Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils 2013 《天龙八部》 - Wallace Chung, Jia Qing

I'm not trying to be funny or throw any shade, but IMO, this version is gonna flop. It doesn't look promising. I don't think Wallace fits the role. He isn't a very solid actor and from the last wuxia drama we've seen of him, his acting was mediocre at best. And I don't get how casting Kim Kibum is going to help this show reach International-level success or promote Wuxia to larger audience. Do Koreans even understand Wuxia?

Anyway, I'll probably take a look at this version, even though I won't be expecting much from it.
    Last edited by zhxzhx; 11-17-12 at 08:31 PM.

Woa! Wallace looks awful and does not fit the character in the photos, lets hope hes better in action! As for the Korean actor, he looks very girly, very girly!

Zhang Meng is the actress who play Zhou Ting in the Magic blade? If so that is a big no NO no for WYY. She is no where that beautiful got DY to fall head over heals for her, also this actress is not a good one either. I thought Chen Hoa was too pretty to play Ah Zhi , but I felt she gave a good performance as for this new lady, well she is not bad, but holy heck what is up with all their costume???

Quote Originally Posted by IloveMimiLo View Post
    Woa! Wallace looks awful and does not fit the character in the photos, lets hope hes better in action! As for the Korean actor, he looks very girly, very girly!

Zhang Meng is the actress who play Zhou Ting in the Magic blade? If so that is a big no NO no for WYY. She is no where that beautiful got DY to fall head over heals for her, also this actress is not a good one either. I thought Chen Hoa was too pretty to play Ah Zhi , but I felt she gave a good performance as for this new lady, well she is not bad, but holy heck what is up with all their costume???
    Well all Korean actors/singers look girly!! :P

I agree...we really need someone thats drop-dead gorgeous or something...gives you shivers. Otherwise there's no point in WYY

Quote Originally Posted by zhxzhx View Post
    I'm not trying to be funny or throw any shade, but IMO, this version is gonna flop. It doesn't look promising. I don't think Wallace fits the role. He isn't a very solid actor and from the last wuxia drama we've seen of him, his acting was mediocre at best. And I don't get how casting Kim Kibum is going to help this show reach International-level success or promote Wuxia to larger audience. Do Koreans even understand Wuxia?
    LOL I think so my Korean friend told me that her father is really interested in Chinese Wuxia. c:

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakesdance
    I like the fact that they are taking another step in introducing wuxia TV drama to international audience. (whether or not Kim Kibum is the right candidate because I wasn't - and still not - really that interested in watching his dramas :P so I don't know how his acting is)

Is Kim Kibum the only available korean actor who is an idol with big international fanbase and can focus on filming the drama for months? Just asking
    Honestly I tried looking for information about the new DGSD on a more asian-national siye but I couldn't find any. I wonder how long the news has been out and when its going to air? 'Cause if it's been out for a while then they should of known already. :/

He's like the only suitable for the role. Have you seen all the other Korean celebs?? They look MORE feminine than him.

It is tough to beat Carmen Lee and LYF's beauty. I do hope they find someone suitable!

Quote Originally Posted by JadeHeart View Post
    Honestly I tried looking for information about the new DGSD on a more asian-national siye but I couldn't find any. I wonder how long the news has been out and when its going to air? 'Cause if it's been out for a while then they should of known already. :/

He's like the only suitable for the role. Have you seen all the other Korean celebs?? They look MORE feminine than him.
    ROFL at the last part. Anyway, it seems to me that most ELFs just got hold of this news recently when KKB tweeted(?) about his travel to China for filming (which I think was just a couple of days ago) and its not even that widely talked about. At least based on the ELF sites/blogs I visited. But who knows what will happen when they start to promote this.
    喜欢一个人不就是应该让她感到幸福,让她快乐。别给他带来困扰 - 孟天楚/刑名师爷

To be honest, I'm very much disappointed at how this adaption has turned out so far (in all aspects).
    The 1997 version is by far my favourite. The 2003 version was okay in certain parts, although at the time, Liu Tao was basically the only reason why I ended up watching it.
    If I do end up watching it, I'll probably be watching the Qiao Feng & Ah Zhu scenes. I'm finding it hard to stomach the fact that a Korean actor is portraying a role in a mainland WUXIA drama.

I've never been interested in anything Korean, haven't seen any of their acting (except a few scenes here and there of the main guy in 童话二分之一) so what I think of Korean actors - mostly based on first impressions - will be biased.

