Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Book Discussion of the Month

this is a great thread and a great idea. I do remember seeing the TV series about this from Britain and I liked it alot. We use to watch it in primary school and it was very popular. This thread has prompted me to read these books. I've just read the first three and enjoyed them. Though much of the magic is gone due to my age, these books would bring great joy and pleasure amongst younger readers.

PS: It's about time we start discussion on a new author/book
    Pharmacy NOT Chemist.
    Pharmacist = The Drug Expert
    Chemist = Who Knows! Who CARES!

All right, peeps, start nominating. Put up a list of 3 to 5 books (or series) you want to be discussed. For me...

1) Steven Erikson's Malazan books
    2) George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Books
    3) His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

George RR Martin's saga.

1) Asimov's Foundation series
    2) Orson Scott Card's Ender series
    3) Catch 22!

"A Song of Ice and Fire" by Martin! If you like the "riddle on power thread", you'll like this series.
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

All righty. Let's talk about George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Saga, then.

So, what are we going to talk about? Ah, yes, let's whine about how long I've waited for the fourth book. My god, I can't believe I finished the last one 4 years ago... when I was still in high school. Gah.

But the sample Cersei chapter in GRRM's website is pretty intriguing. Yeah!
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Hell yeah, it's as addictive as crack!

But the wait .......... arg, so unbearable ....... like an addict going through withdrawal!!!
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Yeah, but look at the bright side, you didn't read the series until not so long ago, I read each book whenever it just came out. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

It's a great thing I managed to discover so many other great series while waiting for him. Hmph. But that's OOC.

So, name your fave characters!

Mine's Tyrion and Jaime!
    Swifty, Writing

I haven't rad anything from George R. R. Martin since reading the short story about Sir Duncan The Tall in Legends II. Anything else coming out from him?

Sadly no; he's still working on book 4 at the moment. I heard that they just released some of his earlier works in an omnibus volume so you might want to check that out.

As fav characters go, I gotta say Tyrion, Littlefinger and Varys. Tyrion is just so witty and full of angst and it's so sad that he's always trying to please his father but couldn't ever do that. Littlefinger is sooo devious and unexpected and also he has so many plots going that you just can't wait to know what he'll do next. Varys is just a mystery in terms of his motives and origin but he's just as sneaky as Littlefinger and I just love his riddle.

But honestly, there are so many great characters it's really so hard to choose a fav ....... Asha, Davos, Arya, Dany, Jaime, even Thoros the red-priest and the Brotherhood without Banner ...... it's amazing how Martin could switch from various perspectives like that and still keeping the story pulsing with drama.

Hm. Been hearing rumours that Tyrion might actually be a Targayen, and not his father's son.
    Swifty, Writing

AAAHHHHHHHH!!! NO!! I'm only up to the 2nd books, must stop reading this thread now!!!!!

umm, hey i didn't know the third book doesn't finish. umm.... interesting.... OH NO!! More Spoilers. I must stop reading................
    Pharmacy NOT Chemist.
    Pharmacist = The Drug Expert
    Chemist = Who Knows! Who CARES!

Yeah, I suggest you finish the whole thing first. Or shall we keep the discussion spoiler-free? Hm. Hard.
    Swifty, Writing

*yawn*
    Swifty, Writing

Originally posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Hm. Been hearing rumours that Tyrion might actually be a Targayen, and not his father's son.
    Hmmm, possible. Tyrion does have those mismatched eyes (one of which is purple?), blond hair and a fascination with all things related to dragon. But these are really flimsy straws to build this argument I have to say.

Ah well, seems that almost everybody's rumoured to be a Targayen. You know about the Jon Snow one, right? The theory that he's actually Eddard's dead sister's son, and not his own.
    Swifty, Writing

Yeah, Jon = Lyanna + Rheagar .......... that's a popular theory, albeit a bit cliched. Would Martin surprises us with a dark horse? That would be better I think.

Yeah, with all those peeps thinking that Jon is the Targayen and VOILA Tyrion is the one, that'll be a surprise, but since we are already discussing this here (and I'm sure this theory is being discussed elsewhere too), with so many people watching, I doubt it'll be that much of a surprise.

It's a good thing I discovered Steven Erikson's Malazan series during these four years of insane waiting. And yes, Malazan series, in my opinion, rival GRRM's.

But I really like the Cersei sample chapter in GRRM's site. Seems that the woman's getting herself into trouble too.

Starks I detest most: Catelyn and Sansa

Screw the Goodkinds and Jordans.
    Swifty, Writing

I used to loathe Sansa; then I came to pity her; and now I hope that she'll grow up ......... can't wait til she meet her sister Arya once more. I think Arya will blame her for Ned's death.

The problem with Cersei is that she's ruthless but not cunning enough.

Yeah, there are many times when Tyrion can easily run circles around her. Just that this poor dwarf lacks a little thing called luck. I don't know, for Sansa, or those crap she went through didn't make me pity her much. She deserved it, little beeyatch.
    Swifty, Writing