Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Book Discussion of the Month

A suggestion. Maybe a spoiler warning for those who haven't read the books.

The story sounds good, but now that I've known the ending, it's no more fun.

Talking

Originally posted by Azalae
    A suggestion. Maybe a spoiler warning for those who haven't read the books.

The story sounds good, but now that I've known the ending, it's no more fun.
    How could you be easily spoiled, and turn away from a good book?

Even if I read spoilers, I still want to go and read the books or watch the movies just to experience it myself. Knowing it is one thing but experiencing it is a different thing.

Anyways, I finally got to rewatch The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Does that adaptation cover most of the 7 books. As I know there's two more movies that follow that.

Heh...I might as well check out the books one day.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    How could you be easily spoiled, and turn away from a good book?

Even if I read spoilers, I still want to go and read the books or watch the movies just to experience it myself. Knowing it is one thing but experiencing it is a different thing.
    It's still different when I already know how the story would end. Each book is an adventure for me. Like receiving a suprise gift but told what's inside.

Same with reviews, I always avoid those with 'summary'.

I would still enjoy it, but less.

Cool

actually, I have avoid many spoilers as it is.

I only gave a general plot; there are a lot of intricacy and twists in that book - that's why I love it so much.

Read it and you will still be surprised!!!

BTW, I will continue the discussion with this chronicle a bit longer. Hopefully, more will participate. :
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

I've read the set of books twice. Once wen i was really young and again just last year. First time a read it i thought boring but this time it was quite good

SQL
    it's easier not to be wise
    and measure these things by your brains
    I sank into eden with you
    alone in the church by and by
    I'll read to you here, save your eyes
    you'll need them, your boat is at sea
    your anchor is up, you've been swept away
    and the greatest of teachers won't hesitate
    to leave you there, by yourself,
    chained to fate

Originally posted by T_KOOL
    SQL
    What?

This is wonderful! Narnia, damn, it's 7 years ago when I read them. I got that box set thingie. Loved it so much! In fact, one of the very first novels I attempted to write was sort of based on the magician's nephew (but I gave up after the first chapter... and went on to write better things)

Saw the movie about CS Lewis starring Anthony Hopkins? It was so sad!

I can't stand Aslan though. Blah. All his holier-than-thou, invincible thingie is grating. Always wanted to write a fanfic where he betrays everyone.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Bleh. I was expecting someone to hit me back for being such a jerk and insult the most beloved Aslan.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

I guess we are still discussing about Narnia...

It's pretty good, i enjoyed the first one the most. But then again, i was never stuffed to finish the other ones so *shrug*

Are we going to change the subject soon?

Gosh. The second last post of this thread is actually a post i've written AGES ago. How very nice.
    Swifty, Writing

Default Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe

Hi Everyone,

I remember watching this as a cartoon before I realised it was a book. I have to admit the book was a little too deep for me. I was only 9-10 years old when I first read it, but I had to put it down since there were too many things I didn't understand.

It's one of my favourite book, especially the part when they find a new world once passed the coats! I have to say that I never look at wardrobes ever the same again. I remember my grandmother had this really old wardrobe....well, you can well imagine my bitter disappointment when I discovered that it was simply a plain old wardrobe. (sigh) Life was never same again

So, is there a part anyone really liked? Love to discuss this further. Cheers Anne

P.S. I hope everyone is aware that CS Lewis was a Christian and all his books has a Christian meaning behind them. His "Screwtapes Letters' gives you a better idea of his thoughts about his faith. Until next time
    "Women speak because they wish to speak, whereas a man speaks only when driven to speech by something outside himself - like, for instance, he can't find any clean socks" (Jean Kerr)

"The only time a woman really succeeds in changing a man is when he's a baby" (Natalie Wood)

Hi,
    Though I've read many Sci-Fi/Fantasy I've never read this series. Is this more for young adults? Which other series would you compare this one to?

Have anyone read Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles?

it's catered to kids. Sort of. But doesn't mean that they're childish or crappy though.

Book Discussion of the Month? Book Discussion of the YEAR sounds more like it.
    Swifty, Writing

I loved the books when I was younger, but when I return to them now they feel very patronizing, especially as now I'm so much more aware of the "parrallels" though sometimes I wonder how I could have missed them when I was younger since they were very blatant...

