Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Hong Kong Depart from the Mainland?

Question Should Hong Kong Depart from the Mainland?

Hong Kong is already well off, they don't actually need the MainLand.
    Most Hong Konger speak cantonese anyway but the ccp want them to be educated in Mandarin.

Last edited by SweetSourSalt; 02-24-13 at 11:37 PM.

SweetSourSalt, you are such a Chinese hater. What did they do to you to cause you to hate the entire Chinese race?

Why is it that only the mainlander ccp get to make the decision? there are many in that video that seems to not want the ccp too.

Uhhh Trien Chieu, what's wrong with wanting hong kong to be it own country? Why must it be with the ccp when the ccp don't even allow them to speak their cantonese language while they are doing things to make them learn mandarin?

why would hk vote a pro-china president lol

cant blame anyone but themselves
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSourSalt View Post
    Why is it that only the mainlander ccp get to make the decision?
    Oh, I don't know...maybe it's their huge military might compared to Hong Kong's...nonmilitary vulnerability?

We live in the real world; things follow the rules of realpolitik.

But I highly doubt they would resort to that because the entire planet would be looking at them saying it's wrong. Plus I think their capability is just for show off, sure they are high in quantity but in quality, I think it's not there yet.

I think if Hong Kong really wanted to, the rest of the planet would join in and make it happen.

Countries like Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Flip Island, Laos, Myamar, and many other south eastern asian countries are getting worry about the expansion of the ccp also.

Among them, Russia is worry that the ccp is getting into Mongolia.
    India is also worry.

It seems as if the ccp have this expansion grid well planned.

But I highly doubt they would resort to that because the entire planet would be looking at them saying it's wrong.
    It doesn't matter; those countries also follow the rule of realpolitik. There will be plenty of sanctimonious hand-wringing and slaps on the wrist for China, but ultimately, nobody is going to risk their interests for little old Hong Kong.

Now if Hong Kong were a repository for oil like Kuwait, it might be a different story...

Then again, no...China is *not* Iraq.

Why is it that only the mainlander ccp get to make the decision? there are many in that video that seems to not want the ccp too.

Uhhh Trien Chieu, what's wrong with wanting hong kong to be it own country? Why must it be with the ccp when the ccp don't even allow them to speak their cantonese language while they are doing things to make them learn mandarin?
    I don't know the situation but if the protest continues and becomes to big to handle, martial law will be declare. Do you want the Hong Kongers get the same fate as the ones from Beijing back in 1989? I don't. By the way, I am not a fan of the CCP and I believe people from Hong Kong have every right to keep Cantonese as their main language.

So how will they speak cantonese in the future if the ccp keep going toward teaching them mandarin?

So how will they speak cantonese in the future if the ccp keep going toward teaching them mandarin?
    The way they always have: learning it at home and using it on the street. The CCP might be bastards, but even they'd see the foolishness of sending their enforcers with truncheons down to Hong Kong to beat up anybody heard speaking Cantonese.

But they are sending their teacher down to teach mandarin. And taking over TV shows with mandarin TV shows.
    after school studies, many other ways to get them to learn it.

even many in guangzhuo feel it.

I think even the Republic of China would have a problem with this.

Hong Kong would love to join China (not the CCP) because I don't know...maybe their families and friends are there.
    You know how many people from Hong Kong go back to the mainland everyday? That's with sometimes hours upon hours of going through the borders. Yet, people like my uncle's families do this all the time.

There's a difference between Hong Kong wanting to go back to China and Hong Kong losing its democracy because of the CCP. Hong Kong people are Chinese and they wanted to be part of China all along. What they don't want (and most of us as well) is no democracy. They want to talk about 1989 without repercussion unlike people in the mainland.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with China wanting people in Hong Kong to learn Mandarin. I do have a problem if the CCP wants Cantonese people to stop using Cantonese (but I don't think they've ever done that yet). I also have a problem with China thinking Mandarin is more important than English. When I was at the Beijing airport, a cop stopped me and started speaking to me in Mandarin. So, I spoke to him in English and then he tells me to speak China language (in Mandarin as he didn't speak a word of English). Ok, so I then started speaking to him in Cantonese (as my Mandarin is really bad and Cantonese is a China language) and he didn't understand me. He and then later his colleagues all kept speaking to me in Mandarin (very rudely)... I had no choice, but to just use my crappy Mandarin to speak to them. Luckily, I know a little Mandarin, but I'm of Cantonese decent who grew up in Canada. I mean, you and your colleagues are cops working at the Beijing airport so you should speak English. Do you expect all foreigners to speak Mandarin (even though I didn't look like a foreigner to them and they saw my Canadian passport). If you were working outside the airport, like in the city, I can understand you not speaking English. But to work at the airport and you don't speak English, how do you expect to stop foreigners if you suspect them of carrying drugs, weapons, etc...English is more important than Mandarin in these circumstances and they should have cops capable of speaking English here. I mean, all the airlines' staff members at the airport speak English. The cashiers at the airport speaks English. Yet, cops at the Beijing airport can't speak it. Not only that, but they thought I would remember my aunt's address in Zhongshan cause the street address was in English pingyin. They obviously weren't very educated cause pingyin isn't even English. It's just using alphabets to make as close to a sound of a Chinese character. How am I supposed to remember that?
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 02-26-13 at 12:41 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    Hong Kong would love to join China (not the CCP) because I don't know...maybe their families and friends are there.
    You know how many people from Hong Kong go back to the mainland everyday? That's with sometimes hours upon hours of going through the borders. Yet, people like my uncle's families do this all the time.

