+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

  1. #1
    Senior Member galvatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    361

    Default Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

    Obituary: Hong Kong Actor, Kong Ngai, Died from Lung Cancer

    Yesterday, veteran Hong Kong actor Kong Ngai (江毅) passed away in Ruttonjee Hospital due to lung cancer, at the age of 81.
    Kong Ngai gained fame perfecting the role of Guo Jingís blind master in TVBís 1983 and 1994 adaptations of The Legend of the Condor Heroes <射鵰英雄傳>. Kong was one of the most prolific, yet understated actor from the 1970s and 1980s.
    Link
    http://www.jaynestars.com/news/obitu...m-lung-cancer/

    R.I.P

  2. #2
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    I'm going to miss this guy's work. Growing up watching numerous TVB series during the 1970s and 1980s, I saw Kong Ngai portray a wide array of characters: despicable wuxia villain, valiant wuxia master, criminal scum, father figure, comical foil...he did it ALL.

    I must have seen him in several dozen different roles over the years, but none more memorable than as Gong Nam 7 Freaks leader Ohr Jen Ngok. So great was he in this role that TVB asked him to portray the role twice, a decade apart.



    All respect due to the star actors, it was character actors such as Kong Ngai who were the real heroes of TVB's Golden 80s; the decade would not have been the same without them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    All the great Hong Kong character actors of my youth are leaving us.

    RIP, Kong Ngai.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    3,913

    Default

    The guy was very cool in lot of 80s tv serials. His acting was good but lot of his dub voice in Vietnamese sounded funny in lot of serials. It wasn't his fault.
    RIP, Kong Ngai.

  5. #5
    Senior Member junny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    With Max
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    RIP, Kong Ngai. Another wonderful Hong Kong actor has bid farewell to the world.
    夏雪宜

  6. #6
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    The guy was very cool in lot of 80s tv serials. His acting was good but lot of his dub voice in Vietnamese sounded funny in lot of serials. It wasn't his fault.
    RIP, Kong Ngai.
    Like many old school actors, Kong Ngai did as much acting with his voice as he did his facial expressions, gestures, and body language. Not hearing his original dialogue in his own voice detracts from the experience of watching him act.

    Kong Ngai, especially, was an actor who had a very distinctive voice and enunciation style.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,244

    Default

    My first memory of him was as Cheng Kun (Sing Kwan) in Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 1979, and no Cheng Kun has ever come close to portraying that pantomime villain. He oozed treachery with every word, chuckled with unparalleled malice and spoke with a very slow, calm, cool, even tone which you always felt could burst into something horrible if he but chose to. Not to say there weren't better Cheng Kuns (Zhang Guoli and Lau Kong were also excellent, and Kong Ngai perhaps looked too obviously evil for the role), but he was by far the most memorable. Apart from his Ke Zhener, his Dongfang Dubai in XAJH 86, Yang Wulang in Amazons of the Yeung, "Kong Yer" in Cold Blood Warm Heart and his Old Man Sun in Romantic Swordsman come to mind as really memorable roles for me.

  8. #8
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    My first memory of him was as Cheng Kun (Sing Kwan) in Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 1979, and no Cheng Kun has ever come close to portraying that pantomime villain. He oozed treachery with every word, chuckled with unparalleled malice and spoke with a very slow, calm, cool, even tone which you always felt could burst into something horrible if he but chose to. Not to say there weren't better Cheng Kuns (Zhang Guoli and Lau Kong were also excellent, and Kong Ngai perhaps looked too obviously evil for the role), but he was by far the most memorable. Apart from his Ke Zhener, his Dongfang Dubai in XAJH 86, Yang Wulang in Amazons of the Yeung, "Kong Yer" in Cold Blood Warm Heart and his Old Man Sun in Romantic Swordsman come to mind as really memorable roles for me.
    He also played three fantastic villains in the 1970s LUK SIU FUNG series: Yim Teet San in Part 1, Eunuch Wong in Part 2, and the Housekeeper in Part 3.

  9. #9
    Administrator spcnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,885

    Default

    Very sad indeed. My favorite role of his was in Legend of the Condor Heroes. We just added his profile to document his dramas:

    http://www.spcnet.tv/Kong-Ngai-ac3365.html
    -SC

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    Very sad indeed. My favorite role of his was in Legend of the Condor Heroes. We just added his profile to document his dramas:

    http://www.spcnet.tv/Kong-Ngai-ac3365.html
    His filmography is missing several TVB roles. Those which come to mind are Yeung Ng Long from "Yeung Mun Lui Cheong" (Amazons of the Yang?), Tou On Gu from "Haw Gam Dong Tin" (Filial piety moves the heavens), one of the two elders (from the "Three Immortals, Two Elders"-but I can't remember his name for now) in "Legend of the Zu Mountain", and some eunuch in Leon Lai's "Chun Man Kung Chuen Kei" in 1989. He also had two roles in the Romantic Swordsman in the 70s - the monk Sum Mei in the first half, and Old Man Sun in the second half. I'll see if I can find better details..
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 03-18-13 at 11:42 PM.

  11. #11
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    His filmography is missing several TVB roles. Those which come to mind are Yeung Ng Long from "Yeung Mun Lui Cheong" (Amazons of the Yang?), Tou On Gu from "Haw Gam Dong Tin" (Filial piety moves the heavens), one of the two elders (from the "Three Immortals, Two Elders"-but I can't remember his name for now) in "Legend of the Zu Mountain", and some eunuch in Leon Lai's "Chun Man Kung Chuen Kei" in 1989. He also had two roles in the Romantic Swordsman in the 70s - the monk Sum Mei in the first half, and Old Man Sun in the second half. I'll see if I can find better details..
    He was also Kiu Fung's Shaolin martial arts teacher, monk Yeun Fu, in DGSD '81.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    He was also Kiu Fung's Shaolin martial arts teacher, monk Yeun Fu, in DGSD '81.
    Ah, no wonder I saw DGSD quoted on one of the other websites - I was killing myself trying to think who he was. Thanks!

  13. #13
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Ah, no wonder I saw DGSD quoted on one of the other websites - I was killing myself trying to think who he was. Thanks!
    He should get the title "Teacher of Heroes," because other than villains, that was the kind of role he most often played.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    3,913

    Default

    He also played a villain in "The Foundation". His hairdo is very funny in that series.

Similar Threads

  1. Hong Kong Actor Ricky Hui 許冠英 Passed Away
    By convoy in forum Entertainment News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-24-11, 09:38 AM
  2. Places to go in Hong Kong
    By stn9384 in forum Travel and Food
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-03-08, 11:50 AM
  3. Hong Kong TV in Australia
    By thedov in forum Global Series Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-08, 07:42 AM
  4. HONG KONG '81, '82, '83, '84, '85...
    By Ken Cheng in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-08, 05:48 AM
  5. Hong Kong + Macau
    By jay_z in forum Travel and Food
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-07, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts