Thread: Suggestions on improving the Wuxia Translations forum

Default Suggestions on improving the Wuxia Translations forum

It's heartening to see that our Wuxia Translations forum is still so active with great fan translations and contributions. I was wondering what we can do to help translators and readers in some way? Some things that popped in my mind:

1) Re-enabling our reading rooms translations for better organization.
    2) Sponsoring translators to get works published
    3) Better tools for writing and reading and organizing the content? community-driven, wiki-style
    4) Separate section for our wuxia fans?
    5) Other?

All suggestions welcomed. Not sure if we can implement everything but I want to hear feedback from you and see what we can do!
    Last edited by spcnet; 11-16-12 at 01:19 PM.
    -SC

I think the quickest and easiest way to improve it would be the re-opening of the Reading Rooms. New translations constantly push old ones to the bottom, and a forum is, honestly, not the best place to store these translations or access them
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I think the quickest and easiest way to improve it would be the re-opening of the Reading Rooms. New translations constantly push old ones to the bottom, and a forum is, honestly, not the best place to store these translations or access them
    A forum is fine if it is organized to some degree. Take a look at how I do it at Among the Rivers and Lakes. There is an index which allows all translations to be found easily, and on the forum page there are tags showing the completion status of each translation.

The translation index has been poorly maintained here. For example, devilz91's translation of A Deadly Secret has been complete for over a year and has still not been added to the index. Nor has davilz91's ongoing translation of Liang Yusheng's Legend of the Hero Beyond the Great Wall been added.

I've had several people talk with me about how hard it is to find what one is looking for here. And I know from experience they are correct. But it doesn't have to be that way. You can keep things easy to find, as the example I've given you shows.

It's a shame too, because a lot of work has gone into these translations over the years. They deserve better treatment than what they receive here.

Don't blame it on the software. Blame it on whoever is responsible for maintaining the translation index.

Default Translations

I'd really like to be able to get the translations in an ebook or even rtf format. Generally what I've had to do is copy and paste the text into a text editor, then reformat it.
    There are some pdfs (ROCH), but free flow text is much better for my kindle.

Re-opening the Reading Room, Better indexing would be nice.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

I recommend adapting Baka Tsuki way, using wiki for translations. It will be more organized too.