Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 7: Laughter of The Sword God [剑神一笑 Jian Shen Yi Xiao]

Default Lu Xiaofeng Book 7: Laughter of The Sword God [剑神一笑 Jian Shen Yi Xiao]

Chapter 1 A stab of pain of the finger on yellow soil[1]
    (Translated by Foxs)

(One)

A piece of land, a yellow sandy soil land.

Clear sky. The sun was about to set.

Lu Xiaofeng walked along a yellow sandy soil land under the setting sun. Under the glow of the setting sun, the yellow soil looked red, as red as blood.

The blood has already dried up and coagulated like the yellow soil.

Lu Xiaofeng, using his world-renowned two fingers, jabbed the yellow soil. This pair of fingers had broken countless sabers and swords belonging to famous heroes of the Wulin world. Yet he suddenly felt a stab of pain.

Because he knew that on the soil was his friends blood.

(Two)

The last time Lu Xiaofeng and One Sword Riding the Wind Liu Rugang [Liu willow, Ru Gang like/similar to steel] drank together was already seven months ago.

When Liu Rugang was slightly drunk, he suddenly poured two large bowls of wine and insisted that Lu Xiaofeng drank the toast with him.

He had his reasons.

We get drunk tonight, henceforth we part. Theres a good possibility that we wont see each other for thirty-five months. He said, Theres also a good possibility we wont see each other ever again.

Why? Lu Xiaofeng urgently asked.

Because early in the morning tomorrow, I am going to a place where the flowers are not fragrant, the birds do not sing, the fowls do not fly, the dogs do not jump, and the hares do not defecate.

What are you going to do?

Liu Chengfeng [riding the wind, see his title above] laughed. You know what I do, you also ought to know what I am going to do.

Liu Chengfeng was the first Sect Leader-disciple[2] of Ba Shan [Mt. Ba in eastern Sichuan], a direct disciple of the founder. His seven by seven, forty-nine hands turning-the-wind, dancing-the-willow sword may not be considered number one in Jianghu, but it could not be outside the big five either.

This kind of sword technique absolutely needed qinggong [lightness skill] to supplement it. His sword technique and qinggong were equally respected and admired by the people of the Wulin world.

Yet the reason people admired him the most was not his martial art skill, but his personality.

Throughout history, there were countless nouns people used to describe the willow [Liu]. Some say willows are like silk, some say willows are like snow. But whether it was silk or snow, in peoples eyes, willows have always carried soft/flexible connotation.

Naturally our Mr. Willow also had his soft side like silk or snow. His thorough thought was like silk, his anger was like snow, i.e. it would be dissolved in the blink of an eye.

But his character was as strong as steel.

Naturally Lu Xiaofeng knew what kind of man he was.

What you are going to do must be a very dangerous business, so you say such thing.

Liu Rugang did not answer. Not answering oftentimes equal to silently agree.

Can you tell me what you are going to do? Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Mr. Liu still did not say anything.

In this case, not talking means he really did not want Lu Xiaofeng to know what he was going to do.

No doubt it was a highly classified secret.

No doubt Lu Xiaofeng could be considered his best friend; if he was unwilling to speak in front of Lu Xiaofeng, no doubt that he would also be unwilling to speak in front of any other person.

Therefore, Lu Xiaofeng no longer asked.

Lu Xiaofeng only asked, The place you are going, where even rabbits do not defecate, what kind of place is that?

Liu Chengfeng was silent for a long time before he finally said, Even if I told you, you wouldnt know that place, but I can still tell you. He said, It is a small town faraway near the northwest border. The town is called Huangshi [lit. yellow stone], huang from huangjin [yellow gold], shi from shitou [rock/stone].

(Three)

Ever since they parted, Liu Chengfeng vanished from the face of the earth; seven, eight months passed, nobody saw his shadow. Nobody knew where he went.

Only Lu Xiaofeng knew. Because Liu Rugang always considered Lu Xiaofeng a friend with whom he could share a secret, a friend with whom he could share trials and tribulations.

But Lu Xiaofeng did not know what happened to him in that small town? Why did he suddenly disappear?

Lu Xiaofeng was a friend with enough yiqi [spirit of loyalty and self-sacrifice, code of brotherhood], plus he loved to meddle in other peoples business. Coming across this kind of mystery, what do you say he would do?

He, of course, hastened to the small town.

[1] Yellow sandy soil typical of north China.

[2] Orig. 掌门弟子 zhang men dizi, referring to a sect leader who still has elders/seniors in his sect. Zhuo Yihang of White Hair Demoness was a Sect Leader-disciple of Wudang Pai, i.e. he still had his martial uncles in Wudang, although he was the Sect Leader.

Thanks foxs. You are on a roll ....

Thanks! Goody- a new one!

