View Poll Results: Do you support Assisted Suicide?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Others, explain.

0 0%

Thread: Assisted Suicide

Default Assisted Suicide

http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/assisted-...land-1.1254921

It's legal in Switzerland but illegal in Canada. Personally, I support it. For people who live with incurable pain, they should have the right to end their lives if that is their wish. Do you support or against it?

It's that person's right, so he/she should have the ultimate decision what to do with it.

That said, it should be limited to people who are suffering from painful, incurable physical ailments. This kind of thing shouldn't be available to anybody who's just having a bad day/week/month/year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That said, it should be limited to people who are suffering from painful, incurable physical ailments. This kind of thing shouldn't be available to anybody who's just having a bad day/week/month/year.
    Strongly agree. People who have bad day/week/month/year/decade can move on with their lives.

I don't support it. I choose not to prolong my life if my situation is certainly hopeless, no feeding tube, no ventilator machine, etc. I won't resort to suicide. I'll let my heart stop beating on its own.

This is a good and interesting question. Because everyone has to go one day.
    What's if you are healthy, handicapped and feel that you are useless to society and you want to go? Do you have this right of assisted suicide?

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    I don't support it. I choose not to prolong my life if my situation is certainly hopeless, no feeding tube, no ventilator machine, etc. I won't resort to suicide. I'll let my heart stop beating on its own.
    It's a painful death in slow motion. You have every right to choose that path. However, other people should have an option to choose a faster path.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    This is a good and interesting question. Because everyone has to go one day.
    What's if you are healthy, handicapped and feel that you are useless to society and you want to go? Do you have this right of assisted suicide?
    I think it's only available to people who are suffering from painful incurable physical ailments. Healthy handicapped people don't fit in that category.

If it is an incurable and painful disease, then I will support assisted suicide.

I believe there is a place for assisted suicide and that making it illegal only leads some determined people to taking even more desperate measures to achieve the same out come. If that is the case why not provide a caring, dignified way for these people to make their choice?

I remember reading that the process in Switzerland is very long and thorough to ensure that the option is not abused by someone who suffers a momentary lack of better judgement or clarity. In addition to people who suffer excruciating pain, I also think of people who have been diagnosed with degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's/dementia for example, who live day by day knowing that eventually they will no longer recognise their loved ones or even remember who they are anymore. Eventually to be at the mercy of a nursing home of some sort to care, feed and bathe what would be a shell of their former self. Worse still, what if these people have no family left to consider for, with such a bleak future of fear and confusion waiting for them, I think they should have that option available to them.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Are health professionals actually allowed to let you do this though? Or legally, if you are under their care do they have to do everything possible to save you/ keep you alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    It's a painful death in slow motion. You have every right to choose that path. However, other people should have an option to choose a faster path.
    Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Super-latte View Post
    Are health professionals actually allowed to let you do this though? Or legally, if you are under their care do they have to do everything possible to save you/ keep you alive?
    Yes, they do everything they can if there's a chance that the patient's health will improve. Otherwise they will suggest taking the patient off life support. Personally I don't want artificial life support in the first place.