Thread: Blood and Steel manhua, based on a wuxia novel, in english

Default Blood and Steel manhua, based on a wuxia novel, in english

The wuxia genre is still blossoming with many new authors. I can't read Chinese so I can't appreciate modern novels such as Yin Xiong Zhi from Sun Xiao. But one novel by Qiao Jingfu has been adapted into a Hong Kong comic called 武道狂之詩

An international effort of translator, proofreaders, editors and cleaners is hard at work to provide an english scanlation. So far we are up to chapter 41 which corresponds to the 8th volume.

The art of this manga is superb. Ever wondered how a cherished technique from a novel would look like? Well you can see it drawn in its full glory here. The fight scenes are detailed and very interesting.

Perhaps the author has researched a lot of martial arts schools and techniques to get inspiration for his story. There are 9 schools that have appeared, each with their own techniques. If you think wuxia should be about detailed martial arts that feel alive and unique, this is the story for you.

If you guys love wuxia, there's always new quality material to enjoy. Maybe because the TV producers like to redo the old classics all the time, so newer writers do not get the exposure they deserve.

I love Smiling Proud Wanderer, HSDS, Sentimental Swordsman Ruthless Sword, Eagles Flying in September, Lu Xiao Feng, and other stories, but after a few years of not reading wuxia, getting a hold of a new wuxia gem like Blood and Steel really gets my blood pumping.

The manga itself has interesting characters. It's by far the best manga I am reading right now, as I'm always itching for a new chapter. Naturally, all wuxia are either inspired by history or folklore, and Blood and Steel is no exception.

In real life, I believe the Huashan sect was a Taoist sect that Hao Datong founded/was part of. In Blood and Steel, Huashan is a school that studies Daoism, sword and Qi. So perhaps Qiao Jingfu was inspired by history as well as wuxia pioneers like Jin Yong when he wrote his novel.

The story takes place during the reign of Emperor Bao Fang, who was a Ming Emperor from 1521. You would be VERY surprised when you learn who the antagonists are

Just google "blood and steel manga" to find various sites where you can read the english scanlation for free.

If you like wuxia, and are not reading anything right now, go here. You won't regret it

http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/Bloo.../248841-4.html

The beginning is reminiscent of Gu Long novels The later chapters with the detailed fighting style from various factions can be said to have a Jin Yong feel to them.