Thanx alot for also translating this LAST and FINAL Lu Xiao Feng story!!

btw, what happened to Sha Man? They were going to retire together, weren't they? Did they have a falling out?
    Last edited by szfong; 11-18-13 at 01:33 PM.

I gotta catch up.

Thanks foxs

Bravo! With this translation it will complete the LXF adventures.

Camping! LXF Huat ah!

waiting for the new story

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

Wonderful. Another lxf story

Yeah waiting for Sha Man's appearance? Or does he have a new love in every book? Sorry, first time reading LXF was Book 6.. hehe... thanks foxs!

Thanks, foxs.

Looking forward to this new LXF adventure.

Default Chapter 2

Ysabel, I wanted to keep the momentum going (for me). Szfong, Clown, what happened was that Sha Man was actually the real princess of Prince Taiping. When she brought LXF to see his future in-laws, they did not like him because he was a wanderer without real job. Being a gentleman, LXF bowed out, leaving Sha Man broken hearted ... Slim, long time no see, how are you? Are you still traveling a lot? Ycb, Anh, DongBin, Justin, Dragonsense, Kyss and Jaya, I am glad you guys still like Lu Xiaofeng ...

I forgot to mention that my source divided Book 7 into two 'books' (sections, parts, whatever you want to call it). Each 'book' has 10 chapters each. Book 1 does not have any title. Book 2 does, but I won't spoil it for you.

Chapter 2 An extremely poor man.
    (Translated by Foxs)

(One)

Plateau, yellow sandy soil, sand storm.

The town of Huangshi was located in this sand storm-prone plateau. From a distance, rolling waves of yellow sandy soil looked like rolling waves of golden sand.

In this small town, there has always been a legend. Around here somewhere, there was a huge amount of buried treasure. There was nothing else in this treasure, except gold; a lot of gold, that nobody could even estimate how much there was.

Regrettably, nobody could find it, nobody has ever seen these gold. All they could see was the continually rolling waves of golden sand, blown by eternal wind on this plateau.

Gold is everybodys dream, but boundless golden sand was like nightmare. The dream of gold died out, the people who looked for gold have left. Over time, the small town slowly sank, so that nowadays it was a desolate town, with almost nobody ever travelled to it.

The only people left as inhabitants of this town were those who had nowhere else to go; they were already prepared to grow old and die in this place. Seeing an unfamiliar visitor from afar, they would always feel very happy and excited.

When Lu Xiaofeng arrived in this town, their attitude towards him was exactly like that.

Upon entering the town, Lu Xiaofeng felt that he had never seen such warmth and excitement. But the first thing he saw was a very poor street, and an extremely poor man.

Actually, this man could not be considered a man yet, because he was still a half grownup, but not a little child anymore. His clothes could not be considered clothes, it was no more than tattered rags. He was wearing an extremely languid posture as he sat under the eaves of a house on the corner of the street.

Actually, he could not be considered sitting either, rather, he curled up, just like a caterpillar curling up right there, or a small turtle curling up in its shell.

He had no money, he had no family, he had no friend, and had no future. He had nothing.

He was afraid.

He was afraid of everything. Therefore, he could only curl up in a ball, withdrawing into his shell, hiding from the most terrifying poverty, hunger, contempt and setback.

Because he was a kid, he actually did not know that he should be afraid of these things. No matter how he hid in his shell, he would never escape these things.

But when he saw Lu Xiaofeng, his eyes suddenly lit up. His pair of shiny eyes turned out to be a pair of big, lovely eyes.

When this pair of eyes saw Lu Xiaofeng, it simply looked like a hungry dog seeing a pile of dung, or a tortoise seeing a grain of mung bean. Fortunately Lu Xiaofeng was neither a mung bean nor a dog poo. When Lu Xiaofeng walked over to him, Lu Xiaofeng only wanted to ask a question.

When someone came to a strange place, and he was planning on staying in this place for a day, the first thing he wanted to ask was naturally where the inn around this place was, he wanted to find out where he could meet his most basic necessaity of board and lodging.

Inn? the kid laughed until even his nose was wrinkly. You want to know where the inn is? This place is so poor that even rabbits wont come here to crap, so poor that even flies and rats are dying of hunger; how could there be any inn?

Not even one inn in this place?

Not even half an inn in this place.

Then what happen if there is a traveler passing through and wants to spend the night?

Nothing. The little beggar said, Because basically nobody wants to pass through here. Even if they have to travel several dozen li farther, they would rather not pass through this place.

Lu Xiaofeng stared at this dirty, annoying, lazy, and talkative little beggar for half a day. [Translators note: this is literal translation, I leave it to the readers to interpret it as 12 hours or simply as a figure of speech.] He could not help but asking, Is this place really that poor?

