Thread: The Deer and the Cauldron

Cool The Deer and the Cauldron

Hi everyone.
    I am currently translating the John Minford adaptation or "Translation" from English into German.
    I read the Fan Translation, or parts of it and also I am very Interested in the Parts that have been left out.
    I do have a Background in Wushu and as such, reading JM's translation he does lack the General understanding of Wushu.
    Also the Western world, poisoned by Religion does not understand Qi, and the flow of it.
    So how can you translate a Chinese Novel without even understanding the fundamental Principal of Chines Culture?

Anyway, Martial Arts is quite wide spread in Germany, such as German Jiujitsu and Ving Tsung.
    When I tried to learn WT in Germany I didn't like it, because it emphasizes on Anger, where as I understand it, WT is absolute "Zen" to be good at. You don't understand Zen, or "Qi Gung" for that matter, you don't understand Gung Fu.

I want to fill in the Blanks of "The Deer and the Cauldron" that have been left out by JM.
    Also I want to check the Characters Names and do it more Justice.
    Anything that anyone wants to mention is very much appreciated.

I love the Book, and I want to do a great Job.

Foxs translation of DOMD in the Translation Forum is a very good version (I would say much better because it leaves many Chinese elements intact) that does not leave any of the story out - JM leaves huge chunks of the book out.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Foxs translation of DOMD in the Translation Forum is a very good version (I would say much better because it leaves many Chinese elements intact) that does not leave any of the story out - JM leaves huge chunks of the book out.
    I know, and I read a lot of it.
    Do you know where to get the PDF of it?
    JM's translation sometimes makes little sense, also I intend of using more Original Names.
    It is a huge project but I love every minute of it.
    DOMD is not so much a WUXIA Novel, it is a semi historical account of what has happened in China.
    As such if I get this Translation right (and I damn well do it) It could be a bridge between two cultures that grossly misunderstand each other.
    That is my Aim.