View Poll Results: Who's will win in an all-out brawl?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Au Yeung Hak

3 11.54%
  • Fok Do

20 76.92%
  • Tie

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan to fan combat (no, not us): Au Yeung Hak vs. Fok Do!

Default fan to fan combat (no, not us): Au Yeung Hak vs. Fok Do!

In the grand tradition of "Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor", "Wong Yung vs. Little Dragon Girl", "West Poison Au Yeung Fung vs. the Golden Wheel Monk", "Mui Chiu Fung vs. Lee Mok Sau", "Jin Empire flunkies vs. Mongol Empire flunkies" (I think you get the idea now), I present to you...FAN TO FAN Combat: Au Yeung Hak vs. Fok Do.

Au Yeung Hak and Fok Do both like fans (the folding kind used to keep cool with). They also both like beautiful women. In the 1980s TVB adaptations of LOCH and ROCH, both of them also liked to wear white. Both of them inherited the martial arts of their respective stories' best villainous fighters.

So how would they have matched up if they'd fought each other?

Their martial arts level wasn't that far apart, but Au Yeung Hak had one thing going for him that Fok Do did not: Au Yeung Hak was able to make venomous creatures, especially snakes, do his bidding. Although Fok Do was no stranger to using poison himself (poison darts, etc.), it's hard to imagine how he'd be able to overcome Au Yeung Hak sending an army of snakes, scorpions, and toads after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    In the grand tradition of "Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor", "Wong Yung vs. Little Dragon Girl", "West Poison Au Yeung Fung vs. the Golden Wheel Monk", "Mui Chiu Fung vs. Lee Mok Sau", "Jin Empire flunkies vs. Mongol Empire flunkies" (I think you get the idea now), I present to you...FAN TO FAN Combat: Au Yeung Hak vs. Fok Do.

Au Yeung Hak and Fok Do both like fans (the folding kind used to keep cool with). They also both like beautiful women. In the 1980s TVB adaptations of LOCH and ROCH, both of them also liked to wear white. Both of them inherited the martial arts of their respective stories' best villainous fighters.

So how would they have matched up if they'd fought each other?

Their martial arts level wasn't that far apart, but Au Yeung Hak had one thing going for him that Fok Do did not: Au Yeung Hak was able to make venomous creatures, especially snakes, do his bidding. Although Fok Do was no stranger to using poison himself (poison darts, etc.), it's hard to imagine how he'd be able to overcome Au Yeung Hak sending an army of snakes, scorpions, and toads after him.
    I think their similarities in the 80's adaptions by TVB was intentional. Their were wearing the same clothes once. But AYH in LOCH 83 was made much mroe powerful than he was (intellectually and martial arts wise) in the novel.

Martial arts wise, I think Fok Do would win, since he is more disciplined since he conentrates on them without "distraction". He has a variety martial arts, and has control over what to use and when (e.g. Beggar Clan meeting where Huo Do fought Yelu Qi, they fought a while before he was forced to use his major techniques).

But like Ken, I see no way that Fok Do can overcome the posionous creatures ( ) AYH has around him, unless he borrows XLN's gloves something like that that are inpenetrateable, or get some Mongolian beauty to dance around during the fight.

I can't bear to bet against Au Yeung Fung so I choose AYH to win.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Huodu, definitely.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Agree w/Lava. Huodu was on par/better than the weaker Quanzhen masters, who had almost two decades of extra training/practicing than they had in LOCH. Definitely is better than Ouyang Ke.

But does Fok Do have an answer for Au Yeung Hak's poison expertise? The poison is what made the Au Yeungs *really* dangerous (although of course, West Poison Au Yeung Fung's fighting skills were nothing to sneeze at).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    But does Fok Do have an answer for Au Yeung Hak's poison expertise? The poison is what made the Au Yeungs *really* dangerous (although of course, West Poison Au Yeung Fung's fighting skills were nothing to sneeze at).
    Ouyang Ke's "poison expertise" is dubious at best. I can't remember him ever (efficiently) using poison in actual combat.