The little beggar sighed. Not only poor, he said, It will practically drag the people to die in poverty. Not only it will drag me down to die in poverty, even if there are other people who wont be dragged down to die in poverty, they will be dragged down to at least half dead in poverty.

But it looks like you are not dead yet, Lu Xiaofeng said.

Its because I still have a bit of skill to survive.

What kind of skill?

I am a little beggar, I dont need much rice to survive. Poor people like me, no matter where we are, we will be able to survive.

Lu Xiaofeng laughed. I seem to remember you saying that the people in this place are so poor that they are going to die in poverty, how could they have any leftovers to feed you?

The little beggar also laughed, Da Shaoye [big young master], you look like a real Da Shaoye; the affair of a little beggar like me, naturally you wont understand.

Oh?

A little beggar like me, in a poor place where I am almost butchered and made into soup daily, yet I am still able to survive, naturally I have side business.

Side business? Lu Xiaofeng asked, What side business?

Speaking about this kind of things, it really involves a great deal of knowledge. The little beggar suddenly sat up straight and puffed his chest out, In this aspect, I can be considered an expert.

Lu Xiaofeng seemed to have more and more interest toward this little beggar.

The little beggar said, To tell you the truth, I have more than one side businesses. Too bad from among seventy, eighty businesses, only two can really be used to earn money.

Which two?

The first and most profitable is running into people like you, an outsider with more money than sense, who come to this place. He pointed to Lu Xiaofeng and continued, People with more money than sense like you, if I dont cheat some money, then I am not cheating in vain, but if I cheat your money, I am also cheating in vain.

You are damn right, Lu Xiaofeng said with a wry smile, And now I seem to admire you a little bit.

He asked the little beggar again, But if there is no sucker like me, what do you do?

Then I will have to rely on my second side business. The little beggar continued, My second side business is stealing; if there is any opportunity to steal, I steal, if I see money, I steal. There is no friend or relative, no matter what, no matter how much, I steal everything, leave nothing.

It was the little beggars doctrine of survival. But Lu Xiaofeng did not feel any disdain toward him at all, neither did he have any desire to curl his fist and give a big punch on his face; he felt a gut-wrenching grief instead.

Arent there many, many reputable people in this world whose survival doctrine is exactly the same as this shameless little beggar?

(Two)

This small town was indeed very poor. Lu Xiaofeng has travelled everywhere, even to the other end of the world, yet has never seen any place more desolate and more impoverished that this place.

He really could not imagine why someone like Liu Chengfeng would come to a place like this? Even more difficult to understand: how could anything happen in this kind of place, something deserving Liu Chengfengs attention that disregarding the distance of a thousand li he came here? Not only that, whatever it was, it made Liu Chengfeng felt that there was a life or death danger in it.

A small, unknown town. A world renowned master swordsman. These two are not supposed to mix together.

The strange thing was that Liu Chengfeng seemed to have some kind of mysterious and strange relationship with this little town.

Stranger still, Liu Chengfeng seemed to really disappear from this little mysterious world.

Therefore, Lu Xiaofeng was determined to find the relationship between the little town and his good friend.

Unfortunately, the only person he met so far was this wretched, pitiful, yet a bit endearing, little beggar.

Lu Xiaofeng had been to a lot of places, he had wandered to the ends of the earth, he had roamed big and small, all kinds and sorts, of cities, towns, villages, and desolate places. No matter where he went, there must be a least one grocery store.

Even if that place did not have any hotel, no brothel, no linen and silk fabric shop, no bakery and pastry shop, no horse and mule market, no grain store, but at least there must be a grocery store.

Because grocery store is where people find supplies of their most basic needs.

Throughout his life, Lu Xiaofeng has seen countless strange, curious grocery stores. Some grocery stores could even supply some unusual, special requests. But Lu Xiaofeng has never seen any grocery store as peculiar as this grocery store.

Naturally this grocery store was located in this small town, yet the name of the grocery store was Big Eye. Naturally it was that little-turtle-like little beggar who brought him to this store.

The signboard above the store has already become like a piece of gravestone by the wind, the sand and the soot. It was engraved with a large eye. Big Eye, the Big Eye Grocery Store.

Lu Xiaofeng shook his head, The name of this store is very strange.

Its not strange at all. The little beggar said, The owner of the store is called Wang Dayan [lit. big eye], its only natural that his grocery store is called the Big Eye.

Even after hearing this explanation, Lu Xiaofeng still did not understand it.

In fact, anybody who has not seen Wang Dayan would never fully understand the meaning of those words.

Because people like Wang Dayan were indeed rarely seen.

thanks for another one!

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs. It seems that Gu Long was inspired by western cowboy movies when writing this story.

Thanks foxs. Glad you got the first chapter out of the way ..

Sha Man a Taiping princess? Thks foxs ...

Thanks foxs

foxs, you're the man! Jia You.