I can't stand Aslan though. Blah. All his holier-than-thou, invincible thingie is grating. Always wanted to write a fanfic where he betrays everyone.
    Yes, exactly that... I'm not much for the whole self-righteousness of the books...

it's catered to kids. Sort of. But doesn't mean that they're childish or crappy though.
    Decidedly, but there's a certain partonising tone to it that Lewis doesn't employ in his other books for adults.

I hope everyone is aware that CS Lewis was a Christian and all his books has a Christian meaning behind them. His "Screwtapes Letters' gives you a better idea of his thoughts about his faith. Until next time
    I think you can appreciate the Narnia series without being Christian or actually agreeing with him... or even being aware of the allegorical aspect of his story. After all, that's what happened when I was a child. I think most children read it for the shear adventure and gloss over the philosophical meaning. When they grow older they either love it more or love it less for the extra dimensions... That's what "Reader Response Theory" is all about, isn't it? The author is "dead".

I hated how in the end all teh original 4 characters were cut out from Narnia because they wre too old. I really liked Susan and Peter!!!
    I agree with someone above that it is not fair to write off characters with the excuse of them being too old. I don't think Lewis was quite fair w/ Susan. Lucy is my favorite character, but could you imagine how Susan would feel when she found out her three siblings and other loved ones died in train accident in the real world? She might deny Aslan, but she did not deserve that kind of punishment and it was not her choice not to being to go back to Narnia anymore. It was not totally her fault that she forgot Narnia since the place would not let her in again.....
    Took the words straight out of my mouth. I feel similarly. There is a very short paragraph at the beginning of Voyage about how Susan was now all grown up and all she cared about was makeup really irritated me. It was a though childhood was the supreme and wonderful state and after that you just go downhill. That one line convey the essense of the stereotype that felt like a slap on the face when I read it.

I'm not saying childhood and all its innocence isn't great and fluffy and sugary (okay, maybe I am in some ways), but I never really had that phase (too many books and too much real life) and I never missed it so I can't really sympathise with Lewis' views on that...

Offhand, in some ways I think they should stop filming versions of books (especially childrens books) since it makes some people feel that it is a suitable substitute to reading the real thing. I've had my cousins say to me: "I don't really want to read the book since there's a film..." When I say "Gone with the Wind", they think I'm refering to the movie...

I love seeing someone's vision of the story, it's enchanting and refreshing. And you get people who got into it because they watch the animation (like culturegirl) but then you get people who decide reading it's not worth the trouble when you've watched it the film, which is a pale replacement for the real book... It's taking over here, isn't it? Goofy says "book" someone immediatly says "animated version..."

Just a thought.
    Reality is but that beyond the margins of my page, the annoying breaths one must re-emerge for and gasp in between dreams. It does nothing more than frame the ink and paper world of another’s imaginings.

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    Actually, I've been trying to decide whether to borrow these books from the library or buy them from the bookstore.

I never read the books before, I've only seen a couple of the episodes in which they used to have on tv, the tv show adaptation of the books. It was years ago, I don't think they show them anymore.

Anyone seen the adaptation?
    I've seen teh lion, the Witch and teh wardrobe and The Silver Chair, and it was sorta chezzy but ok I guess I mean it wasn't that bad actually.....I think the the Magician's newphew was ok but not that interesting and number 2 was a classic, I haven't , The voyage of the dawn trader was ok, i've read Prince Caspian or the last battle but I've read bits of teh last battle and I feel really sad for that donkey or something that's used by that monkey=king or something like that, I've read books quite a long amount of time ago, not sure on teh specific details

uh... *knock knock*
    is the author of the month set by the person who started this topic, or by anyone who'd like to start one? cus it seems that this thread is... dead... and i've been waiting for some authors that i know to be mentioned. i'd like to suggest Juliet Marillier

Well, originally, I think everyone thought it was supposed to be done by the thread starter. But let's change things now and let anyone else start it.

EDIT: Hold on a sec, you are CF's Samantha, are you?
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    EDIT: Hold on a sec, you are CF's Samantha, are you?
    Woo yeah how'd you know?

Hah. Just a lucky guess.
    Swifty, Writing