Huodu, on the other hand, was able to poison Zhu Ziliu with needles shot from his fan.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

dun think huodu would win if au yeung hak decides to use his 'friends' the poisonous animals in battle huodu's fan can only contain a limited amount of poison needles and would run out if he used them to against the 'friends'
    TaZzY InC

Talking about fan-holding martial artists, didn't MRF like to bring a fan around? Or is it in adaptation/comic only? Can't remember whether he did in the novel or not.

Just curoious, did Au Yeung Hak have some immunity to poison? Since I remember Au Yeung Fung saying in ROCH when he saved YG from Lee Mok Sau that no poison can harm him. Since AYF has that ability, would AYH also be immune to poisons and this not be hurt by Huo Do's needles?

Huo Do can always carry sulphur to repel the snakes (snakes hate sulphur ) but don't know about toads and centipedes.

I don't remember AYH using any creatures, even snakes (ignore LOCh 83) , in battles, but he has snake herders. But he can always learn!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Default Battle of the White Dressed, Fan-Wielders

oops didn't know there was a thread on this already. but yah, did au yeung hak learn any parts of the toad stance? i'm sure he is well-trained in the basic white camel mountain martial arts. i think if he did learn parts of the toad stance, then i think he holds the edge. else fok do should be able to take it. at least from the descriptions of his abilities at the heroes gathering.
    Last edited by augster123; 06-14-06 at 06:05 PM.

Someone mentioned that between these two, one of them favored an open-fan technique while the other generally fought using a closed-fan. Which one was which?

Huo Du used an open fanned technique; after Zhu Ziliu wrote the words 'You are a barbarian' on his fan, he was forced to abandon that portion of the technique and close the fan or risk further humiliation, which lowered his attack power.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Just curoious, did Au Yeung Hak have some immunity to poison? Since I remember Au Yeung Fung saying in ROCH when he saved YG from Lee Mok Sau that no poison can harm him. Since AYF has that ability, would AYH also be immune to poisons and this not be hurt by Huo Do's needles?
    IIRC this doesn't happen in the novel. After OYF runs off following XLN's disappearance, the next time YG sees him is on Huashan picking a fight with H7G.

I guess if OYK had enough snakes he would be able to kill Huo Du, I don't think HD would be able to hold back so many deadly animals even with his needles.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

The closest I could find to that was this:

He knelt down on the ground and spoke through the opening, “Father, I’m going now. Come and collect me soon. Be careful when you come out, there is poison on the bell.” Yang Guo bent his ear to the opening and hear Ouyang Feng replied weakly, “Good son, I’m not scared of poison; the poison should be scared of me. You be careful. I will definitely come back for you.”
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    The closest I could find to that was this:
    Which probably had a different meaning.

I'm gonna vote for AYH in this battle. His poison expertise might be dubious, but he can't be too lousy in that area. After all, he spent a pretty long time learning from OYF.

Houdo wins my vote. He also seems more cunning than ouyangke in all adaptations that i saw throughout the years.

i voted for fok do because i think he is a stronger opponent: he has more ambition, discipline, and craftiness. their skills may be on par, but psychologically, au yeung hak can't beat fok do -- he learned martial arts because his uncle wanted him to, but he used it mainly to pick on weaker opponents and girls, from what little i know of him. he never had any ambition to become more than the young master of bak tor shan chong, and he always used his uncle's name to get out of trouble.

fok do, on the other hand, in spite of being a mongolian prince, had enough ambition and willpower to be a beggar for many years. i doubt au yeung hak could do it.

so, getting back to the main point: if they were to fight, i think fok do has an advantage over au yeung hak -- he'd be able to use the situation to his advantage and psyche au yeung hak out, despite the threat of poisonous creatures.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

What do you guys think? Do these two chaps share the same fashion consultant or what?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://dl.zhishi.sina.com.cn/upload/82/54/20/1135825420.7155749.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.myangelgarden.net/jinyong/condor2/1983-2/013.jpg')

It makes you wonder if people who had known both of them (Gwok Jing, Wong Yung, Hung 7 Gung) might have thought upon first seeing Fok Do, "Oh, no...not *this* guy again. Wait...didn't Yeung Hong kill him years ago? WTF?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Someone mentioned that between these two, one of them favored an open-fan technique while the other generally fought using a closed-fan. Which one was which?
    Ding Chunqiu's fans were quite open about his greatness.