Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 6: The Phoenix Dances in the Nine Heavens (凤舞九天 Fengwu Jiutian)

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs

Default Chapter 20 - Part 1

Ycb, LuDongBin, now that is an idea ... Ysabel, welcome to the forum. I noticed this is your first post. Jaya, Anh, you are welcome.

Chapter 20 Honest Monk is not honest
    (Translated by Foxs)

Saber. The saber flickered under the bright morning sun.

Lu Xiaofeng had the saber in his hand.

Lu Xiaofeng was toying with the saber in his hand. It caught the sun light at just the right angle and shot a blinding light to Lu Xiaofengs eyes.

He held the saber flat, vertical, in an angle, and tried fifteen, sixteen different angles, and found fourteen of them could reflect light.

He suddenly laughed, he laughed at what he found from this experiment.

If someday he had to use saber in dealing with the enemy, he might try using this technique of reflecting light first to disturb the enemys eyes. If the enemy was disturbed, he would undoubtedly win. Therefore, he was grateful to Ying Yan Laoqi.

Were it not for Ying Yan Laoqi carrying the saber, were it not for Ying Yan Laoqi got drunk and crouched on the table, were it not for Lu Xiaofeng leaving a brief note to Ying Yan Laoqi, he would have not taken Ying Yan Laoqis saber, and thus he would have not discovered this principle.

Gently running his fingers along the blade, Lu Xiaofeng suddenly felt very proud of himself and laughed.

-- If I did not leave the note, if I did not pick his saber, if I did not play with the saber under the sun, would I discover this fact?

-- Therefore, I should be proud of myself, why would I be grateful to Ying Yan Laoqi?

Lu Xiaofeng laughed even more complacently.

-- Right now, Ying Yan Laoqi should be leading his men pursuing to Changan, shouldnt he?

Ying Yan Laoqi had no reason not to go to Changan. Anybody in his situation would surely go to Changan.

If he believed the note, he would go.

If he did not believe the note, he would still go.

Because the person leaving the note was able to take his life anytime, how could he not go?

Besides, Lu Xiaofeng did not deceive him, because Lu Xiaofeng only wrote Ximen Chuixue Changan, with a space between the words Ximen Chuixue and Changan.

The space could have three words, is not in.

-- Ximen Chuixue is not in Changan.

The space could also hold two words.

-- Ximen Chuixue maybe in Changan.

That was the beauty of space.

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly thought of ancient paintings, why were there so many blank spaces? Turned out those blank spaces had even more layers of explanation, everybody can admire the paintings according to their own interpretation, their own criticism, their own guess as to the creative concept behind the paintings.

But there was only one creative concept behind Lu Xiaofengs note:

-- Ximen Chuixue practically is not in Changan.

-- Ximen Chuixue should be going to Sha Man and the others hiding place, shouldnt he?

Lu Xiaofeng counted the date. Ximen Chuixue should have found Sha Man by now.

But Ximen Chuixue did not find Sha Man.

The first thing that Ximen Chuixue saw as an overhanging cliff, and the angry waves crashing the shore under the overhanging cliff, the foam of water splashing into the overhanging cliff.

And then he saw the wooden cabin Lu Xiaofeng told him about. He loved this place.

When he saw the overhanging cliff and the splashing waves, he recalled Su Dongpos[1] poem.

-- Raging waves beating the shore, rolling up thousand piles of snow. Picturesque rivers and mountains, coupled with many heroes.

This was the perfect place to live in seclusion.

Now Ximen Chuixue regretted why he promised Lu Xiaofeng that he would bring Sha Man back to him.

-- Why didnt he promise Lu Xiaofeng that he would stay here to protect them? That way he could stay here, he could enjoy the sea breeze, enjoy the scene of the splashing waves here.

Although he had regrets, he still walked toward the wooden cabin, without the slightest hesitation.

Wherever Ximen Chuixue went, he would never forget his noble character, his elegance.

Although there was only a single wooden cabin on the overhanging cliff, he would still remember to display his noble character.

Therefore, although the door to the wooden cabin was half-closed, he still knocked on the door.

Although he would always wait for someone to answer the door, or perhaps to invite him in before he would enter in, this time he had to make an exception.

There are always exceptions to everything.

For example, if he knocked the door several dozen times without anybody answering the door.