Edit:
    This new pic is not helping.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/68ebc984jw1dyyxf2q7d0j.jpg')
    Last edited by H.Ge-C.Liu; 11-18-12 at 08:56 AM.
    Biases: Hu Ge, Qiao Zhenyu, Liu Shi Shi
    Jiang Hu Fansubs - Recruiting members (especially translators).

^^ The last time I checked, Kim Kibum was irrelevant in K-pop or among ELFs. Well maybe not in the K-Drama fandom.

LOL I think so my Korean friend told me that her father is really interested in Chinese Wuxia. c:
    Now that I think about it, it's not surprising that some Koreans do get the idea of Chinese Wuxia. I mean, some wuxia shows such as ROTCH '06 or DOMD '08 got subtitled in Korean and they got pretty famous in Korea, so...yeah.

Was excited to see new version of DGSD with Kim Kimbum playing Duan Yu --> thinking he was that guy in Boys Over Flowers. I almost had heart attack when I saw his picture and then realized I had the wrong guy in my mind. Kim Bum was much much cuter than this guy.

I guess now after the popular Gangnam style took over the world, anything Korean is probably going to be slipped in any sort of entertainment.

The casting was before Gangnam Style, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
    Was excited to see new version of DGSD with Kim Kimbum playing Duan Yu --> thinking he was that guy in Boys Over Flowers. I almost had heart attack when I saw his picture and then realized I had the wrong guy in my mind. Kim Bum was much much cuter than this guy.
    Hey me too!

This Kibum looks cute in his own way in real life, but as Duan Yu, eww. Maybe it's the hairdo and costume. He just doesn't look flattering.

Yes, I do agree that the DY's actor can be better.

In terms of Korean actors, I have just completed watching the Korean series Baek Dong Su. Would the character who play Yeo Un be better for DY?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I meant from now on

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6d0f4cafjw1dz0d4z5a9jj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/92f58feegw1dz0ccrkwtvj.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
    Kim Bum would've been great. He probably has other projects though.

I don't know why Duan Yu is suddenly a pretty boy, starting with Jimmy Lin. He's supposed to be a boring nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by zhxzhx View Post
    Do Koreans even understand Wuxia?
    I don't know how popular it is but a lot of my native Korean friends watch it (not ABK but those that grew up in Korea). It's funny because they know all about the Jing Yong books since they were translated and I think the series are dubbed as well.

There are a lot of more masculine Korean celebs like Joo Jin-mo or Lee Jeong-jae. But if you notice, they're all in their late-30s. So yeah, it does seem like the younger celebs they have found are more androgynous. Though some are really nice, like Ji Hyun-woo But I guess the better celebs were too expensive to all put in one since Wallace is in this too.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Ge-C.Liu View Post
    To be honest, I'm very much disappointed at how this adaption has turned out so far (in all aspects).
    The 1997 version is by far my favourite. The 2003 version was okay in certain parts, although at the time, Liu Tao was basically the only reason why I ended up watching it.

If I do end up watching it, I'll probably be watching the Qiao Feng & Ah Zhu scenes. I'm finding it hard to stomach the fact that a Korean actor is portraying a role in a mainland WUXIA drama.
    Totally agree. So far this looks like a disaster. And I also like the 1997 version the best. Also since this version is based on the 3rd revision, I didn't really like that either.

Except I actually love pan-Asian collaborations. I wish there were more Chinese-Korean-Japanese-Thai-etc working together because I believe it would help improve all Asian entertainment on a whole.

I'm just annoyed though that this guy doesn't seem to fit DY's character that well. Like the actor that wkeej posted would have been a better fit.

Sigh...

Zong Feng Yan as Murong Fu (aside from not having the aura of MRF, I have nothing bad to say about this portrayal). IMO, he looks slightly similar to the Murong Fu in ZJZ's 2003 version.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/63640d37jw1dz0ebhazurj.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://bak2.beareyes.com.cn/2/lib/200703/26/073/2.jpg')

OMG. Just saw the latest DY's pictures. My headache has become worse. I need to sleep. Good-nite.

MRF is that boring guy from SNYJJ. Meh. Okay, this WYY-DY couple is reeeaaally not working for me. Idk, I think they should have a Chinese actor as DY and it would have been that easy. I just don't like the look of Korean actors and their acting styles are a little strange to me. I think it's going to be fairly obvious they're Korean.
    Last edited by Dragon Heiress; 11-19-12 at 05:40 PM.

KKB looked soooooo much cuter in modern clothes ..well he is Korean LOL. Don't kill me but I actually find him really cute...suitable for the role? No.

Well I thinks he looks better with his partial hair back...like the first picture.

MRF eww.

WYY are you kidding me??