View Poll Results: Should I use pinyin or English to translate names which transliterated from English?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pinyin

23 41.07%
  • English

33 58.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coiled Dragon Poll

Default Coiled Dragon Poll

After having read through the entirety of Stellar Transformations (after having been introduced to it by He-Man's exceptional translation, which you can see here: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...ransformations), I have begun reading what I understand is a 'prequel' type novel, 盘龙 - Coiled Dragon, by the same author. I find it enjoyable, so I am going to begin translating it, as I have a 2-month free period coming up. Coiled Dragon is also a 仙侠 type of novel, with both some martial arts and lots of magic and magical beasts. Before I do though, I want to get everyone's input on one thing I haven't made up my mind on:

In this novel, the author deliberately transliterates a lot of foreign names into Chinese characters. I have not yet come a decision on how to translate them back into English, and seek everyone's input. Should I use pinyin? Or should I try and use what I believe to be the original English name?

As an example, there is a character called 沃顿; in Pinyin, this would be Wodun, but the original English name is Wharton. So which would it be? Wodun, or Wharton? As another example, another minor character's name is 兰普森, ie Lanpusen in Pinyin; in English, the name would be Lampson. Which should I use?

If I translate in Pinyin, I would translate faster, but the names would sound weird. If I translate back into English, it would take more time, but the names wouldn't sound as nonsensical.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 05-07-14 at 04:31 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks Ren Wo Xing.

I'd prefer the deliberate transliteration retained. However, it's not a strong preference; so either way is okay with me.
    I just think the author meant to retain the novel as wholly "Chinese", with only nodding acknowlegement of some 'foreign' influence by using "transliteration" instead of making up totally "Chinese" names.

EDIT:
    Seeing that he-man knows that the author intended to use English names to give a 'Western' flavor to the novel, perhaps English names would be good for the translation. However, I think a glossary of names (giving both pinyin and English) would be good, whatever you choose to use in the translation text.
    Last edited by Ahoxan; 05-07-14 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks for thinking about translating another 'new wave' Chinese fantasy novel into English, Ren, especially when this is a freaking long novel (about 230% as long as Jin Yong's Tian Long Ba Bu). Personally I think you should translate all the names into English and not just pinyin them because the English names are what the author intended to use when he wrote this novel. He wanted to built a Western-based world with Westerner-like characters for this prequel as opposed to the mostly Eastern-based world of Stellar Transformations.
    My page
    Stellar Transformations Glossary

NO SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED IN THE TRANSLATION THREAD!

TO POST AND DISCUSS SPOILERS, GO TO THE SPOILER THREAD!

I would prefer the English names as well. Personally I find transliterations to be very distracting as I try to convert each name when I see it -although it would seem in the limited examples you provided that these English names are not particularly common or modern names.

If the names were like John Smith I think I would be annoyed to see transliterations of it but given a name like "Wodun", it's uncommon enough that I wouldn't even think about what the English equivalent would be... except now that I know...
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

I THINK PINYIN WOULD BE BETTER PLUS THE EASIER IT IS FOR YOU TO TRANSLATE THE BETTER RIGHT

Can't wait for the translation.
    I voted pinyin for the translation speed, and the names given in the examples do not seem to make much difference to me.

I vote English for those foreign character names because I think it would help with distinguishing the western and eastern characters. If I recall correctly, the Duke of Mountain Deer was comprised of a mix of a eastern and western (Loucha) characters which Fox retained the foreign sounding names as opposed to transliteration.

How about both? Main text in Pinyin and English name in brackets? In a situation where you cannot find the original English name you can leave it blank for the moment and revert when the name is found.

Thks Ren for starting another exciting novel and a very long one too.

I say English. If you used pinyin, it would be like if a western author had Chinese names in a book, which you translated back into weird Chinese transliteration instead of the original characters. So 任我行 becomes Run Wah-sheeng, and then you transliterate it back into 润哇四音 or something? Seems weird. (Although, I wouldn't mind seeing footnotes with explanation of the transliteration, cuz I find those things interesting.)
    Current Translation: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Recommended Translation: Heroes Shed No Tears

hi ren help me with a link for the chinese translation pls.

Dear Ren
    It takes dedication and time to translate especially lots of time. Suggest you go with the easiest and fastest method for speed. We readers can absorb any method. A big thanks for undertaking this translation.

For a few more examples:

艾伯特 - Aibaite, or Albert?
    詹尼 - Zhaini, or Jenny?
    丽贝卡 - Libeika, or Rebecca?
    贾克斯 - Jiakesi, or Jax?

Thanks all; this is helping me to come to a decision!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I'm easy either way, Ren, altho I voted Pinyin. Not sure how many characters are in the novel with names like these. Coiled Dragon here we come!

I wonder if the last name is Jacques?

I would prefer quality over quantity personally, so I definitely stick by English. And yeah, I think Jacques is probably better, although I think Jax is a pretty cool name.

I look forward to the translation!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    For a few more examples:

艾伯特 - Aibaite, or Albert?
    詹尼 - Zhaini, or Jenny?
    丽贝卡 - Libeika, or Rebecca?
    贾克斯 - Jiakesi, or Jax?

Thanks all; this is helping me to come to a decision!
    Assuming it's a different universe, zhaini sounds better than Jenny. Exotic and gives the impression it's not the human race as we know it. Jiakesi or Jak gives same 'feel'
    Last edited by ycb5959; 05-08-14 at 09:04 PM.

I still think that Western references should be in English.

In Cowboy Bebop, I want Spike, Faye and Jet, not Sipaike, Feiya and Jiete.

In Full Metal Alchemist, I want Edward, Alphonse and Roy Mustang, not Aidehua, Afangsi and Luo Musetang.

In Trigun, I want Vash, Meryl, Nicholas D. Wolfwood, not Faixiu, Meili'er and Nigulaisi Wu'erfowude.

All of those take place in sci-fi/fantasy worlds that contain Western and Asian elements.

Incidentally, I'm more than happy to help out with the name translation if it would save you time. I know that time is of the essence. Sometimes in my translations I end up wasting a lot of time researching a phrase or name, so I totally get the speed argument.

I think someone already suggested posting the name in pinyin first then to go back and edit the English names in (search and replace). Presumably you are using Google translate for the English names. If they sound OK just use them (consistently), if the translation doesn't look good then just post the names here for feedback if required.

I agree with CFT.

As an alternative, you can create a glossary for all the English names and updated when necessary. Every time there is new English name and you are not sure about the English name, you can post the name here for feedback, while continuing the translation (you don't have to post the translation until you are satisfied with the name). This way I think the speed hit will be minimal.

Thank you for translating this novel. I think the timing couldn't be better. The Stellar Transformation translation has not really revealed the big secrets, so for those that haven't read ahead then reading The Coiled Dragon in parallel would be the best.