Or perhaps if he suddenly smell blood.

Not only has Ximen Chuixue knocked the door fifty, sixty times, without any response, he also smelled the reeking of blood.

Therefore, he had to make an exception.

Therefore, he pushed the door open. Stealthily like a cat he slipped inside.

In the hall, apart from a wooden table, some wooden chairs, tea cups, tea pot, he saw nothing else.

Ximen Chuixue had not even broken into the rooms. He called out twice, Anyone here? And only then he burst into the inner rooms.

In the first room, he saw wooden bed, quilt, pillow, but nothing else.

The second room was just a duplicate of the first room.

The third room had one person in it. A dead person. And the dead person was a woman.

Ximen Chuixue burst in. He turned the woman over, and to his surprise, he discovered two things.

-- This woman was Xiao Yu, because Lu Xiaofeng described Sha Mans appearance to him, and this womans appearance did not match that description.

-- This woman did not die, because there was a very weak moan coming from her throat.

By the time Ximen Chuixue brought Xiao Yu back to his carriage, he discovered another thing.

-- Xiao Yus right hand was curled into a tight fist.

He pried Xiao Yus right hand open. A ball of crumpled paper fell down. The piece of paper had seven characters written on it. Seven characters written in blood.

- Lao shi he shang bu lao shi [Honest Monk is not honest].

Lu Xiaofeng did not know a misfortune has happened in the wooden cabin on the overhanging cliff.

Lu Xiaofeng did not know Sha Man and Honest Monk had disappeared.

Lu Xiaofeng did not know Xiao Yu was stabbed and was seriously injured.

Lu Xiaofeng did not know that in order to save Xiao Yu, Ximen Chuixue did not hurry back. Not only he did not hurry, he had to find a small town where he could stay and invite a physician to treat Xiao Yus injury. Therefore, by the time Ximen Chuixue was supposed to be back, he did not even see any shadow of a horse carriage. A dark shadow started to creep into his heart.

-- Could it be that Ximen Chuixue has met some mishaps?

-- Could it be that Sha Man has met some mishaps?

-- Could it be that all of them have met some mishaps?

From its zenith, the sun slowly crawled down to the west, and then it slowly disappeared beyond the western horizon. Lu Xiaofeng was still shrouded under the blanket of questions.

The crescent moon slowly climbed to the middle of the sky, Lu Xiaofeng was still sitting in front of the door, anxiously craning his neck to look at the distance.

He was fidgety with anxiety and was burning with angst. Only one person understood the extent of Lu Xiaofengs concern.

Ximen Chuixue understood Lu Xiaofengs concern. Because he knew Lu Xiaofengs expectation.

But he really had no way of hurrying back. Not that he did not want to hurry back, but he practically could not hurry back.

Xiao Yu had lost a lot of blood, she needed time to recuperate; she must not suffer the hardship of the tossing and turning of traveling with the carriage.

Therefore, although Ximen Chuixue understood Lu Xiaofengs anxiety, in all honesty there was absolutely nothing he could do about it; not that he himself was not in a hurry to get back.

The meaning of the seven characters that Xiao Yu held tight in her hand, Honest Monk is not honest, was very clear; Sha Mans disappearance, Xiao Yus injury, must be deeply related to Honest Monk. But what was it? Where was Honest Monk?

Ximen Chuixue really wanted to see Lu Xiaofeng as soon as possible, he wanted to hand over all these questions in his mind to Lu Xiaofeng, and let him deal with it himself. However, Xiao Yus countenance was deathly pale; even lying motionless in bed, she was continuously groaning in pain, how could Ximen Chuixue have the heart to go?

Besides, he really did not dare to leave Xiao Yu alone and let the doctor took care of her.

Therefore, he only had one option waiting.

Lu Xiaofeng had been waiting impatiently for three days. Three days ago, he was already dying to go and look for them. Because three days ago he thought that at the latest, Ximen Chuixue should have been back three days previously.

[1] Su Dongpo, also known as Su Shi (1037-1101), northern Song writer and calligrapher.

Thanks for updating regularly. Enjoying this series despite the Q&A approach...

Another twist and turn .. Honest Monk again? About time these four characters, LXF, XMCX, HM and HML, team up once more ... Time for a Heineken?

