Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Book Discussion of the Month

I think this is a neat idea, if people could make suggestions for a discussion book, everyone would be willing to read the same book that month...

Kind of like Rory's Book Club back on the WB. Man I miss the WB.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Default jan 2007

so, what is the current book? harry potter, anyone?? just kidding

Currently in Moss, Silver. Next stop....still Moss, Silver

This might sound funny, but i am reading General History of China, covering Sui, Tang and the 5 dynasties. Found the book in MPH, and thought, what the hell, i dont have anything to read anyway and the price is pretty cheap for a book that big...

It's really fun reading history....i feel like im back in school...LOL...but fun nonetheless....

do anyone here read history books just for fun too? I wanted to discuss the feats of Li Shimin as described in the book, and Wu Zetian is an interesting character to highlight too, but in my circle of friends, im the only one who read such book....
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 03-22-07 at 08:27 AM.

History books are fun to read.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Kidd, that's the first time i heard from anyone other than me

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdarTeal'c
    Kidd, that's the first time i heard from anyone other than me
    You will find lots of people who feel the same way here http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I'm a regular over there too, but i mainly read and not post. i think i've only accumulated less than 10 posts after these years...LOL

those ppl are waaaay over my head.....id rather read and not contribute with my meager knowledge. plus, most of my questions about Chinese history have already been asked by other members....

This might sound funny, but i am reading General History of China, covering Sui, Tang and the 5 dynasties. Found the book in MPH, and thought, what the hell, i dont have anything to read anyway and the price is pretty cheap for a book that big...It's really fun reading history....i feel like im back in school...LOL...but fun nonetheless....

do anyone here read history books just for fun too? I wanted to discuss the feats of Li Shimin as described in the book, and Wu Zetian is an interesting character to highlight too, but in my circle of friends, im the only one who read such book....
    the big books are cheap coz they has been there for the past few years.... sorry but which MPH do you go to? and if i am not mistaken, (and pardon me if i do)the publisher's name should start with C, rite? my romance of the three kingdoms and journey to the west books are from that publisher, so are justice bao, legend of jigong, emperor tang ming and list of other books you can find on the stand that i bought over the last two decade. it wasnt cheap then the wu zetian book i got from some other publisher while li shi min was from sima qian. the discussion is welcome to me but i might NOT up to your current standard of debate for i havent browsed through these books for years. a case of knowledge gone rusty and interest got sidetracked

off topic wise, MPH promotes lot of books, but sometimes i cannot get certain titles or books from them while ordering take ages

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine
    if i am not mistaken, (and pardon me if i do)the publisher's name should start with C, rite?
    yes, indeed it starts with C = Canfonian Pte Ltd, based in Singapore. yeah, there are so many books under this publisher, but at that moment i was only interested in Tang thats why the book caught my attention. In fact, it was the last one in that shelf! Thank God i got it in time. but cuz it's the last copy, the cover isnt all that flattering. They printed the cover and several pages of the book a bit out of margin, but as long as i can read i thought what the hell, right....

the wu zetian book i got from some other publisher while li shi min was from sima qian.
    currently im looking for Empress Wu by Sa Shan (?? am not quite sure). i dont know if it's from the same publisher as you mentioned. HOwever, this one is not in historical format like the Canfonian one i bought, since it's done more in a story-wise format.

I saw the book in the hot section a couple months ago, but it was so expensive and my budget is just so tight at that moment that i had to pass. I looked for it yesterday, but it's no longer on the shelf. i was about to ask the worker there, but then my straying eyes caught sight of Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix so i just had to grab that one I guess Empress Wu had to wait for another month

Thought id wait a couple of month and the discussion is welcome to me but i might NOT up to your current standard of debate for i havent browsed through these books for years. a case of knowledge gone rusty and interest got sidetracked
    dont worry, sher (if you dont mind me calling you that), i dont think im gonna start discussing it anytime soon, my FYP is due in another 2weeks and finals in 3, so guess you have time to refresh your memory

off topic wise, MPH promotes lot of books, but sometimes i cannot get certain titles or books from them while ordering take ages
    im so excited there are ppl out there who read history books for pleasure, not for their studies, or work!!
    Last edited by ghostdarTeal'c; 03-28-07 at 06:35 AM.
    Da One and Only,
    ghostdarTeal'c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idols: Mark Dacascos and Vicki Zhao Wei
    Fav Artists: Zhang Tie Lin, Cheng E Kin, Vin Diesel, Jet Li, Amy Chan Sau Man, Michelle Rodriguez, Theresa Lee Yee Hong
    Fav Series: The Great General, Heroine of The Yangs, Huan Zhu Ge Ge I & II, Secret Battle of The Majesties
    Fav Movies: The Matrix I, G.I Jane, Fist of Legend, Drive, Gladiator, 2009 Lost Memories, So Close, Crying Freeman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius; Commander of the Army of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor; Marcus Aurilius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

