Thread: Psy apologies for rapping about killing US soldiers

Default Psy apologies for rapping about killing US soldiers

Psy $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02422/psy_2422211b.jpg')apologies for rapping about killing US soldiers

The South Korean rapper behind the worldwide hit 'Gangam Style' has apologised unreservedly for singing about killing American soldiers in 2004.

Psy said that he was "forever sorry" for the show in which he said US troops should die "slowly and painfully" and called them "------- Yankees".

Now US President Barack Obama is facing calls not to attend the taping of a Christmas concert on Sunday in which Psy is scheduled to perform.

An online petition is urging him and his family to stay away as a mark of respect to American troops, but the White House has said he will be going.

Gangam Style has been number one in the charts in more than 30 countries and its video has become the most watched of all time on YouTube, having more than 900 million views.

Psy, 34, whose real name is Park Jae-sang, made his rant during the Iraq War which caused high anti-American feeling in South Korea, where 28,500 US troops are based.

The rage was fuelled in 2002 when a 50-tonne American military ran over and killed two 13-year-old Korean girls in Gwangjeok, 20 miles north of the capital Seoul.
    In his concert Psy told the audience: "Kill those ------- Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives.
    "Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers. Kill them all slowly and painfully."
    It later emerged that in 2002 Psy had also smashed a model of a US tank on stage during another performance.
    The response on the internet was swift and the hashtag ''GangnamStyleHatesAmerica' soon began trending on Twitter.
    Among those leaving comments was @StacyOnTheRight wrote, who said: "Perhaps Psy would like to address his ridiculous raps to me directly. I'm a veteran."
    In a lengthy apology released through his publicist, Psy said that he had respect for America having been educated there and that he understood the "sacrifices" of US troops.
    He said: "While I'm grateful for the freedom to express one's self I've learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I'm deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted.
    "I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words.
    "I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so.
    "In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that through music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."

link
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-soldiers.html

LOL! I'm kind of amused... but I can see where he's coming from. I'm pretty much against the US setting up base in Singapore - it's hard to tell when and where they will strike.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Nothing changes hearts like cold, hard, American cash.

Edit: The USA is setting up a base because Singapore's leaders are afraid of the Commies in China attacking and asserting their Heavenly Mandate across Asia. For this same reason, Singapore has always had a (discreet) military relationship with the Nationalists on Taiwan. Lee Kwan Yew was a close personal friend of Chiang Ching-kuo.

Of all the members of ASEAN, only Cambodia isn't afraid of China. Possibly Laos. Everybody else wants to keep the Commies in China at arms length politically. Hell, even Burma is loosening political control over their own populace to court American favor to counter-balance Communist Chinese aggression.
    Last edited by Dirt; 12-10-12 at 01:12 PM.