Thread: Journey to the West 2013

Default Journey to the West 2013

Has anyone seen the new Stephen Chow directed Journey to the West starring Shu Qi? I think Stephen Chow's new style of comedy (ala slapstick Kung Fu Hustle) is not my cup of tea.

-SC

On this site here........

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/movie/journey_to_the_west/

.....it said the cost $300 million usd to produce this which I think is very disappointing since it will only be a two hours long movie.
    With 300 million, they coulda just produce another TV series Journey to the West and that would be awesome.

Bring back TVB Hong Kong as the better one rather than the series currently produced in the mainland.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Remake of Jin Yong's novel series in the mainland is uber boring. and many ccp are just looking to make the film as a tool to teach more ccp thing about ccp rather than making a tv series just a tv series to watch and enjoy. too many hidden messages promoting the ccp.

At least Zhang Jizhong producer can look beyond that but his 66 episodes of JTTW 2011 was edited down.

Zhang Jizhong is making a Journey to the West Theme Park which should be interesting.

Last edited by kidd; 02-14-13 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Hide off topic part

I just watched this movie.

Its not too bad, I laughed a bit, some of the plot elements seemed forced but there are also genuine things that I like.

Performance by actors was solid, camerawork and CGI was not bad too.

In retrospect to the other Journey to West Movie that Stephen Chow made close to 20 years ago, this movie seemed more controlled but in doing so lost a lot of the spontaneity of the originals.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Screw the haters, this movie was actually good and hilarious. I enjoyed all of it and definately would recommend it.

It's not bad and better than I had expected although it's not as "epic" as Chow's earlier 2-parter classic.

I thought it was quite good. It wasn't as funny as the ones from the 90's but it had some moments. The 90's time travel loop has got to be one of the funniest scenes.

This version shock me a bit on how they introduced the three disciple. More true to their nature rather then the more PG rated versions from before.

The main actor was very good, I don't have a clue who he was gem.

Shu Qi...I've never liked her before but I liked her a lot in this movie.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Movie was very good.

I didn't watch the whole movie, but saw quite a lot of it while standing outside the video shops. It reminded me very much of Kungfu Hustle - great effects, filming and quite an epic feel, but very short on laughs. It tries very hard to be funny and occasionally makes me smile (those four elderly maids were funny) but just lacks that Stephen Chow burst-out-laughing feel to it. Maybe if it wasn't a Stephen Chow movie I'd be inclined to like it more as a slapstick magical adventure, but Stephen's traditional fare was of such a high standard I cannot but feel let down by this in the same way as Kungfu Hustle.

need more chrissie chau, shes so hawt. her scene in this whole movie is like 5min
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I didn't watch the whole movie, but saw quite a lot of it while standing outside the video shops. It reminded me very much of Kungfu Hustle - great effects, filming and quite an epic feel, but very short on laughs. It tries very hard to be funny and occasionally makes me smile (those four elderly maids were funny) but just lacks that Stephen Chow burst-out-laughing feel to it. Maybe if it wasn't a Stephen Chow movie I'd be inclined to like it more as a slapstick magical adventure, but Stephen's traditional fare was of such a high standard I cannot but feel let down by this in the same way as Kungfu Hustle.
    There aren't very many actors that can carry a movie in the way Stephen Chow used to though -- even he can't really do it anymore because of his older age (and he has aged really terribly recently it seems!). I think another reason for this new style is because of the large budget involved in it which makes it necessary to make it a bit more international so they can earn their money back. The older Stephen Chow movies (aside from Shaolin Soccer probably) really required understanding of Cantonese to appreciate their awesomeness. This movie is easily accessible to people with no knowledge of Journey to the West and doesn't reference or require a lot of knowledge of Chinese culture. I think the only scene that might be weird was the scene with the old ladies -- it was very reminiscent of Stephen's old comedy that probably doesn't translate that well to foreigners.

My only criticism is the first scene with the the fish demon was shot beautifully and Piggy's origin was also pretty damn fantastic but after that it slowed down considerably until the Monkey King revealed himself.

Typing this post just ruined my day. I'm now going to stay in and watch Royal Tramp 1 and 2, God of Cookery, and possibly Love on Delivery.
    Last edited by tape; 06-16-13 at 07:20 PM.