Thread: Which is the best version of HSDS you've watched?

Default Which is the best version of HSDS you've watched?

Hi all, I've just rediscovered the Condor Hero trilogy. I used to watch LOCH and ROCH A LOT when I was very young. I never knew they were connected at all. But now, I've rewatched the 1983 and 1985 versions (my favorites) and I am wondering which version of of HSDS is best in your opinion?

Thanks all!

Best version of the trilogy:
    LOCH82: Felix Wong, Barbara Yung, Michael Miu, Patrick Tse
    ROCH 83: Andy Lau, Idy Chan, Kent Tong, Annie Liu
    HSDS 86: Tony Leung, Sharen Tang, Kitty Lai, Maggie Siu, Margie Tsang, Simon Yam, Dodo Cheng

I also think the version with Tony Leung is the best so far.

I've decided to watch the Tony Leung version. I'm 3 episodes in so far! Pretty good. Except the music is pretty bad compared to LOCH82 and ROCH 85

86 version of HSDS is definitely the best, and also the ROCH is 83 I believe not 85

2000 JKJK

1986 probably.

I can't think of a single one which I don't like.. ZJZ's HSDS 2009 was arguably the least enjoyable in terms of story-flow, but a brilliant Zhao Min saved the entire show for me. Then there was the Taiwan version with Kathy Chow which was quite decent, but Yip Tung as Zhao Min didn't quite work for me, even though she did a decent job - a complete opposite from the ZJZ version.

I'll probably break convention and go for HSDS 79 for sentimental reasons - my oldest living memory of TV was watching Adam Cheng crawl through the tunnel and sit on a stone slab, with spotlights alternating between red and green, and every time I watch that serial I feel 30+ years younger! I even enjoy Cheung Mut Yau's Song Yuanqiao's 30-second leap in slow motion...

I liked HSDS 86 a lot too, but the music doesn't even come close to the 79 version, and has arguably the weakest themesong of the lot, with all due respect to the late Anita Mui. I also enjoyed Alec Su's version a lot - Alyssia Chia and Gao Yuanyuan gave really great performances, but the production quality didn't really have a professional feel to it with too much badly-done CGI.

For sentimental reason, I like Adam Cheng's HSDS. All was fine until ZM jumped off the cliff.

I like China series Alec Su, Alyssia Chia and GYY's series too. I still can remember Alyssia's "commando somersault" and Alec smiling all the way. GYY's depiction of ZZR was great. Possibly because of her acting, I began to find ZZR victimised by circumstances.

The 1986 version is closest to the novel in tone and pacing, without the self-created excursions that TVB are prone to. In fact, some of the novel's wanderings are cut out or shortened where they don't affect the main story too much, improving the story's pacing in the process.

tony leung 1986 version

Tony Leung version is still the gold standard.

HSDS 1986. I've watched it countless of times and the other versions can't even come close. Perfect ZWJ, ZM, ZZR, Z3F. Realistic fighting, amazing music, smooth pacing, and a memorable cast.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!