- The Spaniard -

dont worry, sher (if you dont mind me calling you that), i dont think im gonna start discussing it anytime soon, my FYP is due in another 2weeks and finals in 3, so guess you have time to refresh your memory
    im so excited there are ppl out there who read history books for pleasure, not for their studies, or work!!
    i took general history as a major subject to boost up my so-so academic mark. also accounting as additional. back then, 10 or 11 subjects to cover were considered madness i was in science, but i was kinda lousy so history and accounting as backup in case i flunked the three compulsory subjects after leaving school and college, interest took over and i started stocked up variety of books to start a personal library once i have a house. then work, life, blah blah blah passed and these precious books ended somewhere at the bottom of boxes.....

ok, i was off topic here again.... seems to do that alot lately....

Let's make the current book the Condor Trilogy by Jin Yong

aiyoyo, no lah dearie ... too many cooks spoil the soup .... i dont think i can stand another discussion on godly pair vs divine couple vs heavenly match here. pls stick jy book and condor stuff to the wuxia forum

aiyoyo, no lah dearie ... too many cooks spoil the soup .... i dont think i can stand another discussion on godly pair vs divine couple vs heavenly match here. pls stick jy book and condor stuff to the wuxia forum
    Make me

There's a wuxia fiction forum to discuss wuxia stories in more details.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    There's a wuxia fiction forum to discuss wuxia stories in more details.

Han Solo
    Ok, I obey

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I just finish reading All 3 books of Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (Dresden Writer)

Furies of Calderon
    Academs Fury
    Cursor's Fury

has anyone here already read any of the book.

LOL, I read this like 6 days straight, its a great book. Its a story which was based on the Roman empire, the twist is that all the people in the Kingdom can do magic stuff by controlling the elements using a supernatural beings call fury. Another twist is that main protagonist doesn't have this abilities which made him a freak.

This is like Batman in the company of Superhero where everybody has superpower. So like Batman, the main protagonist, Tavi have to use taijutsu, foretaught and mainly his brain to overcome his disability in a fight. The book is a non stop fight and confrontation from start to end.

You'll found in this book, the Roman politics, the usual backstabbing, legionnaire and full scale war, all using elemental magic (earth, fire, water, wood, air and metal). For example a water fury can be used for medical purposes or drowning your opponent, earth fury well it look like the earthbender in the Avatar series and make the body stronger especially when using taijutsu, air fury can let you fly and can shoot arrow far and superspeed.

This is going to be my series replacement for harry potter when it conclude this saturday 21st. I heard there are 3 or 4 more books for the series

For more info please visit the this website: www.jim-butcher.com and go to the forum section, lol the forumer there are busy drawing map for the book based on what is written because currently there are none.

If you think reading history for fun is sad, try legal history. I really have no life.

Quote Originally Posted by sheraldine View Post
    i took general history as a major subject to boost up my so-so academic mark. also accounting as additional. back then, 10 or 11 subjects to cover were considered madness i was in science, but i was kinda lousy so history and accounting as backup in case i flunked the three compulsory subjects
    Isn't history a compulsory subject?

Edit: I've only just realised the existence of this thread. Must have been blind all this while.
    Last edited by dgfds01; 07-23-07 at 10:44 AM.

What's the book now?? Can we please discuss harry potter? I'm a big fan LOLS. Unlike Sheraldine, I'm not joking here

Quote Originally Posted by *aLySsA4eVa* View Post
    What's the book now?? Can we please discuss harry potter? I'm a big fan LOLS. Unlike Sheraldine, I'm not joking here

There's a separate thread on Harry Potter in this section. Please just either go back with the pages or search with it.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I'm confused, are we talking about a particularly book or recommending books here?

I have a really good one: C S Lewis' "Till We Have Faces" (formerly "Bareface"). This is his last novel; his personal favourite and most acclaimed among critics and readers today.

Synopsis: Lewis took the Greek mythology of the abduction of the beautiful Psyche by Cupid and retold it in a new light. The protagonist is neither those two, but Orual, the hideous-looking elder sister of Psyche, whose love and dedication for her little sister turned into a devouring flame. The main twist to the original myth is that, contrary to seeing Cupid's magnificent castle for Psyche and getting jealous for her good fortune, Orual could NOT see the castle at all and out of human love and concern, threatened Psyche into betraying Cupid . The consequence: Psyche was sentenced to exile, leaving the thoroughly embittered Orual. In time, Orual became a mighty, wise and just warrior queen of the barbaric land, only to find her face lost...

Lewis dissected the human soul and laid it out bare to reflect ours. It is above and beyond any specific religion, yet is much more religious than religion itself: this is about what it means to be human, and what it means for an individual human being to be "face to face with God ".

Check out Amazon for reviews. A lot of people, including me, find this novel life-changing. This short novel is a rich treasure that demands multiple reads.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.