Thanks for the update... I can almost see it, when Xiao Yu wakes up, Ximen Chuixue will soon be getting a new wifey...

Thanks foxs.

Think I saw this story in the The Legend of Lu Xiao Feng.

Thanks foxs. Stories like these makes you realize how convenient having a cellphone is. LXF wouldn't need to worry where XMCX is without any ability to receive news.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs!

I've been reading Gu Long novels for several years now, and still love the way he tell his stories! The character's dialogue back and forth is really addicting, its wonderful, I can never get over it. Haha.

Maybe Honest Monk is just honestly preserving his life.

Thanks, foxs.

Foxs, no wonder you raised the issue of the ambiguity of honest monk previously...

Default Chapter 20 - Part 2

Ycb, DongBin, remember Honest Monk's appearance and his actions on the Island? He was sneaky, and I am not sure if he acted with LXF's best interest in his heart. Hence, I tend to agree with Jaya here. I would place him with Sikong Zaixing, not with Hua Manlou; you know what I mean? Szfong, you wish, huh? I want to know more about Xiao Yu too. Ysabel, that's because the series was adapted from this story ... Single Whip, but LXF did have cell phone, only the signal around XMCX's residence was low ... Anh, you are welcome. Drak, you have read Gu Long's novels? What are you doing here? You ought to help us translating ... You know how desperate we are for people like you.

To be able to wait for six days, Lu Xiaofengs patience was really not bad. About this fact, he could not help but admiring himself.

Therefore, by the time he was ready to move his feet, he had made a decision.

He decided to admire himself one more day. Because admiring himself was not an easy thing to do.

Today was the last day Lu Xiaofeng admiring his own patience.

Today was the ninth day, not the seventh day. Because Lu Xiaofeng had waited two more days.

In these two days he had attempted to leave a hundred and twenty four times. But all hundred and twenty four times attempts were not successful.

Because every time he wanted to leave, a dreadful thought emerged in his mind.

-- What if he had just left and Ximen Chuixue arrived with Sha Man?

-- What would happen if Sha Man arrived and did not see him?

Therefore, he stayed. Waiting. Waiting painfully.

Dusk. Dusk has always been a very pleasant time.

Because dusk has always been the time when love ones are going to see each other.

The farmers tilling the soil went home with hoes on their shoulder, facing the fiery sunsets, walking along the raised path between the rice field, going home to be with their family.

People from all walks of life, when they saw the setting sun, they all would know that it was time to rest. One day of weariness was finally going to get relief.

Lovers who were going to meet each other would also begin to dress up in preparation to meet their sweetheart later on that evening.

Only one type of person was not happy when the night falls.

-- One who has to wait.

Lu Xiaofeng was waiting. But under the sunset glow, a smile suddenly appeared on his face.

Because his wait was over.

Because he heard the sound of speeding carriage.

Because he saw that the speeding carriage was Ximen Chuixues.

Therefore, the dusk this time was the kind of dusk that brought delight in Lu Xiaofengs heart.

Lu Xiaofengs happiness was comparable to the splendid red sunset clouds on the horizon, which stayed in the sky for a while, and then gradually faded away.

Because what he saw were a hardened face of Ximen Chuixues, and a pale face of Xiao Yus.

Although Lu Xiaofeng was anxious, he did not want to rush Xiao Yu; he merely endure patiently while with a weak voice Xiao Yu narrated the story of Honest Monk was not honest.

-- One day, Honest Monk suddenly said that he had a business he had to take care of for a few days; hence leaving me and Sha Man in that wooden cottage he went out.

-- And then after seven, eight days, Honest Monk returned.

-- When he returned, I was not there, because I was out collecting shells.

-- I came back, happy and excited, with shells in my hand, and called out Sha Mans name in loud voice.

-- Sha Man did not respond.

-- I saw Honest Monk carrying Sha Man.

-- Sha Man did not even struggle. My guess is that she was caught off guard and had her acupoints sealed by Honest Monk.

-- I shouted to Honest Monk, asking him what he was doing.

-- He said nothing, but flashed a lewd smile instead.

-- I rushed toward him.

-- Suddenly he dropped Sha Man, fetched the sword hanging on the wall, and stabbed me.

-- His martial art skill was frightening.

-- He probably thought he had killed me.

-- I also thought that I was going to die.