There's a difference between Hong Kong wanting to go back to China and Hong Kong losing its democracy because of the CCP. Hong Kong people are Chinese and they wanted to be part of China all along. What they don't want (and most of us as well) is no democracy. They want to talk about 1989 without repercussion unlike people in the mainland.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with China wanting people in Hong Kong to learn Mandarin. I do have a problem if the CCP wants Cantonese people to stop using Cantonese (but I don't think they've ever done that yet). I also have a problem with China thinking Mandarin is more important than English. When I was at the Beijing airport, a cop stopped me and started speaking to me in Mandarin. So, I spoke to him in English and then he tells me to speak China language (in Mandarin as he didn't speak a word of English). Ok, so I then started speaking to him in Cantonese (as my Mandarin is really bad and Cantonese is a China language) and he didn't understand me. He and then later his colleagues all kept speaking to me in Mandarin (very rudely)... I had no choice, but to just use my crappy Mandarin to speak to them. Luckily, I know a little Mandarin, but I'm of Cantonese decent who grew up in Canada. I mean, you and your colleagues are cops working at the Beijing airport so you should speak English. Do you expect all foreigners to speak Mandarin (even though I didn't look like a foreigner to them and they saw my Canadian passport). If you were working outside the airport, like in the city, I can understand you not speaking English. But to work at the airport and you don't speak English, how do you expect to stop foreigners if you suspect them of carrying drugs, weapons, etc...English is more important than Mandarin in these circumstances and they should have cops capable of speaking English here. I mean, all the airlines' staff members at the airport speak English. The cashiers at the airport speaks English. Yet, cops at the Beijing airport can't speak it. Not only that, but they thought I would remember my aunt's address in Zhongshan cause the street address was in English pingyin. They obviously weren't very educated cause pingyin isn't even English. It's just using alphabets to make as close to a sound of a Chinese character. How am I supposed to remember that?
    well lets be honest here, u cant go to a foreign country and expect them to speak english. its like a chinese coming to america and expecting us to speak mandarin.

the ccp themselves don't like the mainlander, just look at 1989 for example, they brought in excessive force. So who exactly represent the mass in Mainland? If some in GuangZhuo and Hong Kong as consider a minority. while of course the ccp is just a small group too if compared to more than 1 billion of the mainlander.
    Last edited by SweetSourSalt; 02-26-13 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    well lets be honest here, u cant go to a foreign country and expect them to speak english. its like a chinese coming to america and expecting us to speak mandarin.
    I don't expect the people in the country to know English. What I do expect is cops working at a major airport in China to speak English. I mean, the guy selling chocolate bars at the airport speaks English, yet a cop who's got to deal with tons of foreigners going through the airport doesn't speak English??? How exactly would that work out cause it won't. They're lucky I spoke crappy Mandarin or else they'll have to find an interpreter. What pissed me off more was that they expected me to speak Mandarin just cause I looked Chinese to them (so they expect all Chinese looking people throughout the planet to speak Mandarin just cause they're crossing through China... hmm...).

Anyway on a different note, English is mandatory learning in China now (starting from kindergarten on) so how can a cop working at a major airport not speak English? English is everywhere in China (in terms of signs) so it's not like the example you gave. There's a major difference between English and Mandarin as one of the 2 languages is used throughout the planet.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 02-26-13 at 08:33 PM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    I don't expect the people in the country to know English. What I do expect is cops working at a major airport in China to speak English. I mean, the guy selling chocolate bars at the airport speaks English, yet a cop who's got to deal with tons of foreigners going through the airport doesn't speak English??? How exactly would that work out cause it won't. They're lucky I spoke crappy Mandarin or else they'll have to find an interpreter. What pissed me off more was that they expected me to speak Mandarin just cause I looked Chinese to them (so they expect all Chinese looking people throughout the planet to speak Mandarin just cause they're crossing through China... hmm...).

Anyway on a different note, English is mandatory learning in China now (starting from kindergarten on) so how can a cop working at a major airport not speak English? English is everywhere in China (in terms of signs) so it's not like the example you gave. There's a major difference between English and Mandarin as one of the 2 languages is used throughout the planet.
    ah ic, true, didnt know its mandatory lol, then i agree with u lol. funny how chocolate bar selling knows more english than the cop lol

Even the mongolian feel the worry of the ccp.

Even the mongolian feel the worry of the ccp.

lol buddy, u can google "xxx (a specific group of people or a specific place) dislike xxx (a specific place or a specific government)" and u'll find 1000000000 results. dont be so naive by a couple videos, but i do respect your enthusiasm toward your belief lol