Thread: Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

Default Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

Yesterday, veteran Hong Kong actor Kong Ngai (江毅) passed away in Ruttonjee Hospital due to lung cancer, at the age of 81.
    Kong Ngai gained fame perfecting the role of Guo Jing’s blind master in TVB’s 1983 and 1994 adaptations of The Legend of the Condor Heroes <射鵰英雄傳>. Kong was one of the most prolific, yet understated actor from the 1970s and 1980s.$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.jaynestars.com/wp-content/uploads/cache/22279_500.jpg')
    Link
    http://www.jaynestars.com/news/obitu...m-lung-cancer/

R.I.P

I'm going to miss this guy's work. Growing up watching numerous TVB series during the 1970s and 1980s, I saw Kong Ngai portray a wide array of characters: despicable wuxia villain, valiant wuxia master, criminal scum, father figure, comical foil...he did it ALL.

I must have seen him in several dozen different roles over the years, but none more memorable than as Gong Nam 7 Freaks leader Ohr Jen Ngok. So great was he in this role that TVB asked him to portray the role twice, a decade apart.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ent.southcn.com/8/images/attachement/jpg/site4/20130314/29/14559184511011378129.jpg')

All respect due to the star actors, it was character actors such as Kong Ngai who were the real heroes of TVB's Golden 80s; the decade would not have been the same without them.

All the great Hong Kong character actors of my youth are leaving us.

RIP, Kong Ngai.

The guy was very cool in lot of 80s tv serials. His acting was good but lot of his dub voice in Vietnamese sounded funny in lot of serials. It wasn't his fault.
    RIP, Kong Ngai.

RIP, Kong Ngai. Another wonderful Hong Kong actor has bid farewell to the world.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    The guy was very cool in lot of 80s tv serials. His acting was good but lot of his dub voice in Vietnamese sounded funny in lot of serials. It wasn't his fault.
    RIP, Kong Ngai.
    Like many old school actors, Kong Ngai did as much acting with his voice as he did his facial expressions, gestures, and body language. Not hearing his original dialogue in his own voice detracts from the experience of watching him act.

Kong Ngai, especially, was an actor who had a very distinctive voice and enunciation style.

My first memory of him was as Cheng Kun (Sing Kwan) in Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 1979, and no Cheng Kun has ever come close to portraying that pantomime villain. He oozed treachery with every word, chuckled with unparalleled malice and spoke with a very slow, calm, cool, even tone which you always felt could burst into something horrible if he but chose to. Not to say there weren't better Cheng Kuns (Zhang Guoli and Lau Kong were also excellent, and Kong Ngai perhaps looked too obviously evil for the role), but he was by far the most memorable. Apart from his Ke Zhener, his Dongfang Dubai in XAJH 86, Yang Wulang in Amazons of the Yeung, "Kong Yer" in Cold Blood Warm Heart and his Old Man Sun in Romantic Swordsman come to mind as really memorable roles for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    My first memory of him was as Cheng Kun (Sing Kwan) in Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 1979, and no Cheng Kun has ever come close to portraying that pantomime villain. He oozed treachery with every word, chuckled with unparalleled malice and spoke with a very slow, calm, cool, even tone which you always felt could burst into something horrible if he but chose to. Not to say there weren't better Cheng Kuns (Zhang Guoli and Lau Kong were also excellent, and Kong Ngai perhaps looked too obviously evil for the role), but he was by far the most memorable. Apart from his Ke Zhener, his Dongfang Dubai in XAJH 86, Yang Wulang in Amazons of the Yeung, "Kong Yer" in Cold Blood Warm Heart and his Old Man Sun in Romantic Swordsman come to mind as really memorable roles for me.
    He also played three fantastic villains in the 1970s LUK SIU FUNG series: Yim Teet San in Part 1, Eunuch Wong in Part 2, and the Housekeeper in Part 3.

Very sad indeed. My favorite role of his was in Legend of the Condor Heroes. We just added his profile to document his dramas:

http://www.spcnet.tv/Kong-Ngai-ac3365.html
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    Very sad indeed. My favorite role of his was in Legend of the Condor Heroes. We just added his profile to document his dramas:

http://www.spcnet.tv/Kong-Ngai-ac3365.html
    His filmography is missing several TVB roles. Those which come to mind are Yeung Ng Long from "Yeung Mun Lui Cheong" (Amazons of the Yang?), Tou On Gu from "Haw Gam Dong Tin" (Filial piety moves the heavens), one of the two elders (from the "Three Immortals, Two Elders"-but I can't remember his name for now) in "Legend of the Zu Mountain", and some eunuch in Leon Lai's "Chun Man Kung Chuen Kei" in 1989. He also had two roles in the Romantic Swordsman in the 70s - the monk Sum Mei in the first half, and Old Man Sun in the second half. I'll see if I can find better details..
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 03-18-13 at 11:42 PM.

His filmography is missing several TVB roles. Those which come to mind are Yeung Ng Long from "Yeung Mun Lui Cheong" (Amazons of the Yang?), Tou On Gu from "Haw Gam Dong Tin" (Filial piety moves the heavens), one of the two elders (from the "Three Immortals, Two Elders"-but I can't remember his name for now) in "Legend of the Zu Mountain", and some eunuch in Leon Lai's "Chun Man Kung Chuen Kei" in 1989. He also had two roles in the Romantic Swordsman in the 70s - the monk Sum Mei in the first half, and Old Man Sun in the second half. I'll see if I can find better details..
    He was also Kiu Fung's Shaolin martial arts teacher, monk Yeun Fu, in DGSD '81.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    He was also Kiu Fung's Shaolin martial arts teacher, monk Yeun Fu, in DGSD '81.
    Ah, no wonder I saw DGSD quoted on one of the other websites - I was killing myself trying to think who he was. Thanks!

Ah, no wonder I saw DGSD quoted on one of the other websites - I was killing myself trying to think who he was. Thanks!
    He should get the title "Teacher of Heroes," because other than villains, that was the kind of role he most often played.

He also played a villain in "The Foundation". His hairdo is very funny in that series.