-- Thats why before I die, I wrote those seven characters.

And then what happened? Lu Xiaofeng could not bear not to ask.

And then I woke up here, said Xiao Yu.

Among the Four Great Monks, Honest Monk ranked third.

Whether Honest Monk was really honest or not, nobody knew. But everybody knew that his martial art skill was high; it was definitely not a fake. Anybody who provoked him would suddenly die in the night, without any rhyme or reason.

Honest Monk had disappeared from the Jianghu for half a year, not a single person knew what he was doing.

The first time Lu Xiaofeng saw Honest Monk in the last half year was precisely on the island, when Honest Monk suddenly popped out from the chest.

Lu Xiaofeng began to suspect something.

-- Did Honest Monk get caught and was stuffed into the chest?

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly recalled the conversation he had with Honest Monk on the island:

Why hasnt Monk left yet?

Why havent you left?

I cannot find my way out.

If even you cannot find your way out, what hope does Monk have?

Why did Monk come here?

If Monk does not enter hell, who would enter hell?

So you knew this place is hell? What are you doing in hell? What kind of man is that Ninth Master? How did he put you inside the chest?

Honest Monk did not answer.

Since you knew, why didnt you say anything?

Honest Monk mumbled, Mysteries of heaven must not be revealed. Buddha said: must not speak, must not speak.

Lu Xiaofeng knew that Honest Monk must know the islands secret very well.

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly remembered something:

-- Has Honest Monk been bought by the Little Old Man and has become an invisible man?

Lu Xiaofeng also recalled two more things:

-- Honest Monk was hiding under Sha Mans bed, and he taught Sha Man and him how to escape from the island.

-- On the ship Honest Monk has saved them once.

A question floated up in Lu Xiaofengs mind:

-- Why was it that the escape that Lu Xiaofeng had planned did not work, but the one that Honest Monk had planned did?

A dark shadow flitted across Lu Xiaofengs heart:

-- Was it a conspiracy between Honest Monk and Gong Jiu?

Lu Xiaofeng immediately thought about the key question:

-- For what reason?

If Gong Jiu wanted to kill him, he could have killed him on the island.

Based on the way Gong Jiu handled his affairs, it was impossible for him to be careless and let Lu Xiaofeng and Sha Man and the others escaped to the ship. It was even more impossible for him to let them escaped from the ship and back to the Mainland!

It was absolutely impossible!

Another similar question emerged in Lu Xiaofengs mind:

-- In the end, what is his real objective?

Since Gong Jiu deliberately let him return to the Mainland, why did he scheme to frame Lu Xiaofeng up, and press him to a corner?

-- Honest Monk this time abducted Sha Man, what for?

Lu Xiaofeng looked up at the blue dome of the sky, he felt as if his heart was tied knot after knot.

Clouds floating in, clouds floating away, the sky was still as blue as always.

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly felt a burst of great waves arose in his heart. In his shock, he found a great truth:

-- The sky has never changed, but the clouds are always changing.

-- This matter was similar: Honest Monk and Gong Jiu, they were like the cloud, they simply wanted to change the appearance of the sky.

-- If Honest Monk and Gong Jiu were set aside, the sky would have its original appearance back.

-- The Little Old Man was the sky.

Lu Xiaofeng recalled what the Little Old Man told him:

-- If Lu Xiaofeng agreed to join the Little Old Man in his business, he could take as long as he wanted to think it over, there would not be the least bit of restriction of his movement; he could do anything, he could go anywhere.

But this would not happen. Because Lu Xiaofeng practically did not wish to join.

This fact, the Little Old Man should know.

Thanks for the update!

With the way this is going, in the end, the Old Man is still the key to unravel all these mysteries. Were LXF, Honest Monk, GJ, Beef Soup, Sha Man, Xiao Yu and even XMC just pawns manipulated by the Old Man in his scheme?

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks for the update. Now I can go back and watch that series and have a better understanding of the plot.

Foxs, I still hold out hope that there is something more about Honest Monk and his actions .. let the story unfolds ..

Thanks foxs

Thanks for another update!
    Ah - the little old man again...

Foxs, I would love to help out and translate those novels, but there's a problem; I can't read Chinese. . I've only fortunate enough to be able to read those novels because of you awesome translators! I'm a lurker .

Thanks for the new update~