope LSF didn't.

Luk Siu Fung stabbed Gung 9's heart with the whip.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Nope LSF didn't.

Luk Siu Fung stabbed Gung 9's heart with the whip.
    Whoa! Great aim, and even more impressive use of inner power! Even Sai Mun Chui Sheut would have been jealous of that move!

Sorry for the thread necro and sorry if its been answered can't see the spoilers.

Its a book title should be the second last book in the series and yes its the name of his secret technique it what the book is named after.

As far as I remember since I read it ages ago and no longer have the copy I think he has never used it before this novel in typical LSF style its his Ace in the hole and it was only rumoured that he had a secret technique.
    Last edited by itoko; 01-12-13 at 09:36 AM.